• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

Ok bbq gaf I need your help. I've been eyeing an American style smoker for a while, the type with the little chamber on the side and I'm pretty certain this is the year I dive in. Problem is I'm from the UK and that's not how we bbq at all so I need some real basic questions answered.

So I figure with the smaller chamber that's where you place the charcoal and wood chips for smoking and the meat in the main chamber. So in the main chamber do you need just the charcoal or both? The ad on the one I'm looking at mentioned something about a charcoal prepper or something like that. What's one of those and do you need one? How do you balance temperatures out and keep them well balanced over so many hours?

I'm sure these questions are a little dumb, but the bbq standards I'm used to are throwing meat over charcoal til it's done and I want to try the real deal for myself.

ag-my001

Sounds like a standard offset smoker. You can put charcoal in the main part for direct grilling (think burgers, sausage, chicken beasts, etc.). For actual smoking, you'll put coals and chips (even better, use logs if available) only in the side part. This way, only indirect heat and smoke are entering the main chamber, so you can keep the temperature lower for longer.

ColdPizza

Banned
Ok bbq gaf I need your help. I've been eyeing an American style smoker for a while, the type with the little chamber on the side and I'm pretty certain this is the year I dive in. Problem is I'm from the UK and that's not how we bbq at all so I need some real basic questions answered.

So I figure with the smaller chamber that's where you place the charcoal and wood chips for smoking and the meat in the main chamber. So in the main chamber do you need just the charcoal or both? The ad on the one I'm looking at mentioned something about a charcoal prepper or something like that. What's one of those and do you need one? How do you balance temperatures out and keep them well balanced over so many hours?

I'm sure these questions are a little dumb, but the bbq standards I'm used to are throwing meat over charcoal til it's done and I want to try the real deal for myself.

Got a picture of the unit you're looking at?

Sounds like a standard offset smoker. You can put charcoal in the main part for direct grilling (think burgers, sausage, chicken beasts, etc.). For actual smoking, you'll put coals and chips (even better, use logs if available) only in the side part. This way, only indirect heat and smoke are entering the main chamber, so you can keep the temperature lower for longer.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. He might be better off just straight up burning wood depending on the chamber size.

Check out this series of videos.

https://youtu.be/pGZ39yYxeBk

Got a picture of the unit you're looking at?

YFdmhJE.jpg

ColdPizza

Banned
How readily available are charcoal briquettes where you live?

I mean, with a smoke box that small you'll be tending to the fuel quite often. That's just the reality of most smokers. Unless you go electric or pellet you're doing this as a labor of love and tending to the smoker to make sure the temperature stays even and has enough fuel.

If you can find briquettes you could try doing a minion method by putting unlit coals on the bottom and start off with 10 or 20 lit coals with wood chunks.

Otherwise I'd just recommend doing straight up logs.

Not sure we have much of them around, or should I say literally never seen them. However that said I don't mind tending to it often anyway, Just kinda a little unsure of how these actually work lol. I'll probably need to look up a few videos first though as I've been relegated to a plain gas bbq most of the time and never tried smoking.

Unfortunately I doubt I could go bigger either since space is a slight concern with our shed being mostly full. I'll definitely need to remember logs. Most places seem to only sell chips round here but I can get them online anyway.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Those are designed to use wood logs. I use charcoal on mine at first to heat the metal and that's it, not necessary on metal that thin though. Regular firewood will be fine, Hickory Mesquite and Oak are popular in my region. I use mostly Oak.

You'll need to practice and get the hang of it. Stick burners probably take the most time to master but well worth the effort.

Those are designed to use wood logs. I use charcoal on mine at first to heat the metal and that's it, not necessary on metal that thin though. Regular firewood will be fine, Hickory Mesquite and Oak are popular in my region. I use mostly Oak.

You'll need to practice and get the hang of it. Stick burners probably take the most time to master but well worth the effort.

Oh awesome. I don't mind struggling my way through learning a bit with the payoff at the finish line. Not too sure what, if any decent woods I'll have access to easily so I'll need to look into that first. Annoyingly wood chip is much easier to come by here. To be honest it's all new for me so not even sure of the basics like for smoking do you load up both ends etc, which end do you smoke the meat in and that jazz.

I'll have to take a look to see what I can get my hands on easily in the area for sure. It's looking like something intended for wood chip might work out better for me just because of access to the stuff but I figured I'd be moving back towards something more basic then.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Oh awesome. I don't mind struggling my way through learning a bit with the payoff at the finish line. Not too sure what, if any decent woods I'll have access to easily so I'll need to look into that first. Annoyingly wood chip is much easier to come by here. To be honest it's all new for me so not even sure of the basics like for smoking do you load up both ends etc, which end do you smoke the meat in and that jazz.

I'll have to take a look to see what I can get my hands on easily in the area for sure. It's looking like something intended for wood chip might work out better for me just because of access to the stuff but I figured I'd be moving back towards something more basic then.

Firewood goes in the small chamber on the left, called the firebox. Food goes in the larger chamber. Search youtube for "offset smoker" to get a basic understanding of how they work.

ESBL

So my neighbor just gave me an 18lb turkey. I plan on putting it in a brine for a night. If I smoke it, do I need it at a higher cooking temp than a pork or beef??

Make sure the turkey hasn't been injected with a brine already otherwise its gonna be salty as fuuuck

Firewood goes in the small chamber on the left, called the firebox. Food goes in the larger chamber. Search youtube for "offset smoker" to get a basic understanding of how they work.

Watched a bunch last night. Really wanting to get into it now. It's a totally different way of doing BBQ than I've been raised on. My only real concern at this point is that my back garden is cramped and it wouldn't be too far off the oil tank, obviously a recipe for disaster. The best I could get would be say 6ft clearance from it by having it right by the house but I suppose that may be ok.

Another worry is I'm looking at two which look identical practically but one at £60 and the other at £120. I'm not sure if I should spend the extra on the dearer one or just get a digi thermometer and opt for the savings.

Only other worries would be smoke and neighbours but as long as I'm actually running it well it shouldn't be a problem. Well provided what I heard last night about a thin almost blue smoke and high oxygen being the best conditions to cook in.

ColdPizza

Banned
Watched a bunch last night. Really wanting to get into it now. It's a totally different way of doing BBQ than I've been raised on. My only real concern at this point is that my back garden is cramped and it wouldn't be too far off the oil tank, obviously a recipe for disaster. The best I could get would be say 6ft clearance from it by having it right by the house but I suppose that may be ok.

Another worry is I'm looking at two which look identical practically but one at £60 and the other at £120. I'm not sure if I should spend the extra on the dearer one or just get a digi thermometer and opt for the savings.

Only other worries would be smoke and neighbours but as long as I'm actually running it well it shouldn't be a problem. Well provided what I heard last night about a thin almost blue smoke and high oxygen being the best conditions to cook in.

The smoke isn't acrid so I can't really see people complaining about the occasional cook...especially if you give them some of the food. =)

Dan-o

Another worry is I'm looking at two which look identical practically but one at £60 and the other at £120.

I strongly suggest looking at them in person. You want to see how much potential there is for air leakage. If air (smoke) can leak out all of the sides, then it won't be as efficient. It should be able to seal up pretty good everywhere except where there are vents.

Good luck! Smoking is a blast. And don't forget: LOW & SLOW! :)

GiJoccin

When I'm adding coals to my Weber smokey mountain for a long smoke, should I be adding fully lit coals, half lit coals, or unlit coals? Let's say to a low and slow brisket?

ColdPizza

Banned
When I'm adding coals to my Weber smokey mountain for a long smoke, should I be adding fully lit coals, half lit coals, or unlit coals? Let's say to a low and slow brisket?

You can do either or...if you need to bring up heat right away, do lit. If you're just adding coals and temp is fine but you need to extend the cook, you can do unlit.

Rimshot

So I ended up selling my Landmann Triton gas grill as it felt it was steaming the meat more than grilling it. I have now been a long while without a grill, and it's getting really hard now that the weather is getting better :) So I was thinking of trying a gas grill again (not allowed to have charcoal where I live).

The ones I've been thinking about are:

Weber Spirit Original E-310
Broil King Baron 320
Napoleon Rogue R425

Not sure but it feels like you get more for the money with Broil King, but then on the other hand that is how I ended up with the Landmann that I regretted. What do you all think between the three?

Is it also worth the money to upgrade to models that have an extra burner for searing? I'm on the fence there but all of them seem to come with a side burner and I don't want to pay extra for a side burner that I will never use.

zbarron

So I ended up selling my Landmann Triton gas grill as it felt it was steaming the meat more than grilling it. I have now been a long while without a grill, and it's getting really hard now that the weather is getting better :) So I was thinking of trying a gas grill again (not allowed to have charcoal where I live).

The ones I've been thinking about are:

Weber Spirit Original E-310
Broil King Baron 320
Napoleon Rogue R425

Not sure but it feels like you get more for the money with Broil King, but then on the other hand that is how I ended up with the Landmann that I regretted. What do you all think between the three?

Is it also worth the money to upgrade to models that have an extra burner for searing? I'm on the fence there but all of them seem to come with a side burner and I don't want to pay extra for a side burner that I will never use.

I don't know gas grills well, but I know all three of those got gold medals from Amazingribs.com and they are from good brands and look great. I don't think you'll be dissapointed by any of them. Good choices.

What were you planning on cooking with them? I like IR burners since it solves one of the downsides of using gas vs. charcoal in that it reaches really high temperatures that make great sears on meat. I don't know what the price difference is though, and you'll still get tasty food with the regular burner.

edit: It seems I was looking at the Broil King Signet 320 review.

Rimshot

I don't know gas grills well, but I know all three of those got gold medals from Amazingribs.com and they are from good brands and look great. I don't think you'll be dissapointed by any of them. Good choices.

What were you planning on cooking with them? I like IR burners since it solves one of the downsides of using gas vs. charcoal in that it reaches really high temperatures that make great sears on meat. I don't know what the price difference is though, and you'll still get tasty food with the regular burner.

edit: It seems I was looking at the Broil King Signet 320 review.

Hi, and thanks for the input. The IR burner ones are at the least a third of the price more :/ I like to cook steaks and skewers with meat and vegetables on. My SO likes to eat vegetables, chicken and fish over red meat though so it becomes a lot of that. The reason I look at those three is that they have three burners, that I hope will allow me to try the amazing BBQ I see in this thread. But to be honest I never tried it in my previous four burner grill so I might be fooling myself. Perhaps it's good enough with a 2 burner one, or a weber Q3200? In sweden there's not a lot of price difference on the Q3200 and the Broil King Baron 320 though...

Edit: what's the Signet series? (better / worse than Baron)

zbarron

Hi, and thanks for the input. The IR burner ones are at the least a third of the price more :/ I like to cook steaks and skewers with meat and vegetables on. My SO likes to eat vegetables, chicken and fish over red meat though so it becomes a lot of that. The reason I look at those three is that they have three burners, that I hope will allow me to try the amazing BBQ I see in this thread. But to be honest I never tried it in my previous four burner grill so I might be fooling myself. Perhaps it's good enough with a 2 burner one, or a weber Q3200? In sweden there's not a lot of price difference on the Q3200 and the Broil King Baron 320 though...

Edit: what's the Signet series? (better / worse than Baron)
I honestly wouldn't recommend smoking/BBQing on a gas grill. As a safety feature they have to be less air tight. If they were as air tight as a charcoal grill and you turned the gas on for a few minutes before pressing the ignition it would essentially be a bomb and explode. They do make gas/electric smokers that give decent results like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20051311-2-Door-Propane-Smoker/dp/B004W4NDPY

More space is nice however for different heat zones, like you can turn the right burner on high, keep the left off and the middle on low. That way you can sear on one side then move it to the other to slowly cook through. This setup is also nice for cooking things that require different temperatures.

Another option for outdoor gas cookery is getting an outdoor griddle like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009971BM6?psc=1
I just got the smaller 17" portable model and am loving it. I'm making hibachi stir fry on it tonight.

Edit: Honestly not sure the difference between the two. Amazingribs.com only offers a review of the Signet model

Rimshot

I honestly wouldn't recommend smoking/BBQing on a gas grill. As a safety feature they have to be less air tight. If they were as air tight as a charcoal grill and you turned the gas on for a few minutes before pressing the ignition it would essentially be a bomb and explode. They do make gas/electric smokers that give decent results like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20051311-2-Door-Propane-Smoker/dp/B004W4NDPY

More space is nice however for different heat zones, like you can turn the right burner on high, keep the left off and the middle on low. That way you can sear on one side then move it to the other to slowly cook through. This setup is also nice for cooking things that require different temperatures.

Another option for outdoor gas cookery is getting an outdoor griddle like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009971BM6?psc=1
I just got the smaller 17" portable model and am loving it. I'm making hibachi stir fry on it tonight.

Edit: Honestly not sure the difference between the two. Amazingribs.com only offers a review of the Signet model

The outdoor griddle you linked doesn't seem to be available in Sweden. Searching on the brand gave me boots and camera lenses as results. However it does look awesome.

ColdPizza

Banned
I honestly wouldn't recommend smoking/BBQing on a gas grill.

Co-signed. I've been there, I've tried it. You'll end up wasting a ton of time and gas to turn out with a subpar product.

As for gas grills, I'm admittedly way out of touch with what's even good anymore. I'm still on my Weber Genesis Silver A from 2003 and it just keeps on going. I've only had to replace the flavorizer bars, gas tubes, and igniter. The shell and frame are spotless with no hints of us. That's 14 years of being outside in North East US conditions. It's for this reason I recommend either the Weber or the Broil King since they have that porcelain/enamel coated exterior over stainless steel.

My latest issue of Consumer Reports rates gas grills of various sizes so I can share those with you later, but I recall the Napoleon being at the top of the list with the Weber being third or so. I believe HomeDepot's NexGrill (I think it's a HD brand) came in second.

I wouldn't pay an extra $300-400 for the Napoleon though. I don't think it would buy you much more convenience or reliability over the life span of it.

I should've taken pictures but I did a hobo style grilling tonight. I used just the chimney and filled it half way with charcoal.
Roasted marshmallows first.
Then I grabbed my 6" cast iron and it fit over the chimney just perfectly. I fried up some cheese.
Made frozen waffles.
Then I got a piece of frozen salmon and cooked it. I let it defrost for a bit in the skillet until the top wasn't frozen before adding a cajun seasoning mix to the top. I used a lid to let it simmer. Then I put it in the bowl I used for the waffles and the little bit of maple syrup made it so amazing. Nice kick on top with the sweetness.

It was kind of fun. No big messes. Not much to clean up. Completely self contained. I even got my cast iron nice and clean and seasoned again on top of the chimney.

Podge293

Howdy folks got directed here by iron gaf.

Planning to do a slow cook on a pork shoulder pretty soon so I've a few questions if you don't mind.

1) any suggestions on rubs?
2) should I apply the run a number of days before or just before I start?

Thanks in advance!

ColdPizza

Banned

Planning to do a slow cook on a pork shoulder pretty soon so I've a few questions if you don't mind.

Thanks in advance!

I prefer to (after removing the membrane from the bone side of the ribs) apply rub the night before cooking, and then again right before. But if I'm in a rush, doing it right before works too.

zbarron

I prefer to (after removing the membrane from the bone side of the ribs) apply rub the night before cooking, and then again right before. But if I'm in a rush, doing it right before works too.

Membrane on a shoulder? I think you read that as ribs.

My wife is really sensitive to as she describes a "hammy taste" and when I use a rub with salt in advanced it almost cures the meat. So now I rub right before putting it on.

ColdPizza

Banned
Membrane on a shoulder? I think you read that as ribs.

My wife is really sensitive to as she describes a "hammy taste" and when I use a rub with salt in advanced it almost cures the meat. So now I rub right before putting it on.

Oh man. You're right.

Same premise though. Prefer overnight rubs and then a reapplication right before.

Also, Z, some pit masters have saltless versions of their rubs they apply the night before. This could help that.

zbarron

Oh man. You're right.

Same premise though. Prefer overnight rubs and then a reapplication right before.

Also, Z, some pit masters have saltless versions of their rubs they apply the night before. This could help that.

Yeah. If I recall, Meathead's Memphis Dust is salt free. I'm experimenting to figure out how best to get rid of this "hammy" taste I'm entirely unable to detect.

Thanks in advance!

1) Rubs: I've used Salt Lick, Paulie Spice, but now mainly using Oakridge BBQ: Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken Rub. If it is just me, they also have some great hot rubs that I'll add.

2) I do it either way depending what smoker I use.
-If I use my GMG pellet smoker, it has WiFi and an phone app. I'll do the rub the night before. Then in the morning from my bed, I'll turn on the smoker and then go back to bed until the smoker is about ready.
-My offset: I'll start the fire, come in and do the rub.

I strongly suggest looking at them in person. You want to see how much potential there is for air leakage. If air (smoke) can leak out all of the sides, then it won't be as efficient. It should be able to seal up pretty good everywhere except where there are vents.

Good luck! Smoking is a blast. And don't forget: LOW & SLOW! :)

I've been trying to follow this advice but damn is it hard in the UK. All the stores just sell gas BBQ units and the only one I've found that differs was like one of those egg shaped smokers and it was oddly also gas and the equivalent of around $1500. Way too high for my ball park.

I'm thinking since I live near a US air base that looking for a second hand unit locally might be the only way to get a look at one rather than order and hope. Outside of that I think I may have to ask for a budget recommendation from here to order since getting a quality check in myself is proving difficult.

Damn this tiny island and it's crappy gas BBQ obsession.

I've been trying to follow this advice but damn is it hard in the UK. All the stores just sell gas BBQ units and the only one I've found that differs was like one of those egg shaped smokers and it was oddly also gas and the equivalent of around $1500. Way too high for my ball park.

I'm thinking since I live near a US air base that looking for a second hand unit locally might be the only way to get a look at one rather than order and hope. Outside of that I think I may have to ask for a budget recommendation from here to order since getting a quality check in myself is proving difficult.

Damn this tiny island and it's crappy gas BBQ obsession.

Not sure if your set on that offset smoker style but I highly recommend a webber kettle grill and a slow n sear setup. Its what Ive learned to smoke on and is foolproof pretty much once you get the hang of it,not to mention it doubles as a smoker and a grill. They last a long time too if you keep em cleaned up,worth the $$$ imo.

https://abcbarbecue.com/product/slow-n-sear-plus/

https://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product-category/charcoal-barbecues/

andycapps

Yeah. If I recall, Meathead's Memphis Dust is salt free. I'm experimenting to figure out how best to get rid of this "hammy" taste I'm entirely unable to detect.
It is salt free but you're supposed to put on kosher salt beforehand.

That's the rub I use for pork.

Not sure if your set on that offset smoker style but I highly recommend a webber kettle grill and a slow n sear setup. Its what Ive learned to smoke on and is foolproof pretty much once you get the hang of it,not to mention it doubles as a smoker and a grill. They last a long time too if you keep em cleaned up,worth the $$$ imo.

https://abcbarbecue.com/product/slow-n-sear-plus/

https://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product-category/charcoal-barbecues/

I'm definitely going to give that some consideration. Unlike the offset smokers it seems there's actually a shop that stock these in the local town! They're probably order only but this seems like my best shot to be honest.

About to smoke my first thing ever. I chose chicken. Well my wife chose chicken. Hopefully it goes well.

Good luck! Remember no peeking.

I'm definitely going to give that some consideration. Unlike the offset smokers it seems there's actually a shop that stock these in the local town! They're probably order only but this seems like my best shot to be honest.

Not to mention there are a few of us here with this setup so we'll be able to help with any questions :)

Nothing beats Meathead's Memphis Dust for pork, IMO.

I like it but there was too much ginger in it imo,once i cut that almost out i liked it much more.

Best method for cleaning my racks? Treat them the same as barbecue or ?

Yep scrape em down with a grill brush. If you want em super clean spray em with oven cleaner and rest it in a trash bag for a few hours then wipe em clean.

Not to mention there are a few of us here with this setup so we'll be able to help with any questions :)

Think I might have a few for you already. I've been looking at the compacts, since realistically I'll be cooking for smaller groups and often probably for 2-3 with the max being about 6-7. I'm trying to decide between these two since they both seem to be decent value for the money.

https://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/compact-47cm/

and

https://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/kettle-plus-gbs-47cm/

So I'm just curious is there much difference in the two to actually warrant being more than double the price? Self cleaning is nice and all but not a game changer for me. Not sure what the difference between the standard and the GBS cooking grate is though? If it's not really that big of a deal it's looking like I could probably opt for the 57cm instead and still save money versus the GBS. Rust protection is nice too but I've got a shed I could slide that in easily.

Also how would you rate the accuracy of the temp readouts on them? Decent enough to work with or get a digi as a back up?

Those slow n' sears btw, are they as basic as they look? Just wondering since it looks like I could probably make one at my mates with a plasma cutter, welder etc.

zbarron

Think I might have a few for you already. I've been looking at the compacts, since realistically I'll be cooking for smaller groups and often probably for 2-3 with the max being about 6-7. I'm trying to decide between these two since they both seem to be decent value for the money.

https://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/compact-47cm/

and

https://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/kettle-plus-gbs-47cm/

So I'm just curious is there much difference in the two to actually warrant being more than double the price? Self cleaning is nice and all but not a game changer for me. Not sure what the difference between the standard and the GBS cooking grate is though? If it's not really that big of a deal it's looking like I could probably opt for the 57cm instead and still save money versus the GBS. Rust protection is nice too but I've got a shed I could slide that in easily.

Also how would you rate the accuracy of the temp readouts on them? Decent enough to work with or get a digi as a back up?

Those slow n' sears btw, are they as basic as they look? Just wondering since it looks like I could probably make one at my mates with a plasma cutter, welder etc.
I personally wouldn't go for the 47cm. I have the 57 equivalent and wouldn't want any smaller even for two people. Also remember if you're grilling with the two zone method or smoking similarly you really only have about half that space available for a given zone.

The thermometers aren't all that accurate. For grilling they work well enough since they are accurate relative to itself, meaning you can tell when your grill is hot, medium or not that hot. For smoking their not good enough. You want your thermometer at grate level and those only measure how hot it is up in the dome. It's worse when you use something like the Slow N Sear since it gives the temperature for the hot side, not the low n slow side which you care about.

I own a Slow N Sear and while I love it and absolutely find it worth the money I don't know how much it costs for you to import it so it might not be worth the asking price. It is as simple as it looks. The things that's nice about it is how it fits the curved part perfectly and it's nice thick stainless steel that has a good welding job. If it's within your skill set go ahead and make one. If you want to try something simpler you could just use firebricks set up like this.
weber-minionmethod--180u3y.jpg

That'll get you about 2/3 the way there for about $10.

It won't have the water reservoir obviously, but it's not 100% needed and you could always use a disposable pie plate full of water on the other side under the meat if you want.

I have the self cleaning and while I can get by with out it for sure,it has helped to scrape some of the tougher crud out pretty effortlessly. On my model it kicks it down into a bowl to help collect it but I usually do that plus tilt it over to get the rest out. So its a small convienience on the self clean

As far as grates it shouldnt matter really,you could always upgrade if needed latter. The standard grates should be just fine. Oh and Replacement grates are cheap too.

Both should have some sort of rust protection and if your keeping it in a shed you should be good to go there.

Temp readout isnt the best honestly,I use a digital one with mine,its really a cool too to have. Zbarron has a cool one with a phone app.

And you could totally make your own SnS. What makes theirs awesome is the quality of metal I guess.

I see that the ones your looking at are more shallow than the Original kettle, which the SnS supports. Not sure if they make one for the 47cm. size. Also If I were to choose
id go for the 57cm one that you could get for middle ground price. Having the extra space for when you need it will come in handy!

I personally wouldn't go for the 47cm. I have the 57 equivalent and wouldn't want any smaller even for two people. Also remember if you're grilling with the two zone method or smoking similarly you really only have about half that space available for a given zone.

The thermometers aren't all that accurate. For grilling they work well enough since they are accurate relative to itself, meaning you can tell when your grill is hot, medium or not that hot. For smoking their not good enough. You want your thermometer at grate level and those only measure how hot it is up in the dome. It's worse when you use something like the Slow N Sear since it gives the temperature for the hot side, not the low n slow side which you care about.

I own a Slow N Sear and while I love it and absolutely find it worth the money I don't know how much it costs for you to import it so it might not be worth the asking price. It is as simple as it looks. The things that's nice about it is how it fits the curved part perfectly and it's nice thick stainless steel that has a good welding job. If it's within your skill set go ahead and make one. If you want to try something simpler you could just use firebricks set up like this.
weber-minionmethod--180u3y.jpg

That'll get you about 2/3 the way there for about $10.

It won't have the water reservoir obviously, but it's not 100% needed and you could always use a disposable pie plate full of water on the other side under the meat if you want.

Thanks for the advice! I'll probably look at the 57 cm model then. To be honest I'm not really seeing what the GBS would gain me outside of an easier access grill and since most of it's use would likely be for smoking it's even less benefit since the removable section is the middle. Plus that extra distance is likely going to be important for smoking as you mentioned.

Yeah I get the feeling the Slow n Sear would cost quite a hefty amount to import since it seems well built and likely pretty heavy. To be honest I'm not particularly skilled but will be guided and/or assisted by someone who is so I'm probably going to try mimic the design with whatever materials I can get and see if it's worth making a high quality one myself. Otjherwise I'll likely use the makeshift method in that pic whilst I sort out something more permanent.

To be honest I was a little worried about temp readouts being affected by the close proximity of the heat source. Reckon it would be a good idea to invest that little bit more for a dual thermometer to monitor the meat itself too?

I have the self cleaning and while I can get by with out it for sure,it has helped to scrape some of the tougher crud out pretty effortlessly. On my model it kicks it down into a bowl to help collect it but I usually do that plus tilt it over to get the rest out. So its a small convienience on the self clean

As far as grates it shouldnt matter really,you could always upgrade if needed latter. The standard grates should be just fine. Oh and Replacement grates are cheap too.

Both should have some sort of rust protection and if your keeping it in a shed you should be good to go there.

Temp readout isnt the best honestly,I use a digital one with mine,its really a cool too to have. Zbarron has a cool one with a phone app.

And you could totally make your own SnS. What makes theirs awesome is the quality of metal I guess.

I see that the ones your looking at are more shallow than the Original kettle, which the SnS supports. Not sure if they make one for the 47cm. size. Also If I were to choose
id go for the 57cm one that you could get for middle ground price. Having the extra space for when you need it will come in handy!

Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards the 57 cm now. To be honest since smoking will no doubt be my main use for it I'd consider the 67cm beast but the price difference jumps too quick then due to size increase and being the premium model. Still a 57cm should be fine I imagine. To be honest at this point my options are this or make an offset myself but I'm really not convinced I can do a high enough quality job of sealing it all up well so this is looking like the right choice. To be honest the 57cm is a really good price for what it is anyway by the looks of it. I won't lie the self cleaning is pretty tempting, but I guess I'll need to decide whether it's going to be worth whatever extra it costs in the local store. If it's not too much difference I'll likely go for that since I'm thinking long term investment if I look after it well.

zbarron

It depends on how much more the asking price. My answer is a resounding "Probably."

With BBQ it's often done when it "feels" done. BBQ is a lot less scientific than most cooking. That said by having the second probe you can at least have an idea of when it's getting close to being done. If you only have one probe in your smoker you can use it and then use an instant read thermometer for your meat.

And yeah as LocknessMobster said I have a thermometer I really love. It will give you a readout like this:
34122347334_a5514c82e1_b.jpg

By having the full graph it's a lot easier to predict where the temperature is heading. And it's also a great way of telling how stable your smoke is and how your skill and setup are.

It depends on how much more the asking price. My answer is a resounding "Probably."

With BBQ it's often done when it "feels" done. BBQ is a lot less scientific than most cooking. That said by having the second probe you can at least have an idea of when it's getting close to being done. If you only have one probe in your smoker you can use it and then use an instant read thermometer for your meat.

And yeah as LocknessMobster said I have a thermometer I really love. It will give you a readout like this:
34122347334_a5514c82e1_b.jpg

By having the full graph it's a lot easier to predict where the temperature is heading. And it's also a great way of telling how stable your smoke is and how your skill and setup are.

If I can get one at RRP I'm definitely getting the self cleaner having give it more thought. At RRP it's the same price as the compact on Amazon so I just need to hope the local store has a good price. I tried another store that had something very similar but at £700 the other day so I'm not being too hopeful just yet lol.

Pretty swish thermometer though. I was looking at another wireless one just now but yours is only £20 more and that's without shopping around so I'm gonna bear that in mind for sure.

Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards the 57 cm now. To be honest since smoking will no doubt be my main use for it I'd consider the 67cm beast but the price difference jumps too quick then due to size increase and being the premium model. Still a 57cm should be fine I imagine. To be honest at this point my options are this or make an offset myself but I'm really not convinced I can do a high enough quality job of sealing it all up well so this is looking like the right choice. To be honest the 57cm is a really good price for what it is anyway by the looks of it. I won't lie the self cleaning is pretty tempting, but I guess I'll need to decide whether it's going to be worth whatever extra it costs in the local store. If it's not too much difference I'll likely go for that since I'm thinking long term investment if I look after it well.

Playing devils advocate here but When it comes to grills I too always look at the long term investment,these things will last you many years to come so why not opt for the best you can afford? Figure Ill get a good 10yrs (they will last longer) outta my kettle so the price tag wasnt so bad when split into yearly cost. But either way you'll be good to go with any webber.

It was really good.

I made some rookie errors. Towards the end I started loosing heat. I believe I messed up my coal. I'm pretty sure I need to make some changes to how much and how I setup my coal.

Great! Also, we love pics in here ;)

So just been to my local store. There was another brand called Outback that almost had me but the vent didn't seem to seal well at all, but was only £100. Other than that was very similar.

They also had the Weber original for £169. But then I saw an eye catcher. They have the Weber premium for only £179!

So honestly it IS more than I'd like to spend on a BBQ however that deal really is tempting me. I'm gonna have to give that some serious thought and see if I can justify it to myself.

ColdPizza

Banned
So just been to my local store. There was another brand called Outback that almost had me but the vent didn't seem to seal well at all, but was only £100. Other than that was very similar.

They also had the Weber original for £169. But then I saw an eye catcher. They have the Weber premium for only £179!

So honestly it IS more than I'd like to spend on a BBQ however that deal really is tempting me. I'm gonna have to give that some serious thought and see if I can justify it to myself.

Keep in mind, with proper care and handling, that bbq will last you 20-30 years.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Keep in mind, with proper care and handling, that bbq will last you 20-30 years.

I have a Weber Performer that has lasted about 9 years so far with the only repair I needed to do was replace a nut in the lid holder. Other than that, I can see this lasting another 10 years atleast. Prior to becoming a Weber fanboy, I bought cheap grills that lasted a year and the next year I was buying a new one. Weber lasts and has parts readily available if you need to do a quick repair/modification.

Top Bottom