• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Be yourself?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Often repeated words of life are "be yourself", but what does this actually stand for? On my way home from work, this question appeared. It appeared probably because it's almost 6 am, but nevertheless... :p

I imagine a human is made up of a will, affected by surroundings and genetics. I also imagine the same human is made up of emotions, like fear. Fear creates limitations. As an example, let's say you're afraid of heights.

One could say this fear stops you from being yourself. I mean, who WANTS to be afraid of heights? I assume noone really wants to. In order to become more "true to yourself", you should try to overcome your fear of heights. But you can also look at it from another angle. Let's say this fear is a part of you, of who you are. With that in mind, just as it would be the correct choice to overcome this fear, it would be correct to still be afraid of it too. Since your fears are a part of you, after all.

Another, perhaps more relevant, example would be when you start working with a new group of people. These people are very different from you, you don't have anything in common with them, they're very tight with each other, making it hard for you to become a part of this group. Not because they don't want to, but because you simply don't fit in. In this situation, some people would, more or less, change their usual ways of acting among other people, change their behaviour, change their choices of subjects when talking, in order to fit in with the group. Wouldn't this also be a fear, the fear of feeling left outside and alone?

I've thought of "being yourself" meaning you should always try to overcome your limitations and fears and do whatever you want to. Because these limitations and fears are stopping you from being the kind of person you want to be, or at least would be better off being in your opinion. But as I've said before, wouldn't your fears and limitations be a part of who you are? Just like your opinions and your way of being are pieces of the puzzle that is "you", wouldn't fears and limitations also be parts of "you"?

With all this in mind, I've come to the conclusion that whatever you do, you'll always be yourself. Who else can you be?

And no, I haven't studied any psychology or philosophy, so maybe someone else can bring new light to this subject. Am I missing something?

Megafoo Chavez

I love EGM
its all bullshit. be whatever you want to be, do whatever you want to do. cause you are going to die. lie, cheat and steal. lie, cheat and steal. lie cheat and steal. lie, cheat and steal. lie, cheat and steal. lie, cheat and steal. lie, cheat and steal. lie, cheat and steal. lie, cheat and steal. lie, cheat and steal. lie, cheat and steal.

Zaptruder

Banned
This term is often used to tell people that they should try and live and act according to a set of internal and carefully reasoned standards/processes/thoughts/beliefs that they have devised from their understanding of the world; rather then acting in imitation of others. While in the end, we can only be a product of the world around us, there's still reason to the advice; not acting superficially and imitating others without good reason or understanding of why you're doing what you do.

"We are who we choose to be! Now, choose, hero!"

_1944248_golbin1_pa.jpg

LakeEarth

Sometimes I don't even know who I really am. I put up so many different faces I don't know which one is the real one.

bjork

I've found that if you be yourself, you tend to piss a lot of people off. But the people who stick by you despite the shortcomings you show by being yourself... those are your real friends, imo. They'll make allowances for your quirks, and you do the same for theirs, and the experience of knowing these kind of people can help you think differently, or get help from a place you might not expect it, or from someone you didn't think you wanted anything to do with.

I'm somewhat of a lazy person, so for me, it's too hard to bother trying to put up some front or to try and act a certain way just to impress people. I'd rather invest time in people that are special to me... all of whom got to be that way by just being themselves. Dunno if that makes sense or not, but it does t me. :)

Kiriku said:
One could say this fear stops you from being yourself. I mean, who WANTS to be afraid of heights? I assume noone really wants to. In order to become more "true to yourself", you should try to overcome your fear of heights. But you can also look at it from another angle. Let's say this fear is a part of you, of who you are. With that in mind, just as it would be the correct choice to overcome this fear, it would be correct to still be afraid of it too. Since your fears are a part of you, after all.
Having the fear and being afraid would be being yourself. Overcoming the fear and then not being afraid would also be being yourself. Not overcoming the fear and trying to pretend that you weren't afraid would be not being yourself.

Being yourself is not forcing yourself to try and be cocky and funny.

Cubsfan23

Banned
A person's personality and character traits do not remain static throughout their lives.
We learn, we adapt, we change, constantly. If that were not the case, you wouldn't be able to walk or speak.

I'm often amazed when occasional individuals think that integrating some different beliefs and behaviors is casually reduced to simply "not being one's self." Have you ever changed your beliefs or your behaviors, even to the slightest degree, to get along better with the people you work with, go to school with, or simply have to deal with on a day to day basis? I'm willing to bet that you have. Were you not still the same person though? Again we are ALL constantly changing and adapting, and if those changes help someone to live a happier, more fulfilling life, then the change is for the better.

The persons who would wish an individual never to change and live a life of unhappiness and stay stuck in a "rut of despair", would be a cruel and insensitive person indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom