• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and Worst additions to an existing cast in animated media? (Spoilers)

Fj0823

Many shows have new characters join the main cast after the main cast has already been developed and explored.

Usually this gives a chance to refresh character interactions and add new layers of drama through the newcomer

Other times you end up with Poochie.

So in your opinión which characters added later in the game are the best and which are the worst?

Let me start off with

BEST

Toph Bei-Fong (Avatar: The Last Airbender)

latest

Toph joins Team Avatar a bit into season 2, she's a bLind girls with immense earth bending powers who escapes her over protective family to fight in tournaments

The chapter she's introduced feels like a one off "help X person learn Y lesson" but it goes in a completely different direction near the end, instead of a clichéd ending were her family learns to accept that she is not fragile due to her disability and deserves her independence, her father doubles down on overprotectiviness to the point of abuse, causing her to escape with the main cast.

From there the team learning to adapt to her presence becomes a big plot point and this leads to them all learning from each other. Toph's power,development and interactions with the cast made her one of the most beloved characters in the franchise.

And she's a freaking badass

giphy.gif

Beerus and Whis (Dragon Ball Z/Super)

Beerus-Whis.jpg

The God of Destruction and his Angelic Servant are introduced as the main antagonistsin the "Battle of Gods Movie", a pair of deities with a knack for good food.

Quick to Anger, Beerus easily destroys anything that remotely annoys him, while Whis makes sure that his destructive rampages work for the benefit of the Universe

After meeting Goku and fighting him, Beerus slowly starts caring about Goku and his ambitions of being the strongest there is, a goal he easily identifies with.

This results in Beerus and Whis taking Goku and Vegeta as apprentices and from there becoming regulars in the main cast.

And they could not blend any better, each has developed a different relationship with members of the old cast, and they can easily add to the series most comedic moments, the most tense moments and even serve as a source of information for the main cast.

tumblr_o8n6paHNOY1r72ht7o1_500.gif

They pretty much steal every scene they're in.

WORST

Dil Pickles (Rugrats)

giphy.gif

In a series that's all about babies having defined personalities and traits, adding a baby that just acts like an actual baby and only cries and shit himself is boring AF

The only thing interesting about this character is him becoming a freaking weirdo in the God awful "All Grown Up!"

Which is saying something

Every Single Character added to the Fairly Odd Parents

images

fop-theme-song-with-chloe-music-monday-16x9-2.jpg

Like why!? Why add a baby a talking dog and a girl who shares Timmy's Odd Parents at all?

The show had a diverse cast back when it started but near the end Timmy became more and more estranged from the real world as the show kept introducing more and more magical characters and plots.

His group of losers, his crush, his school bullies, all of them disappear in later seasons to keep adding more and more magical main characters with the same boring plots

Just awful

Altazor

Another Avatarverse nomination for "best": Varrick in The Legend of Korra. One of the saving graces of the weaker Season 2.

"Zhu Li, do the thing!"

For best, Harley Quinn in B:TAS. What started off as an OC character added some time into the show's run eventually turned into one of the most popular DC characters period.

Capitan

if we're talking avatar, i think azula was a great addition. definitely a way cooler villain than ozai.
but you're right about toph, she's awesome.

SoulUnison

Banned
Yamato and Sai amounted to nothing in Naruto.

Sai's was worth it just for the moment near the end of the war when everybody's having a designated "awesome moment" and he leaps into the fray yelling "I'm a member of Team 7, too!" only to be swatted out of the air like a fly and left bleeding on the ground. End scene.

That's not even a joke or a comedic reduction. It seemed like the author was just torturing the character in a nod to the fanbase.

Worst: (If it counts) Mari in rebuild of Evangelion.

It definitely counts. For a show from a director that seems to despise anime/otaku culture, Mari is an incredibly cynical by-the-numbers cliche fan wet-dream.
"Oh my god, she's so cute, and she instantly loves the main character, and she has her own mecha, and she knows the secret to some kind of alternate Super Mode and she wears glasses and does cute catgirl things and she's so quirky and aloof!"
Mari is disgusting. I'm losing hope that she was introduced to lead into some sort of "take that!" at the fanbase and starting to think she really is just the cynical marketing/merchandising vehicle she seems to be on the surface.

There are other big problems with the movies, but if 3.0+1.0 isn't a 90 minute trauma and humiliation conga line featuring Mari as the victim, she will have almost singlehandedly ruined the Rebuild series, for me.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
...I see you as the OT and no Crow from 5Ds?

I mean I'm not a cynical person, I get the point of Yu-Gi-Oh and still enjoy it, but man was that dude a "buy my cards!" character first and foremost. He didn't ruin it for me like he did for some, but he was definitely one of the many compounding issues I have with the latter part of 5Ds.

On the other hand, I enjoyed almost everyone Yu-Gi-Oh GX added to the cast post Season 1---Ed Phoenix, Napoleon, Johann and the other exchange students, the weakest link was probably Rei coming back and doing shit.

Then there's Duke Devil from the original series. Nothing against him whatsoever, it just feels like the show wanted to make him bigger than he was in the manga and it didn't work out. He's like Tracey from Pokemon, he's bland but not offensive.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
I can't believe The Fairly Odd Parents has survived 17 fucking years.

I have a feeling opinions on PC Principal are going to be divided. I like were he's at now as a side character, but I can understand why people hated him due to the fact that he had so much screen time in season 19.

Not strictly as per OP but making Butters more than a nondescript background character worked out brilliantly.

Jimmy too, he didn't appear until season 5 and is now one of the main kids.

Fj0823

...I see you as the OT and no Crow from 5Ds?

I mean I'm not a cynical person, I get the point of Yu-Gi-Oh and still enjoy it, but man was that dude a "buy my cards!" character first and foremost. He didn't ruin it for me like he did for some, but he was definitely one of the many compounding issues I have with the latter part of 5Ds.

On the other hand, I enjoyed almost everyone Yu-Gi-Oh GX added to the cast post Season 1---Ed Phoenix, Napoleon, Johann and the other exchange students, the weakest link was probably Rei coming back and doing shit.

Then there's Duke Devil from the original series. Nothing against him whatsoever, it just feels like the show wanted to make him bigger than he was in the manga and it didn't work out. He's like Tracey from Pokemon, he's bland but not offensive.

Too obvious :p

The worst YGO offender besides Crow has to be Rebecca Hawkins and her weird flirting in all the filler Arcs

Special mention to Zexal's Kathy and Flip if theyre even characters...

Edit: Also you come to the thread and did not mention Wobuffet for best so...

retroman

A few awful ones:

The Great Gazoo (The Flintstones)
The_Great_Gazoo.png

Wheelie (The Transformers)
250px-WheelieHeadOnFortMax01.jpg

And of course, the original Poochie:

Scrappy Doo
scrappy-doo_124281a_2237.gif

Strimei

Worst: (If it counts) Mari in rebuild of Evangelion.

At least she has some purpose in the movies. She's included in the manga in a way different way.

She's an underclassman of Yui's (pre-2nd Impact of course), and doesn't like her at first. Becomes a friend and maybe even falls in love with her, gets jealous of her relationship with Gendo. Also her glasses are Yui's.

Its just like...why even include her?

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic added essentially a seventh main pony character with Starlight Glimmer, who has had pretty consistently great focus episodes, but the character herself is still love-her-or-hate-her. So instead I'll focus on another character added to the supporting cast: the Great and Powerful Trixie. Trixie is a wandering stage magician who pretends to be a powerful wizard, boasting of her skills and making a show of everything. The type that refers to herself in third person. She was actually introduced back in season 1 for one episode and was popular then, leading to her returning for an episode in season 3, but they clearly struggled on how to make her work as a recurring character, leading to her third appearance not being until season 6 (minus Equestria Girls). But after that episode, she pretty quickly became a major recurring character.

In truth, though she was popular among fans, I didn't particularly like her much. She was kind of amusing, but there wasn't much to her character. Fans often portrayed her as a Vegeta-style rival to the main character, Twilight Sparkle, which is what her season 3 appearance went with, having her come back with an evil amulet to boost her power and fight her, but it just didn't work. However, when she came back in season 6, they paired her up with Starlight as her girlfriend BEST FRIEND, and everything clicked. With both being former villains, Trixie could connect with her and thus could drop her guard, leading to great interactions and surprisingly natural dialogue between the two. She has also become more of a goofy character, which has done wonders for her.
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

jstripes

Banned
I wouldn't really call Whis Beerus' servant. His role is more that of an attendant/advisor.

Whis is more powerful than Beerus, and his main job is to keep Beerus on the rails and undo his mistakes. He just tries to remain neutral in all affairs.

ssCVZaD.gif

Toph is a great pick.

Beerus made me stop watching Super, though.

My pick for "Worst" would be basically every non-antagonist character added after the Soul Society Arc of Bleach. There were already too many characters with not enough being done with them, and none of the further supporting cast additions had sufficient value to make up for the fact they were cluttering up the place.

Honorary mention goes to Shierke, because the fact that she's only been animated in terrible renditions of Berserk (2016) means she hasn't managed to ruin a good series, though she's still impressively terrible.,

Ogodei

Some good ones in recent media:

Starlight Glimmer: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic

starlight_glimmer_vector_by_amythestshine-d8og4bj.png

What started as basically an asshole version of Twilight Sparkle whom the showrunners were desperately trying to make the viewers like actually became likeable over time, particularly through her friendships with Trixie and Maud Pie, as well as being the first to stick up for Thorax when nobody else was willing to trust a Changeling. The writers did a good job of turning her around and making her more endearing.

latest

Lapis Lazuli and Peridot: Steven Universe

Honestly Peridot is what got me interested in the show in the first place, as i found it to be a mediocre sort of superhero show before that. Peridot and Lapis are both incredibly enjoyable characters, and the moreso when the show decided that they were going to live together because they play off of each other very well. Peridot is the easily-frustrated turbonerd among the cast, while Lapis struggles with PTSD which, in her more comedic moments, makes her very laconic and quietly snarky.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The trope is named "The Scrappy" for a reason.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Too obvious :p

The worst YGO offender besides Crow has to be Rebecca Hawkins and her weird flirting in all the filler Arcs

Special mention to Zexal's Kathy and Flip if theyre even characters...

Edit: Also you come to the thread and did not mention Wobuffet for best so...

Damn, you got me there.

Giolon

I thought at first that the OP was listing Whis and Beerus under worst, and I thought this poster's crazy! Glad to see it was a reading failure on my part. Whis and Beerus are amazing and feel almost like they’ve been around all along.

Ray Down

Banned
Most of the new cast in Naruto part 2.

Barring the new hokages (not Mei), Killer Bee and kind of Darui and a few others.

jstripes

Banned
At least she has some purpose in the movies. She's included in the manga in a way different way.

She's an underclassman of Yui's (pre-2nd Impact of course), and doesn't like her at first. Becomes a friend and maybe even falls in love with her, gets jealous of her relationship with Gendo. Also her glasses are Yui's.

Its just like...why even include her?

Mari is a key component in Anno's mind games with the Evangelion fanbase.

When he created Evangelion he created characters with deep flaws who were essentially broken people. The otaku, however, fetishized the girls of Eva to a degree he hadn't anticipated or wanted, which upset him, because they didn't get the point of his story. (Of course, Gainax was more than happy to sell the merch.)

Rebuild 2.0 was written to give the fanbase "everything they wanted" (and 3.0 to take it all away), so Mari was intentionally developed to be waifu bait. That's why she adds virtually nothing. She has no purpose other than to appeal to otaku.

nickgia

Yeah! Best Character in GX.

Worst: Ed Phoenix in Arc V. They destroyed his character.

Strimei

Mari is a key component in Anno's mind games with the Evangelion fanbase.

When he created Evangelion he created characters with deep flaws who were essentially broken people. The otaku, however, fetishized the girls of Eva to a degree he hadn't anticipated or wanted, which upset him, because they didn't get the point of his story. (Of course, Gainax was more than happy to sell the merch.)

Rebuild 2.0 was written to give the fanbase "everything they wanted" (and 3.0 to take it all away), so Mari was intentionally developed to be waifu bait. That's why she adds virtually nothing. She has no purpose other than to appeal to otaku.

Ahh, figures.

The bonus manga chapter is still weird as hell though.

nickgia

But he's a different/alternate version character?

GX Ed is still GX Ed.

They kept Jack Atlas's hilarious personality where he is always screaming about being the king. (And gets to smack down Yuya's crappy entertainment gimmick in their 1st duel).

Ed now acts like a whining kid who has a mental breakdown over a torn smile world, or something.

They're alternate versions, but I hate Ed's depiction in Arc V

Kaworu also showing up in like the last 2 episodes of Eva out of nowhere kind of felt random as all hell, but I’ll be damned if he’s not the greatest thing about the Eva franchise.

His appearances are always so good. It made me feel so happy to see a gay anime character when I was growing up.

Top Bottom