• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy to reduce anime inventory in 80% of stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm not surprised, but none of the Austin stores are on that list.

San Marcos is, but it's a college town so I am going to assume it has been raided by now.

JayDubya

Banned
I'm quite surprised College Station IS on the list. I dunno, I did my part while I was there.

There were a couple of pretty big clubs, too; not really my thing but I tried both as a freshman.

Anyway, yes, "one good thing about the recession:" clearance sales. :p

StoOgE

JayDubya said:
I'm quite surprised College Station IS on the list. I dunno, I did my part while I was there.

There were a couple of pretty big clubs, too; not really my thing but I tried both as a freshman.

Anyway, yes, "one good thing about the recession:" clearance sales. :p

They are probably clearing stock from most small towns that they are in. San Marcos is about half college students and it's losing it's anime as well. So either it didn't sell as well as I would imagine or they are taking market size into consideration.

mAcOdIn

Figures my town isn't included, too many girls buying Chobits and Inuyasha here they never have anything I want however. Bastards. Guess it's fine then that mine isn't on the list since they have a shitty selection.

Kastro

Banned
Buba Big Guns said:
Good. Anime fucking sucks.

ugh, why do people say this? it's a fucking entertainment medium. It's like saying movies suck.

just because you haven't put forth any effort to find something good.

Yaweee

So, what are the odds nice Evangelion or Berserk boxed sets would be part of this deal? Any particular editions I should be looking for with the Evangelion?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Why are people buying anime at Best Buy when you can buy anime and manga from discount retailers like rightstuf.

You get the stuff heavily discounted, free shipping, and you don't have to deal with the people who are too into the hobby.

Kastro said:
ugh, why do people say this? it's a fucking entertainment medium. It's like saying movies suck.

just because you haven't put forth any effort to find something good.

Bingo, just like I get pretty irritated when people say that there is a standard "anime" or "manga" art style.

There are a myriad of art styles prevalent in both mediums that there is no such thing as standard.

StoOgE

Hcoregamer00 said:
Why are people buying anime at Best Buy when you can buy anime and manga from discount retailers like rightstuf.

You get the stuff heavily discounted, free shipping, and you don't have to deal with the people who are too into the hobby..

Why do people buy anything at a B&M anymore? It's so much cheaper/easier to get things online.

mAcOdIn

Hcoregamer00 said:

You get the stuff heavily discounted, free shipping, and you don't have to deal with the people who are too into the hobby.
I'll still buy local if I can because I work every day the mail and delivery services run and thus me actually receiving a package usually takes an act of God. Right now I have 4 volumes of Rosario To Vampire from Right Stuf sitting at the post office, hope I can get to it before they send it back.

JayDubya

Banned
Yaweee said:
So, what are the odds nice Evangelion or Berserk boxed sets would be part of this deal? Any particular editions I should be looking for with the Evangelion?

The Platinum Collection tends to be cheaper, and includes the Director's Cut episodes to boot. I'll probably get it eventually, but I already had the other box set and bought the director's cuts on the side, too. :lol I'll probably wait until it comes out on some other medium before I double dip for Eva.

As for Berserk, I got it for a nice sale price (at Best Buy, I believe at College Station), but Amazon is listing that a new box set with some remastering is coming out at the end of March.

Funnily enough, these new remastered box set things include more stuff, look nicer, and are cheaper.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hcoregamer00 said:

I've found that Best Buy is one of the few retail stores out there that sells new anime releases cheap. I often see many of them at $20 during release week, which would be pretty much on par with most online prices for a new DVD title.

Those are the only times I've really bought anime from a retail store though, most of my shopping is online. As you said, you're much more likely to find better pricing overall.

LuCkymoON

Banned
1032 North Irving TX
Holy shit this best buy has a huge anime selection! Although it's right next to a fry's with an even larger selection so they probably lose all of the buyers to them.

The selection will be cut at approximately 800 stores out of Best Buy's just over 1,000 (1,006 as of February 19) stores in the USA. Of these, 461 stores will carry only the top-20 titles.

According to ICv2 and confirmed by ANN's sources, the stores where anime is being cut account for only a very small percentage (less than 20%) of overall anime sales at Best Buy.
So 20% of stores were responsible for 80% of sales? Pretty big disparity.

Anime is way overpriced - the sad thing is that after 50% off, a lot of the anime will still be waaay overpriced. Anime producers need to price anime reasonably.

Goldrusher

787 Surprise AZ
1481 Happy Valley AZ
1059 Lake Pleasant AZ
801 Chevy Chase DC
1049 Peach Tree City GA
1408 Cumming GA
1478 Mechanicsburg PA
684 Beaver Valley PA
664 Bluffton SC
1412 Firewheel TX
1083 Bee Cave TX
1402 American Fork UT
1465 Mechanicsville VA
:lol

JayDubya

Banned
A Link to the Snitch said:
Anime is way overpriced - the sad thing is that after 50% off, a lot of the anime will still be waaay overpriced. Anime producers need to price anime reasonably.

Isn't that more or less due to really, really high fees charged by the anime studios to the domestic publishers all over the world?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
After watching friends spend $40 on Subtitled VHS tapes, 2 episodes a piece (Dubbed was $30), I think that waiting a year and getting a boxset of a whole season of an Anime show for like $50 is an awesome deal. Some places charge too much (I'm looking at you very very directly Viz), and others are worth the premium they charge (Animeigo) because of the niche titles they release and the effort they put into them. But still $25 in 2008 dollars for 4 or 5 episodes beats the shit out of $40 for two episodes on VHS.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Oh that figures. Three major Best Buys in my area and the one that goes on clearance is literally on the far side of town.

Hoping to get a good deal on Stand Alone Complex, though.

Edit: Wait, that's probably in the Top 200, isn't it? Shit.

JayDubya

Banned
Lambtron said:
After watching friends spend $40 on Subtitled VHS tapes, 2 episodes a piece (Dubbed was $30), I think that waiting a year and getting a boxset of a whole season of an Anime show for like $50 is an awesome deal. Some places charge too much (I'm looking at you very very directly Viz), and others are worth the premium they charge (Animeigo) because of the niche titles they release and the effort they put into them. But still $25 in 2008 dollars for 4 or 5 episodes beats the shit out of $40 for two episodes on VHS.

Well you're right. Things are improving quite a bit.

Now: all of Evangelion, remastered, with the Director's Cuts for like ~$40-50 vs. all the DVDs for like $90 in the Perfect Collection + more for the Director's Cuts vs. well over $20 per VHS tape at 2 episodes per tape.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Lambtron said:

That's true, back in the day VHS sub tapes were incredibly expensive, $40 for two episodes.

The new generation of anime fans are not familiar with this, but anime nowadays really are a steal compared to the old days. Even the DVD's with 4-5 episodes with dual language is a steal compared to how it used to be.

Tarazet

smurfx said:
of course my nearest best buy isn't having the sale.

I counted 9 stores in my area (San Francisco bay area). Not surprising, we don't really have the creepy otaku crowd here.

this guy

It looks like just about every Best Buy in my area is on that list except the one that is closest to me. There must be more crazy anime fans in my town than I thought.

Foxix Von

Holy crap, the burlington best buy is right across the street from my job! Hell yes!:lol

Any idea on exactly when this 50% off sale starts? Oh and just because it's cheaper doesn't make it affordable. I can understand why it's so expensive sometimes, but that still doesn't make it right. 20 bucks for 4-5 episodes is just nuts when you compare that TV box sets run typically no more than 30-50 in fact a lot of thinpaks/box sets fall in that range too.

I really just wish they would skip the bite sized singles entirely and just do box sets. There's a ton of stuff I would love to own but is just way too friggen out there. I know I'm not alone in that category either, last time I checked evangelion was something like $70 bucks at best buy.

What was really freaking weird was that during the holidays Avatar was $90 but they just dropped it to 30-40 range now I think.

VQ

StoOgE said:
Why do people buy anything at a B&M anymore? It's so much cheaper/easier to get things online.

i prefer just walking down the street and getting what i want when i want

for that i never quite get the hate towards purchasing games/movies from best buy, gamestop, and, yes, even walmart

7Th

They can't; they're already selling them at half-the-price they sell them in Japan.

Koshiba

Hcoregamer00 said:

Best Buy has had some great deals though, actually. I've managed to pick up several complete series for about $15ish each a few times.

Hcoregamer00 said:
That's true, back in the day VHS sub tapes were incredibly expensive, $40 for two episodes.

The new generation of anime fans are not familiar with this, but anime nowadays really are a steal compared to the old days. Even the DVD's with 4-5 episodes with dual language is a steal compared to how it used to be.

This is why I hate people of recent years complaining how overpriced and expensive anime is. I started my collection back on VHS. Ranma tapes especially were around $40 for two episodes I remember and I own those. Anime is dirt cheap IMO.. Especially all the bargain boxsets they tend to release these days.

Good! That'll teach them to charge $50 for 30min of anime. If it was cheaper, people wouldn't have to pirate that stuff and it would sell. I've been saying for years that anime will self implode because they can't keep maintaining their prices.

Most anime sucks anyways and the good ones are re-hashes of the classics anyways.

FLEABttn

Banned
JayDubya said:
Isn't that more or less due to really, really high fees charged by the anime studios to the domestic publishers all over the world?

Basically. Everyone thought they had the next Evangelion and charged a licensing fee according to that notion.

Domestic publishers thought that their audience would eat all that shit up (because they technically do, but usually only when free), and willingly paid out the ass for anything (Bottle Fairy, who the hell thought this was something desirable enough to not only license but sell in B&M stores?).

Domestic publishers are now greatly pulling back the number of titles being released because they've realized that the demand for their type of pricing structure and release schedule isn't anywhere near where they thought it was. Anime studios are going to have to reduce licensing fees to what a show's actually worth, or to a point where overseas sales are actually viable.

Because, sorry, not spending $100 on a ~26 episode series anymore unless you can frankly convince me it's worth it (and considering the quality of the stuff that was coming out when I quit watching new anime, you simply can't).

7Th said:
They can't; they're already selling them at half-the-price they sell them in Japan.

That would be a part of the problem then. Someone link them a laffer curve for fuck's sake.

Koshiba

You people are delusional/insane if you see american R1 DVDs being sold for $50 for 30 minutes as some kind of norm.. :lol I think the ONLY time I've seen that in recent years was the japanese company releasing sub DVDs over here for a short time.

Hell let me look at the popular site rightstuf fast and check some prices..
Azumanga daioh, $40 (Retail $70ish) 26 episodes 650 minutes
berserk remastered $27 (Retail $45) 25 episodes 625 minutes
Boogiepop Phantom TV + movie $30 (retail $50) 12 episodes + movie 518 minutes
Yuu Yuu Hakusho Season 1 $20 (retail $35) 28 episodes 600 minutes

Newer releases will obviously be more expensive but still no where near $50 for 30 minutes.. lets take a look at some newer box sets..
Moonlight Mile $38 (Retail $50) 12 episode 290 minutes
Kanon $53 (Retail $70) 24 episodes 576 minutes
Air $38 (Retail $50) 13 + ova special 375 minutes
Clannad collection 1 $36 (Retail $40) 12 episodes 300 minutes
Kenichi $38 (Retail $50) 13 episodes 312 minutes

And thats just a quick look going through their recent product changes listings.. not only that, Rightstuf really isn't even always the cheapest option, though their sales, specials and so forth typically make up for that. I go by the fact if someone is paying like $50 for 30 minutes or something like that, they're buying hentai. :lol Compare these prices to the $40 for 2 episodes during VHS times sub-only.

ah yeah i remember the days of paying like 40 bucks for a Ranma 1/2 tape that only had a couple of episodes. my friends and i used to pool our money together and buy each tape, like bart and his friends did with the radioactive man comic.

too bad i sorta grew out of anime because i'd be in hog heaven right now (though speaking of i should check out ranma again sometime. never saw the latter episodes)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
sonarrat said:
I counted 9 stores in my area (San Francisco bay area).
There's also a bunch of stores in the Bay Area not on the list, so there will still be a good selection for those still interested in a wider anime selection post-clearance if they drive around.

DarkJediKnight said:
Good! That'll teach them to charge $50 for 30min of anime.

Koshiba said:
You people are delusional/insane if you see american R1 DVDs being sold for $50 for 30 minutes as some kind of norm.. :lol

Koshiba said:
I go by the fact if someone is paying like $50 for 30 minutes or something like that, they're buying hentai. :lol
DarkJediKnight, only looking for affordable hentai pricing!

Koshiba said:
You people are delusional/insane if you see american R1 DVDs being sold for $50 for 30 minutes as some kind of norm.. :lol I think the ONLY time I've seen that in recent years was the japanese company releasing sub DVDs over here for a short time.

Hell let me look at the popular site rightstuf fast and check some prices..
Azumanga daioh, $40 (Retail $70ish) 26 episodes 650 minutes
berserk remastered $27 (Retail $45) 25 episodes 625 minutes
Boogiepop Phantom TV + movie $30 (retail $50) 12 episodes + movie 518 minutes
Yuu Yuu Hakusho Season 1 $20 (retail $35) 28 episodes 600 minutes

Newer releases will obviously be more expensive but still no where near $50 for 30 minutes.. lets take a look at some newer box sets..
Moonlight Mile $38 (Retail $50) 12 episode 290 minutes
Kanon $53 (Retail $70) 24 episodes 576 minutes
Air $38 (Retail $50) 13 + ova special 375 minutes
Clannad collection 1 $36 (Retail $40) 12 episodes 300 minutes
Kenichi $38 (Retail $50) 13 episodes 312 minutes

And thats just a quick look going through their recent product changes listings.. not only that, Rightstuf really isn't even always the cheapest option, though their sales, specials and so forth typically make up for that. I go by the fact if someone is paying like $50 for 30 minutes or something like that, they're buying hentai. :lol Compare these prices to the $40 for 2 episodes during VHS times sub-only.

Anime used to be really expensive. But prices have been dropping a lot over the past couple of years and even brand new shows are being released at $30-$50 per season with only a few higher-end shows going as high as $80.

Koshiba

Great Rumbler said:
Anime used to be really expensive. But prices have been dropping a lot over the past couple of years and even brand new shows are being released at $30-$50 per season with only a few higher-end shows going as high as $80.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Anime is VERY reasonably priced now. No reason to complain, honestly.

Hmm, my McDonough, GA store actually made the list. I wonder what this will do to the business of the little anime shop down the road from them in the month of March?

That said, I THINK I'm actually pretty much caught up for the most part so I'm not sure that I'd happen by for the sale. I'm also a big customer of TRSI and pretty well content to wait for the daily/weekly/studio sales as they happen since outside a few series that I've given up on seeing since they are too old/niche/unaffordable from the earlier dvd days the newer stuff isn't going anywhere fast. I'd be very surprised to see the sale last all the way to nigh the end of March though in this area---I'm picturing a bullrush for the initial friday/weekend that'll pretty well clean the place out and leave just the dregs of the dregs to linger until the end of the month.

I wonder what will take their shelfspace though...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Great Rumbler said:
with only a few higher-end shows going as high as $80.

Stand Alone Complex still has an MSRP of about $100 a season. You can get them for around $60 a pop on DeepDiscount but still... =/

Slavik81

Firestorm said:
Death Note Box Set 1 after 50% off is the same price Amazon had on release ._.
Wow. This has reminded me that Death Note has cost me several hundred dollars.
Even more than Stand Alone Complex did...

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
My store iso n the sale but not sure if it's going to be worth it. I tried to find the Cowboy Bebop movie there a few weeks ago and they didn't even have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom