• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best examples of losing all your powerups from the previous game?

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
You play through a game, defeat the end boss and you’ve got a ton of new powers that you’ve obtained on the way.

Then the sequel releases and you lose them all without explanation. Lazy slop like Remake -> Rebirth

However some games do explain why you’re back at zero. What are some of the best?

First one I thought of:

Soul Reaver -> Soul Reaver 2

You start the game with maxed out health but the Soul Reaver drains you of all your power, knocking you back to the lowest health level. You then build this back up through the rest of the game.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Metroid does this. Although the explanations tend to be pretty bad. Usually it’s just ‘Samus takes a big amount of damage/gets smashed against a wall’ and her armor gets broken up/goes offline, I guess.

Metroid Prime 2 is probably the best, where the Ing actually steals her stuff.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Wolfenstein The New Order -> old colossus.

You’re now disabled and only have 50 max health but after a while your head gets cut off and transferred to a new body to give you max 100 health again.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Tears of the Kingdom did fairly well and made sense to introduce the new mechanics.

link.png

Last edited:

IAmRei

Metroid does this. Although the explanations tend to be pretty bad. Usually it’s just ‘Samus takes a big amount of damage/gets smashed against a wall’ and her armor gets broken up/goes offline, I guess.

Metroid Prime 2 is probably the best, where the Ing actually steals her stuff.
Also fusion as well i think, i like the story about She needs to reclaim Her armor back

LostDonkey

Call of duty.

Levelled up for ages, unlocked all the attachments for me guns and stuff, was well accurate and blasting heads off

New cod came out and I had standard guns again

What the hell

Last edited:

midnightAI

Call of duty.

Levelled up for ages, unlocked all the attachments for me guns and stuff, was well accurate and blasting heads off

New cod came out and I had standard guns again

What the hell
Sure, but the OP is talking about games that explain why you lost your weapons/powers, COD doesn't do that.

(Most games never explain the loss of powers/weapons, but some do, the OP is talking about the latter)

Last edited:

Pejo

Symphony of the Night. You come fully decked as Alucard from the previous game, but Grim Reaper shows up and strips you of your gear, just to show how pathetic you are compared to Death himself.
And then you fuck him up later and take it back, to show how much you've grown in strength.

Kinda unrelated, but I love rematches to fights you can't originally win. Like Vile in Mega Man X as well.

lachesis

KVdOpWJ.jpeg

Guilty as charged. Apparently he sold/gave away all his legendary equipments to come up with travel expenses- and probably still in debt due to all the ships he sank while aboard…

MrRibeye

Wolfenstein The New Order -> old colossus.

You’re now disabled and only have 50 max health but after a while your head gets cut off and transferred to a new body to give you max 100 health again.

Cruising around in that wheelchair was fun for me :messenger_grinning_smiling:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Mass Effect 2 is a prime example but executed extremely well story-wise. I love how in 3 Shepard is OP af from the start though.

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
This isn't "from the previous game", but Assassin's Creed. I found it cool that you start the game with a full kit, but then quickly lose it all and start fresh.

My real answer was God of War 2.

Top Bottom