• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great and original video game moments

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
As a player, I have tried many games of different genres.

There is always a moment that I love in video games and that is the introductions.

I love the moments or video games where you start an advanced scenario or where you think you are fighting the Final Boss... or the moment when you get all the weapons or upgrades, but you lose them, at the end or in the middle of the game you come back more powerful.

I love the beginning of Silent Hill 3 where you have, without knowing why, the best weapons in the game and an advanced scenario, but you know that it is a dream and you return to that same place as the game progresses.

The most recent is Zelda ToTK, where at the beginning you have the master sword and the heart container maxed out, you lose it at the beginning but you progress and that strength and your achievements become more powerful at the end.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Where you start in the final scenario of what would originally be a Castlevania installment and your first fight is with Dracula... having all the upgrades, I always find these details the coolest in video games.

Yesterday I played Devil May Cry 5 for the first time and I thought the beginning of the game was very cool, where it seems like you are in the final scene and the most powerful combat in the game... it was very cool.

I always love those epic introductions to battles that seem to be the last.

Or equally in the TLOTR game Two towers, you start at the end of a battle where the fate of the world is decided.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

I always loved the second Wild Arms open after the title screen.

The ending was really touching as well.

Paltheos

First moment that came to mind is in the middle of Metroid Prime 3. After traveling through a metroid lab in Elysium, you find the energy cell you were looking for in the facility (and the seeker missile upgrade). Removing the cell however turns off all the power in the lab and you realize, of course, that you'll need to fight all the metroids that can now escape their containment tanks. What sells the sequence is how well the mood is set. The lights are dimmed just enough, the soundtrack has this creepy vibe to it, and as you make your way out of the lab, you don't just see the broken tanks but the metroids that have escaped traveling en masse below the glass floor. Your first ambush around the corner comes from above! The whole thing puts you at unease - you have no idea which direction they'll attack from. It's such a great set piece (in an otherwise middling title).

Go_Ly_Dow

KH1's opening and really the existence of the series itself. Square execs and Disney execs get chatting in an elevator as they shared a building and next thing you have Nomura pitching to Disney execs a bizarre new video game IP with both FF and Disney characters with the main character wielding a chainsaw, later revised to a giant key lol.

Also specifically to include jpop in the opening before it was popular overseas and to somehow make something was as memorable as it is was quite a feat I think. Then KH2 comes and ramps up the crazy 10 fold.

Top Bottom