• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Game Director - 2023

Who was your Game Director of the year (2023)?

• Swen Vincke

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • Hidemaro Fujibayashi

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • Sam Lake

Votes: 30 33.7%
  • Todd Howard

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tommib

Some games more than others are clearly a vision of a specific game designer more than just a bulk team effort. Lets vote and celebrate the games that seem to reflect their directors either in aesthetic choices, gameplay mechanics, narrative approach or overall themes.

c176755c-d6ed-11e4-95bd-180ba7d2b591_web_scale_0.15_0.15__.jpg

Swen Vincke​

(Director: Baldur's Gate 3, Divinity: Original Sin II. Director, Game Design, Story: Divinity: Original Sin)

tumblr_ompg7cuqxa1s2z1y6o2_1280.jpg

Hidemaro Fujibayashi​

(Director: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild; The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)

sam-lake.jpg

Sam Lake​

(Director: Alan Wake II. Concept and writer: Control. Concept design, story and screenplay: Alan Wake)

Todd_Howard-1024x578.jpg

Todd Howard​

(Director: Starfield, Fallout 4, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Fallout 3)

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Skewed poll as I only played 2 of these so far. ToTK is my GotY so Zelda it is. I am a big fan of Larian and Alan Wake so it is very possible that both or one or none of those games are better to me than TotK. Starfield is disappointing.

Roberts

John Johanas. A relative newcomer comes out of the shadow of Mikami, a foreigner, creates a singular vision that appeals both to eastern and western sensibilities. Also, seems like a very nice guy.

Hugare

Its Swen by a long shot

Imagine directing a game of that size, with so many choices and different story paths

And if you've seen the dev videos that Larian posted throughout the years you would know that he was close to every inch of the game's development

Dude is a hero

Sam Lake deserves an honorable mention 'cause AW 2 was 100% his vision

Last edited:
Can't take anything from Fujibayashi, but let's be frank the path was already laid out for him with TOTK.

Swen, successfully helmed the development and launch of one of most important games to come out, ever, and ingnited mainstream fervor for a franchise that typically is reserved for only its hardcore fans.

Bravo, sir, best to do it this year.

Last edited:

ungalo

None of these games blow me away on its direction/game design.

Didn't play BG3 yet so i'll say ToTK director. Starfield design choices often hurt the game on many levels, while Alan Wake 2 although it feels like nothing else is also weird in its pacing and lack of tension for a survival horror, feel like some sequences/moments really don't achieve their potential. I think Control was made better.

ToTK i have very mixed feelings but i'll say for the overall ambition of the mechanics and how it empowers the player, it's something you don't see often. Even though what the game asks of you most of the time is actually pretty shit.

Last edited:
Gonna have to give it to Swen Vincke. I'm not even particularly a fan of CRPGs, but I'd be an idiot to deny what a colossal achievement BG3 is.

After that, second place goes to Hidemaro Fujibayashi. TOTK is a technical marvel and the amount of polish it has considering the complexity of all the interacting systems is unbelievable. All running smoothly on mobile hardware from 2013, too.

Finally, I've gotta give a shoutout to Masaru Yamamura. He designed my favorite combat system to date with Sekiro and he managed bring that same brilliance to table with Armored Core. The game is a hell of a lot of fun and the satisfaction of coming to grips with the combat is second to none.

Last edited:

Vick

Piotr Łatocha for me.

Also my current favorite game director full stop after a month of fresh awesomeness between his Resistance and Rogue City.

Top Bottom