• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Low Profile Metroidvanias

Select as many as you want

• Axiom Verge

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Blasphemous

Votes: 18 20.5%
  • Cave Story

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Death's Gambit: Afterlife

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Dust: An Elysian Tale

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • F.I.S.T.: Forged in Shadow Torch

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Gato Roboto

• Guacamelee 1/2

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Iconoclasts

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • La Mulana 1/2

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Record of Loddoss War - Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

• Salt & Sanctuary

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Shadow Complex

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Steamworld Dig 1/2

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Strider 2014

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Supraland

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Timespinner

• Touhou Luna Nights

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • UnEpic

• Valdis Story: Abyssal City

• Yoku's Island Express

• Total voters
This is for relatively low profile games only, so no Hollow Knight or Bloodstained or Ori since there are limited poll slots. Let me know what you all think.

Some that didn't make the cut for various reasons:
Mirror of Fate
Environmental Station Alpha
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
The Messenger
Rabi-Rabi
Mummy Demastered
Aquaria
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Chasm
Astalon
Carrion
Owlboy
Outland
Axiom Verge 2
Sundered

Paltheos

I haven't touched allot of lower key metroidvanias. Only played a couple on that list.

Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is the shit though. Gorgeous sprite work, metal soundtrack - I think in the OT thread I compared it to a cross between Yamane Michiru's Castlevania stuff and an arcade beat - and simple, fun gameplay. I've been singing the praises of this game to anyone that will listen. Definitely put Team Ladybug on the map for me as a developer (I should probably buy Touhou, huh).

I was pretty underwhelmed by Axiom Verge when I tried it a few years ago. One day I'll try Timespinner. It's sitting in my Steam library.

DerFuggler

Cave Story is the GOAT but Valdis Story is something I come back to play once a year. Shame it's PC only. If Endless Fluff had put it out on PS and XBOX, it would have been huge.

brian0057

Banned
What's with the recent influx of Metroidvania threads?
There's like five new ones daily and almost all of them are basically the same.

Last edited:

Xellos

Gato Roboto is basically Metroid if Samus was a cat. Short but priced appropriately - usually under $10 and under $5 when on sale. Also it's entirely black and white (no color) but the sprites and animation are well done.

Wildebeest

They say if you say La Mulana three times in the mirror, you are doomed to spending the rest of your life backtracking, scanning everything you can find with google image translate, trying to make sense of cryptic clues.

Holammer

Here are two unreleased metroidvania's you might wanna check out. I tried them during last Steam Next Fest.
Both show great promise. Transiruby got this great Cave Story feeling and Transmute is a metroidvania made by a single guy. I liked the demo more than Dread.

ShoddyKaleidoscopicGiraffe-size_restricted.gif

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Your definition of “lowkey” is a bit broad, OP. Guacamelee has made a good name for itself, and Cave Story is a classic, as is La-Mulana.

Among the true lowkey metroidvanias in that list, I’d say Touhou Luna Nights, Yoku’s Island Express and Gato Roboto were pleasant surprises for me.

cireza

I really enjoyed Cave Story and Momodora. They have very unique atmospheres.

Timespinner was also a great game, even though the visuals are too much like "late SNES RPGs" to my taste. Soundtrack was godlike.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
VGnZFiP.jpg

You're also missing A Robot Named Fight.

Another decent one. This one is crossed with a rogue-lite - think Super Metroid with procedural level generation

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
xKt3GOM.jpg

Shit, you're also missing Dandara.

A very good one and quite unique in how you move and traverse the environments.

bender

What time is it?
Cave Story is wonderful as are La Mulana 1-2. Hard to pick between those two. I really enjoyed both of the Steamworld Dig games too. Shoutout to Yoku for a new spin on the Metroidvana formula.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Guacamelee's metroidvania elements are not that great.

Guacamelee's platorming though is top notch. They should just make an action platformer instead.

Davey Cakes

I'm loving Yoku's Island Express right now. The game is just cozy as heck, and the pinball gameplay is a nice change from your typical action/adventure Metroidvanias.

Gato Roboto is basically Metroid if Samus was a cat. Short but priced appropriately - usually under $10 and under $5 when on sale. Also it's entirely black and white (no color) but the sprites and animation are well done.
Yeah, I quite liked that one. Has some Metroid Fusion and Metroid II vibes. The very definition of a short-but-sweet game.

Last edited:

HYDE

Banned
I'm loving Yoku's Island Express right now. The game is just cozy as heck, and the pinball gameplay is a nice change from your typical action/adventure Metroidvanias.

Yeah, I quite liked that one. Has some Metroid Fusion and Metroid II vibes. The very definition of a short-but-sweet game.
Yoku’s island music is contagious also!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm not sure any of these are low profile but I voted Monster Boy because it's really one of the best and has such amazing level design.

anonychus

Neo Member
Seeing that list makes me appreciate just how many wonderful games in the genre we've gotten over the years.

Thief1987

From this list Salt&Sanctuary is my favourite, but i also like both Guacamelee, Dust, F.I.S.T., Monster boy and Snantae.

Last edited:
Top Bottom