• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Popup stopper for Internet Explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoi tsuki

Come on, i love Firefox and all, but there will always be people using IE.

Look into Spybot Search and Destroy. You should have this regardless of what browser you use. It has a nifty immunize feature that'll catch pages that attempt to install programs via Active X. i ran IE yesterday, and a site attempted to install something. Spybot caught it, and asked if i wanted to prevent it from doing that in the future. Good stuff.

In my IE days, i used Google bar to block popups. Worked well, blocked most stuff.

aaaaa0

aoi tsuki said:
It has a nifty immunize feature that'll catch pages that attempt to install programs via Active X. i ran IE yesterday, and a site attempted to install something.

IE in XP SP2 automatically blocks sites that try to install stuff, and you can choose to always block ActiveXs signed by a certain certificate.

Also, you can enable and disable browser extensions and ActiveXs that are installed (like Flash) on the fly.

hobbitx

Popnot is the best stopper I've ever used. I still use it for pages that absolutely must load in IE. It stops the pop-ups really quickly and smoothly, it comes with a trial and can be registered for only 15$ I think.

BioFan

Raoul Duke said:
Not using IE? I mean seriously, why are people still refusing to switch over to Firefox?

personally I prefer IE...get used to IE's interface and short cuts...I used to have norton internet security to block pop ups, now that I downloaded XP Sp2, their pop up blockers work much better.

Phoenix

Raoul Duke said:
Not using IE? I mean seriously, why are people still refusing to switch over to Firefox?

Its like getting people to switch from Windows to Linux. The inertia of having something that already does 90% of what you want to do removes any desire to look at alternatives. Its easier to wait for someone to give you a new version of what you already use than it is to 'risk' a new product.4

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Phoenix said:
Its like getting people to switch from Windows to Linux. The inertia of having something that already does 90% of what you want to do removes any desire to look at alternatives. Its easier to wait for someone to give you a new version of what you already use than it is to 'risk' a new product.4

Yeah, but switching to Firefox is extremely quick and simple...whereas switching to Linux reduces that 90% to about 20%...

That said, if you want to stick with IE...XP SP2 will do the job very well.

Even though I have both Firefox and IE installed on my machine, I use IE 99.9% of the time because it's a bit faster than Firefox.

Deg

Banned
Then use Opera "The Fastest Browser on Earth!".

o753front.png

takes less RAM as well.

www.opera.com

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Phoenix said:

bad analogy.
Switching to linux and switching to firefox are totally different. one you dont have to spend a week trying to get to run properly.

Deg

Banned
DopeyFish said:
nothing touches IE in terms of speed. Fastest browser on earth my ass.

Opera is faster. Period. Takes less resources too especially when you have several tabs running. Feature wise beats all other browsers hands down and is well programmed.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
DopeyFish said:
nothing touches IE in terms of speed. Fastest browser on earth my ass.

This is funny. Considering that almost every benchmark has shown that IE is the slowest of the 4 major PC-based browsers (IE, Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera). And generally, Firefox has proven to be the fastest.

If you want to argue compatability (because IE does not conform to standards and 90% of the Internet is designed to run on IE), that's a different issue altogether. But it certainly is not faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom