• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best video game engine

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Something that I always notice and like about video games are the graphics engines, because they give the evolution and optimization that was not there before.

I always like how Capcom gave us the RE Engine, which was the best thing capcom has done in the last few years.

To pass this abomination

To improve this epic scene

Even the change of Director of Street Fighter has been the best.

It's a great shame that KONAMI gave us one of the best graphics engines ever... FOX ENGINE, it hasn't been updated, but it's the best I've seen.

Frostbite is the only good thing EA has done, I like Battlefield V for the implementation of this graphic engine.

From the recent rumors, I don't know if it's false or true, but Matrix has implemented the future of video games with Unreal Engine 5.

Naughty dog Engine

Nintendo has taken a big step in its evolution as a company by giving a great Engine and the mastery it has done with Zelda BOTW

What I liked about BOTW is the fact that each object has its weight, its temperature, interaction, noise, BOTW objects feel real

I hope that Nintendo evolves more with its graphic engine, Pokemon Legends Arceus, if you notice it in detail, it uses the same BOTW Engine.

Banned
Fox Engine was crazy good, which makes it sad how things turned out with Konami.
but nowadays I guess it would be a bit dated.

iD Tech is the fucking performance king. you can easily get triple digit framerates in Doom Eternal with raytracing on low end rtx cards.

Unreal Engine is the flexibility king. you can do everything with that engine and it's relatively easy to use.
but due to the ease of use features you often get unpolished and shittily performing games that rely on the slower blueprint visual language instead of C++

Unity is super easy to use, but has many really shitty little quirks that you basically need to know in order to fix them during development... some of the defaults in there are mindbogglingly stupid and collision detection needs special care if you don't wanna get really buggy collisions.

from a player's perspective currently I think iD Tech 7 and RE Engine are the 2 best engines out there.
great performance with great visuals

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Not understanding all the ins and outs. I would say.

Season 9 Yes GIF by Friends

Also what ever engine shin’en use

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Modern engines? Decima for sure. Death Stranding is crazy looking
ND engine is magic too.

Classics? MT Framework.

Agree with you,

Decima engine, I liked how Death Stranding was shown... I thought it was not possible to see this on ps4

In the other side

MT Framework, just because of the Fire effect from Lost Planet... It's a personal opinion, but MT Framework is the most horrible thing Capcom has ever done.

Last edited:
Meh not a powerhouse by todays standards but i loved Quake 3 engine... it's like 80% of the games used that engine at one point. Then U3 came along and every game looked gray and brown. But have very fond memories of that time and Q3 reign.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Agree with you,

Decima engine, I liked how Death Stranding was shown... I thought it was not possible to see this on ps4

In the other side

MT Framework, just because of the Fire effect from Lost Planet... It's a personal opinion, but MT Framework is the most horrible thing Capcom has ever done.

Dude I launched lost planet recently again. The explosions!
MT framework have this animations fluiditiy. maybe it's motion blur. Dead Rising looks smooth like that too.

remember the multiplayer ?!

And for Death Stranging?! The game is incredible. Huge open areas. Fully 3d meshes. Every rock affects the bike handling.
And the faces and facial animations are still most realistic I've ever seen.
Game that does this:

does this too (HUGE SPOILERS WTF DONT OPEN IF YOU'VE NOT FINISHED)

Or horizon:

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Dude I launched lost planet recently again. The explosions!
MT framework have this animations fluiditiy. maybe it's motion blur. Dead Rising looks smooth like that too.

Indeed, this is the effect that I love about fire from Lost planet.

Maybe it was the implementation of MT Framework in some cases it was horrible, but in others they are good like Monster hunter World

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I think Remedy Entertainment's Northlight Engine impresses me most. Used in Quantum Break and Control.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Indeed, this is the effect that I love about fire from Lost planet.

Maybe it was the implementation of MT Framework in some cases it was horrible, but in others they are good like Monster hunter World
Their next Engine, Lumous engine is crazy too. Also have this very smooth animations.
Sadly, we've only seen it in ff XV I think

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We have many excellent engines nowadays, each best suited for different purposes:

- Naughty Dog's engine for cinematic linear gameplay and fantastic AI.
- Decima for excellent open-world.
- id Tech for smooth, high-performant FPS
- Fox engine was excellent too (RIP)

Last edited:

intbal

It's truly a shame the Tencent Engine Unreal Engine is going to be killing off so many other unique game engines.
Diverse visuals are often sourced from working within constraints. Everything is likely to start looking the same.

hinch7

id Tech is legit great. Has been a staple engine for a lot of game developers and the code from IDtech 3 is still relevant today - see MW2. That engine scales so well.

RE Engine is pretty amazing as well for performance and visuals as is Decima Engine.

Last edited:

Fbh

Decima is pretty amazing, some of the best character models and awesome environmental detail. Also very scalable, it's insane how good something like Forbidden West still manages to look on a base Ps4.
ID tech is really cool at pushing out nice visuals with a focus on performance, awesome graphics while targeting 60fps on last gen consoles isn't easy but they pull it off
Unreal is also very good and very versatile, it also scales really well in the hands of a good team like The Coalition.

RE Engine is good on the visuals vs performance scale but I always find characters in it to look really weird.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Use Havok un The last guardian

Phyre engine

There is some similarity in The last guardian and Gravity rush 2, in the use of cel shading with real objects.

If someone can confirm for me, the Gravity rush 1 and 2 engine is the same as the Dark souls games use... or it may be a misconception on the internet

The fire effect of Bloodborne

From software and Specially Japan studio I send you all my greetings and gratitude for giving a lot of quality.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Considering how great Doom Eternal looks and how it runs on mediocre hardware I have to say idtech

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Unreal 5 has massive potential but it’s down to skill/talent and ease of use. I am excited to see what comes of it.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
RE engine, Decima and MT frameworks are really solid engines with some great results. Curious to see how Unreal engine 5 plays out. Looking good so far. Luminous engine is also very impressive but as of now, rather underutilized.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Its the one made from scratch specifically designed to handle the game you make, preferably written in C or even Assembly to take full advantage of the hardware. For example
For example
Q. What is the Nitrous engine?

A. Nitrous is a next-generation game engine designed to handle enormous amounts of visual and gameplay complexity, from 10,000+ simpler units to 1,000 highly complex units and environments.
id Tech is written in what John Carmack called "C style C++" and it can run at 60 fps even in base Xbox One.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Frostbite 1.5
Bad Company 2 is still amazing and does things that other games just don't do.
I know frostbite got a bad rap as it was used for a bunch of game that it wasnt really designed for but for BC2 it was way ahead of its time.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Bethesda engine is underrated.
An old fossil, which can do, what no other engine can do.

An upgraded version to the current graphic would be epic on that engine.
Its still probably the only engine where you can drop a fork anywhere in the vast open world and 100 hours later the game still renders it like that. Every other engine will reset that if you go to the next area. Each individual object has its own physics and its not just part of the scenery (sometimes its way too effective). The engine definitely needs an upgrade, we will see what they offer in Starfield.

rushgore

Its still probably the only engine where you can drop a fork anywhere in the vast open world and 100 hours later the game still renders it like that. Every other engine will reset that if you go to the next area. Each individual object has its own physics and its not just part of the scenery (sometimes its way too effective). The engine definitely needs an upgrade, we will see what they offer in Starfield.
This is why I love Bethesda games so much. I always decorate my house with hand placed items in Skyrim.

Top Bottom