• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Contractor Debunks the Latest Clickbait FUD About MS/Bethesda (Employees Aren't Leaving)

ManaByte

Since I know this sort of BS will eventually be posted (and likely guilded by someone), here's the debunk for the video before that thread is made.

Basically a YouTube posted a FUD video claiming Bethesda employees are running away from the company because MS is changing the culture too fast.

Tweets have been deleted, but a Environmental Level Design Contractor (who's been there for two years) says it's fake news:
E2rjiaSXwBQ0MjC

Stuart360

I didnt even know there was a rumour to be honest lol.
Besides i'm sure there are a few devs there upset about being bought out, as they probably would be regardles of who bought them.
Plus until we get FACTUAL evidence to the contruary, Microsoft have said they will leave Bethesda to do their own thing (for the most part obviously), so until we hear different we have to take that as truth.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Plus until we get FACTUAL evidence to the contruary, Microsoft have said they will leave Bethesda to do their own thing (for the most part obviously), so until we hear different we have to take that as truth.

We have had evidence to the contrary. When the merger was announced they had Hines and Todd Howard talking about how close MS and they have been since Morrowind on the Xbox and it's not a shock to the system to be the same company.

Stuart360

We have had evidence to the contrary. When the merger was announced they had Hines and Todd Howard talking about how close MS and they have been since Morrowind on the Xbox and it's not a shock to the system to be the same company.
Yes i know. Todd even said in the past that the Xbox version of Morrowind literally saved the company.
I'm talking more about Microsoft interfering, and changing stuff, within Zenimax. They said they wont get too involved.

ManaByte

Never even heard of this rumour until now.
Me neither. Its obviously not a widespread rumour or there would of been 20 multiple page threads about it on here already.
Was just posted today. Only saw it because of the debunkers piling on the guy (who has almost 400K subs on YouTube) for posting bullshit. It would've eventually been posted here like the DRM video and guilded.

Varteras

Gold Member
Considering all the details of the acquisition probably won't be 100% finalized, like structure and redundancies, until a few months from now I find it hard to believe there is already some mass exodus of employees. I'm sure at some point there will be culture clashes that cause some people to leave but this is an overreaction to something typical.

Stuart360

Yeah some Youtuber makes a vid, without zero facts, and now its going to become 'fact', i can see it coming lol.
I'll just say this, if there was some mass excodus at Bethesda, Schreer would of been all over this, we would never hear the end of it.

Varteras

Gold Member
Yeah some Youtuber makes a vid, without zero facts, and now its going to become 'fact', i can see it coming lol.
I'll just say this, if there was some mass excodus at Bethesda, Schreer would of been all over this, we would never hear the end of it.
Oh just wait. If Schreier has some kind of beef with Microsoft he'll spin something. "I've spoken to a number, the amount I cannot say, of anonymous sources whose positions within the company I cannot disclose who have told me that 'shit be whack' at Bethesda. Clearly, this is yet another example of how capitalism is evil, crunch is destroying families, and the only solution is a union"

Kataploom

Gold Member
I didnt even know there was a rumour to be honest lol.
Besides i'm sure there are a few devs there upset about being bought out, as they probably would be regardles of who bought them.
Why? That's not their business, they're only paid to work, period. Such an unhealthy emotional attachment to a company, wow..

Stuart360

Why? That's not their business, they're only paid to work, period. Such an unhealthy emotional attachment to a company, wow..
I know its not their business, but some workers wont like their company being bought out, i was on in a similar situation myslef with one of my old jobs.
Its just part or life, and even if this WAS all true, its nothing unusual.
Plus Phil and Todd said they had been in negotiations since 2018, so i highly doubt the staff didnt know about this months and possibly years before we did. Even if it was just from rumours and hearsay.

elliot5

Yeah this was some ridiculous FUD that I wasn't buying based on all the other acquired studios reports + it's been 3 months when everyone's still working from home.

The only cultural change may be that they are using Teams instead of Slack now. Maybe.

Oh yeah, they saw rifts, grapples, gliders and wet hair weren't possible on the xbox machine so they're all mass quitting highly paid jobs.

This Tyler dude was fun to listen to when there were new speculations about HL3. Since his content is pretty much only HL universe, there isnt much to talk about so he went the YongYea way of becoming a drama poster to put out content.

assurdum

Banned
Not to saying I believe the rumour (though it's quite normal it happens after some acquisition in whatever company) but because Bethesda denies it, in what way they are reliable about such stuff? Of course a company would never admit it.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Not to saying I believe the rumour (though it's quite normal it happens after some acquisition in whatever company) but because Bethesda denies it, in what way they are reliable about such stuff? Of course a company would never admit it.
I think you are missing the point, there is no rumour. The rumour was started by a Youtuber in one of his vids, he was speculating and hasnt spoke or knows anyone at Bethesda.
Its literally no different than you making a Youtube video right now saying Microsoft in talks to sell Xbox to Google!.

EDIT. And the guy who debunked it was a contractor, not oficial Bethesda staff.
Plus the Youtuner himself has just come out and said he was wrong. Let it go.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

I think you are missing the point, there is no rumour. The rumour was started by a Youtuber in one of his vids, he was speculating and hasnt spoke or knows anyone at Bethesda.
Its literally no different than you making a Youtube video right now saying Microsoft in talks to sell Xbox to Google!.

EDIT. And the guy who debunked it was a contractor, not oficial Bethesda staff.
Plus the Youtuner himself has just come out and said he was wrong. Let it go.

Oh but there is a rumour, there’s a whole thread on GAF about it.

I also like how you say there’s no rumour but in the next sentence tell us how this non-existent rumour started. 🤣

Godot25

Banned
Soo...let me get facts straight

Microsoft bought Bethesda and promised hands-off approach with probably only mandate that future games will be PC/Xbox only
Employees are still working from home
Devs would probably have more creative freedom in games they are making due to Game Pass nature
They knew about a buyout for more than 6 months before it was competed

and somehow people are leaving in droves now.

Sure Jan GIF

I really don't think devs are so petty, they would leave a job, because they can't develop games for PS5. Because 99,9% of them don't care about console warrior bullshit.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Soo...let me get facts straight

Microsoft bought Bethesda and promised hands-off approach with probably only mandate that future games will be PC/Xbox only
Employees are still working from home
Devs would probably have more creative freedom in games they are making due to Game Pass nature
They knew about a buyout for more than 6 months before it was competed

and somehow people are leaving in droves.

Sure Jan GIF

I really don't think devs are so petty, they would leave a job, because they can't develop games for PS5. Because 99,9% of them don't care about console warrior bullshit.
I wouldn't be surprised that people who were responsible for technical part of PS ports and that's in what they specialized for years (sometimes even whole career) would leave company that don't have any use from their skills anymore.

John Wick

There will always be people leaving. Bethesda is huge and a few people will be leaving for various reasons. Happens at most studios that are huge.

Top Bottom