• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betsy DeVos was blocked by protesters from entering D.C. school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exile20

C4MYYkHUYAQT_cl.jpg

https://twitter.com/BetsyDeVos/status/829487490805460992
lol

Dai101

Banned
I feel like this is going to backfire in a huge way. Look at her face in that clip; she is trying not to break down, but she's clearly shaken. And that means she's furious. And that means she has even more resolve to use her considerable power to fuck over public schools. If she gets a chance to go inside, she meets with students, she sees the faces of the kids that her policies are actually affecting, that puts a human face on everything. This just steels her will that public schools are worth sacrificing.

l12GTeG.jpg

Zakalwe

Banned
It's a joke based on her experience with public schools that she's now in charge of.

Ah, ha! Well played that poster.

I feel like this is going to backfire in a huge way. Look at her face in that clip; she is trying not to break down, but she's clearly shaken. And that means she's furious. And that means she has even more resolve to use her considerable power to fuck over public schools. If she gets a chance to go inside, she meets with students, she sees the faces of the kids that her policies are actually affecting, that puts a human face on everything. This just steels her will that public schools are worth sacrificing.

Utter nonsense.

Surfinn

Expect there's the fact that she's filthy rich, super religious and won't waver on her policies. She's got no reason to change. She's got no reason to suddenly care.

Conservatives spend their entire lives telling poor people to work harder. Maybe if students' parents work hard too, they can afford private schools?

jelly

She bought the job right, is there money to be made from her point of view by screwing over public schooling? Why else would she take the job if she is completely unqualified.

Arkeband

Banned

She's 59 years old, she has had ample time to see faces of children, there will be no magical moment where she suddenly grows a heart like The Grinch. It didn't happen with Trump like people somehow deusionally believed, and it's not going to happen with this woman. Stop treating predatory billionaires like they're developmentally retarded and start treating them like the enemies of the public like they are.

The only way she can win the trust of the public is if she goes against everything she has stood for for the last few decades. It is not the public's job to put on an act for her in some lame attempt to trick her into thinking we're her friends.

That literally looked like a movie or tv show with the high camera angle and smooth glide backwards. They must have had the camera on wheels.

Also that was hilarious and awesome.

Ambient80

GO BACK!” one of the men can be clearly heard saying. "SHAME! SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!” the small vociferous crowd continued.

😂😂😂 I'm picturing Cersei Lannister in this moment

I hope she cried when she got into the limo.

That literally looked like a movie or tv show with the high camera angle and smooth glide backwards. They must have had the camera on wheels.

Also that was hilarious and awesome.

"Liberal tears are so delicious. Why don't they have jobs? #MAGA"

Chococat

Some one clue me into the bear/grizzly jokes related to DeVos?

Good on the protesters and the twitter response to pencils.

Etzer

lol I'm sorry but this is nonsense. Do you think we live in a Disney Channel Original Movie?

zma1013

I wonder what all the Trump voters who bought into his "anti establishment/wallstreet" bullshit have to say about DeVos.

The ones that I know have absolutely zero idea about who she is or what her policies are, yet because Trump picked her, they were upset about all the resistance towards her and didn't understand the controversy nor did they take any initiative to go find out why people were opposed to her.

Well, I should note that it was just general Trump supporters I know that I'm talking about. No idea if they even knew or cared about the anti-establishment/wallstreet stuff. I'm going to guess not.

platocplx

you guys watch too many fairy tales her heart isnt going to grow three times in one day. she doesnt give a damn but what she wants to do thats her conviction. Tired of people who think just being nice to these people and showing them the plights of schools will change their mind. How do you know that when she sees conditions she decides even more vehemently that what ever she wants to do makes sense too.

She is NOT qualified for this job and people should keep giving her Hell for it. She doesn't deserve the position especially when you look at who was just in that position and their merits.

lol I'm sorry but this is nonsense. Do you think we live in a Disney Channel Original Movie?

clearly that post is drawing from the grinch. lmao

You are aware that her brother is the head of fucking Blackwater, right?

you guys watch too many fairy tales her heart isnt going to grow three times in one day. she doesnt give a damn but what she wants to do thats her conviction. Tired of people who think just being nice to these people and showing them the plights of schools will change their mind. How do you know that when she sees conditions she decides even more vehemently that what ever she wants to do makes sense too.

She is NOT qualified for this job and people should keep giving her Hell for it. She doesn't deserve the position especially when you look at who was just in that position and their merits.

clearly that post is drawing from the grinch. lmao

It's not drawing from the Grinch, it's drawing from personal experience. I'm the son of two public school educators, I went through public school, and after college I took a job in a private school before moving on to a career in fundraising for higher education. My entire life has been spent in education. I know what a threat someone like DeVos is to education in this country. I know that she's completely unqualified for the position. Here's the problem... she already has the job. She has all the power. We can protest her (and absolutely should when it comes to things like vouchers, which are bullshit, or unregulated charters which have been catastrophic wherever they're implemented). But if that's your ONLY solution to dealing with the bully, the bully is going to win, because the bully already has the power and isn't going to change her mind because you were mean.

On the flip side, I've seen people who were adamantly opposed to funding daycare services and early childhood education programs who changed their tune when they saw a room full of pre-schoolers showing off what they were learning. Emotion trumps logic. Betsy DeVos thinks vouchers and unregulated charter schools are logical. You want to fight against that? Hit her in the heartstrings. Maybe it doesn't work; what's the harm in trying if she's going to push an anti-public school agenda anyway? But I think y'all are misjudging her. Not on her merits (she is supremely unqualified), but on her motives. I think she legitimately thinks she is helping kids. Let the kids show her how good public schools can be and how her policies hurt. That's a thousand times more powerful than a group of angry parents that she can dismiss and ignore.

She's already got the power and we need to fight her on every front we can. That's not just turning her away at the door, which feels good, but is probably fruitless for convincing her to advance the educational standards we'd like to see. Emotional manipulation works, and it might be the only tool we have that can stop the gutting of public schools at this point. And as a father of a young child, I'm more interested in solutions that actually work to protect our public schools, rather than actions that make us feel good for spitting on the bully (who then turns around and destroys us). If it's a moot point, so be it; at least you're using every tactic at your disposal.

mike6467

If she saw these children as people, the Michigan school system wouldn't have ended up the way it did. She's also looking to use schools to "advance God's kingdom" which is worth protesting on its own.

Beardo absolutely wanted to go Full Gandalf there, but stopped himself for whatever reason. Dunno why. Shoulda gone for it.

GO BACK..

(fuck it)

BACK TO THE SHADOW

FLAME OF UDUN! THE DARK FIRES WILL NOT AVAIL YOU

Surfinn

It's not drawing from the Grinch, it's drawing from personal experience. I'm the son of two public school educators, I went through public school, and after college I took a job in a private school before moving on to a career in fundraising for higher education. My entire life has been spent in education. I know what a threat someone like DeVos is to education in this country. I know that she's completely unqualified for the position. Here's the problem... she already has the job. She has all the power. We can protest her (and absolutely should when it comes to things like vouchers, which are bullshit, or unregulated charters which have been catastrophic wherever they're implemented). But if that's your ONLY solution to dealing with the bully, the bully is going to win, because the bully already has the power and isn't going to change her mind because you were mean.

On the flip side, I've seen people who were adamantly opposed to funding daycare services and early childhood education programs who changed their tune when they saw a room full of pre-schoolers showing off what they were learning. Emotion trumps logic. Betsy DeVos thinks vouchers and unregulated charter schools are logical. You want to fight against that? Hit her in the heartstrings. Maybe it doesn't work; what's the harm in trying if she's going to push an anti-public school agenda anyway? But I think y'all are misjudging her. Not on her merits (she is supremely unqualified), but on her motives. I think she legitimately thinks she is helping kids. Let the kids show her how good public schools can be and how her policies hurt. That's a thousand times more powerful than a group of angry parents that she can dismiss and ignore.

She's already got the power and we need to fight her on every front we can. That's not just turning her away at the door, which feels good, but is probably fruitless for convincing her to advance the educational standards we'd like to see. Emotional manipulation works, and it might be the only tool we have that can stop the gutting of public schools at this point. And as a father of a young child, I'm more interested in solutions that actually work to protect our public schools, rather than actions that make us feel good for spitting on the bully (who then turns around and destroys us). If it's a moot point, so be it; at least you're using every tactic at your disposal.
The problem here is that your personal experience and empathetic outlook is the opposite of hers. She's lived in a twisted world where everything is fair and even. Where being poor or non white doesn't matter. We have no reason, judging from the questions she answered and her track record as a PERSON that she's suddenly going to flip flop and empathise with the average or below average struggling American.

That perspective is partially what elected Trump. "Just give him a chance! He's different you'll see!" When he spent his entire existence proving he's just as bad as he seems.

Now I'm not saying she's as bad as Trump, just that we have zero reason to think she's going to empathise with and help struggling people.
Beardo absolutely wanted to go Full Gandalf there, but stopped himself for whatever reason. Dunno why. Shoulda gone for it.

GO BACK..

(fuck it)

BACK TO THE SHADOW

Lol, hopefully this edit is happening soon.

Armaros

Everyone in the Trump administration so far has shown that they are motivated by two things; personal greed and emotions. If you want to get them on your side, you have to manipulate them in those areas. "Come meet our students" is a much better emotional manipulation than telling her to fuck right off (even though we all feel that way). Now she's probably too far gone for it to matter regardless, but it's worth a shot. Making these people feel hated is going to end with them not caring who they hurt. Actually, no, that's not quite right; she already doesn't care who she hurts. Maybe if she had a chance to interact with them, she'd start to.

She is a billiionare who bought her way through Congress into that job. A billionare whos family made money off of the suffering of others.

She has a lifetime of showing she hates the pubilc school system for not allowing God to be taught like in a Bible School.

Why would she care now?

This isn't some TV show or Movie, where the villain turns a new leaf because of some plucky school kids.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I would feel so good if I was one of those protesters. There were like 5 of them and she was still scared off. Talk about making a difference

GO BACK..

(fuck it)

BACK TO THE SHADOW

lol, someone please make this happen

Lol yes because she's the grinch and the spirit of children would have made her heart grow and grow and change her deep rooted mind about public schools

This post is such nonsense it made me cancel my plans for the rest of the day and grab a case of beer to pretend like I never read this.

Surfinn

CNN said:
"I respect peaceful protest, and I will not be deterred in executing the vital mission of the Department of Education," the statement said. "No school door in America will be blocked from those seeking to help our nation's school children."

How courageous of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom