• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biden to Take Amtrak Home After Inauguration

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an every day thing it wouldn't work, but then again there aren't many jobs I'd be willing to travel that far for on a daily basis.

I was reading a thing about it the other day and actually it didn't sound too bad. I think they just reserve a car on the train and that's about it. I remember reading most people had no idea they were on it with Biden.

Ah makes sense, then.

As an every day thing it wouldn't work, but then again there aren't many jobs I'd be willing to travel that far for on a daily basis.

I was looking at Philly to Manhattan out of curiosity. It would be about 6 gallons (~$15) a day in gas, and about $25-30 in tolls. Just those expenses $800-900 a month. Then car insurance/mileage/maintenance? Easily another $200-300 a month. It's not as super out of reach as I would have thought. Plus you would get 3+ hours of time where you're not driving. So it's not absolutely ridiculous, but still very expensive if you wanted to use it as an every day commute. But, Philly rents are probably $1400 a month cheaper and you could make up the difference in that!

Still, it would be nice if our major rail infrastructure was actually cheap enough for people to actually use to commute. If you were really going to do that commute you'd use the Chinatown buses cause they are dirt cheap.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I was looking at Philly to Manhattan out of curiosity. It would be about 6 gallons (~$15) a day in gas, and about $25-30 in tolls. Just those expenses $800-900 a month. Then car insurance/mileage/maintenance? Easily another $200-300 a month. It's not as super out of reach as I would have thought. Plus you would get 3+ hours of time where you're not driving. So it's not absolutely ridiculous, but still very expensive if you wanted to use it as an every day commute. But, Philly rents are probably $1400 a month cheaper and you could make up the difference in that!

Still, it would be nice if our major rail infrastructure was actually cheap enough for people to actually use to commute. If you were really going to do that commute you'd use the Chinatown buses cause they are dirt cheap.

I mean, in a case like that I feel like I'd rather live in New York. Your rent will be higher, but you won't have the overly long travel time either.

I mean, in a case like that I feel like I'd rather live in New York. Your rent will be higher, but you won't have the overly long travel time either.

You are absolutely right, but the travel time isn't as obscene as it sounds. It's 3 hours total. People who live in the North Jersey suburbs end up doing that or more some days factoring in traffic, should they drive. If you live in Queens commuting to Manhattan is going to take a long time too, up to 2 hours via public transit.

Dre

It's worth pointing out that he'd be a full 8 years older than the current oldest president ever elected (which is Trump, age 70). Which doesn't mean Biden couldn't do it, but I have a feeling he won't.

He'd be 82 after his first term, I highly doubt someone would want such a stressful job at that age.
Just look at before/after pics of W or Obama.

Dalek

He'd be 82 after his first term, I highly doubt someone would want such a stressful job at that age.
Just look at before/after pics of W or Obama.

Good point.

15965797_10154041286336891_3973540543313354326_n.jpg

Cystm

Seems like a great dude. I have hope that more people like Joe Biden and the majority of this administration will unite and strengthen against Trump and his shitty supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom