• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bigger Fatter Liar: Has Science Gone Too Far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

creatchee

1286510328673_10862.jpg

IHeartMtnDEW be like:
tumblr_n0a8m4sAX01rb2jspo1_250.gif

Xero

You see, sometimes, for the sake of comedic writing, you exaggerate things a little bit or make ridiculous assertions like "child actor legally changed his name to that of an oddly memetic character from a fairly run-of-the-mill film".

the problem its lazy comedy writing and rarely funny, and never clever.

Fisty

I would actually genuinely be curious about what would happen if adult Frankie Muniz came back to acting. If Justin Timberlake could have a not abysmal run at acting, adult Frankie Muniz can. I mean, bare minimum, it would have to be better than Shia The Beef.

Actually I kinda want to see what Frankie could have done in the Jesse Pinkman role lol

Budi

I recognize the woman in that image from Dark Matter. that's all I got OP

I know her from Tideland only. And I've always wondered why people seem to hate that film. Personally I'd say it's even a good film. But it's rated worse than Assassin's Creed, Man of Steel etc.

the problem its lazy comedy writing and rarely funny, and never clever.

So, to clarify, are you going to bat for Frankie Muniz, or against making references?

I just really don't get why you're upset about that line in particular, when it's just a gag line that isn't even an insult, just a reference to two different other things Muniz had been in.

Actually I kinda want to see what Frankie could have done in the Jesse Pinkman role lol

That...

Huh. That could almost work.

Barry Bostwick's agent is a hell of a writer: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000960/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Tall (6' 4"), agile, energetic, and ever-so-confident as both actor and singer, especially on the award-winning Broadway stage, Barry Bostwick possesses that certain narcissistic poise, charm and élan that reminds one instantly (and humorously) of a Kevin Kline -- both were quite brilliant in their respective interpretations of The Pirate King in "The Pirates of Penzance". Yet, for all his diverse talents (he is a Golden Globe winner and was nominated for the Tony Award three times, winning once), Barry is indelibly caught in a time warp. Even today, 35 years after the fact, he is indelibly associated with the role of nerdy hero Brad Majors in the midnight movie phenomena The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975). While it is extremely flattering to be a part of such a cult institution, Barry's acting legacy deserves much more than this.

Fisty

Barry Bostwick's agent is a hell of a writer: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000960/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Tall (6' 4"), agile, energetic, and ever-so-confident as both actor and singer, especially on the award-winning Broadway stage, Barry Bostwick possesses that certain narcissistic poise, charm and élan that reminds one instantly (and humorously) of a Kevin Kline -- both were quite brilliant in their respective interpretations of The Pirate King in "The Pirates of Penzance". Yet, for all his diverse talents (he is a Golden Globe winner and was nominated for the Tony Award three times, winning once), Barry is indelibly caught in a time warp. Even today, 35 years after the fact, he is indelibly associated with the role of nerdy hero Brad Majors in the midnight movie phenomena The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975). While it is extremely flattering to be a part of such a cult institution, Barry's acting legacy deserves much more than this.

Left out his breakout role, truly a legacy that will outlive the medium

428780_full.jpg

Wait, holy shit, Bostwick was Brad Majors?

Huh. I actually only knew of him from Spin City.

Also, re-reading my original post, I see I completely forgot the line where I ragged on Bostwick for starring in The Scorpion King 4. So just assume I made that joke in the original post and that it was more clever than it actually would have been.

jman2050

I get that this movie probably had a budget of about $700 and the cast and crew were mostly paid in cold ham sandwiches and Circuit City gift cards, but even so, I'm pretty sure there's no way that this movie will make its money back. I figure that the writer of "Puss-in-Boots" and the director of "Beethoven's Treasure Tail" and five episodes of the ill-fated "Animorphs" tv series aren't exactly going to combine their creative talents to light up the home box office, but even that doesn't explain the depths of depravity one has to sink to in order to make this film.

I think the answer is quite simple. There are a lot of people in the entertainment industry and even the D-listers need work to do.

Alphahawk

Like, I'm not even sure who this is for, I know an easy way to get your project off the ground in Hollywood is just to attach it to a franchise, but who in 2017 wanted a new Big Fat Liar.

Home Alone, Land Before Time etc all make sense because the original were beloved properties, but BFL, always seemed like just a way to transition Frankie Munez and Amanda Bynes to the silver screen.

Xero

So, to clarify, are you going to bat for Frankie Muniz, or against making references?

I just really don't get why you're upset about that line in particular, when it's just a gag line that isn't even an insult, just a reference to two different other things Muniz had been in.

Its merely a pet peeve and yes purposely disregarding an actors name just to refer to them as a character they played is insulting and dismissive. For the same reason it would be rude to refer to an actor you meet in person as only one of their character names and not their real name when you know better.

Clearly you didnt intend it as an insult when i did though. Thats why it struck out to me because it appeared as a unrelevant insult that felt like it came from no where.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom