• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Billy Joel.....The Piano Man, and my Indoctrinated Youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piano Man is one of the worst songs ever written.

Uptown Girl is great though.
I would say We Didn't Start the Fire, but only because I hate list songs.

Piano Man I obviously left off my list because I figured that's the defacto song that gets everyone to come together because they know every word and do that sway back and forth while drunk thing to it.

moggio

Banned
I would say We Didn't Start the Fire, but only because I hate list songs.

Piano Man I obviously left off my list because I figured that's the defacto song that gets everyone to come together because they know every word and do that sway back and forth while drunk thing to it.

Piano Man never had the popularity or resonance in the UK that it did in the USA and thus can be viewed objectively as the insufferable load of shite it is.

Uptown Girl, Tell Her About It, Just the Way You Are, and We Didn't Start the Fire are probably his most well known songs here.

Mr Swine

Banned
I heard only a few of his songs in the late 80's, early 90's here in Sweden as I'm born 83. It wasn't until 2001 when a friend a me watched Elton John live on TV on his One Night Only tour singing Yellow Brick Road with Billy.

My friend recommended his music and since then I've been hooked on Billy Joel's music, it shocked me a bit when I heard about him not making any new albums.

My favourite songs are:

All About Soul

River of Dreams

Piano Man

The Entertainer

You May Be Right

I remember being in primary school when We Didnt Start the Fire came out (in '88 or '89?) and a kid in my class had the lyrics printed on a piece of paper. I thought he was so cool. lol

WMBT27

I've always found Billy Joel very relatable despite being 40+ years younger than him and growing up in Massachusetts suburbs. Dude's just universal. My parents always had the radio on the "greatest hits of the 60s, 70s, and 80s!" growing up, and it wasn't until I was older and started exploring that I really noticed how huge his library is.

Like, you take a song off of Cold Spring Harbor, then off of Piano Man, then off of Turnstiles, then off of River of Dreams... he sort of gets pigeonholed as "guy who did Piano Man" but he's got a ton of variety.

Some of my favorites:

Tomorrow is Today - I heard this is an adaptation of the note he left before a failed suicide attempt. I buy it. Super depressing!

Miami 2017 - Like, who writes a retrospective dystopian song about the fall of New York? Crazy.

Everybody Loves You Now - One of those deceptively energetic songs, that's really about spiteful loneliness.

Summer, Highland Falls - Definitely shows off his lyrical strength here. Straight up poetry, flows beautifully. "But as we stand upon the ledges of our lives with our respective similarities" - like, that lyric shouldn't work, you know?

The Ballad of Billy the Kid - But only the live versions from the 70s, like the one linked. It sounds good when it's fast and peppy, sort of bland on the album version.

Great list. Glad to see some cuts from Cold Spring Harbor on there, great under appreciated album.

Summer, Highland Falls is my favorite song ever. It's amazing

Like I'm not the biggest fan of Garth Brooks, or anything country at all, but when I saw the emotion he put into this cover of good night Saigon, and all the Vietnam vets came out, shit had me looking like John Kerry in this clip

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rO5LOH0w1q0

A more light-hearted moment but still gets big respect from me was during his 1994 performance of River of Dreams at the Grammy's he just stops singing and wastes "valuable air time and money" in protest of them rushing Sinatra off the stage earlier in the night when he was accepting his lifetime achievement award.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sHxBLDpiE_s

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Seeing as everybody fucking loves Piano Man I'm guessing no you don't have to be indoctrinated
I can't stand it, but I'm also a snob with a cold dry heart.

I'll admit the harmonizing on For The Longest Time is pretty mesmerizing, though.

moggio

Banned
The fuck is this hyperbole? The music is a catchy but completely inoffensive prelude, and the lyrics are a peek into the goings on of a bar and its patrons.

The bar is full of cunts and I want to kill myself whenever I hear the song.

Billy was everywhere in the late 80s, as was Bruce.

If you grew up in the early 80s it would have been Phil Collins and Paul McCartney.

It's just how it was, man.

Link1110

Or a more musical Sylvester Stallone
Or a more serious Weird Al

Cold_Spring_Harbor_by_Billy_Joel%2C_original_album_art.jpg
weirdal.gif

Marvie_3

Banned
Moved to nyc a couple years ago and while I still like some of his music, Im just tired of hearing about him constantly.

The Pope

In South Africa we had to listen to Good Night Saigon in History class about a week ago. Powerful Stuff.

Everyone of course loves piano man.

Moved to nyc a couple years ago and while I still like some of his music, Im just tired of hearing about him constantly.
Haha you can't handle it after a few years, imagine your whole life.
In South Africa we had to listen to Good Night Saigon in History class about a week ago. Powerful Stuff.

That must have been quite the experience. I guess that's what I'm trying to get across in this thread. I know what the man's music sounds like in my bubble, but to hear it's just as powerful with out having it to be drilled into your head since the womb is refreshing to hear.

Ahasverus

One of my most memorable moments on my trip to the US/NY/NJ was Piano Man playing on a restaurant in Jersey. I've heard the song before of course, but it just clicked at that moment. I find this thread very interesting for that reason actually.

I'm really goddamned sick of Piano Man. But I do love Billy Joel. Even some of his cheesier singles like Uptown Girl and The Longest Time.

AMUSIX

Grew up in California, but grew up playing piano. Billy Joel is really god-tier music, so many incredible songs. I will say that I find his biggest hits (Piano Man, We Didn't Start the Fire, Uptown Girl, etc) to be on the lower end of his stuff.

Personal favorites of his hits:
Vienna
Miami 2017
Prelude/Angry Young Man
The Downeaster "Alexa"
Ballad of Billy the Kid
Captain Jack
Baby Grand
and the solo in I Go to Extremes

I've always felt that the album Piano Man was almost a country album, but don't tell any Long Islanders that. Still, if you listen to Travellin' Prayer, Billy the Kid, You're My Home, Stop in Nevada, it seems pretty obvious.

Oh, and he's an amazing example of how bad trust and financial choices can fuck you over in the entertainment industry. Guy busts his ass for decades and ends up with almost no money. Glad that's turned around.

Heero5

Great post OP! I love Billy Joel!

This may sound insane but I only really "discovered" Billy Joel in 2012. I know, blasphemy! I went to a cover show around 2008 and nothing clicked or stuck with me apart from a short S&M scene. However as things changed in my life I started to find comfort in 2 bands, Billy Joel and CCR. Especially Billy Joel. They say you can't sing and be sad, I agree, and singing along to classic Billy Joel as Q104.3 blasts all of his hits is the ultimate catharsis.

I recently saw him at MSG with my father and again at MSG with my best friend, both times I was almost moved to tears. Such phenomenal concerts. I hope to see Billy Joel again.

I'm a Brit, and Billy is one of my favourite musical artists. I would say I'm definitely unusual here though.

Raised playing classical piano, didn't listen to any 'pop' music until my older brother gave me a Billy Joel mixtape he cooked up. I went onto buy his Millennium concert on CD around the age of 12 and just found myself absolutely engrossed.

There are very very few songs of his that I'm not keen on..he sings great melodies and I love his piano playing - Scenes, Prelude/Angry Young Man and Rootbeer Rag are all great examples in my view. I wish I could play Rootbeer at the speed he does!

Anyway, Billy the Kid is my top Billy track - love the atmosphere the strings and the piano segments create. Never get tired of listening to it.

When he played together with Bruce a few years back it represented the unspeakable, wish I'd been there for that. His Face to Face concerts with Elton sound great too, shame they've never been officially released as albums.

I find the most interesting, is his lyrics in "the entertainer"

"Today I am your champion / I may have won your hearts / But I know the game / You'll forget my name / And I won't be here / in another year / if I don't stay on the charts"

Guy hasn't been on the charts in decades and still relevant.

Edit: Billy the kid is also a huge favorite of mine because it was the first time in my life I heard "long island" mentioned in a sing. People have to understand, living in the city's shadow kind of sucks so when you hear about the island you live on, on a song, it's just cool. Growing up in the 80's, on family vacations out of state, people never heard of long island or even knew where it was. It's not a state, wtf is a long island.

Jobbs

Banned
I grew up only being allowed to listen to christian music. I had basically no exposure to Billy Joel or anything else not from a Christian label until my mid to late teens.

At this point I react to Billy Joel similarly to how I react to most classic rock: With a shrug. Not terrible, not interesting, a couple songs might be kinda neat.

Jag

His Face to Face concerts with Elton sound great too, shame they've never been officially released as albums.

I saw the first Face to Face concert in 94 at Giants Stadium. It was fantastic.

If you want to hear some good live stuff, Songs from the Attic is my favorite live album of his.

Yes at all of this Alexa love. No one ever mentions their love of that song. Billy Joel is the greatest tho
Probably because it has a lot to do with fishing, but it shares similar themes with the song no man's land, at least in the regard to the line "there's no more island left for islanders like me". They are trying to destroy out east with this stupid boardwalk development that's going to effect our natural shorelines and habitat out there.

Steveo

Banned
I think The Piano Man is one of the greatest songs ever made.

And even though it was written in 1973 (almost 45 years ago!). It's lyrics are still pretty relevant to this day... bunch of depressed and lonely people, trying to drink their troubles away, and find some companionship. Even if it's with a stranger over a drink or two.

I love Billy Joel man. I really don't know if its because I just innately love the music or if its because my parent's also constantly played his music in our house.

I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri but I have vivid memories of my parents putting on The Stranger or Glass Houses vinyl albums in our living room growing up in the 80s.

Every time I hear any of the songs form those albums, I have some intense waves of nostalgia of being in that living room as a kid and it just feels fantastic.

I've never seen him live before, but he's played here a Busch stadium a few times over the years. I may have to try and check that one off the bucket list as soon as I can.

Like I'm not the biggest fan of Garth Brooks, or anything country at all, but when I saw the emotion he put into this cover of good night Saigon, and all the Vietnam vets came out, shit had me looking like John Kerry in this clip

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rO5LOH0w1q0

I love music when it is powerful and moving like that.

In my freshman English class back in the late 80's we also listen to Goodnight Saigon. I remember the teacher turning the lights down, and telling everyone to close their eye and focus on the words.

Billy Joel will always be on my iPhone for those certain moods

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I grew up on LI (actually quite close to where Joel is from) and I remember vastly less Billy Joel saturation than the OP describes. I mean it was there and people generally liked him, but it was more "neat fact that this guy is from here" and less "HOMETOWN HERO HE'S THE BEST FOREVER"

I don't mind his music. I have some friends who do. Piano Man is a fun drunk/bar song.

I grew up on LI (actually quite close to where Joel is from) and I remember vastly less Billy Joel saturation than the OP describes. I mean it was there and people generally liked him, but it was more "neat fact that this guy is from here" and less "HOMETOWN HERO HE'S THE BEST FOREVER"

I don't mind his music. I have some friends who do. Piano Man is a fun drunk/bar song.
I guess it all depends on the the era you grew up in and the people you were around.

Jag

I guess it all depends on the the era you grew up in and the people you were around.

I think so. I grew up in the late 70s and early 80s and while we were fans, it was more like Anoregon said.

I do laugh when he says he's from Levittown instead of Hicksville. His interviews with Howard Stern are some of my favorites.

TheGrue

Yes at all of this Alexa love. No one ever mentions their love of that song. Billy Joel is the greatest tho

Funny enough, it's one of my favorite songs by him as well. "We Didn't Start the Fire" got all the attention on that album, but "The Downeaster 'Alexa" is the gem on that album. That song and "Goodnight Saigon" give me the feels.

ElFly

I hate "We didn't start the fire"

the main problem is that it is the kind of song that gets stuck in your head for days ugh

I think so. I grew up in the late 70s and early 80s and while we were fans, it was more like Anoregon said.

I do laugh when he says he's from Levittown instead of Hicksville. His interviews with Howard Stern are some of my favorites.
Yeah I was 6 when this came out, the tape in question from the OP
61v%2BN7UnIGL._SY300_.jpg

So that was 1986/87 I believe

Damnit, I saw this thread and got a sudden urge to listen to some Joel.

Miami 2017, Allentown, for the longest time, she's always a woman to me, just the way you are, the list goes on. I think it's just ingrained into Most Long islander's DNA.

My buddy got maried last summer, and after the wedding we were all drinking at the br at the hotel and had a room across the hall. We were playing music, and the last song we played was piano man, just a bunch of guys that knew each other forever and some of his wife's family huddled in a circle drunkenly swaying and singing piano man.... just a fantastic way to end an important day.

I saw him a year and a half or so back at MSG, it was such a great atmosphere. Me and my friends are gonna try to get tickets to see him in october after one of my friends gets out of the military.

Billy Joel is one of the most genius musicians America has produced. The music he creates is complicated and very few alive can actually play it. His classical piano rivals some of the greatest to every play. (hyperbole? maybe, but its grounded in truth no doubt.)

I was at a Garth Brooks show at the Wynn a few years ago. He dedicates about a minute of the show to the genius of Billy Joel. Garth admits he can't play the cords to one of his most popular hits, his cover of Shameless, a song written and recorded by Joel a few years earlier.

Goodnight Saigon is probably my favorite Billy Joel song followed closely by She's Always a Woman to Me, and The Night is Still Young.

Can't help but also mention Don't Ask Me Why

Ristifer

I adore Billy Joel. Two of my favourites of his are often overlooked: Sleeping With The Television On and Get It Right The First Time. Those are some great songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom