• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Billy "No, no, no, I’m not gay" Dee "Not that I have anything against gay people." Williams ("But personally? Not gay ")

buizel

Banned
Sounds like gay panic to me. Lando? More like Land-in-my-anus

Billy-Dee-Williams-4-e1575423334485.jpg

“Well, first of all, I asked last night. I said, ‘What the hell is gender fluid?’ That’s a whole new term,” Williams said in an interview with The Undefeated this week.

He was misunderstood, he says.

“So, that’s what I was referring to. I was talking about men getting in touch with the female side of themselves. I wasn’t talking about sex, I wasn’t talking about being gay or straight. People should read [Jung]. I mean, it would be an interesting education for a lot of people.”

Williams says he was a bit shocked to see the headlines — and the praise that came along with how some people reacted to the Esquire interview.

“No, no, no, I’m not gay — by any stretch of the imagination. Not that I have anything against gay people. But personally? Not gay,” he said.

Williams made a common mistake in attaching gender fluidity to sexual orientation. Gender fluidity refers to people who do not identify themselves as having a fixed gender. Many prefer to use non-gendered pronouns: “they” instead of “he” or “she.”

Nymphae

Banned
“So, that’s what I was referring to. I was talking about men getting in touch with the female side of themselves. I wasn’t talking about sex, I wasn’t talking about being gay or straight. People should read [Jung]. I mean, it would be an interesting education for a lot of people.”

In that interview, the 82-year-old actor said, “And you see, I say ‘himself’ and ‘herself,’ because I also see myself as feminine as well as masculine. I’m a very soft person. I’m not afraid to show that side of myself.”

This is confusing. What was the original statement to mean then? It seems like he is clearly saying he will use female and male pronouns for himself, which would seem to be a step beyond just "having a feminine side"

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is confusing. What was the original statement to mean then? It seems like he is clearly saying he will use female and male pronouns for himself, which would seem to be a step beyond just "having a feminine side"

It’s not confusing at all, he realized all the craziness usually in those online communities and said, “oh shit, what have I done, I don’t want this to be my legacy.”

Nymphae

Banned
It’s not confusing at all, he realized all the craziness usually in those online communities and said, “oh shit, what have I done, I don’t want this to be my legacy.”

Well now he says he identifies as a man but is on record saying he uses male and female pronouns for himself because he sees himself as feminine as well. He could have made the point about being in touch with a feminine side, which is a decades old cliche at this point, without saying he uses male and female pronouns for himself.

GreyHorace

Great fucking Christ. A man being in touch with his feminine side is nothing new. And as far as I know it has nothing to do with gender fluidity. These SJWs will latch onto anything for validation.

Stop looking for personal validation amongst the media you consume. The people who make it like Billy Dee Williams are not obligated to coddle you.

I'd like to see the transcript.. It seems like he was mixing up the words if anything. I'm not familiar with him usually but does he often refer to him/herself in the third person? Otherwise none of it makes any sense unless he was just making a point poorly.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
its so obvious when reporters try to force their agendas

like this guy is in his 80s, what the fuck was this journalist thinking, twisting the words of an old man? shame.

Doom85

Actually, in the SW Facebook group I'm in that definitely lean more SJW than anti, most people are cool with his explanation. He's not homophobic, and he's more open-minded about gender roles than a lot of people. All good in my book.

lil puff

I think when he first heard “gender fluid”, he was thinking of those Colt 45’s that he deposited all over women’s backs.
This was very good. I am glad no one was around to hear the sound effect I just made in the office upon reading that.

My mom used to LOVE BDW back in the day.

Claim to fame.. Billy Dee's son (Corey Dee?) did some construction work on my house when I was a wee lad. This had to be mid-80's. I had no clue he was "Klaatu" from ROTJ.

I don't remember it, but my parents told me about it, so it must be true. I also don't recall any fluids being involved (gendered or not).

Top Bottom