• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea |OT| Episode One

Reckoner

Goddammit. Irrational, why? Why would you do this?

Do you know what time this goes upon the XBL marketplace on Tuesday?

And don't tell me what to do! I am gracing your thread with my presence. You should be pleased.

What, is it coming tuesday? I thought it was for the end of the week. Oh, well, I'll wait until I finish the three BioShocks (again) to hop into the DLC. I'm still little over half of the first one...

What, is it coming tuesday? I thought it was for the end of the week. Oh, well, I'll wait until I finish the three BioShocks (again) to hop into the DLC. I'm still little over half of the first one...

See, Elzar, look at this! This person doesn't know the release date!

Adry9

Just bought the season pass and Steam is downloading 5Gb. Are those for Clash in the Clouds only or does it include the pre-load of Burial at Sea?

I looked into the op and I couldn't find it. :(

No problem. It is available starting November 12th. Different regions and systems may get it slightly later then the 12th.

In regards to XBL time, it will be up at, or just after 10 am BST (my time).

I'm not sure how and when steam update thier content. So I can't help with that question, sorry.

muzzymate

5gb? Noooooooooooo I only have a 20gb (which is actually 13) HDD. So I won't be able to install the game and download the DLC. So this means I have to play with the disc running :/

A 32GB USB key can be your friend in this situation (assuming Xbox based on your stated sizes).

Reckoner

No problem. It is available starting November 12th. Different regions and systems may get it slightly later then the 12th.

In regards to XBL time, it will be up at, or just after 10 am BST (my time).

I'm not sure how and when steam update thier content. So I can't help with that question, sorry.

Oh man, and now that you've said it I went back to the op and it was the first thing that popped.

Well, good to know. I'll probably only get the season pass by the end of the week, anyway.

I literally just finished BI and I am basically destroyed right now, emotionally.

I didn't want it to end, I really grew to love Elizabeth. I already knew the twists from the constant fucking spoilers (fuck you Twitter), so I literally knew every major part, but the trip, the way the characters reacted to the spoiled plot development.

What a fantastic story. Easily beat RDR as my favorite story of this generation now (RDR is still my favorite game all around though).

I really didn't want to leave Elizabeth, so I'm glad this BaS Liz is ours.

Now who the fuck is this Booker?

And why do I keep wanting to watch Oldboy...

Glad you enjoyed it - I had a similar reaction when I beat it. :) Although.. thankfully, I wasn't spoiled prior to playing. That would have been really sad. :/

------

Bah, was really hoping there'd be some deal/coupon/discount for the season pass before Tuesday, but looks like I'm gonna just have to bite the bullet and pay the full $20. (Yes, I'm cheap.)

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm guessing you have to have the vanilla game to play this? I skimmed my bro Elzar's OP, but I didn't see anything.

I own it on 360 but not on PC, and I'd rather play it at 1080p/60fps if at all possible.

I'm guessing you have to have the vanilla game to play this? I skimmed my bro Elzar's OP, but I didn't see anything.

I own it on 360 but not on PC, and I'd rather play it at 1080p/60fps if at all possible.

The ghosts of HaloGaf are haunting me.

Yes, under the info section, it mentions that Infinite will be required to play the DLC. : )

Jedi2016

Yeah, pretty sure you do. Steam lists it as an add-on, not a standalone title.

I'm assuming Steam will just download this for me since I've got the Season Pass. That'll be kewl, I can play it when I get home from work on Tuesday. :)

Finally here. I beat BI on Hard and then immediately replayed it on 1999 mode. Great game, just behind TLoU for my single-player game of the year. So glad this is coming out. I may replay BI and then this DLC to get me through the week until PS4.

neoism

Worldwide Release date: Available starting November 12th, 2013.

isyAV0RH4z2aH.gif
isyAV0RH4z2aH.gif
isyAV0RH4z2aH.gif
isyAV0RH4z2aH.gif
isyAV0RH4z2aH.gif
isyAV0RH4z2aH.gif

The average length of BAS is 2-3 hours according to Ken Levine, some people have finished it in less time, some have taken considerably more time.

glad I got the pass but seriously WHAT THE FUCK 15 bones for 2 hours
-_________________________-

I realllly need to try my original plan of waiting for the second... damn this thread... I didn't even know its was coming Tuesday until out 5 minutes ago. :*( :/

afoni

Banned
I was fairly excited before I saw that episode 1 can be done in an hour.

I was getting a load of stuff done prior to buying the season pass on Tuesday, but I'm pretty sure I can wait until Thursday now.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This is the last fucking time i bought a season pass, goddamnit.

Edit: I spent the last night re-downloading Infinite (20.2GB!!!) for this shit? well thank you Mr. Levine. Great job buddy.

Not discouraged at all by the reviews.
I'm more hyped for episode 2 because we get to play as Liz but this should be pure awesome for any Bioshock fan, even if it's short.

Disappointed by the length, but the scores don't bother me so much. You're basically playing half of a bioshock game. To me the endings are where the bioshock games are at their strongest, and hopefully episode 2 will bring around everything this was trying to accomplish.

afoni

Banned
I guess this kind of proves that Burial at Sea was meant to be a single DLC and they cut it into two pieces to make sure they had 3 pieces done in a year.

As long as Burial at Sea isn't shit, I guess I'm okay with that?

Ken Levine defends BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode 1's length

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-11-ken-levine-defends-bioshock-infinite-burial-at-seas-episode-1s-length

"I think there are definitely people who are like 'Well, I want hours and hours of gamplay'. I think if that is your primary metric, this probably isn't the thing for you.

We chose quality over quantity.

"We had a choice. Minerva's Den is terrific - I love it and it is effectively what we call a 'kebash' of BioShock 2. They take existing assets and modify them to make a new story. They did an amazing job with that. But we wanted to do something completely different.

More at the link.

You probably have to really rush it to beat it under 90 minutes but I guess we'll see tomorrow.
Personally I can't wait.

I can see this being ODST all over again. I too was surprised and worried about the length in relation to price. I know I will love this regardless because I love BioShock and its setting. Ultimately, It'll be up to you to decide. I look forward to this discussion.

Reviews

Joystiq:

Burial at Sea is an all too brief visit to Andrew Ryan's playground. Its best and most intriguing moments are over far too quickly, and even if you hunt down hidden secrets and listen to every conversation, the adventure tops out at around two hours. It's an excuse to return to Rapture, but it's not worth much else.

incgamers:

A criminally short opening chapter that nonetheless offers a glimpse of Rapture at its opulent heights. The noir intentions are dispensed too soon, so the Booker/Elizabeth relationship and familiar combat have to see Burial at Sea through to its disturbing, perplexing climax.

Eurogamer:

Part One of Burial at Sea is predicated on so many constants and variables that it will undoubtedly prove divisive. It feels all too brief, even as half of a two-part whole, but it delivers a rich storyline that builds to a suitably stunning climax. Its standalone price of £9.99 is steep, especially when you consider that there's little replay value here, yet its production values exceed those of some full-price games. It lacks variety but delivers quality; it offers plenty to ponder but misses enough to do.

OXM:

Returning to Rapture, at least, is an undiluted pleasure. Set before the events of the original Bioshock, and equipped with Infinite's crowd-friendly engine, Burial at Sea gives you Andrew Ryan's aquatic metropolis at the height of its pomp and decadence. The trick to getting your money's worth is to linger over every inch - listen to every NPC conversation, study every billboard, watch every "In The Know" propaganda reel, drink in every art deco finishing.

CVG:

It's also worth noting that there hasn't really been much innovation in BioShock's gameplay since... well... BioShock. Scrounging and shooting are still the order of the day and however cerebral the plot of Burial At Sea is, one can't help but get the impression that the action feels a little repetitive at times.

But then, if you're reading this, it's likely that you're part of the Cult of Rapture anyway. If that's the case, then rejoice; Burial At Sea is BioShock fan service of the very highest calibre.

(Thanks Sn4ke)

Gametrailers:

Burial at Sea is a worthy return to Rapture, but by the end you’ll wish you could’ve spent more time absorbing the sights and sounds of the city’s unspoiled areas. The grand tourism of the game’s opening versus the constant combat in the rest of the DLC creates a disconnect that makes both halves feel underdeveloped. Hopefully episode two will mend the tear of Burial at Sea’s two disparate parts.

Kotaku:

I'll hold off final judgement until I've played the second part, though for now I'm not sure about the decision to engage Infinite so directly. Infinite's ending was a double-edged narrative sword—it cut sharply and with admirable boldness, but it also severed its connection to all that preceded it. With an ending like that, what's left to say?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just watched 2 video reviews and all i saw was shooting, shooting and MOAR SHOOTING!

Dammit Irrational, this is not what Bioshock is all about, this is not what fans love about this series.

x-Lundz-x

Kinda bummed. I mean I'm still looking forward to playing it regardless, and it will never take away the fact that infinite is my all time favorite game this past generation.

But still 2 hours long is very disappointing.

TheOddOne

I can see this being ODST all over again. I too was surprised and worried about the length in relation to price. I know I will love this regardless because I love BioShock and its setting. Ultimately, It'll be up to you to decide. I look forward to this discussion.
Why do you say such sexy thangs.

*reviews*
I'll wait for people on GAF to say how it is. One of the funny things I find about gaming side is that a lot of people bemoan gaming journalism and reviews, but when the game comes they're something to pay attention to.

And I say comparing this to ODST is a bit premature. ODST had a lot more content than this.

Why do you say such sexy thangs.

Why do I do these things to myself?

I'll wait for people on GAF to say how it is. One of the funny things I find about gaming side is that a lot of people bemoan gaming journalism and reviews, but when the game comes they're something to pay attention to.

And I say comparing this to ODST is a bit premature. ODST had a lot more content than this.

ODST was also (for me) a full 20 pounds, for some 20-30 pounds more then BAS.

ODST was not a fully fledged Halo title, but the point is quantity versus quality.

Managing expectations is important. If this is really an hour long/super brief then that should be something they laid out first, if they wanted to avoid the blowback I mean.
Maybe Irrational are be okay with such blowback?

I thought Infinite was butter over too much bread, so I'm hopeful that a shorter game will benefit from that focus.

I am really looking forward to this. Returning to rapture before the fall and just wandering around and soaking up the atmosphere is really all I could ask for. I know it is a short piece of DLC, and if I had dropped the cash for season pass the experience might have been soured for me. I ordered BI from amazon when they were running a promotion that gave you a $20.00USD credit for ordering other 2K games. I just waited until I could use that credit on Burial at Sea. This is going to be a great week with this and X Rebirth coming out!

Top Bottom