• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware and Tim Schafer on original ideas vs sequels

Bioware and Tim Schafer discussed why sequels blossom and why innovation stagnates in the gaming industry. The following are excerpts from IGN's article ''Gaming's Original Sin'' (link )

1) The economic logic of the gaming industry

For a business watching profits and its bottom line (and every business ultimately must), a lower investment matched with a high chance of payoff -- i.e., low risk -- will always be appealing. Sequels and games based on big franchises come with built-in audiences and creative assets. This means such games are cheaper both to create (developers don't need to start from scratch creatively) and to market. By contrast, an original property is usually a lot of work and a tougher sell -- though if it succeeds, the benefits of completely owning a hot franchise can pay off very well.

2) Bioware's perspective

"Developing new properties while striving to maintain commercial viability is a difficult challenge, and the results of this balancing act are starting to become visible in the video game business right now," comments Ray Muzyka, joint CEO and Co-Executive Producer, along with Greg Zechuk, at BioWare -- a studio which is now focused sharply on original properties...

But though BioWare is in the somewhat rare position of having creative freedom supported by a major publisher (in this case, Microsoft Game Studios), it still faces the particular effort of developing from wholly new ideas. The process of creating a new game setting -- new world, new character designs, new story -- can take up a full year of production time, during which there are few guideposts.

"First off," Muzyka said, "we didn't have the safety net of a rule-set or world manual to fall back on while developing the game, and second, it can be very daunting to be faced with a blank canvas: where do you start? We learned a few things, especially about the impact of world design on the preproduction phase of the project."

3) Tim Schafer's perspective

He also sees the issue in practical terms. "If you had a choice of doing something high risk or low risk, what would you do with your money? That's why I'm not saying [companies] are evil for this, just a little short-sighted. I think if it was my money, I'd be worried about risking it all."

As Tim sees it, there's an understandable tendency for big companies to be conservative with investments. Unfortunately, this also means playing it safe with sequels and diminishing original, often risky, properties. Still, there are big companies, such as Sony or Nintendo, which expressly invest a certain amount in original ideas.

"I think a big company can afford to explore [original ideas] economically, and win a bunch of awards and notoriety and maybe break new ground that will allow them to create a blockbuster version of the same game. That would be good for them and good for everybody."

During his long career at LucasArts, Tim saw the company begin with a specific mandate to create new properties -- "We could not make Star Wars games. George [Lucas] wanted the company to be able to stand on its own" -- which was eventually supported by careful use of big licenses like Star Wars and Indiana Jones. "For a while, it was a really great combination, because you had the original properties which were fun to work on -- both types of games were fun to work on."

But Tim believes LucasArts' eventual financial woes were a result of dropping most of its original properties. Many of the most creative people at the company left, he said, which hurts the quality of games, hurts morale, and ultimately affects sales.

4) The light at the end of the tunnel

Of course, given enough resources and strong licenses, a company can cruise the safe route successfully for a long time. The obvious example is Electronic Arts, which has built a business by leaning on reliable sequels and huge entertainment licenses like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings (though to be fair, EA is also incubating Spore, Will Wright's latest -- and highly original -- project). The company isn't successful because of massive deception -- gamers are buying the titles because they enjoy them. But this may not last, as any franchise eventually becomes fatiguing. This is exactly where Tim Schafer sees hope for originality.

"If everything gets very stagnant in the blockbuster arena, I think that leaves [those publishers] wide open to some cheap game showing up that's super-fun and innovative that outsells all of their games that year. And then everyone will go 'oh, we got too big and bloated and got taken by surprise by that smaller, faster-moving game.'"

If the wide marketing reach and financial conservativeness of today's game industry means sequels and franchise tie-ins are to be expected, then there may be a corrective process which is just as natural: the same thing gets, well, old. The film industry offers a good parallel, as independent studios have challenged stodgy, stale blockbusters -- even at times encouraging huge studios to mimic an indie esthetic. Essentially, audiences aren't necessarily so stupid. There's a market for freshness.

"The people making the product choices are always going to take the lowest possible risk," said BioWare's Greg Zeschuk, "but they are starting to realize they do need to take some risks or else they'll run into significant difficulty as their product line-up becomes stale."

...Are we moving into a permanent quagmire of rehashed ideas? Not so long as gamers are still interested in having fun. As Tim put it: "I think the lameness will be self-correcting."

I think it's pretty even so far. For next-gen that is. (maybe it's because its a system launch, when new IP's have the best chance to break through in the market)

But for PS3, we have big name ($$$-making) sequals.

Gran Turismo
Metal Gear Solid
Devil May Cry
Tekken
Killzone 2 or 3 or whatever this "to be trash" game will be.

...those are the games Sony announced right?

And yet we also have:

I-8
Warhawk (meh, new enough)
Heavenly Sword
Some other game I can't remember

Sequal to Original ratio seems pretty even.

And not too mention one of the most (if not the most) anticipated 360 game is Gears of War, also a new IP.

Rhindle

Those are some good observations. Someone at this year's GDC did a statustical analysis of teh economics of sequels vs. original titles -- it is fairly stunning how much more profitable investing in a sequel is, even for marginally successful franchises.

The good news is that new IPs are much easier to launch at the beginning of a new console cycle. So hope springs anew every five years or so ...

pj

Banned
"The uniquely valuable thing about [an original IP] is that if you can make it successful, you can generate that much more revenue from it and be able to take advantage of it in that many more ways," said Ken Gold, Majesco's Vice President of Marketing. "Then you can do your own sequels, which of course is the goal. You're going to come out with an original property, and you're not going to do that unless you're planning to have a sequel."

Hmm

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
one thing they all seem to overlook: You can have a sequal that is very fresh and innovative... but most of the sequals seem to be of the 'cash cow' minimal updates ilk.. which is what really will kill franchises.

Look at Tom Raider, was once the Playstations biggest franchise, they never fixed any of its problems and now its a joke. Resident Evil was headed down this same path, then they fixed some of the series issues and lo and behold, people likt it again.

StoOgE said:
one thing they all seem to overlook: You can have a sequal that is very fresh and innovative... but most of the sequals seem to be of the 'cash cow' minimal updates ilk.. which is what really will kill franchises.

Look at Tom Raider, was once the Playstations biggest franchise, they never fixed any of its problems and now its a joke. Resident Evil was headed down this same path, then they fixed some of the series issues and lo and behold, people likt it again.

Too true....you choose to either milk it or try to innovate in a new direction. But how far until you piss off your core audience? That's the rub...

pj

Banned
UbiSoftologist said:
Majesco will follow the path of EA...

I'd take Psychonauts 200X over madden 200X any day. Yearly updates with new minds.. IT WOULD NEVER GET OLD BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO LIMITS

SKOPE

StoOgE said:
Resident Evil was headed down this same path, then they fixed some of the series issues and lo and behold, people likt it again.
But it still isn't as popular as it once was. No matter how original a sequel is, you're still pretty much limited to the fanbase of previous games of the series. Fans lose interest over time and there's only so much that can be done to bring them back.

Unless you promote it as something new instead of a nostalgia trip, like Ubisoft did with Prince of Persia.

SKOPE said:
But it still isn't as popular as it once was. No matter how original a sequel is, you're still pretty much limited to the fanbase of previous games of the series. Fans lose interest over time and there's only so much that can be done to bring them back.

Yea, the law of diminishing marginal utility.

pj

Banned
StoOgE said:
two copies of Psychonauts.

psychonauts.jpg

Ironclad

The double fine shop has a deal going on right now. If you spend more than $50 bucks pre-shipping and tax, you will get a DVD with all of the cutscenes from Psychonauts for free. Not bad if you still haven't bought the game or are looking to pick up the soundtrack and a t-shirt or two.

pj

Banned
Ironclad_Ninja said:
The double fine shop has a deal going on right now. If you spend more than $50 bucks pre-shipping and tax, you will get a DVD with all of the cutscenes from Psychonauts for free. Not bad if you still haven't bought the game or are looking to pick up the soundtrack and a t-shirt or two.

Oh yeah, I got that too. Before they even announced the deal, actually.. There was even a hand written thank you message with a smilie face on the order slip. GOD I HOPE THEY DON'T GO OUT OF BUSINESS

Ironclad

Yeah, it would be a shame. They've really gone out of their way to apply that personal touch. Come on people, pick up Psychonauts, you won't regret it!

sammy

$50 can be a lot to ask for when presenting someone with a game they've never played..... or heard of...

We threw down our cash, not for Psychonauts, but for Tim --- He's the beloved franchise/800lbsGorilla here --- Who here took an un-educated glimps of that shiny green box on the stoor-shelf and put in their cash? - They're the real heroes.

Rorschach

I just bought some stuff from the DF shop. Good times. I still haven't finished psychonauts since that
Meat circus level
pissed me off. I'll get back on that tomorrow! Awesome game in spite of the annoyingness of that level. :p

pj

Banned
Rorschach said:
I just bought some stuff from the DF shop. Good times. I still haven't finished psychonauts since that
Meat circus level
pissed me off. I'll get back on that tomorrow! Awesome game in spite of the annoyingness of that level. :p

If you have trouble with the knife throwing dude, USE YOUR SHIELD!

NotMSRP

Obvious from a consumer point of view: If a game is $49.99, a consumer is more likely to buy it if he or she is familiar with it. Lower the price tag, the greater the chance of a risk purchase.

Rorschach

pj325is said:
If you have trouble with the knife throwing dude, USE YOUR SHIELD!
No, it was more with the annoyingness of the level. I had to mute it to even consider replaying it. :lol What put me over the top was that I kept messing up and had to sit through all the cutscenes and wait for his fatass to pick up the rabbit...rinse, repeat...and then I get to the top, but I accidentally killed him trying to get those guys off him. -_-

NotMSRP said:
Obvious from a consumer point of view: If a game is $49.99, a consumer is more likely to buy it if he or she is familiar with it. Lower the price tag, the greater the chance of a risk purchase.

But then there are those mooks that think a bargain priced game is automatically crap...no matter how many NFL2K/Katamari's come out. All they think of is the Narc's.

Sometimes there is no winning... =(

pj

Banned
Rorschach said:
No, it was more with the annoyingness of the level. I had to mute it to even consider replaying it. :lol What put me over the top was that I kept messing up and had to sit through all the cutscenes and wait for his fatass to pick up the rabbit...rinse, repeat...and then I get to the top, but I accidentally killed him trying to get those guys off him. -_-

Yeah that is definately the low point in the game. "OW MY FACE"

But it only took me a couple tries to beat, probably because I am the awesomest gamer ever..

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
C- Warrior said:
I think it's pretty even so far....

But for PS3, we have big name ($$$-making) sequals.

Gran Turismo
Metal Gear Solid
Devil May Cry
Tekken
Killzone 2 or 3 or whatever this "to be trash" game will be.

...those are the games Sony announced right?

And yet we also have:

I-8
Warhawk (meh, new enough)
Heavenly Sword

I think the fact that you named one sequel as an original IP along with no names for the other three is pretty telling and indicative of why there aren't more.

Ranger X

NotMSRP said:

Each time we speak here on that subject, nobody speaks about renting.
For 5$ you can try a game and devellop your curiosity in gaming. After that people wouldn't be reluctant to buy a 49$ game.

RENT BEFORE BUYING IF YOU'RE NOT CONVINCED. is that hard to do?

Top Bottom