• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade of Darkness now available for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, and Xbox One

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Hack-and-slash action game Blade of Darkness is now available for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 via PlayStation Store, and Xbox Series and Xbox One via Microsoft Store for $14.99, publisher SNEG announced.

Blade of Darkness first launched for PC on February 21, 2001, followed by Switch via Nintendo eShop on November 24, 2022. The PC version is also available via Steam and GOG.

Here is an overview of the game, via its store pages:

About
A grim new threat looms over The Central Kingdoms. The borders protected by the fierce King’s Knights are no longer secure. The fearsome orc clans, more numerous than ever, lurk on all roads. The proud nomadic peoples of the steppes are on the alert, for strange beasts prowl the darkness. Not even the stout dwarves, hidden in their underground palaces, seem safe from threat – from the unknown tunnels of its mines, a foul army of hideous creatures advances inexorably.
Chaos seizes the World. Only the memory of the oldest recalls the exploits of a hero and a few warriors, who in other times fought against the forces of Chaos. Ianna, the mother of all living beings, gave the hero a powerful sword to enter the abyss and defeat evil. But that happened a long time ago. A new hero is needed, a chosen one who is worthy to wield the Sword and destroy the enemy… this time forever.

Key Features
  • Four Playable Characters – Pick your Champion of Ianna—Tukaram, the Barbarian; Naglfar, the Dwarf; Sargon, the Knight; or Zoe, the Amazon—each with unique strengths, weaknesses, and fighting skills, as you hack ‘n slash your way through a blood-drenched quest to save the world from the forces of Chaos.
  • Bloody and Gory Combat – Learn devastating combo attacks and use them to slice your opponents into pieces. Hack off your foes’ limbs, then use them as weapons!
  • A Detailed and Dark Fantasy World – Battle orcs, trolls, golems, demons, skeletons, and scores of malevolent enemy creatures as you explore treacherous tombs, frozen fortresses, demon spires, deserts, temples, and palaces.
  • Interactive Environments – Destroy in-game objects with fire or your fists as you solve puzzles and disarm traps that combine physics, hydraulic systems, and lethal traps!
  • Re-Release of a True Genre-Defining Game – We are happy to bring Blade of Darkness back to life, an enduring classic that, at the time of its release, inspired many games in the action-adventure genre through its approach to combat.

The new update shows a green tick for Steam Deck but it bombs out for me. The Steam discussion page is littered with people raising issues. Steam discussion pages generally have terrible signal to noise ratio, but still, looks like it might need some more attention as it is right now.

Kadve

No relation? Thought it was about that game.

Severance_-_Blade_of_Darkness_Coverart.png

H4ze

Great game, recently played the switch port and it still holds up, if you know what you are getting yourself into before.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I got it on Switch. It's kind of fun lol. But I couldn't get that far. Just getting through that tutorial with the controls was an adventure.

I saw this on the XBOX store last night and thought it looked kind of interesting. Then I saw some ratings and heard it was actually a pretty good game?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The new update shows a green tick for Steam Deck but it bombs out for me. The Steam discussion page is littered with people raising issues. Steam discussion pages generally have terrible signal to noise ratio, but still, looks like it might need some more attention as it is right now.
Ran this on steam deck no problems last year.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Blade of Darkness is a re-release of the classic fantasy action-adventure title in HD. The world plunges into chaos and the world needs a new champion. Play as four different characters each with unique strengths, weaknesses, and fighting skills, as you hack ‘n’ slash your way through a blood-drenched quest to save the world from the forces of Chaos. Learn devastating combo attacks and use them to slice your opponents into pieces. Blade of Darkness is available now for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Interesting. The pc version got some crazy controls and is a bit buggy. Maybe they touched it up a bit for consoles.

edit: 20th anniversary.... dear god... I played this game new as a teen...
edit2: physical release probably not ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom