• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned: Hella Remastered launches in 2024 for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC

Draugoth

Gold Member
SotD-Remastered_03-21-24-1024x576.jpg

Shadows of the Damned: Hella Remastered will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC via Steam in 2024, developer Grasshopper Manufacture announced. Wishlisting is available now via PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, and Steam.

Attendees of PAX East 2024, which runs from today until March 24 in Boston, Massachusetts, will be able to go hands-on with the first playable demo of Shadows of the Damned: Hella Remastered at the NetEase Games booth.

Here is an overview of the game, via its store pages:

Source

Ribi

Why are Japanese games from the PS3 era getting remasters more exciting than new games releasing. First El Shaddai now this.
No MTX, nostalgia, and once you play it you'll hate it because it's a broken mess but for now you can dream that it's as good as you remember

YuLY

Finally they say something about it again. Remaster is best, they cant woke-ify it. I mean they technically can, but they probably wont bother for a remaster. Waited for this to come to PC for a long time.

FeralEcho

No MTX, nostalgia, and once you play it you'll hate it because it's a broken mess but for now you can dream that it's as good as you remember
I played it rather recently on gamepass,like 2 years ago,right before it was delisted and it held up really well, sure it's got that known janky feel from that era but it's got heart and it's unique in aesthetic and let's be honest here the janky feel is part of why we do love that generation of gaming 😂 I certainly prefer that than the gaas garbage filled with mtx that we get nowadays.

Reactions: Isa

Mr Hyde

Platinumed it on PS3 but found the game rather overrated. Suda, Shinji Mikami and Akira Yamaoka should provide a better game than this. Will buy it and platinum it again. It does have some fun gameplay and the story is so absurd and over the top it makes for a fun ride.

F31 Leopard

Nice! Definitely picking up for Switch. Hopefully they add New Game+ or at least chapter select to replay levels this time.

Astral Dog

Platinumed it on PS3 but found the game rather overrated. Suda, Shinji Mikami and Akira Yamaoka should provide a better game than this. Will buy it and platinum it again. It does have some fun gameplay and the story is so absurd and over the top it makes for a fun ride.
Heard the development story for this game,and seems like EA was always trying to mess up every idea they had,one way or another it was a big publisher mess.

they probably did the best they could at the time

Last edited:

Bridges

Why are Japanese games from the PS3 era getting remasters more exciting than new games releasing. First El Shaddai now this.
Damn why is El Shaddai only rereleased on Steam/Switch/Luna? We need PS5/Xbox Series ports yesterday. It's one of the all-time greats in my eyes. Damn what a good fucking game.

On topic, I tried Shadows of the Damned through back compat awhile back and couldn't get into it. I might give it another shot but unless there are some meaningful improvements I'd just to back to the original since I already own it and it plays on Series X.

Reactions: Isa

kiphalfton

Hard pass for me, still own it for PS3.

I don't hate the game but I also thought it was incredibly mediocre considering all the talent attached to it. Suda51 is sus to me too. I'm not a prude but I don't care for his sexualized vibe/writing. Just comes off as cruel and cringe.

Considering there was involvement from Shinji Mikami, I expected a whole heck of a lot more.

Wasn't bad, but wasnt great. Very solid 7/10.

Vandole

The presentation of the game - its characters, setting, script, etc. almost convinced me that it was a good game. But halfway through it they started to recycle every idea that they already used in the first half and at that point it became a chore to play through. That said, it is impressive. Just how far attitude can take you it.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
The presentation of the game - its characters, setting, script, etc. almost convinced me that it was a good game. But halfway through it they started to recycle every idea that they already used in the first half and at that point it became a chore to play through. That said, it is impressive. Just how far attitude can take you it.

This.
I liked it for what it was but, a good game it is not :
- wonky shooting mechanics
- terribad camera
- repetitive enemies
- repetitive scenarios
- Absolutely mediocre graphics (UE3)
- mediocre shooting feeling

The positives were Yamaoka's OST, the characters and the general "attitude" the game had thanks to the usual Suda51 fuckery.
A very "pulp" game that could have been so much more if it wasn't for EA's meddling.

Finished it on a ps3 ages ago, finished it again on an XSX via BC 2 years ago which didn't change my opinion that much, it's still janky and just not very good, don't know how a remaster could fix its problems.

You can definitely have some fun with it but IMO, it's a 5.5-6/10 game through and through.

Cheers

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Added to wish list. Depending on release date could be a day one for me.

Mr Hyde

Heard the development story for this game,and seems like EA was always trying to mess up every idea they had,one way or another it was a big publisher mess.

they probably did the best they could at the time

Didn't know about this. Explains the middling quality of the game. Typical EA suits to ruin a potentially great game. Japanese game designers shouldn't collaborate with western publishers.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I remember enjoying the game, but can't really recall anything specific other than the turret sections where the dude yells "TASTE MY BIG BONER" or something. Action games - Japanese ones in particular - really shit the bed during the 360 era, but maybe having it on a system that isn't running it at a shitty resolution at a sub-30 frame rate will help. I'm tentatively interested.

Top Bottom