• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard bans pro Hearthstone player a year for his support of Hong Kong protesters

cormack12

Gold Member
This is crazy. So Blizzard don't want to support political messaging in their products and streams because it sows division and causes conflicts between players - who ultimately should just be able to enjoy the game. Then when someone does shoehorn a political message across the globe they lose their shit, ban them and remove all their prize money.

www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2019/01/08/yes-overwatch-making-both-soldier-76-and-tracer-gay-is-a-big-deal

And they say actual gaming fans are disgusting when we say exactly the same thing after every reveal of IdPol bullshit.....funny when the shoe is on the other foot isn't it?

But what would they know? Clearly they are just pure racist, xenophobic devs who care nothing for human rights. I'm sure if Blitzchung was a straight, white male he would have kept his prize money. They only target the minorities etc. etc. Let is start several high profile social media campaigns and get 'gaming sites' to cover this disgrace!!

/sarcasm

This is the bed they've made for themselves. Enjoy the shitshow Blizzard.

Senhua

LOL at this "western site". Do Gaf support rebel now as long as they against the one who have a different ideology from you guys?
Do you all watch how all that "protester" destroying all public facility without repercussion at all?
That guys is criminal at best and terrorist at worst and everyone who publicly support that kind of behaviour is deserve the ban.
Do not like how your local government operate? go into politics or GTFO to another, not like this.
Democracy , freedom and free speech my ass
43525db6-9e45-11e9-baa5-dd214ed0de8f_image_hires_003205.jpg

Last edited:

rubenburgt

The Mei statue wasn't removed just because of the protests.

Other statues, such as the Lucio statue, and some WOW statues are alps missing. They recently swapped to a different store and a lot of items are missing, even things like purses and umbrellas.

Fuz

Banned
Last edited:
Wonder how some people will feel when they find out that their lord and savior Disney is full on pro-Chinese government just for the money. And yes, I am loving how people are waking up to how fucked up global corporations are. Hypocritical to the Nth degree about their social virtues so long as it doesn't hurt their stock value and growth. Bring on some more. Remember when they pander in the western nations, they are totally okay turning a blind eye to reeducation camps in china provided they can remain in that market.

Last edited:

Corrik

Y'know, except for the fact that they were perfectly fine when Americans very recently were using them as a platform to openly talk about Hong Kong and China, leading another team to forfeit a match and quit the season because of the sheer hypocrisy (that thing that happened in the past day or two? That thing? Remember?).

Not to mention Number 3 where Blizzard openly stated they wanted to defend the "pride of China".

This is an open and shut case, I am not sure why you are so desperate to make it something it isn't.
The College Hearthstone competition didn't have that rule in it, I believe.

Sterling88

LOL at this "western site". Do Gaf support rebel now as long as they against the one who have a different ideology from you guys?
Do you all watch how all that "protester" destroying all public facility without repercussion at all?
That guys is criminal at best and terrorist at worst and everyone who publicly support that kind of behaviour is deserve the ban.
Do not like how your local government operate? go into politics or GTFO to another, not like this.
How many yuan did Winnie the Pooh pay you for that?

Lol at you failing to realize how desperate these people are to be rid of such a tyrannical nation. Thanks to their government from the one child policy there are 43million more men than there are women. Doesn't that sound nice for the male population? You take your freedom for granted.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Lol at you failing to realize how desperate these people are to be rid of such a tyrannical nation. Thanks to their government from the one child policy there are 43million more men than there are women. Doesn't that sound nice for the male population? You take your freedom for granted.

Not to mention tens of millions of dead baby girls piled at the bottom of the well.

Tumle

Wonder how some people will feel when they find out that their lord and savior Disney is full on pro-Chinese government just for the money. And yes, I am loving how people are waking up to how fucked up global corporations are. Hypocritical to the Nth degree about their social virtues so long as it doesn't hurt their stock value and growth. Bring on some more. Remember when they pander in the western nations, they are totally okay turning a blind eye to reeducation camps in china provided they can remain in that market.
Remember back in 2008 when the markets crashed and the Wall Street protests where going after the 1%?
Somehow they managed to turn what should have been a class war, into a culture war, just because people are narcissistic and can’t see outside there own problems. Problems that actually would be solved if they could just stop pointing a finger at each other and point there finger at the problem..

Ar¢tos

I fear it might be too late to stop China.
Here in Portugal they have invested 9 billion Euros, and Portugal is only number 5 in the rank of EU countries they are slowly "buying". With the golden visa program they have also been buying properties non-stop and weirdly, they do nothing with them. I'm not sure if they buy them just for the visa, or if there is a plan for them in the future (when the country gets renamed to China Summer Camp).

Remember back in 2008 when the markets crashed and the Wall Street protests where going after the 1%?
Somehow they managed to turn what should have been a class war, into a culture war, just because people are narcissistic and can’t see outside there own problems. Problems that actually would be solved if they could just stop pointing a finger at each other and point there finger at the problem..

Divide and conquer. Separate the lower classes into demagraphics and have them believe each other are solely responsible for their problems and issues. Keep them fighting. All the while, play on the tribal and superficial loyalities of corporate branding. Make some hollow PR moves to show they are the good ones.

Last edited:

FMXVII

To be fair... that's also their cultural religion/mysticism which caused that... coupled with the one child policy.

...daddy's gotta make it into the afterlife, after all.

And you cannot let great great great grandfather get canceled.

FMXVII

"Prizing" and the spaced ellipses are red flags for me. I'd say that a Chinese or other east-Asian language speaker definitely had a hand in that text. Who knows to what extent though.

Of course we do.

"Completely and utterly", is the extent.

No native speaker of English is going to make errors like that.

Not even Asian scripted auto-correct would flub that hard.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
This is crazy. So Blizzard don't want to support political messaging in their products and streams because it sows division and causes conflicts between players - who ultimately should just be able to enjoy the game. Then when someone does shoehorn a political message across the globe they lose their shit, ban them and remove all their prize money.

www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2019/01/08/yes-overwatch-making-both-soldier-76-and-tracer-gay-is-a-big-deal

And they say actual gaming fans are disgusting when we say exactly the same thing after every reveal of IdPol bullshit.....funny when the shoe is on the other foot isn't it?

But what would they know? Clearly they are just pure racist, xenophobic devs who care nothing for human rights. I'm sure if Blitzchung was a straight, white male he would have kept his prize money. They only target the minorities etc. etc. Let is start several high profile social media campaigns and get 'gaming sites' to cover this disgrace!!

/sarcasm

This is the bed they've made for themselves. Enjoy the shitshow Blizzard.

Blizzard think they are fifa, uefa or the Olympic committee or something

Of course we do.

"Completely and utterly", is the extent.

Ah, yes.
"完全"
"Completely"

But if badly translated, you get "completely and utterly", which is just the two halfs of the term translated separately. It is basically Chinese and ONLY Chinese.

eot

Banned

I have to teach undergrads and the depth of human incompetence I witness has not ceased to surprise me. But yeah, I doubt Blizzard's PR department would make mistakes like that (because their CEO didn't write that). As Riker put it:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

STFU, nobody cares about your Social Credit farming.

The College Hearthstone competition didn't have that rule in it, I believe.

8.1 Sportsmanship and Professionalism. All Participants are required to act in a respectful sportsmanlike manner at all times and abide by the player Code of Conduct, as posted on the Compete website and in the Official Rules.

Code of Conduct:

"When participating in communication of any kind (chat, voice communication, group finder), you are responsible for how you express yourself. You may not use language that could be offensive or vulgar to others.

Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language. Threatening or harassing another player is always unacceptable, regardless of language used. Violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/42673"

The College team was in violation of the same rules Blizzard said blitz was, its just worded differently. I guess the pride and dignity of China only matters when the bottom line isn't taking a hit.

Last edited:
Here in Portugal they have invested 9 billion Euros, and Portugal is only number 5 in the rank of EU countries they are slowly "buying". With the golden visa program they have also been buying properties non-stop and weirdly, they do nothing with them. I'm not sure if they buy them just for the visa, or if there is a plan for them in the future (when the country gets renamed to China Summer Camp).

When I was in China our guide explained it - they cannot own property in China and party can take everything in an instant so it's much safer to buy property outside of China.

You should at least get a proof reader who is a native English speaker before you post your propaganda.

ExpandKong

Banned

Does your family get an extra cabbage ration when you make a post like this?

No one cares what you have to say, boot licker! Also.... Look at this photograph

oXlVAFX.jpg

Last edited:

Ownage

Better to conquer a country through land purchase and acquisition than bullets. If the host country decides to seize the foreign owned lands, guess who looks like a bigot?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
its kind of an amazing time right now. video games are almost the nexus of a cultural conversation involving global human rights. this is pretty cool. kind of interesting how this wouldn't happen with movies really, you don't have Twitch or streamers for movies, they can just silence whoever speaks out w impunity. this is an area where games are at the forefront of human rights.

still, i don't see much changing. some boycotts that don't change anything and some casual racism. tbh i don't see the anti-China stuff lasting long, once the winter shopping season comes up, we will likely not see many stories on China from our own consumer media.

that's the thing, we censor things too. people openly celebrate "deplatforming" as if it's a tool to fight against extremism. this is the very tactic they use in China. we are not so different.

Corrik

The College team was in violation of the same rules Blizzard said blitz was, its just worded differently. I guess the pride and dignity of China only matters when the bottom line isn't taking a hit.
It's worded very differently to the point of meaning something entirely different if you actually comprehended it.

Last edited:
The United States was founded and birthed from rebellion, so...

Last edited:

Hargate

Hey check this letter from j Allen back in February. Notice a difference to the supposed response from j Allen.

It has the same ellipsis start, but huh no spaces.

Hmm..

Despera

Banned
Hu Jin tao was the better leader. He was opening China up a lot more when I first got there in 2010 they were much less censored than when I left this January. I don't think I'll ever go back except to visit old friends. Never to live and contribute to their economy. Xi's just a little bitch.
For some reason I got my phones and laptops quickly searched through last time I went there a couple of months ago.

Imagine if I had this thread open and the first thing greeting the officer was that big ass winnie the pooh image.

Hi Xi Jing Ping welcome to Neogaf Mr President

It's worded very differently to the point of meaning something entirely different if you actually comprehended it.

Please do explain, i doubt i'm the only inquiring mind. How does what the College team said fit in one set of rules but not the other?

Just so were clear, i'm of the mindset he got banned for saying something the Chinese found offensive. Chinese response:

EGpnITGUUAAV2RM.jpg

Very angered? We will respect and defend the pride of our country? This goes beyond not wanting a political statement on the platform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom