• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard bans pro Hearthstone player a year for his support of Hong Kong protesters

Catphish

While I do think that Blizzard is being shitty and over-reactive here, blitzchung should have read the terms, and should have thought this through.

Tweets and one-liners in social media don't change shit. The tide in HK isn't going to turn because some pro-gamer transmitted a sentence. Save your fucking keystrokes and quit fucking your lives up over shit that doesn't matter.

mcz117chief

While I agree that putting politics into video game interviews is pretty odd and jarring I judge things individually on a case by case basis. Blitzchung is in a city literally besieged by communist mob "police" and these people are fighting for their lives, so in this case I would absolutely let it slide. This is in no way even comparable to "Orange man bad" rhetoric. These people are in dire situation and I fully support them. Blizzard either should have sent him a warning (at worst) or just be quiet about it, but they took the lowest road possible. For shame.

mortal

Gold Member
Vote with your wallet folks.

If you don't like this in anyway way and it goes against your principles, then don't go preordering their next big shiny game, and forget that they're profit seeking first and human rights second.

It's a company not a charity. As others have already stated, they aren't your friends., don't get it twisted.

mcz117chief

If you don't like this in anyway way and it goes against your principles, then don't go preordering their next big shiny game, and forget that they're profit seeking first and human rights second.

It's a company not a charity. As others have already stated, they aren't your friends., don't get it twisted.
They COULD be our friends. They have no obligation to act like cunts towards us. Maybe their investors told them to treat us like garbage but to that I say "get better investors" or better yet "fuck Chinese investors". There are plenty of companies that treat their customers with respect and dignity.

decisions

Good on this guy for voicing his position on an important cause related to democracy, and fuck Blizzard. This is actually one of the most disturbing actions I've seen a video game company take that makes me not want to buy their products. I rarely play Blizzard games anyway so I'll be taking that frequency down to zero until something changes on this front.

Tygeezy

If they have a game that I have interest in playing then I will purchase it.. End of transaction. Boycotting companies is something reee era does.

mortal

Gold Member
They COULD be our friends. They have no obligation to act like cunts towards us. Maybe their investors told them to treat us like garbage but to that I say "get better investors" or better yet "fuck Chinese investors". There are plenty of companies that treat their customers with respect and dignity.
And there are companies that treat their customer and even their own employees like shit. I understand what you mean, but my point is that their number one priority is to generate revenue. Everything else is either secondary or is supplementary to that priority. If people want to send them a message in a language they'll immediately recognize and acknowledge, it's finical.

MMaRsu

Banned
While I do think that Blizzard is being shitty and over-reactive here, blitzchung should have read the terms, and should have thought this through.

Tweets and one-liners in social media don't change shit. The tide in HK isn't going to turn because some pro-gamer transmitted a sentence. Save your fucking keystrokes and quit fucking your lives up over shit that doesn't matter.

How wrong you are. Look at how this has blown up. People who didnt have any idea about the situation in China are now getting informed.

If enough people are able to hurt Blizzards bottom line they will notice. And as far as I've seen, a lot of people are either cancelling their entire account or uninstalling it.

He didnt care about the rules, he cares about freedom and basic human rights.

Fuck China

Catphish

How wrong you are. Look at how this has blown up. People who didnt have any idea about the situation in China are now getting informed.

If enough people are able to hurt Blizzards bottom line they will notice. And as far as I've seen, a lot of people are either cancelling their entire account or uninstalling it.

He didnt care about the rules, he cares about freedom and basic human rights.

Fuck China
It's blown up? I'll be happy to eat crow when something of substance occurs but, I'm pretty confident, nothing will.

FMXVII

China has infiltrated all aspects of the western world. That's why so many game companies are censoring and banning so many things. Because the Chinese want them to. I bet Sony's whole censorship bullshit is all because they want to sell more games in China and want to please the cunt communists. You see the influence of China on campuses etc. corporations etc. in the west. China has been at it for a long long time. Fuck China and fuck all communists

They're not really Communists.

They're a Facist Oligarchy.

But the point still stands.

Fuck China, and fuck all Oligarchies

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Boy California based companies seem to love bending over for China. Odd since you would think such a progressive liberal place would have serious issues with supporting such a regime. But it reveals that all the “human rights” talk is bullshit. They only care about money.

It would be interesting to list all the companies considered liberal who farm out labor to the Far East. Hypocrites all of them

Last edited:

FMXVII

So this is also not "real" communism

Of course it isn't.

It is the shitty reality of the Oligarchic State, writ the size of China.

The point standing being "Fuck China" re: fuck the Chinese Oligarchy.

Point standing,
Death Stranding,
Needs less Chvrches,
And less churches,
Less PC CCP appeasement,
Kurwa grand standing,
Hollow Gs for yuan benefit

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
If they have a game that I have interest in playing then I will purchase it.. End of transaction. Boycotting companies is something reee era does.
And more power to you, that is my entire point. You as a consumer have purchasing power in the free market. When did choosing to make individual purchasing decisions become a "reee" thing? What does that even mean?

I'm not dissuading people from voicing criticisms and grievances to companies, as in some cases it leads to change or improvement (squeaky wheel etc).
In the cases where a company is continuously releasing and promoting compromised and subpar product; or have questionable policies and motives, stop letting them profit from you. Buy their games used, don't buy their DLC, don't preorder their $80-$100+ collector editions. In a free market people have that choice, and that's your personal choice to make.

More often I'm hearing and reading about how companies like EA and Bethesda constantly keep fucking over their consumers, but that's not a problem I have because I don't buy their games. I keep it simple.

The Alien

Banned
Blizzard = Prostitue

Yep...love American companies censoring our views for a Chinese standard.

This will only get worse as more companies try to please their new Chinese masters...
All to chase a buck.

Apple has already removed Hong Kong flags in Asian markets. Van's removed a protest sneaker that supported HK.

FMXVII

Blizzard = Prostitue

Yep...love American companies censoring our views for a Chinese standard.

This will only get worse as more companies try to please their new Chinese masters...
All to chase a buck.

Apple has already removed Hong Kong flags in Asian markets. Van's removed a protest sneaker that supported HK.

Maybe we can trick Trump into Tweeting something that will piss off Winnie Xi Poo enough that our freedoms will be accidentally preserved?

Virex

Banned
Of course it isn't.

It is the shitty reality of the Oligarchic State, writ the size of China.

The point standing being "Fuck China" re: fuck the Chinese Oligarchy.

Point standing,
Death Stranding,
Needs less Chvrches,
And less churches,
Less PC CCP appeasement,
Kurwa grand standing,
Hollow Gs for yuan benefit
Can you write any of this in English?

Paasei

All hearthstone pro's should just stop playing now to show their support.

People are always picking the minorities in discussions these days, except when it's about China. Well fuck you Blizzard and China. You don't seem to care about human rights, unless there's money to be earned.

Disgusting

Stolen from Reddit

djbcMTp.jpg

What terms did the casters break? This is good ole fashioned Chinese censorship, not somebody breaking competition rules.

Its obvious China has Blizzard bent over the conference table. blitz simply struck a nerv that Hong Kong wont do the same.

Tygeezy

And more power to you, that is my entire point. You as a consumer have purchasing power in the free market. When did choosing to make individual purchasing decisions become a "reee" thing? What does that even mean?

I'm not dissuading people from voicing criticisms and grievances to companies, as in some cases it leads to change or improvement (squeaky wheel etc).
In the cases where a company is continuously releasing and promoting compromised and subpar product; or have questionable policies and motives, stop letting them profit from you. Buy their games used, don't buy their DLC, don't preorder their $80-$100+ collector editions. In a free market people have that choice, and that's your personal choice to make.

More often I'm hearing and reading about how companies like EA and Bethesda constantly keep fucking over their consumers, but that's not a problem I have because I don't buy their games. I keep it simple.
Maybe im mistaken, but I read your comment to just avoid buying their games altogether. Even if you want to play their games just suck it up and not buy their games. I'm not going to stop buying games I enjoy because I disagree with what companies have or haven't done in regards to political causes. Ree frequently boycotts games because of what companies do, and that's just not something i'm interested in doing. If the game is good, I will buy it. If it isn't then I won't. The free market takes care of itself and I am voting with my wallet in that case.

mcz117chief

And there are companies that treat their customer and even their own employees like shit. I understand what you mean, but my point is that their number one priority is to generate revenue. Everything else is either secondary or is supplementary to that priority. If people want to send them a message in a language they'll immediately recognize and acknowledge, it's finical.
Right. All I'm saying is that there are companies who value things besides money, like customer loyalty, ethics, etc.

mortal

Gold Member
Maybe im mistaken, but I read your comment to just avoid buying their games altogether. Even if you want to play their games just suck it up and not buy their games. I'm not going to stop buying games I enjoy because I disagree with what companies have or haven't done in regards to political causes. Ree frequently boycotts games because of what companies do, and that's just not something i'm interested in doing. If the game is good, I will buy it. If it isn't then I won't. The free market takes care of itself and I am voting with my wallet in that case.
Come on, who gives a fuck about what Reee is doing, this isn't about them. I'm talking about making conscious purchasing decisions as a consumer in a free market, regardless of your motivations.

Right. All I'm saying is that there are companies who value things besides money, like customer loyalty, ethics, etc.
Sure, if they're non-profit things like ethics might be a priority. If it's a business, they don't value things besides money; they value those things so long as those values ensure growth and help generate revenue.

Last edited:

FMXVII

Come on, who gives fuck about what Reee is doing, this isn't about them. I'm talking about making conscious purchasing decisions as a consumer in a free market, regardless of your motivations.

Sure, if they're non-profit things like ethics might be a priority. If it's a business, they don't value things besides money; they value those things so long as those values ensure growth and help generate revenue.

You see, while I agre with most of what you say, I just can't agree with this sentiment.

Not all companies are purely profit driven.

A LOT, in fact most old school small businesses were driven by a love or at the very least a passion, for what they make and/or do.

It is CORPORATIONS, that are the cocksuckers who hold the negative value of profit before anything and everything else.

Corporations suck.

Both as people, and as businesses.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
You see, while I agre with most of what you say, I just can't agree with this sentiment.

Not all companies are purely profit driven.

A LOT, in fact most old school small businesses were driven by a love or at the very least a passion, for what they make and/or do.

It is CORPORATIONS, that are the cocksuckers who hold the negative value of profit before anything and everything else.

Corporations suck.

Both as people, and as businesses.
I get all of that and empathize, believe me I do.

I'm talking in the most pragmatic sense. If a company is in the business of selling a product or service, the main priority of that company is to generate revenue. The people running it can be the most ethical people in the world (which can be wonderful for consumers and employees), but if they're not making money at the end o f the day it will not sustain or be able to compete.

I'm not saying all of them are purely profit seeking, I'm saying it's the main priority. It's why despite being disappointed by Blizzard in this case, I'm not surprised by their stance if I'm being honest.
They made that decision based on the possible finacial loss they would suffer in the Chinese market. At which point as a consumer I have the choice to continue financially supporting them or not.

Last edited:

Aretak

Exactly.

d1farjmg.gif

Just pick up the can.

Top Bottom