• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Trump, Russia, and Bayrock

KingV

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-06-21/trump-russia-and-those-shadowy-sater-deals-at-bayrock
But the Justice Department inquiry led by Mueller now has added flavors. The Post noted that the investigation also includes "suspicious financial activity" involving "Russian operatives." The New York Times was more specific in its account, saying that Mueller is looking at whether Trump associates laundered financial payoffs from Russian officials by channeling them through offshore account

I don't believe this is "new news" but has a lot of background on Felix Sater and his ties to Trump, Russia, and organized crime

Read this earlier. Very good reporting by Bloomberg.

Im sure Mueller will eventually be looking at Sater, and his role in Bayrock/Trumps partnership.

During the years that Bayrock and Trump did deals together, the company was also a bridge between murky European funding and a number of projects in the U.S. to which the president once leant his name in exchange for handsome fees. Icelandic banks that dealt with Bayrock, for example, were easy marks for money launderers and foreign influence, according to interviews with government investigators, legislators, and others in Reykjavik, Brussels, Paris and London. Trump testified under oath in a 2007 deposition that Bayrock brought Russian investors to his Trump Tower office to discuss deals in Moscow, and said he was pondering investing there.
One of Bayrock's principals was a career criminal named Felix Sater who had ties to Russian and American organized crime groups. Before linking up with the company and with Trump, he had worked as a mob informant for the U.S. government, fled to Moscow to avoid criminal charges while boasting of his KGB and Kremlin contacts there, and had gone to prison for slashing apart another man’s face with a broken cocktail glass.

Sater made the front page of the New York Times in February for his role in a failed effort — along with Trump’s personal attorney, Michael Cohen — to lobby former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn on a Ukrainian peace proposal.

Prepare to be shocked.
Yep. The Republicans will only be more emboldened to ignore Trump's issues after the special election victories yesterday. Even when the investigation is over and finds evidence of criminal wrongdoing they'll figure out some way to handwave it with the full support of their constituents.

Just more fuel for the fire. If Trump makes it through July I will be shocked.

It's a bit upsetting you think it's even possible for him to be removed within 39 days. It's a frightening dis-connect that I think shows enough people don't understand the process and how long it takes.

Yep. The Republicans will only be more emboldened to ignore Trump's issues after the special election victories yesterday. Even when the investigation is over and finds evidence of criminal wrongdoing they'll figure out some way to handwave it with the full support of their constituents.

The House JUST shot down the bill to place sanctions on Russia as well. They're in this shit lock, stock, and barrel.

UberTag

The House JUST shot down the bill to place sanctions on Russia as well. They're in this shit lock, stock, and barrel.
Your country is now officially Russia Jr.
Voters continue to drop the ball to vote corrupt Republicans out of office at every opportunity.
Seems to me this is the kind of leadership you both want and deserve. There just isn't enough resistance out there from the folks that matter.
At least the Washington Post and New York Times continue to fight the good fight. Nice to see Bloomberg stepping up as well.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

This case takes a lot of time to build and unless Trump starts eating his own shit on live TV or he actually resigns (hah!) then I see him with us till 2018.

lol

Barring a ridiculously mammoth controversy with Trump's literal fingerprints on the gun that lit the fire which caused the smoke, he's making it to the mid-terms at the very least. These things take a long time.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Great piece. Really shows trump's character:

"Two days after the Times story ran, Trump sat for a deposition with my attorneys as part of the libel lawsuit he had filed against me for “TrumpNation.” They asked him whether he planned to sever his relationship with Sater because of Sater's organized crime ties. Trump said he hadn't made up his mind.

"Have you previously associated with people you knew were members of organized crime?" one of my lawyers asked.

"No, I haven't," Trump responded. "And it's hard to overly blame Bayrock. Things like that can happen. But I want to see what action Bayrock takes before I make a decision." (In fact, Trump had partnered in the past in Atlantic City's real-estate business with men he knew were mobbed up.)"

Usobuko

Banned
Your country is now officially Russia Jr.
Voters continue to drop the ball to vote corrupt Republicans out of office at every opportunity.
Seems to me this is the kind of leadership you both want and deserve.

Rip, America had a good run.

Top Bottom