• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Exorcist (Season 2) anime/tv |OT| Satan was a family man and did nothing wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

FfJ16OE.jpg

Kyoto Impure King Arc

General Info:
Episodes: 12
Airs: Jan 7, 2017 to ?
Broadcast: Saturdays at 01:55 (JST)
Internet Streaming: Crunchyroll starting: Friday, January 6 at 10:30AM (PST)
Daisuki
Licensors: Aniplex of America
Studios: A-1 Pictures
Source: Manga
Genres: Action, Demons, Supernatural, Fantasy, Shounen

Staff:
Director: Koichi Hatsumi
Series Composition: Toshiya Ono
Music:
Hiroyuki Sawano
Kohta Yamamoto
Original creator: Kazue Katō
Character Design: Keigo Sasaki

Voice Cast:
Jun Fukuyama as Yukio Okumura
Kana Hanazawa as Shiemi Moriyama
Kazuya Nakai as Ryūji Suguro
Nobuhiko Okamoto as Rin Okumura
Ayahi Takagaki as Kuro
Eri Kitamura as Izumo Kamiki
Hiroaki Hirata as Shirō Fujimoto
Hiroshi Kamiya as Mephisto Pheles
Jin Urayama as Tatsuma Suguro
Katsuyuki Konishi as Jūzō Shima
Kazuhiro Yamaji as Saburōta Tōdō
Kishō Taniyama as Kinzō Shima
Koji Yusa as Renzō Shima
M.A.O as Mamushi Hōjō
Rina Satou as Shura Kirigakure
Yuuki Kaji as Konekomaru Miwa

Changes from original series:
Hiroaki Hirata as Shiro Fujimoto (replacing Keiji Fujiwara)
Jin Urayama as Tatsuma Suguro (replacing Takashi Inagaki)

Theme Songs:
Opening Theme:
"Itteki no Eikyō" (一滴の影響; Drop's Influence) by UVERworld

Ending Theme:
"Kono Te de" (コノ手デ; With This Hand) by Rin Akatsuki

Story from Season 1:
Humans and demons are two sides of the same coin, as are Assiah and Gehenna, their respective worlds. The only way to travel between the realms is by the means of possession, like in ghost stories. However, Satan, the ruler of Gehenna, cannot find a suitable host to possess and therefore, remains imprisoned in his world. In a desperate attempt to conquer Assiah, he sends his son instead, intending for him to eventually grow into a vessel capable of possession by the demon king.

Ao no Exorcist follows Rin Okumura who appears to be an ordinary, somewhat troublesome teenager—that is until one day he is ambushed by demons. His world turns upside down when he discovers that he is in fact the very son of Satan and that his demon father wishes for him to return so they can conquer Assiah together. Not wanting to join the king of Gehenna, Rin decides to begin training to become an exorcist so that he can fight to defend Assiah alongside his brother Yukio.

MAL Info for S1:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/9919/Ao_no_Exorcist

PVs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nid7PfFzGY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq0Ko_mmuow

5tmxfX6.jpg

*Important Thread Reminders*
As with all TV anime "OT" threads, the thread is here to, as a group, react to and discuss the show. This includes its good parts, bad parts, and everything in between. Discuss and have fun is the most important part, however.....

As always, spoiler tags are not needed in this thread after each episode airs. However, manga readers, please do not post future spoilers untagged!!! Even if they are tagged, make sure you title it as a future plot spoiler so there are no "accidents."

Season 1 spoilers are fair game for discussion in this thread

Thank you and let's have some great discussion as the show airs.

Raxus

So is this going to just ignore the anime only ending of the first series and just stick with the manga?

jonno394

Episode 1 picks up right where season 1 ends, suddenly Kuro jumps on Rins and wakes him up in his bed, it was all a dream and we're back around episode 13/14.

Cornbread78

So is this going to just ignore the anime only ending of the first series and just stick with the manga?

I searched for confirmation of this after finishing S1 last week, but couldn't find a difinitive answer. Chronologically, this should be covering the "Kyoto Impure King Arc" according to anything released. Soneone who has read thevmanga could probably pinpoint it's chronological place based on season 1 before it went original.

Wanderer5

If they are really going to follow the manga now (looks like it), and seeing that they have the court scene in one of the PVs, then they might start with chapter 14 manga wise with some recapping, which is basically the outcome of Rin vs Amaimon and Rin being taken in to court. That pretty much where the differences in the first season start coming in (well there some filler earlier in the season too, but it doesn't matter :p).

Also looking forward to Saburota Todo.

Cornbread78

If they are really going to follow the manga now (looks like it), and seeing that they have the court scene in one of the PVs, then they might start with chapter 14 manga wise with some recapping, which is basically the outcome of Rin vs Amaimon and Rin being taken in to court. That pretty much where the differences in the first season start coming in (well there some filler earlier in the season too, but it doesn't matter :p).

Sounds good. However, the real question becomes: Does Shiori chose a brother to make hers?

Why isnt the streaming time anywhere in the OP?

First and foremost in the lineup, the highly anticipated Blue Exorcist returns for its 2nd season! Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga launches on Crunchyroll Friday, January 6 at 10:30AM Pacific Time for members in North America, Central America, South America, United Kingdom and Ireland

Tuck

Think I'll rematch the first season (minus non-canon filler) then start on this. I loved the original show so I'm glad its back!

TheChaos0

I was thinking this was not getting a season 2 given how they ended the first anime with the anime original ending. Might check it out actually!

Cornbread78

Why isnt the streaming time anywhere in the OP?

First and foremost in the lineup, the highly anticipated Blue Exorcist returns for its 2nd season! Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga launches on Crunchyroll Friday, January 6 at 10:30AM Pacific Time for members in North America, Central America, South America, United Kingdom and Ireland

Wait, they changed it? It was supposed to be airing Sat., must be the time conversion dammit...

Updating OP

Kaizer

Banned
In anticipation of this, I'm currently rewatching the first season, skipping all the filler episodes & filler ending of course since it's been soooo long since I saw Blue Exorcist. I remember really enjoying it & now I regret not keeping up with the manga. Definitely looking forward to this new season!

Wanderer5

I can't seem to find it on there? I see the original series, but I don't see the new season there nor as a separate thing.

Cornbread78

I can't seem to find it on there? I see the original series, but I don't see the new season there nor as a separate thing.

On the mobile app, you have to hit the drop down and select between "dubbed" Subbed" and Kyoto Saga.

I'm not seeing any episodes posted under "Kyoto Saga" yet though...

Blue exorcist Impure king arc 1

So yea Blue Exorcist is back and that first episode was great! My boy Rin still looking good. I also remember why I just don't like Yukio as a character, his brother inferiority complex always bugged me.

A-1 just does such a great job with the visuals in this show.

The opening in also excellent both the music and the visuals!

-------------------------------------------

For those not finding it

http://www.crunchyroll.com/blue-exorcist

Yeah it can be slow especially the next arc or two after this one. Still it can be quite interesting and does pick up.

It does have it's moments, but it's been running for 8 years and is still dragging all kinds of ass.

I hope the OP for this one is as good as the UVERworld one in the OG series, shit was hype.

Wanderer5

Aw they cut out the part when
on the train, Bon and Izumo arguing causes Shura to get really piss and had all of them in another train car with the Bariyons (those spirit stones thing used as punishment) lol.

Anyway huh not much recapping as I was expecting, but whatever, good start. That opening is so great.

Wanderer5

Man this show coming around at last is really exciting for me, partly cause I was there at the announcement during the AX panel last summer, and it was just like :O. I hope this will do well.

So how did they hand wave the original anime's filler ending and if someone is interested where do I tell them to stop watching season 1?

Cornbread78

So how did they hand wave the original anime's filler ending and if someone is interested where do I tell them to stop watching season 1?

Sounds like Wanderer knows what's up.

So far they kind of just pretended like it didn't happen. First episode was OK, certainly looked nice, but they definitely expect you to come in knowing the characters. Setup episode, ho-hum.

Wanderer5

Where to stop would be Episode 17, which also includes Rin being introduced to the candle training, and that is where this arc pretty much starts in the manga. That said, there are still some big differences from the outcome of Rin vs Amaimon to that point that they might let by, but more likely to not mention it.

It looks like they are just throwing in bits of flashbacks that doesn't have any anime only stuff. For example, Rin vs Amaimon was shown a couple times, which that is a thing regardless of anime or manga, but like I am not sure they will hint that Rin's sword was breaking and it had to be fixed, or that Amaimon attacked the court (at this point in the manga he is still in that cuckoo clock XD).

I think one of the PVs shown that they remade the court scene, least a bit of it for the flashback.

Kaizer

Banned
Finally finished my rewatch of all of Season 1's canon episodes & headed straight into the premiere. Was pretty good episode, as the start of a new season it's a little awkward as it feels like basically the next episode that would've aired if the original series hadn't delved into filler territory for its remaining episodes.

This episode was mostly a lot of setup & exposition with a few brief flashbacks, so I'm excited to see where the story goes from here. I might actually decide to start reading the manga this time.

Cornbread78

Oh yeah, this is Blue Exorcist all right. New mission mixed in with recap material to reorientate the viewer worked really well in this episode. I'm definaty looking forward to see how thry progress the story from here.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Episode 1 picks up right where season 1 ends, suddenly Kuro jumps on Rins and wakes him up in his bed, it was all a dream and we're back around episode 13/14.
They pulled a "Who shot JR?" in writing off the second half of the first season? LOL

Cornbread78

They pulled a "Who shot JR?" in writing off the second half of the first season? LOL

Well, everything after episode 17 was original material and didn't follow the manga. This season is starting right where they stopped airing the source material

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom