• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Exorcist (Season 2) anime/tv |OT| Satan was a family man and did nothing wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue exorcist impure king arc 2

Man I loved the characters interactions so much this episode! They convey their emotions so well, I love them all so much. BUT seeing my boy Rin sad makes me so so sad....how can anyone hate him! He's both hot and cute at the same time AND he has the best freakin smile.

I don't remember how season 1 looked that much but I just love how this season of Blue exorcist look, A-1 did a freakin fantastic job.

ionitron

It does have it's moments, but it's been running for 8 years and is still dragging all kinds of ass.

I hope the OP for this one is as good as the UVERworld one in the OG series, shit was hype.

Man, its been 8 years? I've been reading faithfully since chapter 15. Time flies.

I am watching this and it's cool, it's been soooo long. I remember the first season was while I was in my junior year of high school and now I'm graduating college .-.

Tuck

Episode 2 was better, no flashbacks. Pink hair remains best character, his interactions with Rin (second best character) were sweet - I figured he'd be the first to come around.

Rewatching season 1 and now season 2, its nice to be reminded how much I like Rin. Such a good character/

Magwik

Banned
Episode 1 picks up right where season 1 ends, suddenly Kuro jumps on Rins and wakes him up in his bed, it was all a dream and we're back around episode 13/14.
Man I vowed to never touch Blue Exorcist after That ending but this will make up for it all

Cornbread78

Love getting all this character development for Ryuji and the other boys from the temple. It woukd have been great to get this when the original was airing, but I'll take it now since it really makes you ubderstand their dispositions better.

Cornbread78

Lots of drama here, but I like the extra depth to the characters this arc is adding. feels much more natural after just watching how the events unfolded in the original broadcast series.

Cornbread78

Looks like things are finally moving alone and Rin is learning... well, trying to at least. A lot more drama going on thsn I expected from this season; hopefully the action part starts kicking in soon.

Blue Exorcist 4

Another show that mixed comedy and drama well for their 4th episode.

c9475cc3480604294c028f073ab70c47.jpg

The few comedy moments gave me a good chuckle that were much needed in this quite dramatic episode.

f81277a68beadc274f112fda47e25d32.jpg
dda9fa53498ad51cbf8c040a0f2f775f.jpg

The first big *reveal* of the traitor happens and all the super character developpment from the pass few episodes makes for some pretty heavy character drama between Bon and his Dad. But what I thought was the hardest to watch this episode(on an emotinal level) was my poor boy Rin seeing Bon doing exatly what he did with his own Dad. Hearing him say *it will be to late once he's dead* hit me pretty hard in the feel and the face he made during that speach made it even worst. Having him then go full on to punches against Ryuji was what this episode fantastic for me. Rin is basically what makes the show for me and seeing him mad, sad, happy, in distress always shake me up both positively and negatively. Cheer up my boy Rin!

I'll say it again but Blue Exorcist(which was already a super good looking show in the past) is sooooooo beautiful visually. Characters in particular look really great.

Seiniyta

It always surprised me how low key Blue excorcist is rather really popular in Japan. So another season doesn't surprise me. Should I rewatch parts of the first season again or can I just jump in with this season? It's been ages I watched the first one.

It always surprised me how low key Blue excorcist is rather really popular in Japan. So another season doesn't surprise me. Should I rewatch parts of the first season again or can I just jump in with this season? It's been ages I watched the first one.

They do a pretty good job recapping the important bits when needed. They pretty much have too since they need to make sure people know half of the first season got scrapped since it was original. So unless you really forgot everything, I don't think you need too.

blakep267

Ehh. I think I'm gonna bounce off of this season. Way too boring for my tastes. Maybe the first season was also like this, but I watched it ages ago so idk

And before I get people saying" it's just telling a story. You aren't sophisticated so you think it's boring etc". Trust. I watch plenty of story driven shows that actually accomplish things in 4 episodes and aren't wastes of time

Cornbread78

Well, things are starting to piece together, nut tge pacing is really, really slow. I can see why they went rogue in S1, lol.

Blue Exorcist Kyoto arc 5
52b8db885b80fc7cbb39bcf7255c7e01.jpg

I don't really get all the *it's slow* comments. I really like how we flesh they the past of the characters and the story, seeing stuff like how Father Fujimoto and Master Tatsuma met is really cool. Seeing each of Rin's friends slowly get over the fact that he is the son of Satan and realise that he is really a good guy no matter who is father might be as the be my favourite part. I guess if you don't really like the characters that would be a reason, but I like em all(minus Yukio) and find how they interact super fun. Really liking this adaptation so far. Really hard to decide if I like Tales or this more. Both just have such a fantastic cast of characters.

Also even if depressed Rin makes me sad, I got to say he looks good no matter the situation.
2d5fab65ec0e34b58afd89cb9ac78240.jpg

The animation style looks great this season and the story is good, but I have to agree that things are moving too slow. I mean, we got some backstory with Shiro and interaction with the rest of the gang, but last night I was thinking to myself if I missed something because it was a 24 minute episode and it feels like barely anything happened to progress the story.

Todo is a really cool villain, and I hope they do a good job adapting some of his cooler scenes.

Makes me wonder: Did they ever confirm if this will be 100% faithful to the manga or another anime-original ending?

Wanderer5

Todo is a really cool villain, and I hope they do a good job adapting some of his cooler scenes.

Makes me wonder: Did they ever confirm if this will be 100% faithful to the manga or another anime-original ending?

I don't think they ever said that they would have another anime original ending, so guess we shall see how it goes. The ending to this arc would leave this season on a good note, with maybe a tease for the next one or whatever.

Blue Exorcist Impure king arc 6

The beast as been released!
0ce8cd1c66e5ccb7cd41efdac13dca7b.jpg
74b2f536949eeeebb93057dc04e4785c.jpg

The combination of the flashback plus the awakening of the Impure king made for some awesome events in this episode. Master Tatstuma showed use how badass he is and he had better be powerful with that damn oath
forcing him to lie like that
, but I just hate the way he
gets *killed*

Those last few words hit strong, will our boy Rin answer is request?

I'm now 100% Blue Exorcist as the best OP this season and easily one of the best ED.

Cornbread78

That was excellent from start to finish and really helped fill in the story gaps. Good action and story movement is just what this series needed after a slow start.

Cornbread78

Oh yeah, it's on now. Excellent episode with the crew finally getting together to kick some butt. The scene with Rin x Shiori was pretty well done and I'm looking forward to the showdown as well Maphisto.

Cornbread78

I'll take that. I guess they really are going to ride this arc and this battle through the entire season.

Either way, theven last few episodes have been much better as things start to happen.

Cornbread78

Yup, they are going to drag this out the full 12 episodes, but it's fine because the show has been a good ride through the battle the past month. Hopefully, Rin gets his power up to start slashing up this demon soon!

Blue Exorcist 8

Oh yea this is getting good! I got emotional when Bon told his father that he loved hearing chant his sutra and started crying. Very touching moment. Then we went to Todo and holy shit he's kind of an ass, but he is also kind of cool in an evil way.

Also that Fire summon...I did not expect that voice from something looking like that lol.

Blue Exorcist 9

Yoooo the scene Kuro running on the castle and the comedy were pretty on point this episode! Loved the Shima moment and the last Yukio moment too. Beat Todo's ass up Shima!

Cornbread78

Yup, this was awesome. Everything is going to hell and they are fighting back the best they can! The battles are intense and the characters are all putting in work to defeat the Impure King... Excellent stuff!

Kwame120

Banned
I'm a fan of how psychological it's getting too. It's not necessarily about overpowering your opponent, but also psyching them out, as well as outsmarting them. And even when you do have a crazy power advantage, you've got your own mental barriers to overcome.

Cornbread78

I'm a fan of how psychological it's getting too. It's not necessarily about overpowering your opponent, but also psyching them out, as well as outsmarting them. And even when you do have a crazy power advantage, you've got your own mental barriers to overcome.

Very true. Shiori and Rin both proved that this past episode.

Kwame120

Banned
Very true. Shiori and Rin both proved that this past episode.
Yup. Plus you have the themes of trust and fatherhood cropping up too. It's an anime that seems basic on the surface, but in fact has quite a lot of depth. This arc seems a lot more tempered (and realistic) than the end of season 1 as well, so I'm happy that they ignored the anime only ending and opted to follow the manga. (Or so I've heard, anyways, I'm a non manga reader.)

Cornbread78

This was a pretty darn good way to kill off this giant demon. They built it up nice the past couple episodes and even added that new twist into it at the end to finish things off. Next week is the final episode of this arc, but I really hope they adapt more of the show.

Shiori was also boss like usual.

Maxinas

How have the Japanese received the show? I have a feeling the 5 year gap between the two seasons really faded out any following it had.

Cornbread78

How have the Japanese received the show? I have a feeling the 5 year gap between the two seasons really faded out any following it had.

Good question, I hope it is doing well. It started really slow, but got really good towards the end of this arc.

It's at like 7.93 on MAL as a "universal score" but they heavily hinted at future events in this episode, so I'm hoping they announce more after the final episode next week.

It did not help it that's for sure. I think the blu-ray and dvd of volume one sold like 1500-ish copies each. That's not really good.

As for the reception itself...no idea!

Although the hype for the anime made the latest volume sell really well. I think it's the best selling JUMP SQ title.

Kwame120

Banned
Again, a pretty good episode. It managed to tie everything together - Rin could only defeat the demon due to his massive amount of power, but had to control it in two ways: a new way, which tied the plot and history of his sword together in learning how to manipulate flame via chants; and an old way, being able to control what was burned and so cleanse the entire mountain without actually killing anybody. The long build up was worth it, methinks.

Although the hype for the anime made the latest volume sell really well.

Not really, I dont think the anime has affected the manga this season. The newest volume sold the same as the most recent volume before the anime (v17 from july 2016). And based on the list for best selling series per week, apart from two weeks when the manga volume released, BLue Exorcist has failed to make the list in 2017 indicating old volumes arent really being bought. (Cut off was ~60K)

Not really, I dont think the anime has affected the manga this season. The newest volume sold the same as the most recent volume before the anime (v17 from july 2016). And based on the list for best selling series per week, apart from two weeks when the manga volume released, BLue Exorcist has failed to make the list in 2017 indicating old volumes arent really being bought. (Cut off was ~60K)
Oh really? I must have imagined that part then lol.

Blue Exorcist kyoto arc 10-11

OMG! This was AMAZING! The climax to both Yukio and Rin's battle were so well done. I loved how Todo just consistently gor in Yukio's head, making him doubt himself and fueling the brother acceptance/self acceptance problems he already has. The battle itself was super well done and the use of diverse tactics and the envrionnement itself was super well done. Todo best troll.

As for the impure king itself, the climax to that battle was super fantamazing! The way Rin clashes with himself and gets to still try to support Bon even if he is himself so scared shows us how deeply he cares for everybody. Rin is easily one of my favorite characters of all time; such a great personnality. Then the flame control and all, with him remembering Shiemi's words to pull himself through it. The amazing battle choregraphy with the epic feels ost playing...perfect! Rin being so happy at the end gave me a smile...Rin is best boy.

Great end to the fight, really well done.

Cornbread78

That was good closure for the season. Not sure if we'll ever see the rest of the show animated if what DTL posted is true, but the final 5-6 episodes redeemed the season.

Especially got a good laugh out of Shiori "friendzoning" Rin for life; good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom