• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 07•15-17•16 - Ghostbusters bows but Pets bow wow, Dory rekts Shrek for DOM record

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a scale of Sinister Six to Venom, how likely do you think a GB sequel with the same cast happens (or a cinematic universe spin-off) if it makes <$300 million WW? It will be rebooted again or have the budget drastically cut.
I think they will eventually make a sequel with the same cast as the reboot but I personally am betting that at least one spinoff will happen first. Worst case scenario IMO is that Sony does an Incredible Hulk and counts Answer the Call as part of their GCU but they don't really ever directly mention it again, using a spinoff as a sort of soft-reboot of the reboot. But I think it will be fine.

Spoilers for the stinger from GB16:
I see the Zuul hint at the end of AtC not as a direct lead in to a sequel but as the GCU's Thanos. The big bad built up over several films that brings all the different Ghostbusters teams together. So it would be like Answer the Call, spinoff, animated spinoff, direct sequel involving some of the cast from the spinoffs, the rumored prequel, then a third mainline entry bringing everyone together to take on Gozer.
They very well could follow AtC up with a direct sequel but if they do I think they would likely add more Ghostbusters to the team to, ugh, "balance it out" with dudes and bring more people on board.

There ain't gonna be no games if Activision continues to not give a fuck about the property.

This is depressingly accurate, someone needs to take the license the fuck away from them. Remaster the PS3/360 game and let someone else who actually gives a shit take over.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Thought it was funny as hell but it feels like they could have fit the witty banter into any movie, it just had the Ghostbusters coat of paint. The actual story and motivation behind the bad dude felt unimportant. Just plot beats.

This it's quite possible that this was the peak money any Ghostbusters movie wpuod have made

I don't believe that at all. I hate to say this but I'm almost positive that if Answer the Call came out and it was the exact same movie but with four men instead of women, or even a mix, it would have done much better. Maybe not covering-insane-$150M-budget better, but there would not have been this shit storm around it and people would have been more willing to give it a chance. ):

Even if the internet overestimates how much love there is for Ghostbusters, there are large groups of people actively doing their damndest to spread hate and negativity about this movie that possibly wouldn't exist otherwise. The movie itself is not a BAD movie, and it is 100% a Ghostbusters movie, but it could have definitely made more money IMO if this ridiculous and sad carnival of stupid didn't exist.

Busty

Banned
Spoilers for the stinger from GB16:
I see the Zuul hint at the end of AtC not as a direct lead in to a sequel but as the GCU's Thanos. The big bad built up over several films that brings all the different Ghostbusters teams together. So it would be like Answer the Call, spinoff, animated spinoff, direct sequel involving some of the cast from the spinoffs, the rumored prequel, then a third mainline entry bringing everyone together to take on Gozer.
They very well could follow AtC up with a direct sequel but if they do I think they would likely add more Ghostbusters to the team to, ugh, "balance it out" with dudes and bring more people on board.

I think you are seriously over estimating the appetite the public has for Ghostbuster films as evidenced by the opening weekend numbers of Feig's film.

Also, how does an animated spin off cross over into the these supposed live action sequels/spin offs?! It's not as if LEGO Batman is going to make an appearance in Ben Affleck's solo Batman film.

This. It's quite possible that this was the peak money any Ghostbusters movie would have made

Agreed. I don't think casting four men in the role would have made any real difference to the amount of money the film would have made opening weekend.

jstripes

Banned
Feig's comments were in reply to people harassing and threatening his cast

That wasn't even what set Paul Feig off.

It was fanboys harassing his fans that was the last straw. Some woman on Twitter thanked him for making the movie, on behalf of her daughter, and fanboys immediately lashed out against her.

That was the level of shit behaviour the "core fanbase" was up to.

I think you are seriously over estimating the appetite the public has for Ghostbuster films as evidenced by the opening weekend numbers of Feig's film.

Also, how does an animated spin off cross over into the these supposed live action sequels/spin offs?! It's not as if LEGO Batman is going to make an appearance in Ben Affleck's solo Batman film.

Agreed. I don't think casting four men in the role would have made any real difference to the amount of money the film would have made opening weekend.

Again I'm looking at it through Sony/Ghost Corps' eyes, trying to see how a franchise or "cinematic universe" could be built.

I have no idea how they could tie the animated movie into the main series and maybe they won't, but it's in development right now and I can see it coming out before a proper direct sequel to Answer the Call so that's why I put it in that list.

As it stands, when Ghost Corps was announced their slate of movies was reportedly Answer the Call, spinoff, Sequel, Prequel, Avengers-style mega movie. That's what I'm working off of.

For someone who works at Sony or Ghost Corps, it's up to them to come up with a way to make people interested in Ghostbusters if they aren't already because clearly Sony is desperate for franchises and they're going to try and salvage whatever they can from this mess. They can do this apparently unheard of concept called "creating new fans" too.

Do you know the term "walk in someone else's shoes" or "see things from someone else's perspective"? That's all I'm doing here. I'm theorizing how the people at Sony or Ghost Corps could build a franchise of movies out of the Ghostbusters IP to answer your questions. I don't work for either company so all I can really do in this instance is guess. I don't think that's a bad thing? We're on an internet forum discussing a movie series. Speculation isn't a new thing here.

That wasn't even what set Paul Feig off.

It was fanboys harassing his fans that was the last straw. Some woman on Twitter thanked him for making the movie, on behalf of her daughter, and fanboys immediately lashed out against her.

That was the level of shit behaviour the "core fanbase" was up to.

Yeah this idea that Feig dissed and insulted the GB fanbase is bunk.

Well unless the majority of the fanbase actually does in fact identify with the sexist folk who were harassing everyone.

lol at Ghostbusters being a mess

It did ok critically (better than most thought) and will possibly do ok commercially. If they want to start building blocks, they could do a lot worse

When I say mess I'm referring to the situation surrounding the movie, not the movie itself. Once again I really loved it. I saw it twice within 24 hours and I'm trying to drag as many people with me as I can to see it again. I wanna see it in 3D too since I keep hearing how cool the effects were with the different aspect ratio.

lol at Ghostbusters being a mess

It did ok critically and will possibly do ok commercially. If they want to start building blocks, they could do a lot worse

People are ignoring that this in the range Sony was itself projecting.

What will likely happen is they'll cut the budget of a sequel.

This is doing quite well for the type of movie it is. The problem is it was given too high a budget.

Edwins

Star Wars is doing it. The animated film and shows are officially part of the continuity. Forest Whitaker's Rogue One character is actually from The Clone Wars.

The animated movie is supposedly from the point of view of a ghost so who knows what the fuck they're doing with it, honestly. If they introduce a Ghost Buddy like Slimer was in The Real Ghostbusters then there's your answer right there as to how they'd tie it in. The Ecto Force animated series that takes place in 2050 is also supposed to be tied in with Answer the Call.

Edwins

That'd require a WB/Sony thing, ya?

Pretty sure, yeah. It also requires WB to decide a Lego Ghostbusters movie with Sony somehow makes more sense than something they can already do, like Lego Batman sequels or something. A straight to video Lego animated thing for a quick bit of income might make sense, though. They've even put out those for Disney stuff (Marvel and Star Wars have had them).

Ponn

Banned
I feel "People don't like Ghostbusters" is not the takeaway the execs are going to take from this. As much as people wanted to downplay the misogyny on display for this movie, it was real and upfront from the very beginning. We may or may not see more Ghostbusters stuff beyond what is already planned or imminent. One thing the execs are for sure going to take away from this is that they saw alot of hate and anger from people about women in lead, coveted, action packed roles, average review scores AND THEN poor numbers (unfortunately this will not have any type of legs with the coming onslaught of movies). They are definitely going to be making a correlation from that and it will not help women in Hollywood.

Edwins

I feel "People don't like Ghostbusters" is not the takeaway the execs are going to take from this. As much as people wanted to downplay the misogyny on display for this movie, it was real and upfront from the very beginning. We may or may not see more Ghostbusters stuff beyond what is already planned or imminent. One thing the execs are for sure going to take away from this is that they saw alot of hate and anger from people about women in lead, coveted, action packed roles, average review scores AND THEN poor numbers (unfortunately this will not have any type of legs with the coming onslaught of movies). They are definitely going to be making a correlation from that and it will not help women in Hollywood.

I could certainly see them cooling on those Female Team Up/Silver Sable/Black Cat ideas over on the Spidey side. Is it "right"? No. It's definitely not going to help get more diverse films, though.

In the case of the Spidey stuff it's for the best if Sony doesn't go forward with live action films with no Marvel involvement anyway, but still...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I would be interested in seeing this same cast with a director that's interested in actually putting forth an interesting Ghostbusters story. Less of a typical Feig vehicle, more of a cohesive Ghostbuster film. Wiig and McCarthy can be funny without the slapstick.

A lot of desperate rationalization going on in this thread, especially from those who have shown a lot of vested interest in the movie doing well in other threads.

For the amount of marketing Ghostbusters got, the budget, the exposure through controversy, the fact of no Chinese release, and other big-name movies coming up soon... Ghostbusters bombed hard. If Tarzan of all movies could do 60 mil in its opening week, it seems nearly preposterous that Ghostbusters, a movie with much broader appeal, couldn't even scrape 50 mil.

kswiston

A lot of desperate rationalization going on in this thread, especially from those who have shown a lot of vested interest in the movie doing well in other threads.

For the amount of marketing this movie got, the budget, the exposure through controversy, the fact of no Chinese release, and other big-name movies coming up soon... Ghostbusters bombed hard. If Tarzan of all movies could do 60 mil in its opening week, it seems nearly preposterous that Ghostbusters, a movie with much broader appeal, couldn't even scrape 50 mil.

Tarzan's 3-day opening was $38.5M

jstripes

Banned
Yeah this idea that Feig dissed and insulted the GB fanbase is bunk.

Well unless the majority of the fanbase actually does in fact identify with the sexist folk who were harassing everyone.

This is the Ghostbusters fanbase:

3BfRdwm.gif

For the amount of marketing Ghostbusters got, the budget, the exposure through controversy, the fact of no Chinese release, and other big-name movies coming up soon... Ghostbusters bombed hard. If Tarzan of all movies could do 60 mil in its opening week, it seems nearly preposterous that Ghostbusters, a movie with much broader appeal, couldn't even scrape 50 mil.

Tarzan's 3-day opening was $38.5M

Lol Tarzan did 40 mil opening weekend

Edit: SWISS GODDAMNIT

Ha ha ha

Wow Ghostbusters made less than $50mil opening. That's, uh, not good. Might be a bomb.

ywKCHpu.png

And the disparity between the Metascore and the User Score is quite interesting.

You can't expect a $150M effects-driven action-comedy to generate a substantial profit without drawing a significant young male audience.

You can't expect to have all-female leads, with Wiig and McCarthy being the most recognizable, and easily draw in a young male audience.

The misogynistic backlash is loathsome, absolutely, but I have no doubt that a Ghostbusters film with less Feig-esque casting would be doing much better.

Wow Ghostbusters made less than $50mil opening. That's, uh, not good. Might be a bomb.

ywKCHpu.png

And the disparity between the Metascore and the User Score is quite interesting.

Hmmm wonder why user scores are so disparately low... sure it has nothing to do with the organized downvote low score hate brigade that's been trying to fuck with this movie since day one.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You understand this is satire right?
Yes it's a piss take of an article written at the same time.
But it's not far from the truth in his eyes.
Have you seen interviews with him and his appearance in extras on his films?

Yes it's a piss take of an article written at the same time.
But it's not far from the truth in his eyes.

Right Paul Feig thinks men aren't funny...

Jesus.

Persecution complex much?

You can post blatant satire and say oh this is satire but it's also proof that he really believes this.

3N16MA

Banned
Which says a lot about her career.

She stars in comedies with a budgets usually under 50M. Her films do fairly well at the box office.

OW are only a small part of the picture. Matt Damon has one film that has opened above 60M and George Clooney has none.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Right Paul Feig thinks men aren't funny...

Jesus.

Persecution complex much?

You can post blatant satire and say oh this is satire but it's also proof that he really believes this.
He said the same in the Daily Telegraph in a Q&A
All I'm saying is his opinion existed before Ghostbusters

kswiston

I don't think that Feig's other films are a very good predictor of the legs for Ghostbusters. It's summer, so it could still end up with a 3x multiplier if the first set of weekdays are good, but I think that $150M domestic is going to be on the high end of things. 3 major films opening next weekend isn't really going to help things.

The Purge Election Day ended up doing much better than expected. Lights Out is probably going to amputate its late legs, but the film should still reach a new franchise high in the $80-85M range.

Tarzan will at least hit $125M domestic. Presales in China are pointing to a relatively modest take, but in addition to that it still has some relatively large openings left (Brazil, Germany, Japan, and Spain). My guess for the time being would be $325M worldwide. It could end up higher than that depending on legs in recently released territories, future openings and China.

You can't expect a $150M effects-driven action-comedy to generate a substantial profit without drawing a significant young male audience.

You can't expect to have all-female leads, with Wiig and McCarthy being the most recognizable, and easily draw in a young male audience.

The misogynistic backlash is loathsome, absolutely, but I have no doubt that a Ghostbusters film with less Feig-esque casting would be doing much better.
I agree. I'm a young guy and watching the commercials and everything the movie just didn't seem like it was made for me. It looked like something my mom would watch. And the few scenes I did see on tumblr were just cringey; it wasn't funny at all. I'm probably never going to go see it.

JaggedSac

That'd be fucking stupid, he wasn't the problem at all, their fucked up marketing was

The trailers were definitely shit. If the movie is not represented well by those trailers, then yeah, their marketing failed them. It is a possible rental for me due to the trailers drumming up no interest. The humor in the trailers was abysmal.

I agree. I'm a young guy and watching the commercials and everything the movie just didn't seem like it was made for me. It looked like something my mom would watch. And the few scenes I did see on tumblr were just cringey; it wasn't funny at all. I'm probably never going to go see it.

The clip with them throwing the ghosts and doing rolls and crap is what finally made me turn against the movie. I was going to go see it regardless, but with Star Trek next week and Suicide Squad coming up so soon too, I can only afford so many babysitters.

kswiston

I said week and my point still stands. Ghostbusters should have done at least a third better if not double and it's looking to tie if that.

Ghostbusters will make around $20M Monday-Thursday, so you're probably looking at $65M or so for the week.

EDIT: My guess would be around $90M by the end of its second weekend. Tarzan was sitting at $82M by that point.

He said the same in the Daily Telegraph in a Q&A
All I'm saying is his opinion existed before Ghostbusters

Ok even if we go with this

That he finds women funnier than men has no bearing on the fact that the target of his ire throughout this were the sexist attacks on his cast and fans, not the Ghostbusters fanbase... unless you believe those two are the same.

Ghostbusters will make around $20M Monday-Thursday, so you're probably looking at $65M or so for the week.

Which is about on par with Tarzan, which to me seems crazy when you compare the marketing and wider base of the two. Though, anecdotally and somewhat ironically, I work with teenage girls and they showed a lot more interest in wanting to go see Tarzan to see sexy shirtless Skarsgard than wanting to see 'geeky Ghostbusters'.

kswiston

Sony should have given GB the same budget as Goosebumps.

$90-100M would have been fine.

However, this was supposed to be Sony's summer tentpole. Reality might have set in within the last month or two, but I have no doubt that they were planning on $200M+ as the floor when the budget was greenlit.

$90-100M would have been fine.

However, this was supposed to be Sony's summer tentpole. Reality might have set in within the last month or two, but I have no doubt that they were planning on $200M+ as the floor when the budget was greenlit.

I'm really hoping the lesson they learn is just lower the budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom