• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bolivia declares Israel a terrorist state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damaniel

Banned
because they keep putting weapons in them? power plants have always been legal targets.

The IDF claims that Hamas is putting weapons in them, but offer no proof other than 'but we're Israel, you must believe what we say because the other side is made up of lying subhuman scum!'

I don't believe the IDF for a single moment. Show us some physical proof that Hamas is storing weapons in UN-sponsored shelters or power plants, and I might take them seriously. For now, all we have is the word of a bunch of people more than willing to kill children on a whim and demand that we trust their actions 'just because'. The average Israeli or American might be willing to accept such flimsy 'evidence', but I demand more (especially when a whole lot of indiscriminate killing is happening as a result).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Brazil Condemns Israeli Offensive in Gaza, Recalls Ambassador

The result being that the conservative media is now heavily favouring Israel in its reporting because of the elections in 3 months. I find it very hard to take sides in the Israel-Palestine conflict, but the way the local media has been using it is frankly disgusting. Not sure why I'm surprised, though.

You don't need to take sides to condemn Israel and their horrific actions.

Saying that Israel are monsters for slaughtering innocents and children and treating Palestinians like dirt does not necessarily mean you support Hamas or their violent actions.

TheContact

Fox news still pro-Israel? I never watch that station I'm just curious how they can spin Israel to look good like they usually try to do

The IDF claims that Hamas is putting weapons in them, but offer no proof other than 'but we're Israel, you must believe what we say because the other side is made up of lying subhuman scum!'

I don't believe the IDF for a single moment. Show us some physical proof that Hamas is storing weapons in UN-sponsored shelters or power plants, and I might take them seriously. For now, all we have is the word of a bunch of people more than willing to kill children on a whim and demand that we trust their actions 'just because'.

They've stocked rockets in a couple of empty UN schools, there has been zero evidence of Hamas putting weapons inside schools or shelters that are occupied.

Won't stop the Hasbara guys telling you that it's ok to deliberately target civilians though.

The difference is bub, the taxpayers in the US and the EU aren't paying for those other situations, with the arguable exception of Iraq (and it wasn't like Iraq didn't raise the ire of significant numbers of people in the West either). The US pays for Israeli's military might, and the EU, US and Japan basically fund the imprisonment of the Palestinians. That's why people in the West get up in arms over it, we're effing funding it and continue to do so.

Ethnic cleansing is:

Ethnic cleansing is the systematic forced removal of ethnic or religious groups from a given territory with the intent of creating a territory inhabited by people of a homogeneous or pure ethnicity, religion, culture, and history.

Ethnic cleansing examples are:

The killings of hundreds of ethnic Uzbeks in Kyrgyzstan during the 2010 South Kyrgyzstan riots resulting in the flight of thousands of Uzbek refugees to Uzbekistan have been called ethnic cleansing by the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe and international media

2011 Libyan civil war. The killings, imprisonment and mass expulsions of African workers, migrants and native black Libyans in Libya by rebel forces who directly and indirectly accused them of being African mercenaries from neighboring countries of Chad, Niger or Sudan and pro-Gaddafi supporters.[231] The majority African Libyan town of Tawergha, 36 kilometers south of Libya's third largest city Misrata was ethnically cleansed of its inhabitants by members of the Misrata Brigade as a retaliation against supposed Gaddafi supporters.

Members of the Azusa 13 gang, associated with the Mexican Mafia, were accused of attempting a racial cleansing of African Americans in Azusa, California.

Approximately 400,000 people have been displaced in the 2012 Assam ethnic violence between indigenous Bodos and Bengali-speaking Muslims in Assam, India.

Sources inside the Syrian Orthodox Church have reported an ongoing ethnic cleansing of Syrian Christians is being carried out by anti-government jihadist rebels.

Central African Republic conflict (2012–present).[237] More than 1 million have been internally displaced.

2013 Burma anti-Muslim riots

South Sudanese conflict (2013–present).[239] More than 700,000 have been internally displaced. Part of Ethnic violence in South Sudan.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Israel's only goal is to take out Hamas. If you remove that, you can bet they would want nothing to do with Gaza like how they left it in 2005.

Their priorities are misaligned but they're not terrorists. You also can't ignore Israel is not claiming any deliberate civilian attacks. Whenever Hamas bombs a school or kidnap people, they claim they wanted that.

Killing civilians and land hostile takeovers are the best publicity a terrorist could hope for.

For example. What is happening all over the Middle East. From ISIS in Iraq, to homosexuals in Iran, to the Christians in Pakistan, to the christians in the Sudan, back to ISIS with the Shiites, then right over to homosexuals and adulterers, then back to ISIS ... then some more shiites ...

How many of those examples have complete immunity for their actions because they have a friend on the UN security council vetoing every single resolution that might require them to stop committing war crimes on a daily basis?

kmag

Ethnic cleansing is:

Ethnic cleansing examples are:

Your point in reply to mine is what caller?

And yes what the Israeli's are doing in the West Bank is ethnic cleansing. What else do you do call forcibly demolishing Palestinian homes to make way for Israeli settlements. It's a text book case of ethnic cleansing.

The point wasn't the number of people, the point was Rwandans dragging out other Rwandans for slaughter for being an ethnicity. There isn't anything analogous to this happening in the current conflict.

This will be the second time I will ask you to expand on this. I think I've made it pretty clear that IMO the targeting of Muslims and the taking of their land is equitable even if not in the same scale. Scale is something we've both clarified as irrelevant BTW.

Nope, Egypt and Jordan are. Hamas is to blame for a fear and distrust of the community in Gaza and West Bank because they chose to resolve their grievences with suicide bombings, kidnapping and the declaration of wanting to kill all Jews. Then the people of Gaza voted these guys into office.

Well sure. I don't think Hamas does any favors for the average palastinian. I don't agree with their tactics, but I don't fault their actions as much since they're the ones being blockaded and oppressed while having land taken from them.

xbhaskarx

Oh god.....not this picture again.

These pictures and random edited internet quotes do nothing but mislead people who don't know any better.

Here are the things wrong with that picture:

- First picture Falsely labels the Green land as Palestine. There was no Palestine, that land belonged to the British so what it should say in Green is British Empire Colony.

- Second picture shows what the UN plan was which was rejected by the Arab League which lead to the 1948 war which lead to the third picture that shows the Green incorrect again. Gaza should be labeled as Egypt and West Bank should be labled as Jordan because they took those territories after invading it to better attack Israel soon after it's formation.

But hey who cares about accuracy. A quick propaganda picture is far more effective then learning history.

What percentage of the people posting such historical maps do you think have taken even a single college level history course on Israel/Palestine?

Kyzer

Banned
Wait. So why did "the world" "agree" to give the Jewish people a safe haven in disputedly the most sacred religious place in the world, of all places? Thats what really screams conspiracy. We could a gave them Detroit or something. But no Jerusalem. For them to be safe. Lol. Poor planning? Or there's some other other shit going on behind the scenes.

diaspora

Your point in reply to mine is what caller?

And yes what the Israeli's are doing in the West Bank is ethnic cleansing. What else do you do call forcibly demolishing Palestinian homes to make way for Israeli settlements. It's a text book case of ethnic cleansing.

Those aren't ethnicities. That's what you'd call a bloodthirsty invasion.

This will be the second time I will ask you to expand on this. I think I've made it pretty clear that IMO the targeting of Muslims and the taking of their land is equitable even if not in the same scale. Scale is something we've both clarified as irrelevant BTW.

Well sure. I don't think Hamas does any favors for the average palastinian. I don't agree with their tactics, but I don't fault their actions as much since they're the ones being blockaded and oppressed while having land taken from them.

I've made it clear that them being muslims and arab are incidental, and your assertion that their faith plays a part in this is pretty damn stupid when many of the victims in Gaza are arab christians as well.

Zen

Banned
Genocide, it's hilarious.

79TgJge.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzWJDqYx6NM

Oh god.....not this picture again.

These pictures and random edited internet quotes do nothing but mislead people who don't know any better.

Here are the things wrong with that picture:

- First picture Falsely labels the Green land as Palestine. There was no Palestine, that land belonged to the British so what it should say in Green is British Empire Colony.

- Second picture shows what the UN plan was which was rejected by the Arab League which lead to the 1948 war which lead to the third picture that shows the Green incorrect again. Gaza should be labeled as Egypt and West Bank should be labled as Jordan because they took those territories after invading it to better attack Israel soon after it's formation.

But hey who cares about accuracy. A quick propaganda picture is far more effective then learning history.

If you actually understand history it is not propaganda. The header describes Palestinian loss of land, the first graph is accurate. I suggest you listen to this lecture on the topic before dismissing the graphic:

http://youtu.be/TzWJDqYx6NM?t=35m30s

Dr Hani Faris
Adjunct professor UBC department of poltical science vancouver
Faculty associate in Asian Research in UBC
Poltiical science Kuwait univrsity
Served as faculty Center for Middle East Studies at Harvard
The department of poltiical science and institute of middle east and islamic studies at Mgill
History department simon fraser university

Numbers are irrelevant to whether or not something is ethnic cleansing, targeting an ethnicity would make it so which isn't what's happening.

It is ethnic cleansing, there is no serious debate.

Ethnic cleansing is the systematic forced removal of ethnic or religious groups from a given territory with the intent of creating a territory inhabited by people of a homogeneous or pure ethnicity, religion, culture, and history. The forces applied may be various forms of forced migration (deportation, population transfer), as well as mass murder, and intimidation.

To argue that it is not is to betray a massive lack and fundamental lack of understanding on the subject.

even if the land was under British rule, and was previously under Ottoman rule... the people lived on that land

Yeah Palestine is not country, but the people have lived there for a longtime weather it was the Brits or the Ottoman or whatever past occupiers there were like Mumluks, Caliphates, Byzantine, Crusaders, Romans, Greeks, blablablablalbalbal

people lived there including both Israelites and Palestinains

just live together, co-exist, peace, get along

Wait. So why did "the world" "agree" to give the Jewish people a safe haven in disputedly the most sacred religious place in the world, of all places? Thats what really screams conspiracy. We could a gave them Detroit or something. But no Jerusalem. For them to be safe. Lol. Poor planning? Or there's some other other shit going on behind the scenes.

Conspiracy?

Well they kinda lived there until the muslims attacked in the 7th century AD. Tribes of israel, Judea and whatnot. But let's focus on who lives there now, these people are not responsable for bad historical decisions.

mantidor

even if the land was under British rule, and was previously under Ottoman rule... the people lived on that land

Yeah Palestine is not country, but the people have lived there for a longtime weather it was the Brits or the Ottoman or whatever past occupiers there were like Mumluks, Caliphates, Byzantine, Crusaders, Romans, Greeks, blablablablalbalbal

I learned my history from this video.

It seems accurate
up to the end :(

Haven't you heard? This land was granted to Israel by God contract and all, that's why US and other countries are afraid to call out Israel.

The defense force is disgusting. You know who you are. Good for him condemning the heinous crimes of the Israeli military and government.

An interesting piece I read from Matt Good. He's a musician, but has been a political commentator for the better part of two decades.

July 29, 2014
I’ll begin with a quote from Jesse Rosenfeld…

“This narrow strip of land that used to be called “the Gaza Strip,” already one of the more densely populated places on Earth, is growing dramatically smaller. The Israeli military, relentlessly and methodically, is driving people out of the 3-kilometer (1.8 mile) buffer zone it says it needs to protect against Hamas rockets and tunnels. According to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, the buffer zone eats up about 44 percent of Gaza’s territory.

What that means on the ground is scenes of extraordinary devastation in places like the Al Shajaya district approaching Gaza’s eastern frontier, and Beit Hanoun in the north. These were crowded neighborhoods less than three weeks ago. Now they have been literally depopulated, the residents joining more than 160,000 internally displaced people in refuges and makeshift shelters. Apartment blocks are fields of rubble, and as I move through this hostile landscape the phrase that keeps ringing in my head is “scorched earth.”

Given the effectiveness of Israel’s Iron Dome missile shield and the utterly pawnshop-like construction and accuracy of the the Qassam rockets being fired into Israel (easily one of the world’s worst munitions), 2 Israeli civilians have been killed and 23 have been wounded.

Those are excellent numbers.

Of course, Israel is the largest recipient of US military aid on the planet, so they have at their disposal state of the art munitions, aircraft, armour, naval assets, and so forth. So while militants lob rockets that are propelled using a sugar and potassium nitrate mixture featuring warheads filled with scavenged or smuggled TNT and urea nitrate that are triggered by a firearm cartridge, a spring and a nail, the IDF shoots back with 155mm and 203mm self-propelled Howitzers, PB500A1 laser-guided hard-target penetration bombs, M-85, CBU-58, and Mk-20 Rockeye cluster bombs, AGM-65 Maverick air-to-ground missiles, Delilah cruise missiles, and BLU-117’s - just to name a small few.

As of this July, 28 Israelis have been killed by Qassam rockets - since 2001. So, in 13 years, there have been 28 Israeli deaths. During this current Israeli invasion of Gaza, in excess of 1,000 Palestinian civilians have been killed and possibly in excess of 5,000 Palestinian civilians have been wounded. And that’s beyond the fact that entire swaths of the strip have been reduced to rubble.

No matter what the United Nations says, the Israelis will claim the UN bias. That would be why Israel ignores UN mandates, such as the status of the wall and illegal settlements. Of course, for example, throw the Iranians into the mix and Israel has absolutely no qualms about running to the IAEA (a UN body) like a hysterical school girl claiming that every stone in that country, no matter how small, be overturned by a team of 10,000 inspectors to ensure that the Iranians don’t secretly have the bomb - which, of course, they don’t. Israel, on the other hand, does. But unlike Iran, it’s somehow allowed to exercise what’s known as “nuclear opacity” - which means that it will neither confirm nor deny the fact that it has between 100 and 300 nuclear weapons, making it possibly the world’s third largest nuclear power behind Russia and the United States. Further, Israel will not allow that same body, the IAEA, to inspect any Israeli nuclear facility. In fact, the one man brave enough to blow the whistle on Israel’s nuclear program, Mordechai Vanunu, was abducted after he spoke to the British press in 1986 by the Mossad in Italy. He was returned to Israel where he was tried in secret and then sentenced to 18 years in prison, spending 11 of them in solitary confinement. To this day, he is not allowed to leave Israel, is barred for speaking to foreign media, and remains under constant surveillance.

Ironically, Jonathan Pollard, an American civilian intelligence analyst that was caught passing classified information to the Israelis in 1985, is considered a hero in Israel - even though Israel refused to admit that it was involved in any operation involving Pollard until 1998. They then granted Pollard Israeli citizenship and every Israeli Prime Minister since that time has lobbied the White House for his release - which has been denied by three Presidents. He is eligible for parole next year, though even if successful would not be able to leave the country under the terms of parole - which, of course, the highest levels of the Israeli government will lobby to alter.

Hamas is, by no means, an organization that the Palestinian people need representing them to the world. None of the numerous militant factions are. Nor is their ideology regarding Israel’s right to exist acceptable. But when the majority of Gaza’s population is under 20, unemployed, and trapped in the world’s foremost ghetto that has been subjected to economic warfare for years, the combination of being a pissed off youth with little hope manufactures precisely the sort of willing participants that militant groups need.

You want to defeat Palestinian militants? Give Palestinian youths a reason not to pick up a gun.

When Gazan fishermen can’t fish more than a stones thrown off their own coast, where they have fished for the better part of 1,500 years, what sort of mindset do you expect to cultivate? When you steal land, when you displace communities, when you build walls and roads that only Israelis can drive on, when you treat a people as second class citizens that are all viewed as a potential threat, what does that do to a people? When scores have lived in camps for decades waiting to return to lands that they will never see again, what does that do to a people?

Remove religion from the equation and that reality is something that, were it to happen here in the West, would be looked upon as prerequisites for justified revolution.

I have said as much before - those that would see all of this end are so drowned out by the bullshit emanating from both sides that the latter has become the narrative and the former laughable.

Peace, though many claim it so, is not a perspective. It is an absolute. One that we confuse with the absence of conflict rather than the existence of solution.

Today people will die. Men, women, children, soldiers. We’ll sit here and wax on about it, taking sides, trying to justify this and that. But the reality remains that where there exist people that are capable of ripping 5-year-olds to shreds, their innards and blood painting the rubble where they stood only moments before, compassion nor reason are to be found.

Only evil.

genjiZERO

Absolutely Israel is a terrorist state. It uses both violence and the threat of violence on a civilian population with the ideological goal of seizing the entire area as a "Jewish state". You could counter that they are only doing it to stop Hamas, but that ignores the fact that the West Bank is peaceful and those people are still subjected to violence and oppression on a daily basis.

Why the holy land? Why put them in hostile territory?

No time to recount the entire history of Zionism for you. The idea of "putting" the Jewish people somewhere began before 1948. I'd suggest reading up on it, and its secular nationalist roots.

gutter_trash said:

That's a very simplistic way of looking at history. "the people have lived there for a longtime"? If you're talking about familial lines, you probably wouldn't be able to trace the exact same lineage back to the Greeks. The people that live there now are likely not descendants of the pre-Arab Conquest Byzantine empire. Just a weird statement.

Awesome.

I mean, I know it's mostly political theatre, but still, absolutely admirable that there's still a country willing to do something responsible.

How many have had UN security council discussions that amounted to anything?

So you're going to deflect the question because answering it would require you to admit you're full of shit. OK, I'll bite.

UN threatens sanctions on anyone trading oil with ISIS

A buttload of sanctions against Iran

US renews sanctions on Sudan and earlier this year US imposes first sanctions in South Sudan conflict.

List of Sudan sanctions and South Sudan

Sanctions on Pakistan

So yeah, can we get back to that U.S. veto...

BradC00

I don't believe the IDF for a single moment. Show us some physical proof that Hamas is storing weapons in UN-sponsored shelters or power plants, and I might take them seriously. For now, all we have is the word of a bunch of people more than willing to kill children on a whim and demand that we trust their actions 'just because'. The average Israeli or American might be willing to accept such flimsy 'evidence', but I demand more (especially when a whole lot of indiscriminate killing is happening as a result).

the UNRWA has admitted to there being weapons in their schools a few times already...

Nikodemos

Well they kinda lived there until the muslims attacked in the 7th century AD. Tribes of israel, Judea and whatnot. But let's focus on who lives there now, these people are not responsable for bad historical decisions.
Err, nope. The Romans razed the place after the Jewish rebellions (66-73, 115-117, 132-136) and killed/enslaved most of the Jews (in total, nearly three million Jews were killed or enslaved). The pre-Islam population was mostly Christians of various sects and polytheists (as you might remember, Mohammed's first battles were against polytheist tribes). There were very few Jews.

No time to recount the entire history of Zionism for you. The idea of "putting" the Jewish people somewhere began before 1948. I'd suggest reading up on it, and its secular nationalist roots.

That's a very simplistic way of looking at history. "the people have lived there for a longtime"? If you're talking about familial lines, you probably wouldn't be able to trace the exact same lineage back to the Greeks. The people that live there now are likely not descendants of the pre-Arab Conquest Byzantine empire. Just a weird statement.

usually occupiers throughout history rarely exterminate to genocide people who live on the land. Occupiers simply lol occupied.

Anyone who really knows history knows the difference between a ruling occupation weather Empirical or whatever.

The Romans did not mass exterminate the Hebrew in Israel. No, the Romans occupied the land and enforced their laws but the Romans did not terminate all human life on the land.

So what I said is technically correct, people lived there, the Israelites and Palestinians have live under Ottoman rule and British rule and now Israeli rule. Their are not alien, they live there.

The non-European Israelis also live there

kmag

the UNRWA has admitted to there being weapons in their schools a few times already...

Only when no one was there. In abandoned schools, when UNRWA went to reopen the schools as overflow for all the incoming refugee's they found weapons and told Hamas to clear off. There have been no independent reports of weapons found or fired from any UN staffed school.

Abandoned schools. Two abandoned schools found when UNWRA personnel inspected the sites. The shelters hit were all known by the IDF as active shelters and the first incident the UNWRA attempted to coordinate an evacuation with the IDF for two days. They were still bombed.

Toxi

Banned
The entire Operation Protective Edge attack only makes practical sense a a psychological assault. Show people that they can die anywhere at any time, even in places they would consider safe (hospitals, refugee shelters, churches, apartment complexes), and that no people, not even children, are safe. Destroy the source of electricity so they feel powerless. Fly drones low to the ground to make people constantly aware of the danger through their noise.

I'm not sure if that's the intent, but that's the only thing Operation Protective Edge will accomplish: Creating a shell-shocked generation.

xbhaskarx

An interesting piece I read from Matt Good.

Given the effectiveness of Israel’s Iron Dome missile shield and the utterly pawnshop-like construction and accuracy of the the Qassam rockets being fired into Israel (easily one of the world’s worst munitions), 2 Israeli civilians have been killed and 23 have been wounded.
As of this July, 28 Israelis have been killed by Qassam rockets - since 2001. So, in 13 years, there have been 28 Israeli deaths

So then why continue to fire them into Israel if they do minimal damage, when any country with the military capability* is going to retaliate against forces shooting rockets into their territory?

* [ "any country with the military capability": this is an assumption on my part, are there historical examples of stable countries with strong militaries that didn't mind having rockets fired at them? ]

Chakan

Hamas strikes Israel. Israel strikes back. Blame Israel.

Bolivia government, please, grow up and study the conflict before declaring such ridiculous statements.

Same goes for Brazil government. Bunch of jokers and clows.

Jonm1010

Banned
Abandoned schools. Two abandoned schools found when UNWRA personnel inspected the sites. The shelters hit were all known by the IDF as active shelters and the first incident the UNWRA attempted to coordinate an evacuation with the IDF for two days. They were still bombed.
Yep the most recent attacks happening in the market were during a supposed ceasefire and the UN shelter happened after UN officials say they had continually given Israel coordinates and let them know 3000 people were taking refuge there.

There really is no defense for this shit. At best it's rogue agents in the military or deadly recklessness at worst it's intentional collective punishment with disregard for civilian casualties.

Absolutely Israel is a terrorist state. It uses both violence and the threat of violence on a civilian population with the ideological goal of seizing the entire area as a "Jewish state". You could counter that they are only doing it to stop Hamas, but that ignores the fact that the West Bank is peaceful and those people are still subjected to violence and oppression on a daily basis.

Pretty much. After reading up and learning more and more about what's been going on, it's perfectly clear that a mass amount of racism is happening.
I'm fairly sure most pro-israel supporters at this stage would happily watch muslims/brown people get wiped out.

I mean during the protests over the weekend, in Manchester, the very small amount of pro-israeli supports were joined up by the fucking EDL!

What makes it worse is all the evidence pointing to Israel's behaviour, and none of the western governments doing shit. Disgrace.

Razgreez

Bolivia government, please, grow up and study the conflict before declaring such ridiculous statements.

Such a succinct and accurate simplification of a conflict or, more accurately, oppression that has been in existence for decades. Especially since hamas hasn't even been around for more than half of it. So who's the real clown one wonders

Must be interesting to live in a world where you can just make up things to fit your narrative.

Don't like the rockets? End the apartheid regime and the illegal blockade. Put your military and civil war criminals on trial and stop acting like a pariah state.

besada

Banned

Chakan

As should you.

You actually believe Hamas is good? There are people over there that don't complain about them because they are afraid to die. They train people to hate Israel since childhood, creating an endless circle of hate. If Hamas is gone, the conflict ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom