• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boogie’s UFC 49: Unfinished Business Preview Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogie

Hey all, time for my preview and picks for tonight’s UFC 49 PPV. Just as a precaution, no Pride spoilers in this thread, please. It’s very tempting not to check the results that Biff posted on my Pride thread, but I’ve stayed strong so far. I can’t wait for Sunday.

But first, we’ve got a solid UFC card to tide us over until then. It’s not really packed with big-names, or big-event fights, other than the main event, but it looks like it should be an exciting and entertaining card nonetheless. Well, let’s get to it:

Joe Doerksen (25-5) vs. Joe Riggs (18-5)

I’ve never seen either of these fighters fight, but they’ve both got quite a lot of hype building, both a on a roll of late, and both reportedly love to stand and bang it out. I’ll say Doerkson takes it, by TKO in round 2.

Chris Lytle (14-10-4) vs. Ronald Jhun (22-11-2)

Another fighter I’ve never seen has a rising reputation is Ronald Jhun, on a five fight win streak I believe, and is also a heavy hitter. He’s facing Chris Lytle, who has a mediocre record, but you wouldn’t notice it by the way he’s been fighting lately, having given Robbie Lawler a close fight that I thought he should have won, then choking out Pete Spratt and Tiki Ghosn (who has a win over Jhun). Jhun is a dangerous opponent, but Lytle is on a roll, and I say he takes it by sub in round 2.

Mike Kyle (7-2) vs. Justin Eilers (8-2-1)

Two heavyweights are here to slug it out. When we last saw Mike Kyle, he had a particularly poor showing against the not-quite-skilless-but-close Wes Sims, who took the fight on one day’s notice. Kyle had to bite Sims to relieve a choke, and then only KO’ed Sims because Sims was confused on the restart. So, needless to say, I’m not terribly impressed by Mike Kyle. I’ll say that Eilers wins by KO in the third.

Yves Edwards (19-8-1) vs. Josh Thomson (7-0)

Yves is an excellent striker who is also well-rounded, having good submissions, and sub-defence. Thompson is undefeated, but his win over Hermes Franca was very controversial. Edwards’ own recent win over Franca was also hotly disputed by fans, and he didn’t look particularly impressive in that fight. I think Edwards will win the fight by decision.

Nick Diaz (9-2) vs. Karo Parisyan (10-3)

This fight is one of the prelims, which means we might not get to see it on the PPV. If that is the case, I’m going to go on a rage-filled rampage, because this fight could be awesome. This fight is basically the welterweight division’s two best submission fighters going at it. The Cesar Gracie-trained Diaz versus the crazy Judo styling of Parisyan. This could really go either way. I think Diaz has the advantage in the stand-up, but I see this fight going to the ground. I’ll say that Parisyan wins by sub, but I won’t be disappointed or surprised if it goes the other way.

Matt Lindland (11-2) vs. David Terrell (9-1)

David Terrell has had quite a lot of hype surrounding him, as some on the internet are comparing him to BJ Penn’s quick rise to the top of the MMA world. He’s certainly drawn tough competition in his first UFC bout, going up against Olympic silver medallist and widely ranked #1 fighter in the Middleweight division, Matt Lindland. It is interesting to note that Lindland has said that his gameplan is to stand and outstrike Terrell, a surprise coming from the wrestling-oriented Lindland, and perhaps suggesting Lindland may indeed be worried by Terrell’s submission game. I still think Lindland’s experience in the big show will help him to pull through. Lindland by decision.

Chuck Liddell (13-3) vs. Vernon White (20-25-2)

Chuck Liddell once again shows why he is the ultimate competitor. He could have simply sat back and waited for the result of the Couture/Belfort fight, knowing he’d have a title shot at the winner. But that’s not Chuck Liddell. Chuck Liddell is a fighter, and he wants to fight. So Chuck is taking a risky fight, since if he loses, he puts his #1 contender status in jeopardy. But don’t worry, because he’s not going to lose. Vernon White is a tough fighter, no doubt, but he’s just not A-class. His record is unimpressive, and he just doesn’t have the tools to beat Liddell. Look at Liddell’s losses. He was subbed by Jeremy Horn. Vernon White doesn’t have anywhere near Horn’s sub skills, so submission is far from a threat. Chuck was outwrestled by Couture, but even managed to reverse Couture a couple of times. Vernon White doesn’t have anywhere near the wrestling skills of Couture, or Liddell for that matter. And Liddell was beaten by strikes by Quentin Jackson. Even in that loss, Liddell showed his granite chin. He took tons of shots by
Jackson, but was never “out”, or wobbly, but rather it was the culmination of the pounding that exhausted and overwhelmed him. Vernon White doesn’t have the striking skills of Quentin Jackson either. Chuck Liddell is better in every area than White. Chuck knocks people out, and he will knock out White, in round 3.

UFC Light-Heavyweight Championship Bout:

Randy Couture (12-6) vs. Vitor Belfort (12-3)

Well, after the incredible let-down of Belfort-Couture 2 back in January, we finally (hopefully) get to see this match unfold and a real winner crowned. Vitor as always will be dangerous. He has explosive strikes which can overwhelm an opponent at any moment, and also has a skilled submission game, though that has not really been very evident in his MMA career. Then there is Couture, the grand old man of MMA. An outstanding wrestler who flawlessly uses his boxing skills to put his opponents off balance and set up his take downs, I believe that Couture will be too much for Belfort. I don’t think Belfort can put Randy out standing, and I don’t think he will be able to catch him in a sub. The only chance Belfort has is Randy’s age. The man is practically supernatural to be dominating his division at the age of 41, and you have to think that age will catch up to him sometime. In fact, I believe that the only thing that will stop Couture will be
when his age limits his performance. But I do not believe that time is tonight. Couture will win, by TKO stoppage in round 4.

I hope the thread doesn't drop, because I'm taking off and won't be able to bump it again before the fights start.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I like MMA quite a bit, so I'll issue a bump. Don't watch TV, though, and especially not PPV, so I won't be seeing any of these matches until...later.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
While I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Pride event more, tonight's show should be pretty solid. Although I like Couture, I'm going to be pulling for Vitor just because I'd like to see him finally live up to his potential. He had some stumbles there in the past couple years and I really hope he's put them behind him. That said, he's got a tough fight ahead of him. To win, he's pretty much got to keep it standing and I don't know if takedown defense has ever been one of his strongpoints.

Also, by the way, it's "Quinton." ;)

Boogie

My bad, Minotauro, usually I double check my spelling, but I was in a rush ;)

Anyway, fifteen minutes till fight time, so

*bump*

Couture beats Belfort via decision. Definitely. Randy is better standing, even though he isn't as dynamic. He'll win this one again. Go Rannnndy.

Asbel

I want to pick Couture but Vitor means business this time, training in isolation for 2 months for the first time in his career (which really shows his level of respect for Couture). Assuming this is the best Vitor ever, I can't call either a favorite. I'm hoping for a close exciting match-up and not a totally dominate performance by either.

Minotauro

Man, this was definitely the night for striking fans. Seriously, I don't know if I've ever seen a MMA event with more knockouts.

That said, Couture/Vitor went pretty much the way I figured it would. Under UFC rules, Couture is just too dominant. Their rules totally favor wrestlers. Once Couture gets you in a clinch against the ropes, it's basically over. In my opinion, the UFC should alter their rules in some way. One possibility is to allow people to grab the fence. It's never made sense to me how a fighter can utilize the fence as a means to corner their opponent but the opponent can't use it to stand up.

Either way, you really can't fault Couture for taking advantage. If Chuck hopes to beat him, he's really going to have to try to keep distance between them...something that Vitor just couldn't do tonight.

As far as Couture/Silva, that's really one that could go either way. Honestly, I really think it has everything to do with where the fight takes place. Either way, I really can't see it happening. DSE isn't going to let Silva fight in UFC and I highly doubt Dana will let the LHW belt go.

NLB2

Banned
I haven't payed attention to UFC in quite some time. The entire Tank Abbot era really through me off where they had a bunch of fat asses with no talent pummelling each other. Have there been any really skilled fighters since Belfort and Coulture started fighting?

Oh yeah. They have to allow elbows to the back of the head.

Minotauro

NLB2 said:
I haven't payed attention to UFC in quite some time. The entire Tank Abbot era really through me off where they had a bunch of fat asses with no talent pummelling each other. Have there been any really skilled fighters since Belfort and Coulture started fighting?

Oh yeah. They have to allow elbows to the back of the head.

The sport has grown leaps and bounds since the day of Tank Abbot. He actually still fights on occasion but hasn't won in six years.

I'm not sure what your last comment means. Are you saying that elbow strikes SHOULD be allowed to the back of the head? In the current rule set, shots to the back of the head are disallowed period.

I didn't see the fight, but I heard Randy completely dominated him. He's fantastic.

I also heard that Lidland got KOed super quick.

Cuchk/Vernon fight was supposed to be a barn burner.

Minotauro

Biff Hardbody said:
I didn't see the fight, but I heard Randy completely dominated him. He's fantastic.

I also heard that Lidland got KOed super quick.

Cuchk/Vernon fight was supposed to be a barn burner.

Yeah, Randy did pretty much dominate him. Pretty much every round, Randy would back Vitor into a corner, get into the clinch, wrestle him to the ground, and proceed to lay elbow after elbow into his forehead. By the end of the fight, Couture's white trunks and tape were pink from all the blood pouring out of Vitor. It was really quite sad.

Yeah, I couldn't believe Lindland went down that fast. Usually, he has a pretty solid chin. This must not have been his night. Regardless, for a submission guy, Terrell has some impressive strikes.

White and Liddell was only a barn burner in that Vernon took a ton of punishment and just refused to give up. I swear, at least three times during the round, Chuck was pounding him from top while Vernon just covered up. Somehow, each time, he was able to escape. He showed a lot of heart.

Thanks for the recap. I had heard Vernon rocked Chuck briefly at one point.

Randy just does that shit to people, man. He slowly, methodically breaks them down. He isn't as explosive or dynamic as Fedor, so his fights go allot longer. But, there's no denying the mans greatness. He just breaks his opponents down. Outplays them, outlasts them...fights so smart.

Asbel

I only got to hear and read the pbp but Vitor came off disappointing. :/ Well, Vitor/Tito would still be cool.
Minotauro said:
As far as Couture/Silva, that's really one that could go either way. Honestly, I really think it has everything to do with where the fight takes place. Either way, I really can't see it happening. DSE isn't going to let Silva fight in UFC and I highly doubt Dana will let the LHW belt go.
But doesn't Silva coming into the ring with the Pride belt make you wonder? Also, Chuck didn't call out Silva like he always does. Dana probably asked Chuck not to cuz Dana planned the 'unification challenge' at the end. So I'm thinking at least Dana would like it to happen but yeah, it's still a dream match right now.

Minotauro

Biff Hardbody said:
Thanks for the recap. I had heard Vernon rocked Chuck briefly at one point.

Now that you mention it, there was a moment somewhat toward the end where Chuck looked woozy. He quickly recovered and, seeing as how he was punching Vernon around the octagon during the rest of the fight, it didn't really stick out in my mind.

Asbel, you do have a point. Then again, there just seems like there's entirely too many things they'd have to work out to make it happen. From venue to money to subsequent defenses to rules, they have a lot to grapple with. More likely, I could see an exhibition match between the two champs taking place sometime in the future. It probably won't happen anytime soon though. Silve has Rampage in October and then he's supposed to fight one of the Big 3.

NLB2

Banned
Minotauro said:
The sport has grown leaps and bounds since the day of Tank Abbot. He actually still fights on occasion but hasn't won in six years.

I'm not sure what your last comment means. Are you saying that elbow strikes SHOULD be allowed to the back of the head? In the current rule set, shots to the back of the head are disallowed period.
Thanks for the info. As for the last comment, someone said there should be a rule change because the rules were allowing for wrestlers to dominate strikers. Elbows to the back of the head would help the strikers out a lot.

Boogie

Awesome event. Some random thoughts:

Vernon White has heart! Chuck kept knocking him down, but Vernon kept getting up. Crazy.

Yves Edwards' high kick knockout was INSANE! That was incredible.

I loved Couture calling Silva out and having the two face off in the cage. Silva seemed to get a huge pop from the crowd too, which was a bit of a surprise to me, what with Pride probably not being quite as well known in the States.

I know the unification fight will probably never happen, and that there's too many difficulties and complications in trying to make it happen, but when those two stood in the ring together, both of them obviously wanting the fight to happen, I can't help but think that just maybe, it might be able to be set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom