• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston to hate groups You're not welcome to rally here

TyrantII

You have a few Sullys from Southie who give the town a bad name, but it's probably one f the greatest in the country.

The Sully's don't live in Southie anymore. They were forced to move to Brockton.

Boston had a history because of the violence that broke out with bussing, and racists sure did capitalize on it. Now a days over racism is confined to one off Meatheads you'd encounter anywhere in the USA that travel into the city, or the headcases that no one provides mental healthcare for.

You should read about the desegregation/forced busing of the Boston school district in the late 70s/early 80s. You'd probably think it was something in the South if you didn't know any better.

There's not a city in this country - big or small - that doesn't have an ugly history with racism.

I know about that, and racism is an issue deep rooted into this country, I agree, but threads about LA, NYC, and other very liberal leaning cities don't have their racist histories constantly brought up in every thread those cities get talked about.

I admit this thread was definitely going to have those mentions so I shouldn't be so sensitive knowing that, but every thread about Boston has those jabs no matter the topic it seems.

lightus

The south is heavily conservative (and deserves a lot of the criticism thrown its way) so that comparison doesn't really work for me. Boston is heavily liberal. It definitely gets singled out more so than most other liberal cities/areas here on GAF.

There were people making jokes about NK nuking Florida in the "Richard Spencer reserved space at the University of Florida" thread even though UF is pretty liberal and Alachua County is blue in a sea of red.

It sucks but people on the Internet love their drive by one liners.

joe2187

Banned
DHOkEH9V0AEy_4A.jpg:large

Seriously.

It's fun to poke fun at a city and state that are ahead of many in the game on what should be a more important issue than "poking fun"?

?

Yes, most particularly when it comes to fans of Boston sports, many of which that I personally know (and there are many) who are annoying assholes.

So, yeah, some fun has been had. It's also not that serious.

There were people making jokes about NK nuking Florida in the "Richard Spencer reserved space at the University of Florida" thread even though UF is pretty liberal and Alachua County is blue in a sea of red.

It sucks but people on the Internet love their drive by one liners.

Yeah that is pretty terrible, I'll admit.

The only thing I will say is Boston isn't just one area of MA that is liberal. Most of MA is blue (and this extends to most of New England). I'm not even sure there is a county that is red in this state, but I can't remember really right now. Anyway, you would think the opposite reading posts here.

?

Yes, most particularly when it comes to fans of Boston sports, many of which that I personally know (and there are many) who are annoying assholes.

So, yeah, some fun has been had. It's also not that serious.

Here I thought people would want politicians strongly denouncing actions taking place at this current moment.
But, nope, got to get that point in.

is boston actually that racist or is this a meme

because fwiw everyone i know from there is extremely liberal

and yes yes I know liberals can be racist too

living in boston, i find that most people i talk to are liberal, but it does seem there is a small amount of shitty people too

Here I thought people would want politicians strongly denouncing actions taking place at this current moment.
But, nope, got to get that point in.

I answered his question. I answered yours. You taking offense at that is on you. I'm also 100% appreciative of the message being sent by Mayor. Walsh, because of course.

Boston is still in America and a lot of America is still racist, I think it's fine to point out that we aren't immune to it here. I get being defensive but the moment you try to say "not here" you're making a mistake. You have to acknowledge that and be aware of it or you'll never get rid of it.

Boston is great, Marty is a good mayor and the city is and should strive to be an example for other places in the country.

Jag

In an unrelated story, dozens of alt-right/Nazi/white supremacy rally organizers across the country have quietly repackaged their events into pro-Trump campaign rallies.

That may work for them. Hell, I wouldn't put it past Trump to show up at one of their rallies if his name was used.

Regarding Boston. It has a fairly racist history and some recent dark spots. The statements by the current government were good and were strong.

ZeoVGM

Banned
is boston actually that racist or is this a meme

because fwiw everyone i know from there is extremely liberal

and yes yes I know liberals can be racist too

It's ignorant bullshit. There are racists everywhere in America. Boston definitely has a history and there are still terrible people there, just like there are terrible people in other liberal strongholds. (And as you said, liberals can be racist too.)

It's gross that people are using this to take shots at the city whose leaders are standing up against white supremacy far stronger than the country's president is. Not the time for that "hurrr Boston" ignorance. Focus on the Nazis.

KHarvey16

living in boston, i find that most people i talk to are liberal, but it does seem there is a small amount of shitty people too

Yup, they stand out more because of the sharp contrast with their surroundings. They're a tiny minority.

If these rallies go forward it'll be made clear who there's more of.

JABEE

You should read about the desegregation/forced busing of the Boston school district in the late 70s/early 80s. You'd probably think it was something in the South 20 years earlier if you didn't know any better.

There's not a city in this country - big or small - that doesn't have an ugly history with racism.

And I'm sure there were plenty of "liberals" against bussing as well.

All major northeast cities have had their own integration/racism issues, Boston being primarily troublesome.

Being a "liberal," enlightened city does not make you immune to bigotry and institutional racism.

"The people of old Mississippi
Should all hang their heads in shame
I can't understand how their minds work
What's the matter don't they watch Les Crane?
But if you ask me to bus my children
I hope the cops take down your name
So love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

The Kree

Banned
I love this.

What makes me mad is we're only going to see these kinds of messages from leaders in a handful of places around the country. This country is red as fuck.

For these people who are currently in these type of rallies and movements, where are they employed, what do they do for a living? Do they include their groups as part of their LinkedIn profile, If so what kind of companies or employers would hire them?

I love this.

What makes me mad is we're only going to see these kinds of messages from leaders in a handful of places around the country.

And in this thread, it's apparently more important to take pot-shots based on the past than focus on what was said today.

ZeoVGM

Banned
But where are Pats fans going to gather to watch their games?

Calling people Nazis because of the sports team they like is really funny a couple days after actual Nazis marched on a town and murdered a woman.

Hilarious.

There are still issues with racism in Boston. Clearly. Calling people Nazis because they like a football team is bullshit.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Well this might remove the need to go to the counter protest I was going to attend.

I'm curious to see what the city is like on Saturday. I was already going there for the Sox/Yankees game but I believe that's later than the Nazi shit was planned for.

And hopefully this shuts it down completely.

Aaron

I love this.

What makes me mad is we're only going to see these kinds of messages from leaders in a handful of places around the country. This country is red as fuck.
Should be mentioned that Charlie Baker is a Republican, and somehow didn't have any problem to condemn hate crimes and acts of terrorism. But then he has supporters who aren't racists.

Somnid

For these people who are currently in these type of rallies and movements, where are they employed, what do they do for a living? Do they include their groups as part of their LinkedIn profile, If so what kind of companies or employers would hire them?

They do all sorts of things, they're regular people on the outside. Hell, there was the misogynist dude who got fired from Google last week. But there's plenty of things you aren't going to list on your LinkedIn because you understand that there is a sort of minimum acceptable culture that your public self must abide by. That's why the Klan masks were invented in the first place.

low-G

So white supremacists response to conflict, is the destruction of holocaust memorials. To prove that they aren't white supremacists..?

They're out of hiding and they're losing, so some will definitely lash out. Their entire pretense had no self-reflection, understanding, or even intelligence. Don't expect planning out of actual idiots.

TyrantII

Should be mentioned that Charlie Baker is a Republican, and somehow didn't have any problem to condemn hate crimes and acts of terrorism. But then he has supporters who aren't racists.

He's actually been trying to purge the state party of the Teahadists / Nazis. He's also a son of the state and loves it dearly, even if he's still a confused Republican pining for the old New England flavor of that broken ideology.

Lynn616

So you don't want to bother taking 5 seconds to do any research.

"Just asking questions," right?

I did research and nothing showed for "Boston Free Speech" group. I did see everyone in the thread knew they were a hate group thus my question on how they knew.

nynt9

So you don't want to bother taking 5 seconds to do any research.

"Just asking questions," right?

Yep. That poster has been defending the rights of nazis in every thread on these matters lately, so them conveniently not being able to find any info on the nazis in question here is pretty... interesting.

DHDNu9eXgAUSrpa.jpg:large

I be they can't even find any info on these individuals listed here!

Top Bottom