• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boycott? What kind of pressure could western Sega fans put on to at least have a Saturn Mini?

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I don't think it is necessary. The console can be easily emulated nowadays. I owned a Sega Saturn, and I loved it. I emulate games from time-to-time, but a dedicated console for it would be, in my opinion, pointless since a Raspberry Pi can play Sega Saturn games as well as games for other older consoles.

EDIT: Here's a mini-PC that could easily be used for emulation:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B2RHXLDK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Currently it is $230, and it should perform very well as an emulation machine for Sega Saturn and other retro consoles.

Last edited:

Three

None, it's architecture is so ridiculously complex that we got a fully functioning PS3 emulator running games in 4K before we got Saturn games running at full speed. It's just not worth the effort for them, and even if it was at that point just buy an original Saturn and a drive emulator to save yourself the hassle.
What if the reason we didn't get good saturn emulation is because nobody can be assed to emulate it?

To be frank when it comes to Saturn I can't think of anything for it that hasn't had better official releases elsewhere.

HoodWinked

Normie Gamers are trash and don't appreciate the Sega Saturn thus no market for the mini.

But that's also the other problem is the ones with finer tastes for games are already experienced in methods of playing the Saturn catalog via actual hardware or emulation and finding/ripping ROMs.

Last edited:
I don't think it's easy to emulate this chip salad that was the Saturn, I still don't understand how it could be done so badly, things from the Sega of the 90s.

YYY5HMKSJJIDBB6JMTBEENEXA4.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't think it's easy to emulate this chip salad that was the Saturn, I still don't understand how it could be done so badly, things from the Sega of the 90s.

YYY5HMKSJJIDBB6JMTBEENEXA4.jpg
Ugh, stop making me bump a stupid thread with more stupid shit. What do you even make of that photo? What are you implying based on just how it looks? It's a pretty tidy design that looks absolutely fine for what it is. How is that soc looking worse than say, the PlayStation's first one:
Sony-PlayStation-SCPH-1000-Motherboard-Top.jpg

Or later models?
PSX-SCPH-5001-Motherboard.jpg

That's not how shit works. And Saturn emulation is fine the last decade if not two.

Last edited:

alienator

Im good, already have a saturn mini, its called the Misterfpga, accidently, its also a n64 mini, psx mini, snes mini, megadrive mini, and a few 100 arcade boards mini, and all personal computers mini, it runs on a crt if u have one and/or hdmi. fits in your pocket. and its near hardware perfect. recreation and not emulation.

In golden times, developers, journalist gamers posted here. I would really like someone with projection to replicate this content.
even if only in a sarcasm tone, replicates these thoughts as well as reflecting Sega's disrespect towards fans in the West

I think Sega fans deserve better. They deserve to be heard, for example.

Just get Retrotink, it does quite a great job and you can use it with different consoles.

Well, the 2X seems affordable and a good entry point.

20 Games

Xmen vs street fighter
Vampire Savior
Street Fighter zero 3
MK Trilogy
Groove on Fight
astra superstars
kof 97
golden axe the duel
Samurai Shodown 4
Real Bout Special

fighters megamix
virtua fighter kids
last bronx
Dead or Alive
Toshinden

Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Sega Rally
Daytona CE
Resident evil

Oh it would take a total of 50 games :messenger_pensive:

If I had to make my own list, I'd leave Toshinden off it. That Saturn version was pretty bad compared to the PS1 one. I'd also probably scale back on some of the 2D fighters and try putting more RPGs, SRPGs, 3D shmups and adventure games on it. Maybe something like this (if limited to say 30 games):

[Fighting]

-VF2
-Dead or Alive
-Street Fighter Alpha 3
-KOF '97
-Fighters Megamix
-Last Bronx

[Action]

-Shinobi X
-NiGHTS
-Clockwork Knight 1 & 2
-Bulk Slash
-Keio Flying Squadron 2

[RPG]

-Shining Force 3 Scenarios 1-3
-Dragon Force
-Dragon Force 2
-Grandia
-Shining The Holy Ark
-Panzer Dragoon Saga
-Lunar: SSS
-Lunar: EB
-Sakura Taisen
-Soul Hackers

[Adventure]

-Resident Evil
-Deep Fear
-Power Slave

[Arcade/Racing/shmup]

-G.Darius
-Radiant Silvergun
-Sega Rally
-Sega Touring Car Championship (w/ QoL control improvements)
-Speed Racer
-Panzer Dragoon Zwei

I'd want a selection highlighting the system's strengths but also spotlighting areas it's perceived as not being great in. There are a lot of really good JRPGs & SRPGs on Saturn, for example, and most people don't know about them. Most people don't think much of the system in terms of first-person games, so why not put arguably the best one (Power Slave) in the collection?

There is no "pressure" that will push Sega to release a Saturn Mini. They've already addressed the reasons why they will not be releasing one.

Modern Sega is not the same company as 90's Sega. They do not care about their legacy. They are not interested in taking risks anymore. I was done waiting for them to re-release their classic Saturn and arcade stuff a long time ago. The full library can be compiled on a hard drive running on Terra Onion-modded Saturn console. Dreamcast is covered too. As for the arcade stuff; all of the games I care about are emulated near-perfectly. Saturn emulation has also advanced too as previously pointed out. The level of attention that Saturn has received from die-hard Sega fans is ridiculous. There are even fan translations of Japan-only games like Symphony of the Night and Bulk Slash available. All of my Sega wishes have pretty much been fulfilled by the online Sega community.

I do not endorse piracy, but people are gonna do what they are gonna do to preserve classic works of art, and that includes video games. If Sega ever get their heads out of their asses, I will gladly drop the cash for official re-releases. Being the collector that I am, I've bought all of their Genesis/ Mega-Drive collections since PS2 days along with their minis. But if they don't want my (nor other Sega fans') money, that's their problem and not mine since all of their classic games are easily accessible.

Well, SEGAGAGA is still without an English translation, as are a few Saturn games like Virus. But outside of that yeah, most of the main ones have been translated and are playable.

Sega recently brought back someone from the Dreamcast era to replace Nagoshi, so that is positive movement. Might be the reason the Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi projects have come about. Though WRT their legacy there is a lot more Sega could be doing; hopefully there are sequels to SoR4 and Sonic Mania in the works.

I'd want a selection highlighting the system's strengths but also spotlighting areas it's perceived as not being great in. There are a lot of really good JRPGs & SRPGs on Saturn, for example, and most people don't know about them. Most people don't think much of the system in terms of first-person games, so why not put arguably the best one (Power Slave) in the collection?
Playstation has always been the challenge. Sony launched PS Classic Mini with 20 games they appears to have classified the games according to commercial importance, but games such as Crash, SotN, Tomb Raider and Gran Turismo were missing.

2 fighting games, 3 puzzles, 3 rpg, 2 racing games, 2 2d adventure games, 1 3d platform,1 FPS,1 TPS, 1 snowboarding and 4 games that I don't know how to classify MGS, GTA, RE, Twisted metal.

I don't think Sega would choose their games based on commercial performance, on the Genesis mini games were chosen based on the console's identity and exclusivity. Perhaps the same would happen with a hypothetical Sega Saturn Mini. there would be few third-party games.

The real problem is that they don't listen to us. If Playstation Classic Mini sold around 200,000 units at a price of $100 (a flop) a Sega Saturn Mini has the potential to sell over 500,000 at a price of $149 for sure.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Op must have broken a new record. Just dunno if is the most entitled gamer or most delusional.

Consumers can reject what companies offer, but they can't make companies offer anything. Wanna Force Sega to do something? The only way is buying majority controlling shares. Is that so hard to understand?

Kyo

That said, some of the titles I like best are now out on later consoles. Radiant Silvergun, the Cotton games and Elevator Action Returns.
Whoa, I totally missed that we got a new version of Elevator Action Returns! Gotta check that out, loved the arcade game and have long regretted never buying the Saturn version (which is selling for lots of money these days).

Last edited:

cireza

Whats the Saturn's killer app that would make casual players to spend $100+ on a mini console?
Thankfully every single product in the world does not have to appeal to casuals. This the reason why we can still have some quality products.

Drew1440

Why not just make your own with a Raspberry PI and a custom shell, or just use an Android console instead like the Nvidia Shield. Yaba Sanshiro has good compatability with most titles and plays well on a ARM A57 CPU.

In my opinion, Jet Set Radio is only returning because of fans insistence on asking for JSRF, so Sega chose to make a new game, because from a commercial perspective Virtua Fighter 6 was the most conservative path.

Another concern we should have is knowing what system the five games will run on. This is still very nebulous.

In my opinion, Saturn games have aged like sour milk and I can't imagine them appealing to many people outside of the hardcore fans from back in the days (how many is that?)

If Sega thought it would be worth the time, money and effort for them to make a profit from it they would have done it, simple as that.

Last edited:
You couldn't apply enough pressure on Sega. What you're asking is like expecting a man missing 9 digits to squeeze a zit on his forehead.
I think it depends, if any relevant YouTuber takes the lead, I would tag Sega on Twitter, they wouldn't ignore our existence. I say Saturn Mini symbolically, I don't think it's fair for us to buy Sonic so with the profit they make Virtua Fighter 3, WDC and many others just for the Japanese since the biggest revenue comes from the West. I know the arguments, I just don't accept them as truth. They canceled Hyenas and lost $100 million so how difficult is it for them to make a box with SOC and sell it to us? there is only ill will in them.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That's what I did back in the day and, no issues. Not even a lot of RAM (2 GB IIRC) and integrated graphics.

Just had to make sure not many other things were running in the background. No web browsing video, for example.

Panzer Dragoon Saga code was never really "lost", that was just a long-running myth. Got (pseudo) debunked a few years ago by Futatsugi himself:

Basically, between the game being finished and being mastered for print he left Sega, so he wouldn't have known what happened to the code. While they jokingly talk about the code being "discovered", I don't think they would say that without knowing the source code was in fact still around. At least, IMO.

Although for a simple remaster they wouldn't need the source code anyway. It's something like a remake where that would be a potential requirement. The studio that remade Panzer Dragoon and Zwei mentioned they were planning to do a remake for Saga as well. I'd assume they have access to the source code, in order to attempt such a remake.

Granted I think that studio's ran into some problems lately dev-wise on other projects so that could make a remake by them, less likely.

I was trying to think of a game that Bluepoint should be working on right now, and yea it's this one.

Deerock71

I think it depends, if any relevant YouTuber takes the lead, I would tag Sega on Twitter, they wouldn't ignore our existence. I say Saturn Mini symbolically, I don't think it's fair for us to buy Sonic so with the profit they make Virtua Fighter 3, WDC and many others just for the Japanese since the biggest revenue comes from the West. I know the arguments, I just don't accept them as truth. They canceled Hyenas and lost $100 million so how difficult is it for them to make a box with SOC and sell it to us? there is only ill will in them.
The Saturn was a complete bust, so I believe Sega DOES have ill will towards it.

Anbernic proved Sega's denial of a Saturn Mini is ideological, the director in question lies as he has other plans for the brand. I never believed that the inventors of the Saturn, wouldn't be able to make one in 2022/2023.

Now If the company makes a Saturn mini, my interest has reduced a lot due Anbernic, I no longer know if I would buy it, in short the Sega let the hype horse pass. The best thing is to pressure them for better products, too much effort for too little is foolish.

Poplin

boycotts wont lead to new products, you'd need to have some form of collective commitment to pre-order with a massive number of signatures. or get saturn mini trending regularly. only clear demand will justify the investment to create and release it.

Top Bottom