• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Israel launches Operation Protective Edge against Hamas in Gaza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twitter-Operation-Protective-Edge.jpg

IDF’s Operation “Protective Edge” Begins Against Gaza
Israeli Defense Forces announced early Tuesday the launching of Operation "Protective Edge," aimed at curbing the capability of Gazan militants to attack Israel with rocket fire.

The decision came after over 80 rockets fired from Gaza hit southern Israel since 17:00 GMT Monday. For first time since the 2012 operation Pillar of Defense some were fired to a farther range of 40 kilometers. Sirens alerting of incoming rockets were also heard in central Israel. Iron Dome Missile Defense System intercepted 16 rockets.

Israel's security cabinet on Monday afternoon approved a call up of 1,500 military reservists to be deployed along the Gaza border. In an emergency meeting that lasted three hours, the cabinet also decided to order the Israeli Air Force (IAF) to intensify its strikes on Gaza.

Hamas' armed wing claimed responsibility for rocket strikes on Israel's southern cities. "Al-Qassam fired dozens of rockets on Netivot and Ashkelon, Ashdod and Ofakim in response to the Zionist aggression," a statement said.

Moreover, in a statement reported in Israeli media early Tuesday, the group's spokesperson Moshir al-Masri announced that "now is not the time for deescalation - it is the time to do the talking on the battlefield."

Israel's Home Front Command ordered to open bomb shelters in the Gaza envelope, Ashkelon, Ashdod and BeerSheba. Residents living up to 40 kilometers from Gaza ordered to stay within 15 seconds distance from bomb shelters. Gatherings of 500 people or more in the Gaza envelope were also banned, for the first time since the operation Pillar of Defense.

Another Home Front directive ordered the closure of summer camps, kindergartens and schools within a 40 kilometer radius of Gaza due to rocket threat.

According to a top official, "The army is ready for the possibility of an escalation. We will intensify the air strikes and prepare the ground. The message to Hamas is clear: unconditional ceasefire. 'Quiet will be met with quiet' is an old quote from Thursday. Today we are ready for an escalation."

The official also said that despite the clashes in the West Bank and east Jerusalem, "we understand that we cannot ignore the situation in Gaza."

The US has condemned Monday evening the rocket fire from Gaza: "We support Israel's right to defend itself," State Department Jen Psaki said. Secretary of State John Kerry talked with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier on Monday and called on both Israel and the Palestinian to show restraint.

Earlier that day, the IAF struck 14 targets in the Gaza Strip, killing nine men identified by the army as Hamas terrorists and wounding ten in two waves of air strikes. Most of the targets were sites from which rockets were fired or being prepared for firing toward Israel.

In the last 48 hours, the IAF struck at least 24 terrorist sites in Gaza, the army said.

The military wing of Hamas reported that seven of the nine terrorists killed were members of its own group. Six were apparently killed when a tunnel bombed in the air strike collapsed on top of them. This was the biggest single loss for Hamas since Israel's ground operation in Gaza in 2012. The other two who were killed in the air raids were members of the Islamic Jihad militant organization.

Searching for more mainstream sources atm.

I like how IDF names their military assaults as reflection of their might, when in reality they are simply raining down missiles on an impoverished, poverty stricken open-air prison.

JordanN

Banned
I like how IDF names their military assaults as reflection of their might, when in reality they are simply raining down missiles on an impoverished, poverty stricken open-air prison.

What kind of prison shoots rockets at neighboring countries?

Also, stop acting like war is ever fair. Are you mad al-Qaeda doesn't have nukes like America?

foxtrot3d

Banned
Jeez I wonder why those Palestinians are so angry.

Well, let's be fair here they did launch a fuck ton of rockets into Israel. Both sides are stupid and are to blame for the current situation. This whole "eye for an eye" policy will just lead to a never ending cycle of retribution.

TxdoHawk

What a disastrous hellhole. I feel bad for the innocents on both sides, victims of a prolonged dispute over glorified patches of dirt and stone-age religious concepts.

I don't believe in a god, but if one exists, he/she/it won't look kindly upon people who perpetrate the death of innocents over petty, worldly bullshit. You'd think that much would be obvious.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
What kind of prison shoots rockets at neighboring countries?

I pass by a prison in my city on a daily basis, yet no bombs are being flung at the U.S.
You prison has probably a roof and while most inmates will probably claim that there are innocent there are not.

That open air prison has some guilty people and a whole lot of children, women and overall not guilty of anything people.

Intifada 3 gonna happen?

If they were wise, they would not do that but it is not easy to control outraged people.
People have said this like 9 times since the last one.

Palestine has everything to lose, so I highly highly doubt it.

Hamas' armed wing claimed responsibility for rocket strikes on Israel's southern cities. "Al-Qassam fired dozens of rockets on Netivot and Ashkelon, Ashdod and Ofakim in response to the Zionist aggression," a statement said.

Moreover, in a statement reported in Israeli media early Tuesday, the group's spokesperson Moshir al-Masri announced that "now is not the time for deescalation - it is the time to do the talking on the battlefield."
This is the best way to prevent any peace deal and empower Bibi and hard liners.

nib95

Banned
Well, let's be fair here they did launch a fuck ton of rockets into Israel. Both sides are stupid and are to blame for the current situation. This whole "eye for an eye" policy will just lead to a never ending cycle of retribution.

Except this isn't true. It's not always an eye for an eye. The fact of the matter is, there have been periods of time where rockets haven't been fired, and all the while Israel has still continued it's illegal expansion in occupying more and more Palestinian land, destroying countless more Palestinian structures, displacing hundreds etc.

All this other stuff is dressing. Israel feed off it. They need it. Because without it, they find it harder to cover up their main objective, which is to keep stealing more and more Palestinian land, and continue to rapidly expand their own settlements.

Darknight

Although Israel faces lots of shit in its territory, I really wish this shit would stop. They never will achieve peace but whatever they do, hope it stays in that region and dont drag anyone else in their crap.

No it doesn't. Maybe try not to act surprised if people lash out after you squeeze their balls for 60 years?

What is this saying? It doesn't 'justify' it but it's to be expected? So say you were the Israel PM, what would you do in this instance?

(my though Israeli probably will disproportionally target places that aren't a direct threat and do things that are unnecessary to their self defense but the very fact of airstrikes strikes me as self defense covered under international treaties and norms)

foxtrot3d

Banned
No it doesn't. Maybe try not to act surprised if people lash out after you squeeze their balls for 60 years?

Because the Israeli's have been entirely without cause to respond in the last 60 years to any Palestinian aggression...

This conflict will just continue so long as each side counts tit for tat what the other side did to them stretching back to the beginning of time. The Israeli government needs to get a hold of its citizens and prevent them from building settlements in Palestinian territory and the Palestinians need to stop launching rockets and other attacks into Israel. But, I don't see this happening anytime soon.

JordanN

Banned
I knew going into this thread would upset me...
For the record, I think Israel does do appalling stuff and dislike seeing war like the next person.

However, I can't tolerate the revisionist history a lot of people seem to have for the Palestinians.

Israel left Gaza in 2005. Why did they declare war against Israel instead of minding their own business?
Yes, Gaza is a sovereign country recognized by the world body with control over its borders, territorial waters and airspace. I hear they're making malls.

nib95

Banned
Israel left Gaza in 2005. Why did they declare war against Israel instead of minding their own business?

A temporary show at best. Israel still retained control over Gaza’s borders, airspace, coastline, infrastructure, power, import and exports and so on. They also increased their presence in the West Bank.

jchap

Both sides share blame for the current situation. I don't see how anyone can say otherwise.

What is this saying? It doesn't 'justify' it but it's to be expected? So say you were the Israel PM, what would you do in this instance?
I'll remove all the illegal settler scum in West Bank, remove Gaza blockade, return E. Jerusalem to the Palestinians and allow all the refugees to return to their lands.

Yes, Gaza is a sovereign country recognized by the world body with control over its borders, territorial waters and airspace. I hear they're making malls.

There is something to be said for its lack of control over its territory but the rhetoric of the blockade and open air prison omits about 1 year and 1/2 of history where there wasn't a blockade and the PA had control. Hamas came into power ended the power sharing and then the blockade was established. (edit there were limits on movement of good but the current blockade that generates so much news was a response to that when it became collective punishment)

there is a question why they chose that path. or why certain actors (hamas) did.

I'll remove all the illegal settler scum in West Bank, remove Gaza blockade, return E. Jerusalem to the Palestinians and allow all the refugees to return to their lands.

Well besides the 'never gonna happen' to the last two I'm asking what do you to respond to rocket fire? not the conflict as a whole.

orochi91

This is way too convenient.

All of this conflict feels orchestrated so that Israel can have a go at Hamas,
something I feel they've been wanting to do since that Palestinian unity
government formed a while back.

There is something to be said for its lack of control over its territory but the rhetoric of the blockade and open air prison omits about 1 year and 1/2 of history where there wasn't a blockade and the PA had control. Hamas came into power ended the power sharing and then the blockade was established.

there is a question why they chose that path. or why certain actors (hamas) did.

I don't get what you mean. Why did Hamas come to power? Or why did Israel blockade Gaza?

And thus the cycle begins again. However, at the end of the day you can't just let people fire 80 rockets into your country and not do anything about it. Yeah they have the Iron Dome but as you can see it only took out 16 of them.

zeroOman

And thus the cycle begins again. However, at the end of the day you can't just let people fire 80 rockets into your country and not do anything about it. Yeah they have the Iron Dome but as you can see it only took out 16 of them.

But .. but what about the killing of the 2 boy and the airstrike Israel did while back?? Does anyone remember?

Exr

Are there any good non partial books about Israel and this issue over the years? Sad that there isn't an end in sight.

I don't get what you mean. Why did Hamas come to power? Or why did Israel blockade Gaza?

Hamas is a political party in the palestinian government. They're more hardcore than fatah which is the PA and party of Arafat and Abbas who came to terms with the existence of Israel.

Israel left and evacuated the strip in 2005. They maintained control of air and sea and movements of good (so they never stopped 'occupying')

There were elections in the territories in 2006 that Hamas won a plurality of.

There was a unity government established but with a lot of friction

In late 2006 things turned sour Hamas didn't really want to work with Fatah and eventually a civil war started with the battle of gaza in 2007 ending it with fatah leaving gaza, Hamas becoming the only power. And most of Hamas leaving the west bank.

As hamas doesn't (didn't?) want anything to do with Israel (their stated goal is its elimination) and had participated in rocket and suicide attacks and kidnappings Israel blockaded and further restricted movement and goods in the entirety of the Gaza. Rockets flew, then 2008 happened.

Are there any good non partial books about Israel and this issue over the years? Sad that there isn't an end in sight.

eh, your not going to get people to agree on that.

There's some good stuff on post 67 but anything about the 49 war (and who is primarily responsible for the refugee problem) will be debated till the end of time.

nib95

Banned
So rather than come to the meeting table and discuss peace, they shot 6,000 rockets at the people of Sderot and kidnapped soldiers?

Doesn't sound right to me.

How are they supposed to? This merry go around Israel offer up with this false premise of peace is just a circus and a false show. There has never been a genuine desire for a peace plan from Israel, just loose or outrageous terms, and backing out of, or often igniting some other reason for talks to break down over and over.

And why would they have it any other way? They have one of the most advanced rocket defence systems in the world, to defend against low grade rockets. They have an advanced satellite system to spy on their adversaries, they have military drones, fighter jets, high spec missiles, aircraft, tanks and equipment, all to fend off rocks and pebbles. And they control Palestinian land, electricity, import-export, supplies, infrastructure and so forth. They have the upper hand in every single instance, and complete and utter control of the situation, to the point where it's the equivalent of a lion fending off a fly.

There is a reason why Israel is fighting tooth and nail to ensure Palestine never gets to become a full UN member state (an abhorrent position in itself), because then suddenly that would give Palestine better global rights and support systems. And puts at risk Israel's continued occupation and expansion of settlements.

There's a great opinion piece touching on this stuff here, from a former Bloomberg News Middle East reporter.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/op...israel-peace-talks-wh-201442484153382938.html

But .. but what about the killing of the 2 boy and the airstrike Israel did while back?? Does anyone remember?
I'm not giving Israel a free pass for what their police force/soldiers did to those people it was just as wrong as the three Israeli teenagers that were brutally murdered. But firing 80 rockets into a country like Israel is not the way you response to that.

I mean what do the Hamas expect to happen? It isn't like this is the first time Israel has responded to rocket fire with airstrikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom