• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit: Spain proposes 'shared sovereignty' over Gibraltar

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to El Pais, Gibraltar voted 95.91% in favor of staying in the EU

Madrid (AFP) - Spain on Friday proposed sharing sovereignty over Gibraltar after Britain voted to leave the European Union, saying it would allow the overseas territory to maintain access to the EU's single market.

"Our formula... is British-Spanish co-sovereignty for a determined period of time, which after that time has elapsed, will head towards the restitution of Gibraltar to Spanish sovereignty," Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo told Spanish radio.

The tiny rocky outcrop nestled on Spain's southern tip has long been a source of friction between London and Madrid, which wants it back under its control centuries after it was ceded to Britain in 1713.

Spain's conservative government, which has been in place since 2011, has been particularly vocal about its desire to see Gibraltar come back into its fold, and the Rock is worried that Brexit will leave it at the mercy of Madrid.

Margallo said the issue of Gibraltar was no longer within the remit of the European Union.

"It is now a bilateral issue that will be negotiated exclusively between the United Kingdom and Spain," he added, saying a solution would have to be found if Gibraltar wanted to keep its access to the EU's single market.

The Rock, as it is known, relies in large part on access to the single market for its thriving economy.

In a tweet, Gibraltar's Chief Minister Fabian Picardo called for calm.

"We have surpassed greater challenges. It is time for unity, for calm & for rational thinking. Together & united we will continue to prosper," he said.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/brexit-spain-proposes-shared-sovereignty-over-gibraltar-073024806.html

Let's take it back by force. If UK responds then the EU will back us, after all UK is not EU anymore.

Make Spain great again.

Yeah guys, that was sarcasm

Time to patch a new flag in Overwatch?

ScreenShot_16-03-23_18-48-53-000.jpg

Chariot

Scotland thinking again about independence.

Northern Ireland thinking about reunification with Ireland.

Spain eyeing Gibraltar.

So, when it Argentine making it's move on the Falkland Islands?

Carcetti

From my experience with Grand Strategy games it seems like UK has left the Euro Blob and the Blob is now using it's de jure claim on this little province.

Coxy100

Banned
Calm down guys it's early days and we shall see. The last vote they had as to whether they wanted to join Spain was something like 99% wasn't it?

yeah maybe that will change now, but if they still want to stay, they will stay.

Dougald

I don't see Gibraltarians going for it

The [British] Government will never - "never" is a seldom-used word in politics - enter into an agreement on sovereignty without the agreement of the Government of Gibraltar and their people. In fact, we will never even enter into a process without that agreement. The word "never" sends a substantial and clear commitment and has been used for a purpose. We have delivered that message with confidence to the peoples and the Governments of Gibraltar and Spain. It is a sign of the maturity of our relationship now that that is accepted as [Britain]'s position.

Pluto

If the UK actually leaves the EU I could see Gibraltar running into Spain's arms. It literally is just a rock, what will they do if they suddenly find themselves outside of the EU?

On the other hand, why would Spain care? It's just a rock ...

Liljagare

Great, so it is going to take 4 hours to get out of Gibraltar again, like pre-EU?!

Was hilarious, never had issues getting in, but going out the Spaniards liked to make it hell.. :p Car lines across the airport.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
If the UK actually leaves the EU I could see Gibraltar running into Spain's arms. It literally is just a rock, what will they do if they suddenly find themselves outside of the EU?

gibraltar is an eyesore on the map when not part of spain. my years with europa universalis have taught me that there is no better casus belli.

Acidote

People in Spain really don't give a fuck about that. But we're deeply worried with the GBP devaluation and our tourism sector.

Having spent a lot of time there, I'm pretty convinced that they'd rather go back to the de-facto island status they had during the Franco years rather than join up as part of Spain. They're "British" to the core. Aside from anything, Britain also wouldn't want to give it up.

kharma45

People in Spain really don't give a fuck about that. But we're deeply worried with the GBP devaluation and our tourism sector.

GBP to Euro has already bounced back somewhat. £1 was €1.25 last time I checked after being €1.20 this morning.

I imagine this will be fixed like the Falklands a couple of years ago.

There will be a referendum in Gibraltar for the options:

-Stay in UK
-Become a shared sovereignty
-Become independent

It's had massive growth over the last 10 or so years, though admittedly a good chunk of that is due to its being part of the EU. As far as the south of Spain goes (or, specifically, that area of the south of Space - Andalucia, Cadiz etc) it's a significant source of jobs, with about 15,000 people crossing the border ever single day. A lot of the jobs are high quality, high skilled service jobs, too (specifically in the finance and gambling industries). If you walk from La Linea into Gib, the difference is like night and day.

We need to get an aircraft carrier down there.

It practically is an air craft carrier, it just can't move. Check it out on Google Maps, see if you notice anything funny about the runway...

decaf

As a Gibraltarian, I can say joint sovereignty is never going to happen. We've dealt with the border being closed before, and we won't be bullied by Spain.

What I don't understand is how Spain doesn't seem to understand the Treaty of Utrecht, nor the irony in wanting Gibraltar back when they took it from the Moors themselves.

decaf

I imagine this will be fixed like the Falklands a couple of years ago.

There will be a referendum in Gibraltar for the options:

-Stay in UK
-Become a shared sovereignty
-Become independent
Becoming independent is not an option due to the Treaty of Utrecht. Gibraltar had a referendum 10 or so years ago with above 99% choosing to stay British. The result today would be the same.

giga

I see no problem with this since Britain is officially a failed state. It would only be proper, for the people of Gibraltar.

Dennis

Banned
Why on earth would the people of Gibraltar choose Spain over Britain?

Not going to happen. Look at the unemployment rate of Spain.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Scotland thinking again about independence.

Northern Ireland thinking about reunification with Ireland.

Spain eyeing Gibraltar.

So, when it Argentine making it's move on the Falkland Islands?
This is actually really bad for the Falklands and they didn't even get to vote!

Seven thousand miles further south, the Falkland Islands Government uses similar language. Their representative has said that Britain leaving the EU could be “catastrophic” for them because nearly three-quarters of their exports go to the EU market, while they are shut out of most of South America by Argentine pressure.

Not only would the Falklands’ export market be in danger, but so would the guaranteed solidarity of all 28 EU member states in recognising British sovereignty over the islands. Whenever an Argentine president launches a new diplomatic drive against the self-determination of the islanders, as the last one did, they receive no hearing at all in European capitals. Remove the obligations to Britain in the European treaties, and a future troublesome president will sense the chance to be bolder.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-be-disastrous-for-the-falklands-gibraltar-a/

Why on earth would the people of Gibraltar choose Spain over Britain?

Not going to happen. Look at the unemployment rate of Spain.
They only border Spain and they rely heavily on trade, this could be a desaster for them.

decaf

I see no problem with this since Britain is officially a failed state. It would only be proper, for the people of Gibraltar.
The people of Gibraltar don't want to be Spanish in the slightest. The average Gibraltarian barely even goes to Spain any more. The border closing is more of an issue for Spanish people who work in Gibraltar, and rich cunts who live in Sotogrande.

Impulsor

The people of Gibraltar don't want to be Spanish in the slightest. The average Gibraltarian barely even goes to Spain any more. The border closing is more of an issue for Spanish people who work in Gibraltar, and rich cunts who live in Sotogrande.

Serious answer.

Reading you I sense some hate, I may be mistaken though.

Why do Gibraltarians hate Spain/spanish ?

decaf

Serious answer.

Reading you I sense some hate, I may be mistaken though.

Why do Gibraltarians hate Spain/spanish ?
I don't hate Spanish people in the slightest. Like any Gibraltarian, I have Spanish relatives and ancestry, and think Spain is a beautiful country full of wonderful, friendly people.

What I hate is how the Spanish government uses Gibraltar to deflect their own problems, and get more right-wing Spaniards to go on about how Gibraltar should be Spanish, when Spain has similar overseas territories they would never give back.

Impulsor

I don't hate Spanish people in the slightest. Like any Gibraltarian, I have Spanish relatives and ancestry, and think Spain is a beautiful country full of wonderful, friendly people.

What I hate is how the Spanish government uses Gibraltar to deflect their own problems, and get more right-wing Spaniards to go on about how Gibraltar should be Spanish, when Spain has similar overseas territories they would never give back.

Then we can be friends. :)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Most Spaniards don't give the smallest fuck about Gibraltar. 99% of the time it's just a rock that happens to be there. There's no reason for the animosity. We don't even pay attention to the government when they try to use it to deflect their problems.

Impulsor

Most Spaniards don't give the smallest fuck about Gibraltar. 99% of the time it's just a rock that happens to be there. There's no reason for the animosity. We don't even pay attention to the government when they try to use it to deflect their problems.

+1.

With no intention of disrespecting Gibraltar and its people, of course.

Here in Spain, Catalonia's independence is also used to deflect the real problems of the country.

I don't doubt it. But the jeering hurts, and the way the Guardia Civil take the absolute piss at the border is not on.

I did not know about this. In any case, and this is psersonal opinion, the Guardia Civil takes the piss on pretty much a lot of things inside the Border too.

And about the jeering? You mean Spanish people make fun of you guys? or Andalusians?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't doubt it. But the jeering hurts, and the way the Guardia Civil take the absolute piss at the border is not on.

If we are talking about the controls, well... that's the GC for you. If we are talking about territorial waters, there are lots of things to discuss about.

As a Spanish and I have to say the Gibraltar thing is not very serious here, people just kneejerk and shout Gibraltar español! around the issue. It's very shallow, petty kind of nationalism. Not that different from the Catalonian issue.

It's kind of pathetic imo, how in this day with the huuge and worrying news of UK leaving Europe, I have heard lots of time in the radio (or even work colleagues comments) about the Gibraltar news, and the possibility of taking sovereignty. UK leaving Europe? That's was secondary.

Vhalyar

I know it's not nice due to affecting people's livelihoods, but I'd sort of be happy with less British tourists in Barcelona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom