• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bush says he's trying to harm America! Hilarious new gaffe

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5613296/

A new 'Bushism': We're gonna get us
The Associated Press
Updated: 1:24 p.m. ET Aug. 5, 2004

WASHINGTON - President Bush offered up a new entry for his catalog of “Bushisms” on Thursday, declaring that his administration will “never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people.”

Bush misspoke as he delivered a speech at the signing ceremony for a $417 billion defense spending bill.

“Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we,” Bush said. “They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”

No one in Bush’s audience of military brass or Pentagon chiefs reacted.

belgurdo

Banned
rumsfeld.jpg

"Goddamnit! Who forgot to check the diagnostics on the robot again?"

Hamfam

That makes sense. Obviously the Bush admin IS thinking about the different ways to harm America, so they can put in measures to prevent it.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Hamfam said:
That makes sense. Obviously the Bush admin IS thinking about the different ways to harm America, so they can put in measures to prevent it.

yeah, as funny as it sounds, it's not hard to figure out. And I'm not a Bush supporter, but you cannot criticize EVERYTHING... lest legitamite criticism is undermined.

xsarien

daedsiluap
levious said:
yeah, as funny as it sounds, it's not hard to figure out. And I'm not a Bush supporter, but you cannot criticize EVERYTHING... lest legitamite criticism is undermined.

That said, it was very poor wording. It takes a few moments to figure out what he may have been trying to say, and in this ADD culture, that doesn't fly.

Doth Togo

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&u=/nm/20040805/ts_nm/bush_misspeak_dc_2&printer=1

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites) told a roomful of top Pentagon (news - web sites) brass on Thursday that his administration would never stop looking for ways to harm the United States.

The latest installment of misspeak from a president long known for his malapropisms came during a signing ceremony for a new $417 billion defense appropriations bill that includes $25 billion in emergency funding for operations in Iraq (news - web sites) and Afghanistan (news - web sites).

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we," Bush said.

The Republican incumbent, who is in a tight race for reelection against Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites), a decorated Vietnam veteran, used the 11-minute presentation to underscore his commitment to U.S. troops.

On hand for the ceremony were Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz and Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
actually, what was he trying to say?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Hamfam said:

That hard to figure out?

Suikoguy said:

That terroists are being innovative and resourceful to hurt the US, and that his admistration is being innovative and resourceful in trying to stop the terroists, but he forgot that last part.

Mustang

Banned
I was waiting for another Bush Bash thread.

Whats it been, about 5 minutes since the last one?

How about a sticky where everything can be consolidated so as to not pollute the rest of the board.

Just a thought. :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Mustang said:

Whats it been, about 5 minutes since the last one?

How about a sticky where everything can be consolidated so as to not pollute the rest of the board.

Just a thought. :)

once he stops giving us armchair comedians so much material?

Iceman

You guys do realize he speaks without notes right?

Cripes, guys, who else does that?

Its kinda laughable that you guys would be chomping at the bit waiting for gaffes from a guy who is constantly ad lib'ing.

Socreges

Banned
Iceman said:

Its kinda laughable that you guys would be chomping at the bit waiting for gaffes from a guy who is constantly ad lib'ing.
...?

Don't get your panties in a bunch, Mary. Laugh it off.

3phemeral

Iceman said:

He doesn't use a teleprompter at all?

Greekboy

Banned
Iceman said:

They should get him an earpiece and notes stat. A ventriloquist would suffice as well.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Adlibbing during speeches (however risky and unadvised) is one thing.

Adlibbing as a government, however, is something else entirely.

kablooey

levious said:

I agree. This isn't it worth it.

Iceman

Hey, I just respect anyone who can speak off the cuff about important matters. It comes off as less calculated, more honest and its really hard to do. It's what I strive for when I have to speak in public and it requires tons of preparation. And even with all that prep time and practice I occassionally spew out some horrible lines that make me sound retarded... I'd hate for people to #1 judge me based on my gaffes and #2 ONLY remember the gaffes out of my whole talk/what I thought was important for people to get out of my talk.

Hamfam

Iceman said:
Hey, I just respect anyone who can speak off the cuff about important matters. It comes off as less calculated, more honest and its really hard to do. It's what I strive for when I have to speak in public and it requires tons of preparation. And even with all that prep time and practice I occassionally spew out some horrible lines that make me sound retarded... I'd hate for people to #1 judge me based on my gaffes and #2 ONLY remember the gaffes out of my whole talk/what I thought was important for people to get out of my talk.

What if everything you said was calculated, and you still made the gaffes? -_^

Iceman said:

The reason people care about this is because its not like we haven't heard him say something to this effect a million times. We are gonna beat the enemies, we will win, we will destroy, blah blah blah. If he was actually saying something important at the time and announcing new policies, then yes, I would have looked past this. It was a public signing of a budget bill. GREAT! Its not like he is signing a Civil Rights Act or anything. Hell, the only reason most of us has even heard of this is because of the mess up. Would you have remembered anything he said at the event otherwise?

Iceman

Hamfam said:
What if everything you said was calculated, and you still made the gaffes? -_^

The gaffes come from the questions.

But sometimes since you're basically running off of bullet points on notecards and you have to fill in the blanks.. sometimes you don't remember exactly what you practiced.. and oops.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Mustang said:

Man, I'm tired of this term. Too bad there wasn't any cutesy, rhyming phrase for the complete assault on Clinton's presidency.

Not that I care about Clinton or anything. I'm just trying to point out how the Republicans use buzzwords to completely dodge any criticism that comes Bush's way.

Drensch

Finally Bush stops lying.

And like I've always said, I bet Karl Rove has a heart attack every time the dumbass
speaks.

Hey, I just respect anyone who can speak off the cuff about important matters.

He can't.

----

Banned
“Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we,” Bush said. “They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”

I think people are just reading the statement wrong. I don't think the President misspoke. He's saying that his administration is always thinking of ways that the terrorists may harm the country.

Suikoguy said:
Read above.

While that's probably what he means, the way it's said definitely says that he's looking for ways to harm America as well. He just should have clarified that he's doing this to prevent these things because it definitely doesn't imply that (grammatically speaking anyway, in context it's probably more obvious).

Jim Bowie

Look, Iceman. If Bush gaffes so much when he's speaking "Off the cuff", why doesn't he just use a fucking notecard? I wouldn't blame him. Nobody would blame him. That's just public speaking. If you're going to memorize your speeches, sans notes, fine. Do it. But if you can't do it, get a notecard. And Bush CANNOT do it without saying something stupid.

MIMIC

Banned
3. "16 words"

2. "Mission Accomplished"

1. "....and neither do we."

I love this guy.

I'd start running this quote in a lot of commercials. :D

1. It's not so much that the idiot say stupid things on a daily basis, it's that fucking confused look that he always has. I mean, you're the leader of the most powerful nation in the world and you managed to drag it's ass into a sorry war. At least try to look a bit powerful.

And when he does look confident, it's that shit eating grin that the local office clown gets when one of his jokes actually gets a few chuckles.

2. So the fact that he doesn't use a notes is nothing to be proud off, especially when the person could genuinely use them.

3. The "Bush Bash" threads will end when he gives us a reason for them no to exist.

MoxManiac

ROFL...whether he worded it the way he wanted to and it just means something other than the obvious, that's a riot.

OmniGamer

MIMIC said:
Heard this on another forum: "We're gonna get us."

I love it. :p

A new 'Bushism': We're gonna get us The Associated Press Updated: 1:24 p.m. ET Aug. 5, 2004 WASHINGTON - President Bush offered up a new entry for his catalog of “Bushisms” on Thursday, declaring that his administration will “never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people.” Bush misspoke as he delivered a speech at the signing ceremony for a $417 billion defense spending bill. “Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we,” Bush said. “They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.” No one in Bush’s audience of military brass or Pentagon chiefs reacted.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom