• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calvin Klein: Ad with FKA twigs banned for objectifying women

Trogdor1123

Good grief they photoshopped away her entire jawline!

PDu9F5T.jpg
It looked off to me but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it.

Sonik

All shapes of people who can move actively should be represented... From skinny to the bigger ... Up until the 20th century, bigger women were considered more desirable because the bigger a woman was, the better she knew how to cook. By the 20th century, it was more widely accepted for women to be smaller but still curvy ... By the 60s, Uber skinny was now in thanks to Twiggy, believe it or not.

Now... I don't care. I like who I like and I like them thin AND thick and sometimes bigger. Depends.

What is this urban myth horseshit? Btw what was considered "bigger" back then is now just normal weight, the obese people we have now were considered freaks and were literally put in the circus

Last edited:

nkarafo

Anything that would trigger a feeling of pleasure in a straight man's brain is not allowed in the west.

Anything that would trigger cringe or disgust gets green lit and pushed down on everyone's throats (if it was an obese black woman in the ad, it would be fine).

All these issues pose like something that has to do with women but all this is just a war against straight men. Always has been for a decade now.

Last edited:

tommib

Look, It's been a rough couple of pages.

Can I offer you a fantastic FKA Twigs video in these trying times?

She has dope videos indeed:

What annoys me about this whole thing is how it’s taking agency from Twigs. It’s clear from her artwork and videos that she loves to use her body and is empowered by it. It’s 2023 and she wanted to do an ad for CK. She’s not even a model forced by an agency to go risky in the 70s and get a contract. She’s an artist and a singer.

Whole thing reeks of puritanism against classic western liberal values. It’s idiotic because more than ever the straight man can find women anywhere sexualising themselves online for him. Instagram is a multiverse of sexualised women doing everything to get you to subscribe do their only fans.

Nothing makes any sense.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Her truth being she DOESN’T need another fucking sandwich.

So, if we all speak #OurTruth, then there is no such thing as objective truth, just subjective opinion.

Therefore #OurTruth means... nothing?

Is it needed to point out how nonsensical this all is?

Also; Glanced through those FKA Twigs videos. Nicely done, but that's showcasing a PRODUCT, not an ARTIST.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And thats the reason why popular and fashionable brand name sizes skew smaller. I'm chunky myself (not that fat like the chick in the pic), but I'm typically a L or XL for men's stuff. but if I want to buy a Buffalo or CK tshirt I need to find a 2XL. Buffalo tops are so small 2XL is even snug. And it makes sense because big fashion doesn't want their brand tainted with fatsos.

Also, that's real life skinny FKA in those ads, so isn't it discriminatory to her? They are basically bashing her for being sexy and skinny in ads.

Last edited:
Anything that would trigger a feeling of pleasure in a straight man's brain is not allowed in the west.

Anything that would trigger cringe or disgust gets green lit and pushed down on everyone's throats (if it was an obese black woman in the ad, it would be fine).

All these issues pose like something that has to do with women but all this is just a war against straight men. Always has been for a decade now.

My theory is this is all intentional, at this point. I keep coming back to this conclusion. As disturbing as it sounds.
I refuse to believe any majority are actively voting for this nonsense, let alone WANTING this nonsense. For the most part, normal fucking people just want to be left alone and live life.
Now we have Groups of people empowered by nefarious purposes who impose lifestyle decisions upon us; worse yet in the UK, which I have always felt a testing ground for these policies, before slimming their way to the US/CAN.
I don't want or meant to sound like a conspiracy nut, but... 👀

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My theory is this is all intentional, at this point. I keep coming back to this conclusion. As disturbing as it sounds.
I refuse to believe any majority are actively voting for this nonsense, let alone WANTING this nonsense. For the most part, normal fucking people just want to be left alone and live life.
Now we have Groups of people empowered by nefarious purposes who impose lifestyle decisions upon us; worse yet in the UK, which I have always felt a testing ground for these policies, before slimming their way to the US/CAN.
I don't want or meant to sound like a conspiracy nut, but... 👀
Personally, I think when it comes to companies and gov caving in for stupid stuff from tiny groups of whiners it, it's due to the net giving down in the dumps people a voice and lazy organizations.

Lazy organizations because instead of standing up for themselves, they just want as little hassle as possible, while assuming the common person wont get affected. It's like when I sat by CSR at an old company and CSR would go back and forth trying to make a stand. The second it got escalated to their bosses (which was oddly a marketing manager since our department was small), he gave in every time to get it off his plate. So if someone wanted a new product for somrthing they had for 5 years he'd just green light it. He doesn't want the hassles of more phone calls transferred over from CSR when he's got other things to worry about. And this was before Twitter and FB were even launched yet. So social media wouldnt even be a factor in the marketing manager's decision to say yes as there wasnt cancel culture at the time. Yet he still approved it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So.
It’s not objectifying if the model is obese.
So obese women can‘t be objectified.
Wouldn’t this mean that obese women aren’t recognized as people by these nutjobs? :pie_thinking:
Well to be fair, there's only so many chubby chasers in the world.

Most guys do not think fat women dressed in CK is sexy at all. And if there's a couple were there's fat people, they probably started thin and got fat later in life so they stuck together.

Great looking people in sexy clothes are trying to boost up their looks even more with clothes. Even in grubby sweatpants and no make up they are still good looking. Ugly fat people in sexy clothes are trying to take a shortcut to be better looking. Maybe for some guys it works. Doesn't for me.

GHG

Look, It's been a rough couple of pages.

Can I offer you a fantastic FKA Twigs video in these trying times?

She has dope videos indeed:

What annoys me about this whole thing is how it’s taking agency from Twigs. It’s clear from her artwork and videos that she loves to use her body and is empowered by it. It’s 2023 and she wanted to do an ad for CK. She’s not even a model forced by an agency to go risky in the 70s and get a contract. She’s an artist and a singer.

Whole thing reeks of puritanism against classic western liberal values. It’s idiotic because more than ever the straight man can find women anywhere sexualising themselves online for him. Instagram is a multiverse of sexualised women doing everything to get you to subscribe do their only fans.

Nothing makes any sense.

Just chiming in to say these music videos are awesome.

Good to see there are still people making artistic music videos like this.

Personally, I think when it comes to companies and gov caving in for stupid stuff from tiny groups of whiners it, it's due to the net giving down in the dumps people a voice and lazy organizations.

Lazy organizations because instead of standing up for themselves, they just want as little hassle as possible, while assuming the common person wont get affected. It's like when I sat by CSR at an old company and CSR would go back and forth trying to make a stand. The second it got escalated to their bosses (which was oddly a marketing manager since our department was small), he gave in every time to get it off his plate. So if someone wanted a new product for somrthing they had for 5 years he'd just green light it. He doesn't want the hassles of more phone calls transferred over from CSR when he's got other things to worry about. And this was before Twitter and FB were even launched yet. So social media wouldnt even be a factor in the marketing manager's decision to say yes as there wasnt cancel culture at the time. Yet he still approved it.
I tend to write huge write ups just to delete them after modding myself. So much wasted time over the years, lol.
I had a large write up that I just deleted. I think we're in agreement, however.

Gp1

Afaik ASA is a self regulatory entity so the advertisers themselves pay to be regulated by this "code".

It's not like a governmental authority censoring them, so let the advertising hipsters eat their own tail and feel like they are saving the world from the patriarchy.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
One of life's pleasures is to see one's partner with an attractive body while they are getting dressed in their underwear. I wonder what those "offended" people see at home, or their wife is so ashamed of her body she tells them to look away.

That obese woman billboard, her truth is that that is healthy. All I can think of is that she is slowly euthenising herself.

And marketing companies with their usual, strip a woman naked so she feels "empowered" crock of shit. That isn't the only way to empower people surely.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fat Positivity = Early Death Positivity

As the guy in the video says, a lot of fatties put up a brave face trying to make it look like they enjoy being fat. But on reality it's fake. Whether it's trying to be popular making money off being an internet personality, or they got nothing going on in life and have to put up a facade it doesn't really matter because humans arent meant to be naturally 400 lbs with aching bones and bedridden. Even cavemen living at a time of survival werent evolved to be hulking fatty beasts at birth where the only thing they can do is sit on a tree stump all day since they cant move with their own two feet.

People should just take a look at celebs. When they are fat asses and people make fun the celeb calls them out that being overweight is ok. Next thing you know a year or two later they did a big diet plan, worked out, now look pretty good. What do they do? They get all glammed up in make up and fancy gowns like a new person with the biggest smile ear to ear like they are a new person. Everyone is taking pics and they are going on magazine covers being a transformed person and they love it. They are actually the same person, but lost 100 lbs, but the mentality has done a 180.

Last edited:

Renoir

Do not objectify small woman... only do that to the ones built like a cinder block.
we are officially in the upside down.

jason10mm

Gold Member
1980s boxart was top tier, any website or coffee table book that highlights the best art?
That kind of thing is probably a licensing nightmare due to all the companies and artists.

I've a bunch of single artist specific books though, I think that's about the best you can do outside of single company products like "Best of DnD Art from WOTC" type mixed artist stuff.

Top Bottom