• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

I'm new to Canada and thinking of getting a subscription to a game rental service. Needs to have the newest gen games. Have you guys tried any, if so which do you recommend? I'm in Toronto if it makes any difference. Thanks!

This might be a shot out of my butt, but I could have sworn I've seen a local article here or there mentioning that certain Toronto Public Library locations of all places had video games.

Take it with a grain of salt though. I haven't been to a public library in years.

Audette

Didn't know where else to put this but I saw a price for South Park: Stick of Truth at Toys R Us Canada, $64.99 for 360 & ps3. the employee said he wasn't sure but he wouldn't be surprised if most future release prices are raised higher to match BB/FS/EBG/other retails. :(

I know it's not a deal and I know there is another topic about it but it's misleading as it's title only said ps4. Just wanted to let people know Toys R Us is probably following suit

It's a sad to return to the misaligned pricing of 8 years ago.

edit: it was just the next flyer not the released game.

Didn't know where else to put this but I saw a price for South Park: Stick of Truth at Toys R Us Canada, $64.99 for 360 & ps3. the employee said he wasn't sure but he wouldn't be surprised if most future release prices are raised higher to match BB/FS/EBG/other retails. :(

I know it's not a deal and I know there is another topic about it but it's misleading as it's title only said ps4. Just wanted to let people know Toys R Us is probably following suit

It's a sad to return to the misaligned pricing of 8 years ago.

Yeah I work at Walmart and all new games are $64.99 now and some PS4/Xbone games are even gonna hit $69.99 (Infamous is one of them). Bummer.

Audette

Yeah I work at Walmart and all new games are $64.99 now and some PS4/Xbone games are even gonna hit $69.99 (Infamous is one of them). Bummer.

Somehow I can't help but feel like this encourages less people to buy games day 1 and hinders game sales to a small degree.

Many people I have talked to wait for games on the cheap before taking a plunge. I am not trying to say everybody does that, but a particular casual market does, and they are pushing that market away a little.

but I'm sure economists know all that already.

Somehow I can't help but feel like this encourages less people to buy games day 1 and hinders game sales to a small degree.

Many people I have talked to wait for games on the cheap before taking a plunge. I am not trying to say everybody does that, but a particular casual market does, and they are pushing that market away a little.

but I'm sure economists know all that already.

I'm interested to observe how it affects the sales of our games and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it. What you said is absolutely true for me though. I know its only 5-10$ extra but games were expensive enough already and that extra bit of money adds up. Not buying anything brand new for a long time now.

I called Future Shop today and they honoured the $44.99 price for South Park despite me ordering it shortly after it died.

YMMV!

Was upset there were only 360 versions left however.

I hate to bring up shipping in here (i know that gets everyone including me pretty salty) but I have nowhere else to turn with this question and figured you guys were pretty smart and experienced on this kind of thing.
Back in October I ordered something in which only 500 were made (so I can't get a new one shipped out) from an American company who shipped it out a week or so later. Still haven't received the package. Contacted the company who gave me a tracking label confirming it was shipped and it turns out it went from California to Quebec (I live in Ontario) then back into the US and has been sitting in Chicago since December 13th. I've contacted Canada Post to get mad at them for inexplicably sending it BACK to the US, I've contacted the USPS to get mad at them for keeping something of mine in Chicago for almost 3 months for no reason and I've contacted the company again wanting some form of update and none of those 3 have replied to me and they've all ignored me on Twitter. What do I do CanadaGAF!? Am I basically fucked and out of 100$?

iLLmAtlc

Are you only contacting them on twitter?

You should do something more official like email them or check out their official procedures for getting items not delivered.

I'd start with usps since only they have the power right now to get the package to you.

i-Jest

I hate to bring up shipping in here (i know that gets everyone including me pretty salty) but I have nowhere else to turn with this question and figured you guys were pretty smart and experienced on this kind of thing.
Back in October I ordered something in which only 500 were made (so I can't get a new one shipped out) from an American company who shipped it out a week or so later. Still haven't received the package. Contacted the company who gave me a tracking label confirming it was shipped and it turns out it went from California to Quebec (I live in Ontario) then back into the US and has been sitting in Chicago since December 13th. I've contacted Canada Post to get mad at them for inexplicably sending it BACK to the US, I've contacted the USPS to get mad at them for keeping something of mine in Chicago for almost 3 months for no reason and I've contacted the company again wanting some form of update and none of those 3 have replied to me and they've all ignored me on Twitter. What do I do CanadaGAF!? Am I basically fucked and out of 100$?

Email and phone everyone involved.

Dunlop

Preordered infamous on PSN because of the pricing stupidity...but haven't received a receipt yet.

First time preordering online..I should get a receipt right away?

edit: I see it i my transaction history, so I assume it's all good

UberTag

Wonder how much more the dollar needs to drop before retailers feel obligated to pop games up above $70.

They pulled the trigger on this move at 92 cents or thereabouts. Can we expect to see $75-80 prices if the dollar falls to 85 cents? Or will it need to fall lower than that?

i-Jest

Wonder how much more the dollar needs to drop before retailers feel obligated to pop games up above $70.

They pulled the trigger on this move at 92 cents or thereabouts. Can we expect to see $75-80 prices if the dollar falls to 85 cents? Or will it need to fall lower than that?

The lack of dollar parity is going to fuck up the Futureshop E3 deals this year. That makes me sad :(

May the GAF-gods guide us through these expensive times.

Mr.Mike

So now our wages rise an amount roughly equivalent to the increase in price of consumer goods, right? Right?!?

We need to go back...

firehawk12

Subete no aware

If they're ignoring your phone calls, then it'd be best to just do a chargeback if it isn't too late.

Returners

I called Future Shop today and they honoured the $44.99 price for South Park despite me ordering it shortly after it died.

YMMV!

Was upset there were only 360 versions left however.

So you ordered at 64.99? and called them to say you saw it at 44.99?

It's good, I guess they'll honour my 44.99 order. :D

Does Amazon ever deliver on release day? I tried to put a preorder for MGS GZ and with Express shipping it says expected delivery March 24th-25th? wtf is that?!
So now ever Amazon Prime is no good for release day delivery!

Kagey K

Banned
They really pushed me to digital in this case. Most games are cheaper and I don't have to worry about discs. They are screwing themselves at this point. When digital gets as bad as retail I may change my mind, but until then I will gladly pay less and not have to change discs.

Dunlop

SONY I JUST WANT AN OFFICIAL DUAL SHOCK 4 CHARGER WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME

0061788500575_500X500.jpg

I picked this up, it is fantastic

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I haven't seen much discussion in here about what I feel is the more likely reason for the price increase on games.

Yes the dollar parity gives them a background reason.
But I really feel that it is more likely that the regular price is being raised so that games can be sold at the traditional $59.99 and be listed as being "On Sale".
Pricing laws state that a product must be listed for 30 days at it's designated regular price before it can be "on sale".

The demand is high for the first couple of days of a release so yes they will make more money on those days. We as gamers are such suckers that way.
But then the game can safely be dropped down to the price we have all been paying for years $60 and the company gets to advertise the game as a sale item.

It is very common for companies to adjust pricing like this for very popular items that drop in price very quickly after their launch or release date.
It won't be long before the average customer will walk into a store and be excited that a game is on "sale" for $59.99.
It also encourages further spending. Almost everyone that purchases an item on sale feels that they have saved money and can now spend those savings on something else.
Very often that savings is mentally reflected towards the next item purchased.

"I saved $10 on this game so if I buy this other $30 game I'm basically getting it for $20".

I have a long career in sales and have seen these tactics used time and time again.
It's just my opinion. Curious if anyone else agrees.

Top Bottom