• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled Timesplitters Game Images Leaked

Draugoth

Gold Member
Free Radical Design had plans to revive the classic TimeSplitters shooter franchise. Unfortunately it looks like this will never come to fruition, as they were recently closed by Embracer Group.

With the studio having been closed and the project possibly dead, concept art for the new game ended up appearing on the internet, at least giving fans of the franchise a taste of what they could have received.

101505.jpg

101513.jpg

101507.jpg
101517.jpg

101512.jpg
101511.jpg

101514.jpg
101515.jpg
101516.jpg

Source with More Images

Last edited:

CamHostage

looked promising , sony or microsoft should have bought free radical

Naw, I was into the Timesplitters revival possibilities, but this was a new studio in the Free Radical but only a few (key) heads from the PS2/Rare days heading it. The other surviving portion of Free Radical is in Dambuster Studio.

Also, if somebody else had bought the team, they wouldn't have necessarily gotten the Timesplitters IP. Or used it, since neither Sony or MS are much into retro product lines.

Last edited:

Hudo

I feel like the shit Embracer have pulled should've resulted in some lawsuits. I can't comprehend that no one on the management side (CEO, CFO and whoever) and no one on the board of directors has to face any consequences. No lawsuits, nothing.

If I lost my institution a multi-million amount of money and fucked up projects along the way, "just" getting fired would be the best outcome.

Last edited:

Oberstein

Free Radical Design had plans to revive the classic TimeSplitters shooter franchise. Unfortunately it looks like this will never come to fruition, as they were recently closed by Embracer Group.

With the studio having been closed and the project possibly dead, concept art for the new game ended up appearing on the internet, at least giving fans of the franchise a taste of what they could have received.

101505.jpg

101513.jpg

101507.jpg
101517.jpg

101512.jpg
101511.jpg

101514.jpg
101515.jpg
101516.jpg

Sourcewith More Images

a46fe86f3facc25b95460671134b9f19.gif

mortal

Gold Member
Embracer Group is like a blight on the gaming industry. Just taking out developers left and right.
Doing business with the wrong publisher can be a death sentence for any game or studio.

CamHostage

I feel like the shit Embracer have pulled should've resulted in some lawsuits. I can't comprehend that no one on the management side (CEO, CFO and whoever) and no one on the board of directors has to face any consequences. No lawsuits, nothing.

...Sued for what? This get-big-fast approach was always the Embracer business plan, it's what these companies sold for. And for a few years, it worked. But without a huge backer in this global economy sag, bills come due for everybody.

Free Radical would not exist today without Embracer. This version of the studio was formed specifically because Embracer wanted to build on the IP it owned, which it acquired after a series of fire sales where Free Radical or its patent companies went bankrupt. Maybe David Doak and Steve Ellis might have one day formed an indie studio to make a spiritual successor, but money would have been tight and success would not have been guaranteed. (Look at the Burnout successor efforts at Three Fields, which hasn't yet fully satisfied fans in its 10 year history since leaving Criterion. )

Sadly, Embracer was the one of the only publishers left doing what it did with making old franchises new again. They may revive their own brands (sega just announced a few, ) but only ones core to their legacy audience and usually at indie budgets. I can't think of another publisher who would have backed a Timesplitters revival, can you?

simpatico

From what I understand, the version of "Free Radical" that was making this game is akin to going to a "Rolling Stones" concert with none of the original band members. We as hobbyists need to learn actual names of devs and lose our attachment to the names of studios. Too many times it's not a good representation of who is actually making the game.

Neon Xenon

Goddamn shame. I don't know how well a TimeSplitters game would fit into the current FPS market, but this is not a way that any series with this much love should ever go out.

Yet another reason to say "Fuck Embracer Group".

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I have a feeling this could be an amazing VR game.

Too bad we will never know.

Robb

Gold Member
Not sure if this game would’ve been my cup of tea anyway, but there’s definitely some neat/interesting looking stuff here. Too bad..

ReBurn

Gold Member
From what I understand, the version of "Free Radical" that was making this game is akin to going to a "Rolling Stones" concert with none of the original band members. We as hobbyists need to learn actual names of devs and lose our attachment to the names of studios. Too many times it's not a good representation of who is actually making the game.
Knowing the names of individual devs sounds creepy and stalkerish, tbh. They probably like the anonymity that the studio umbrella provides.

I normally like leaked information about cancelled projects, but this...

giphy.gif

Edit: This particular image stings even more because by looking at it you could get a sense that the classic Timesplitters' level design might have been in it:

101513.jpg

It looks like a potentially fun multiplayer map.

Last edited:
Knowing the names of individual devs sounds creepy and stalkerish, tbh. They probably like the anonymity that the studio umbrella provides.

I don't think it's stalkerish. It's appreciating their craft. It's stalkerish to contact them inappropriately. But acknowledging those who make the games we love is the important thing.

splattered

Looks pretty good but if you told me those were screens from newer fortnite id believe you. Not a bad thing at all, just sayin

Looks like they nailed what a Timesplitters game should look like with modern hardware, tragic it's been cancelled. FRD are fucking cursed, I remember that amazing looking Starwars Battlefront that also got the rug pulled by the licence being revoked. Wish someone like Sony or Microsoft would give them the support to actually get a game out of the door to see if they could capture that Rareware magic.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This looks a bit too fun and interesting for the current gaming industry

but seriously TS is awesome biggest bummer cancellation for me since "Project Psychic"

Rat Rage

This could have been such a cool game.

If the IP is held hostage by Embracer, then the devs could go the Eiyuden Chronicles or Bloodstained way and annouce a kickstarter with a different name (e.g. Time Triggers or whatever) in order to continue making the game they always wanted that way.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

If I lost my institution a multi-million amount of money and fucked up projects along the way, "just" getting fired would be the best outcome.
I'm pretty sure Embracer still owns Soul Reaver. I wanted an original Blood Omen Legacy of Kain remake.

Top Bottom