• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom confirms record number of game sales as share price hits all-time high

In its end-year financial results published on Wednesday, which cover the year ended March 31, 2023, the Resident Evil publisher said it had sold 41.7 million games during the 12-month period.

That’s up from 32.6 million games the previous fiscal year and breaks its record for the most games sold in a business year.

The company said its game sales helped it achieve a sixth consecutive year of record-high profit “at all levels” and its tenth consecutive year of operating income growth.

capcom-FY23.jpg.png

More at: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...game-sales-as-share-price-hits-all-time-high/

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So weird I was looking up the highest selling capcom games and they haven’t had one to break 20 million ever!?
Most are below 10 million.
I am honestly shocked by this.

k_trout

RE remakes and new releases have been a gaming highlight of the past years for me
I'm still watching Distortion2 speedrunning RE4, good job capcom

SCB3

Not surprised, they keep releasing banger after banger.
They really are, since Monster Hunter World and arguabley DMCV they've been on fire, only blip they had was RE3 Remake and even that was great

However I do wish they'd move away from trying to persue the MP shooters like RE:Verse and Umbrella Corps and instead do RE Outbreak and more MH MP games

Matt_Fox

Capcom still at the top of their game after all these years....

Bring on Resident Evil 9 and Resident Evil 5: Remake I cant wait!!!!

Matt_Fox

The comeback started with RE7. Monster Hunter, Dragons Dogma, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, Megaman….all owe a debt to Ethan Winters lmao

That's when they developed RE Engine. It's allowed them to make high quality games at high speed.

In this era of tortoise like game development, Capcom keep managing to put out product at speed. A lot of other devs could learn from them.

Mr Hyde

What a turnaround. I remember some ten years ago when Capcom was in trouble with games that didn't perform well, be it critically or sales wise. RE6, Bionic Commando, Dragon's Dogma, Lost Planet. Even their new engine Phanta Rei went to shit. Everyone thought they were gonna close shop. And now they are at the top of their game. Can't wait for Dragon's Dogma 2. It's gonna be the GOAT.

Last edited:
So weird I was looking up the highest selling capcom games and they haven’t had one to break 20 million ever!?

20 million is very high mark actually. It has become a joke/trivialised since all Sony games reach that number via bundling.

Watch highest selling and most popular games like Elden Ring, Hogwarts Legacy barely crawl beyond that number.

Puts into perspective people suggesting horizon didn't sell well.

Also, I've tried to tell people just how much more valuable a studio Capcom is compared to Konami or Square Enix.

Konami, please look at the Capcom model.

Nothing for them to follow.

They don't have the studio talent anymore. They bet against AAA gaming. And now they're a nothing company living off of low-cost pachinko machines like some gangster.

What a turnaround. I remember some ten years ago when Capcom was in trouble with games that didn't perform well, be it critically or sales wise. RE6, Bionic Commando, Dragon's Dogma, Lost Planet. Even their new engine Phanta Rei went to shit. Everyone thought they were gonna close shop. And now they are at the top of their game. Can't wait for Dragon's Dogma 2. It's gonna be the GOAT.

Lost Planet was a down point for them for sure. The Capcom 5 didn't help them either.

Not sure they thought they were going to close shop though.

I hope they take the same energy they put into SF4 and RE2 into Mega Man.

They're definitely a blueprint for other companies though. A great remake can bring a whole franchise back to life. That is why I think Bluepoint was such a great buy.

As long as they keep trying new things with Exoprimal and Pragmata (if that doesn’t get canned like Deep Down), I don’t mind they keeping it safe with more Resident Evil. I’m sure they’ll have another big year with SF6 in the horizon.

StereoVsn

Capcom stays winning. They have been in a great run over last few years and more is coming. Really happy to see them doing well, as I have been enjoying their games since the early 90s.

Saber

Gold Member
It looks like yesterday that Capcom was in a bad situation. Good job for keeping making great games, fans appreciate that.

Baki

Elden Ring holds the crown for highest selling Japanese 3rd party title at 20M. People don't realise how uncommon it is for a game to reach 10M or 20M units. That's why Sony and Nintendo first party are huge outliers with their 20 million sellers. Sony is a newcomer to the club but already has 5 titles with 20M+ sold (Spiderman, GOW 2018, Horizon FW, TLOU I and Uncharted 4).

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Someone call Phil Spencer. He’ll be disgusted by this information.

Astral Dog

Not always the case has Capcom own Clover studio showed
Yep i think it has to do with Capcom finding a balance between pleasing fans and the west ,with their hyper realistic graphics engine,and constant high quality they built a bigger audience .

Resident Evil,Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter had big releases but if you notice ,not much else. they rely on those franchises to carry them, and DMC is on rest for now

Yep i think it has to do with Capcom finding a balance between pleasing fans and the west ,with their hyper realistic graphics engine,and constant high quality they built a bigger audience .

Resident Evil,Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter had big releases but if you notice ,not much else. they rely on those franchises to carry them, and DMC is on rest for now
Capcom looked to focus more on the west in the 360 Era, that was Keiji Inafune big focus at the time

Its not always about quality mind since RE6 is one of their best selling games.
Capcom have always made great games and been a brilliant developer since the 16 bit days.

They've just been on a great run and I would imagine Japanese developers for the most part, still work crunch periods and have no woke crap, that seems to have held back some Western studios who now can't bare to work more than 36 hour week or look to work from home

Top Bottom