• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Hit Record High and Lift Entire Japanese Stock Exchange In The Process

LakeOf9

Japan's benchmark stock index recorded another 34-year high on Wednesday, led by strength in technology shares and a fall in the yen, which would boost exporters’ profits.
The Nikkei Stock Average rose 2% Wednesday to 34441.72, its highest end-of-day level since February 1990. It is inching toward the record-high close of 38915.87 hit in December 1989.Japan's benchmark stock index recorded another 34-year high on Wednesday, led by strength in technology shares and a fall in the yen, which would boost exporters’ profits.
Nintendo shares hit a record closing high of 7,823 yen Wednesday, or about $54.14. The videogame company’s shares have gained ground since late last year, reflecting solid earnings and expectations over the potential launch of a new console to succeed the current Switch model.Japan's benchmark stock index recorded another 34-year high on Wednesday, led by strength in technology shares and a fall in the yen, which would boost exporters’ profits.

The Wall Street Journal (taken from this thread on Famiboards)

Nintendo you know what to do

bitbydeath

a46065c2a64c099c0dfd84943cbfa17d.gif

tr1p1ex

speculative excitement building for the launch is all.

Nothing has happened lately otherwise.

Yen was lower a month or three ago.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Some things are pretty certain. The next system is just going to be a more powerful version of the Switch. That is all it needs to be to sell gangbusters
You're probably right. But although it would be the best move IMO, a simple more powerful Switch is not a given. They will try to do something else. It's probably going to be considered.

We just don't know. They have said nothing about this yet.. it's all speculation. We don't even have a codename.

Last edited:

Closer

And all of this is led by strength in technology shares and a fall in the yen, which would boost exporters’ profits!

Sojiro

I wouldn't go that far. Nothing is for sure when it comes to gaming.

I need to see the thing first..
Eh I think he is right on that, fucking scalpers are always out in full force when a new console hits, especially considering they tend to have limited supplies and people are willing to buy one even at crazy scalper prices to get one ASAP. The Wii U imploded in the end, but there is that picture of the lady with a van full of Wii Us that floats around here often, and I am willing to bet many more tried to scalp it too.

belmarduk

I mean
I love Nintendo, always have.
They're not a big corporation but my best friend.

What have they done lately for their stock to reach a record high? Very, very little.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I mean

What have they done lately for their stock to reach a record high? Very, very little.
TOTK Wonder one of the best selling console of all times??

w=368

Emedan

I mean

I read that this raise in Nintendo stock has happened like every single time before a big announcement since at least, Wii, could be an indicator that information has leaked to investors that an announcement is soon to come. This is a good sign, I think we'll see it soon!

Ozzie666

Suddenly people realise Nintendo has mastered the art of selling ancient hardware at top level prices and pofits margins. The masters of cutting corners to save a few bucks with a poor on line set-up. All cleverly masked by great software titles and experiences. Your looking at the left hand, while the right hand slugs you in the face. Perfectly fine and it works almost everytime.

Best oxygen available.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
listen pal I like some nintendos games the best but the hardware power is crud and famiboard peoples is embarassming will never post there Im sorry my friends

famiboard peoples
05de5c91-0ac6-410a-94b6-28e9a3d7f715.webp

chris-farley-snl.gif

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Some things are pretty certain. The next system is just going to be a more powerful version of the Switch. That is all it needs to be to sell gangbusters
This makes sense, but I doubt it.

What really kept Nintendo afloat the last 25+ years is that you always needed to buy their latest system for the new Pokemon games.
Being able to play the new ones on the old Switch would make the new system a much harder sale. And it’s not like the games are so technically demanding that the old Switch couldn‘t keep running a couple more for the next five years or so.

zenspider

I mean

SMB Movie box numbers: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt6718170/
Console Sales: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/11/nintendo-switch-has-now-sold-over-132-million-units
Software Sales: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html
Third theme park: https://www.travelandleisure.com/universal-orlando-super-nintendo-world-7112209

What they've done lately? What they've accomplished this generation.

Robb

Gold Member
The “Switch 2” effect. It’s coming..
jurassic park water GIF

What have they done lately for their stock to reach a record high? Very, very little
The stock market is forward looking, things they’ve already done isn’t the reason for this spike. It mainly reflects what investors think may happen in the future.

Last edited:

Emedan

This makes sense, but I doubt it.

What really kept Nintendo afloat the last 25+ years is that you always needed to buy their latest system for the new Pokemon games.
Being able to play the new ones on the old Switch would make the new system a much harder sale. And it’s not like the games are so technically demanding that the old Switch couldn‘t keep running a couple more for the next five years or so.
I don't think anyone is saying that. The new Switch will no doubt play the old ones games but not the other way around.

AndrewRyan

I bought NTDOY stock three times. Here's the purchase date, price paid, and return percentage for each:
2/17. $5.16. +158%
6/19. $8.95. +51%
1/21. $15.78. -15%

Overall a gain of 52% since the majority was purchased on 6/19. Gave back all the profits in exchange for marioware.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Unless investors got lucky timing buying Nintendo, it's crazy how such a successful company has such a lousy stock. Unless someone got in and cashed out before 2008 global crisis, or bought in during the down in the dumps Wii U years, it's been hard to make good money on this stock.

Granted this is the US OTC shares, so currency exchange might affect it over the decades, but here it is:

hJ20YwQ.jpg

I think basically what happened is Covid messed everything up that they had planned. And the OLED was originally a Switch Pro-type upgrade. And instead they canceled the spec upgrade, and just put the OLED out to extend the lifespan a little. Now they have the technology to do way more than just a Switch Pro, that is so much of an improvement that it can be sold as a new console/ successor. But the naming of the thing… that’s a tough one.

Switch Advance has a nice ring to it, I think.

Last edited:

zenspider

Unless investors got lucky timing buying Nintendo, it's crazy how such a successful company has such a lousy stock. Unless someone got in and cashed out before 2008 global crisis, or bought in during the down in the dumps Wii U years, it's been hard to make good money on this stock.

Granted this is the US OTC shares, so currency exchange might affect it over the decades, but here it is:

hJ20YwQ.jpg
Depends when you bought I guess…. I’ve been buying stock for 3 years now, my shares are up over 30% plus dividends.

Top Bottom