• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Platinum Titles & Franchise Sales Update Nov 7, 2023 - DMC Franchise now at 30M+ units sold & lots more info for Capcom's entire game catalog

Credit Jawmuncher from the other forum:

Monster Hunter Series
Monster Hunter World - 19.1M +100K
Monster Hunter Rise - 13.6M +400K
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - 10.70M +200K
Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - 6.5M +400K

Resident Evil Series
Resident Evil 2 Remake - 13.1M +500K
Resident Evil 7 - 12.7M +300K
Resident Evil 5 (PC/Legacy) - 8.9M +100K
Resident Evil 6 (PC/Legacy) - 8.9M +100K
Resident Evil Village - 8.7M +400K
Resident Evil 3 Remake - 8M +400K
Resident Evil 4 Remake - 5.4M +500K
Resident Evil Remake HD (PC/Legacy) - 4M +100K
Resident Evil 0 HD (PC/Legacy) - 4M +100K
Resident Evil Revelations 2 - 3.3M +100K
Resident Evil 4 (PS4/X1) - 3.1M +100K
Resident Evil 5 (PS4/X1) 2.9M +100K
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City - 2.7M +100K
Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD Edition (PC) - 2.7M +100K
Resident Evil: Revelations (PC/Legacy) - 2.5M +100K
Resident Evil 6 (PS4/X1) - 2.5M +200K
Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (PC/Legacy) - 2.4M +100K

Devil May Cry Series
Devil May Cry 5 - 7.4M +200K
DmC - 3M +100K
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition - 2.5M +100K
Devil May Cry HD Collection - 1.6M +100K

Capcom Fighters
Street Fighter 5 - 7.4M +100K
Street Fighter IV (PC/Legacy) - 3.5M +100K
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - 2.9M +100K
Street Fighter 6 - 2.4M +500K
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite - 2.2M +100K
Ultra Street Fighter 4 (PC/Legacy) 2M +100K
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 - 1.7M +100K

Others
Dead Rising 3 - 3.4M +100K
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PC/Legacy) - 3.2M +100K
Dead Rising 2 (PC/Legacy) - 3.2M +100K
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy - 2.6M +300K
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS4/X1) - 2.2M +100K
Capcom Arcade Stadium - 1.6M +300K
Mega Man Legacy Collection - 1.5M +100K
Mega Man X Legacy Collection - 1.1M +100K
Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 - 1.1M *NEW

Total Franchise Sales
Dragon's Dogma - 7.9M +200k
Monster Hunter - 95M +1M
Devil May Cry - 30M +1M
Resident Evil - 150M +4M
Mega Man - 41M +1M

Flabagast

Sales of RE4Remake seem slightly disappointing no ?

too many remakes I feel, RE needs new blood

Last edited:
I think Resident Evil 4 Remake can get to a total of 7 million sold by the end of this fiscal year.

QSS9AnB.png

* 2 quarters remaining

Last edited:

Flabagast

I think Resident Evil 4 Remake can get to a total of 7 million sold by the end of this fiscal year.

QSS9AnB.png

* 2 quarters remaining
So RE4R is slightly underperforming in comparison with the other latest releases (price was too high imho), while RE8 had a very strong launch but not very good legs (understadable since the game is a disappointement).

Time to shake up Capcom !

Last edited:

MikeM

DmC has a sold 3.1M sold. I know a lot of people hated it but Im disappointed they never made a sequel.

Astral Dog

DmC has a sold 3.1M sold. I know a lot of people hated it but Im disappointed they never made a sequel.
They incorporated some of its aesthetics and combat moves in DMC5 the influence is there

anyways it was not a bad game,but an uneccessary reboot its what happens when you alienate your core audience to pander to other,NT weren't fans of the series from what i can tell(Capcom got them because of their narrative 'skills' but its a joke imo),in the end it worked out for Capcom since most DmC fans purchased DMC5(wich tries to cather to fans of all the games and media)

DmC works well as an spin off

MikeM

They incorporated some of its aesthetics and combat moves in DMC5 the influence is there

anyways it was not a bad game,but an uneccessary reboot its what happens when you alienate your core audience to pander to other,NT weren't fans of the series from what i can tell(Capcom got them because of their narrative 'skills' but its a joke imo),in the end it worked out for Capcom since most DmC fans purchased DMC5(wich tries to cather to fans of all the games and media)

DmC works well as an spin off
It would have worked out as its own universe I think. I want a sequel

Fake

Wait, why separate SF4 two times?

Street Fighter 6 selling less than Street Fighter 5 in the same timeperiod?

Is a mix bag game. Even mechanics are not even that good. If I would guess, making SF6 more like SF3 was their mistake. They like watched that SF3 video on youtube about Chun-li vs Ken parrying her attacks and think 'Hey, SF6 will be just like that'.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Resident Evil 3 Remake selling almost the same as Village and probably costing a fraction to make is a strong business case to continue with Remakes instead of creating new stuff.

Same with SFIV vs SF Collection.

Pretty good point to argue when people complain about remakes and stuff. It just makes business sense.

YukiOnna

There's enough costumes and other things to sell they really should have considered f2p, or a much cheaper launch price.
I'm hoping Capcom aren't too fickle since they are a packaged title company and keep support going for a while and improving the experience. Crossplay in Season 4 is a good step for one... permanent discount next, maybe? there's a fun game in it if you buy it so it can make people stick

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm hoping Capcom aren't too fickle since they are a packaged title company and keep support going for a while and improving the experience. Crossplay in Season 4 is a good step for one... permanent discount next, maybe? there's a fun game in it if you buy it so it can make people stick
I'm a little optimistic since they have a long history of keeping multiplayer games going. They must know the potential this has when they have another series like Monster Hunter already. This could easily be a new recurring IP, which is something they need a new one of.

Astral Dog

It would have worked out as its own universe I think. I want a sequel
I think this series has been mismanaged somewhat since the beginning tbh, so it had a bit of an identity crisis

DMC1 good sales and critical acclaim
DMC2 was greenlighted in secret by Capcom without Hideki Kamiya or his team involvment,why? no idea,they just wanted to rush a sequel i guess, there was no chance to flesh out the lore by the series creator it dissapointed a lot of fans

DMC2 was a commercial success despite the poor reception by the fans so DMC3 was made with Hideaki Itsuno in charge, it turned out a success and its considered the essential DMC game by many

DMC4 went in a slightly different direction, and was clearly rushed being the team first HD game,had a mixed reception sold well (more than 2 million at launch,eventually 3M the highest sales at the time)but not within Capcom expectations

At this point there was a big change in the company to appeal to the west they outsourced DMC to NT, there were talks about wanting God of War like sales, the quality was there but it got a mixed reception again because they pissed off the original fans

DMC5 has been very well recieved

I think a part of the problem was the appeal, DMC is a cool series but the characters and brand didn't appeal to everybody and it stayed in a niche despite doing selling millions, creatively they didn't had many ideas to flesh out the setting ,but i don't believe every game brand needs an epic narrative or mass appeal, DMC had identity some people loved others trashed ,Capcom tried to force changes on the brand because they wanted to appeal to gamers that hated DMC for what it is.

If you notice other classic game brands don't go to such changes and instead they focus on the quality and slowly build their audience over time,because the team has more creative control.

Itsuno's team is awesome and he really cares and it seems the series has been on a more consistent path since DMC4SE released,DMC6 will be something great

yurinka

Nah, it's selling better than RE7 and RE3R, and may end selling better than RE2 and RE8 in the long run. Consider RE4 is the one with the biggest amount of remasters, ports, and versions so it's normal that people would react like this.

Wait, why separate SF4 two times?
Before Street Fighter 5 the game updates/expansions were different standalone games you had to buy -almost always- at full price and each one and each platform had a separate online.

In that Capcom list, they count each project/budget separatedly.

In the case of SF5 (and SF6) they have a single game with an unified crossplay online for the whole series, and the game updates/expansions were (mostly free or unlockable) dlc sometimes rereleased as a game+dlc bundle, with all these updates/expansions planned and in-budget since the start.

Meaning, the whole SF5 series for Capcom was a single project, while in SF2, SFA, SFEX, SF3 or SF4 each game/expansion in the series was a different project.

Street Fighter 6 selling less than Street Fighter 5 in the same timeperiod?
No, SF6 is selling better than SF5 in the same period. SF5 underperformed at launch but had great legs and later recovered.

Is resident evil 5 still technically the best selling resident evil if you add all the editions together?
Yes.

Last edited:

too many remakes I feel, RE needs new blood

Games are expensive, there are A LOT of games for gamers to play right now, and the next generation consoles haven't reached an apex of sales.

PC gamers will buy units but largely when they're on sale and they're also in no rush to play RE4.

Console gamers just don't have the numbers yet. That's why they released it on PS4, but the number of people buying this on PS4 is going to be limited. A game that you want to wait to play on PS5 or XSX. You're looking at less than 1080p and less than 60 fps on the base unit PS4.

The decision to make RE4 Remake cross-gen will probably limit its lifetime sales potential. It'll never be a must-have game. And despite reception you have diminishing interest from people who played RE2 and RE3. At best they'll buy the game at heavy discount.

I wish we had revenue numbers tied to these, because units sold has become really misleading in terms of gauging success.

Last edited:
Top Bottom