• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carl's Jr Franchise Owner Mixed BBQ Sauce with Bare Hands

The co-franchisee of a Carl's Jr. in central Alberta was temporarily barred from his own restaurant's kitchen after a host of unhygienic behaviours that even "shocked" a public health inspector.

Jack Webb was captured on in-store security video at the Red Deer restaurant without gloves, forearm deep in a large container, mixing a batch of barbecue sauce for Carl's Jr. burgers

That was the first of no fewer than 10 food safety violations caught on video, which was exclusively obtained by CBC News.

Minnes says it was conscientious kitchen staff who initially alerted him to the "gross" infractions.

He says he approached Webb about the complaints.

"His reaction was, 'I'm the owner' and then 'Too bad.' He made it clear to the staff as well that they don't say anything, 'Don't talk about what I'm doing, I do what I feel like doing.'"

During the barbecue sauce mixing video, a staffer goes as far as offering Webb a spoon — which his boss refuses and continues mixing with his hand and forearm, before scraping the accumulated barbecue sauce off his arm back into the container.

Webb didn't use tongs or gloves in any of the videos.

Several of them feature him mixing barbecue and honey mustard sauce with his bare hands and transferring sauces from one container to another using his bare fingers.

The one time Webb did use a spatula during the videos, he got it from the dirty dish pile and hastily wiped it off with a towel.

Webb also seemed to be following the five-second rule when he dropped things on the floor.

One video shows the owner dropping a french fry scoop on the kitchen floor, picking it up and immediately using it to dish out fries.

In another, Webb dropped a chicken tender on the floor after transferring a batch from the fryer to a warming tray. Instead of throwing it out, he bent down, picked it up and put it back on the tray.

But both Minnes and Pedulla were most disturbed by Webb's handling of raw chicken.

The franchise co-owner dipped Carl's Jr. raw chicken tenders into batter mixture as per protocol. But then Webb transferred the chicken to the fryer without washing his hands.

The end result was a fryer basket handle covered in goopy flour and raw chicken juice. "There's potential for cross-contamination — you're going to make someone sick," Minnes said.

"That's how we spread contaminants and germs and pathogens," food safety expert Pedulla said.

"That's the stuff that can make you sick and kill you."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/franchisee-violates-food-safety-regulations-1.4250469

The owner also did some other gross stuff, such as after dropping a chicken tender on the floor, then he picked it up and put back in the pile. See the full article for videos.

Don't read this if you like eating out

cooks don't wear gloves 90% of the time when they do shit like this, the 10% of the time is when you can be seen by the public

But yea, he could have used a fucking ladle or something to mix it, what he did is pretty needless and gross considering how high it went up his arm

Beaulieu

cooks don't wear gloves 90% of the time when they do shit like this, the 10% of the time is when you can be seen by the public

Do you think there is a difference between not using gloves while cooking and being elbow deep in a sauce to mix it ?

Arkeband

Banned

But yea, he could have used a fucking ladle or something to mix it, what he did is pretty needless and gross considering how high it went up his arm

I've seen enough Gordon Ramsay to suspect every restaurant has a lukewarm freezer with some leaking bag of chicken in it from the early 1900's.

Riptwo

I was at that location about a year ago on a road trip. Nooooooooooo!

On the plus side, I think I'm still alive. But if I'm not, that really explains a lot about the last year.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
That's why their BBQ sauce is the best in the region.

LQX

Crazy but you see shit like this all the time on some shows like Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and even Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. No fucking gloves when it is obvious they should be using one.

longdi

Banned
Gordon Ramsay uses his bare hands /shrugs.

Even if someone uses gloves, doesn't mean the gloves will be clean, i see plenty reusing their gloves and even handling unsanitary looking items, with the same pair of gloves

Crazy but you see shit like this all the time on some shows like Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and even Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. No fucking gloves when it is obvious they should be using one.

You sometimes see no gloves before food is cooked, which is fine by me. I guess you might at plating, but I'm not sure that's a big issue as long as hand-washing protocols are used properly.

As for this, there is just no excuse. No way to control if hair comes off or anything. He should be nuked from food service forever. While there may be some stuff shown on those shows, I really don't think anyone goes elbow deep in sauce just because.

Even if someone uses gloves, doesn't mean the gloves will be clean, i see plenty reusing their gloves and even handling unsanitary looking items, with the same pair of gloves

No, it's not normal to mix a sauce that is likely already cooked with an arm. This isn't a normal thing that happens. This doesn't compare to what professional chefs do.

Acinixys

Like, if the thought of people touching your food with bare hands grosses you out, stay home and eat box meals

Ive been in kitchens for 7 years and ive never worn, or worked with anyone who wears gloves

If you wash your hands when moving between different products/meals i don't see an issue

However elbow deep in sauce is pretty nasty

Alucrid

Banned
i don't know why you're all harping on the "lol bare hands" shit when he's not even washing his hands after handling raw chicken and using dropped food

Kyuur

Should have just went with the CBC title OP, everyone gonna be fixated on the emphasis on bare hands instead of all the other actual gross stuff.

Lmo911

Hate to break it to ya, but people don't wear gloves unless there's a health inspector around. Gotta feel that food bro. Of course if you do that, you better wash your damn hands and equipment.

But what this guy did, that's nasty. We got these new fangled things called spoons for that.

krae_man

Yeah, gloves cause more problems in my opinion. Staff wash their hands less and store owners are cheap asses who will demand gloves be reused to save money. It's not possible to take off and put back on gloves without ever touching the outside of the glove, but store owners make the staff try.

Bare hands are find for most food preparation if you wash/sanitize properly.

Elbow deep in sauce though? Armhair is going to fall off in there.

Fuchsdh

Hate to break it to ya, but people don't wear gloves unless there's a health inspector around. Gotta feel that food bro. Of course if you do that, you better wash your damn hands and equipment.

But what this guy did, that's nasty. We got these new fangled things called spoons for that.

My food service experience was more the crushing reality of expectations versus time. Yeah, ideally you clean the slicers between meats and cheeses, but if the person doesn't pay for his sandwich if it takes longer than five minutes, there's an obvious mandate against safety. I imagine most places prioritize speed over hygiene.

This guy? Just seems like a tool.

Enzom21

His reaction was, 'I'm the owner' and then 'Too bad.' He made it clear to the staff as well that they don't say anything, 'Don't talk about what I'm doing, I do what I feel like doing.
This person sounds like a lunatic.

test_account

XP-39C²
giphy.gif

seinfeld-bathroom-o.gif

shira

Cooks also cut their hands a lot. You probably have blood in your food.

daveo42

Banned
Being elbow deep is sauce is pretty disgusting as is, but that dropped food and cross contamination stuff is just sickening. Shit hits the floor and it goes in the trash. There's no saving that to sell.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
came to be like whats the big deal, its BBQ sauce as long as you're using a spoon.... oh, OH

yea not good.

Kayhan

I was at that location about a year ago on a road trip. Nooooooooooo!

On the plus side, I think I'm still alive. But if I'm not, that really explains a lot about the last year.

I am sure his forearm hair DNA was incorporated into your genes quick and efficiently.

Saganator

As long as he washes his hands I don't see the big deal.

Yeah I also like dead skin, arm hair, and fingernail dirt in my sauce.

It would be completely different if the food he was touching with bare hands was to be cooked, but he's doing this with sauce that won't be cooked, it'll just get dumped on someone's food. Yuck!

It's like he's deliberately trying to be unsanitary as possible.

Top Bottom