• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cartoon Network should Upgrade more shows to Adult Swim like w/ Samurai Jack S5

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The fact that so many people hold on to a flame for a series who's last episode centers around a message of moving on and letting go of the past humors me.

Stephen Universe is all about understanding and acceptance and the fanbase can be absolutely toxic to one another.

I also think the Powerpuff Girls would benefit from this. I didn't watch the reboot.
TlfCcZR.jpg
Aren't the PPGs kindergartners or something?

Fat4all

Banned
Hasbro should open up their stable to more mature/action orientated content.

Transformers, M.A.S.K., MLP, Inhumanoids, G.I. Joe, Jem and the Holograms, there's money to be made all over dat shit.

Hasbro should open up their stable to more mature/action orientated content.

Transformers, M.A.S.K., MLP, Inhumanoids, G.I. Joe, Jem and the Holograms, there's money to be made all over dat shit.

Someone hasn't been watching the movies or reading the comics.

Xe4

Banned
Who the hell bought the rights to Sym-Bionic Titan and for what purpose?

Saying they sold it off isn't entirely correct. They wrote off SBT for tax purposes, meaning it's going to be super hard to revive.

Megas XLR had the same fate.

I dunno... the "adult" stuff was the worst part of Samurai Jack. The violence was fine, but the penis joke was pretty terrible.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Saying they sold it off isn't entirely correct. They wrote off SBT for tax purposes, meaning it's going to be super hard to revive.

Megas XLR had the same fate.

Basically our only hope for either show is probably Netflix or Hulu. The Megas team looking into bringing it back for Toonami, but it's apparently impossible to do on CN/AS.

Epcott

Would be satisfied with an "Adult Swim Lite" featuring Cartoon Hangover shows like Bee & Puppycat and Bravest Warriors or even Infinity Train. Not every show need be an edgy dark continuation of an old CN show.

Well... unless they did a Codename Teens Next Door and Courage the Cowardly Dog.

I can't even think of anything that would benefit... Chowder? Fosters? Dexter? Flapjack?

PixelatedBookake

Megas XLR was a show I could see benefitting from the adult swim treatment but I felt like the show had a satisfying conclusion. Ben 10 Alien Force and Generator Rex were shows I felt might fit pretty well on a midnight Toonami block with less restrictions. Even the Thundercats reboot would be a good choice, even though that would end up being a reboot of a reboot, but the point still stands.

Also adult swim Miguzi reboot where Miguzi is Earth post-polar ice caps meltdown and all the creatures are the last bio experiments of humanity to survive the flood, and Erin is the last human left to die on Earth by the T.O.M series of robots that overtook humanity at the turn of the 24th&1/2 century.

But that's just wishful thinking.

Only if it was Go and they let Robin go full Dennis Reynolds.

Honestly, TTG! already feels like it'd be right at home between Family Guy reruns. It's loud, annoying, actively offensive and hates it's audience just like most AS original shows that aren't Venture Bros. or Rick & Morty.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that's pretty different, but certainly makes it unlikely for CN to ever want to revisit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that's pretty different, but certainly makes it unlikely for CN to ever want to revisit.

AS ran Titan for a little while until CN wrote it off. I'm sure they'd bring it back at this point if they could, especially after the success they had with Jack.

dmshaposv

Unfortunately only samurai jack would work.

Courage was already a very dark show. I think what kept it innocent is the fact that they could never cross the line when it came to the rating.

I really just think Genndy and co should make an original show for an adult swim audience after the success of S5.

Most of us are hungry for mature well animated western animation shows!! There are dozens of us.gif

J-Tier

Aren't the PPGs kindergartners or something?
Yeah, only if they're aged up would it be appropriate.

Though, it doesn't necessarily need to be more overtly sexual for it to be considered more mature. They could tackle darker themes or be even more violent and having cleaner battle animations of similar quality to Samurai Jack S5 would be awesome.

I'd wish for some Hannah Barbara shows dealing with more adult themes and issues. Maybe not Scooby or Jabberjaw, but a harder-hitting Josie and the Pussycats could be neat or even one of their superheros. Problem with that wish is, aside from Adult Swim not likely wanting to distance themselves from adult-comedic Space Ghost/Birdman/etc attempts, I don't know if lesser HB properties that's not Scooby-Doo would be that marketable nowadays.

But don't I wish for it.

Edit: Well, there is Johnny Quest. Maybe that could find some ground.

J-Tier

I'd wish for some Hannah Barbara shows dealing with more adult themes and issues. Maybe not Scooby or Jabberjaw, but a harder-hitting Josie and the Pussycats could be neat or even one of their superheros. Problem with that wish is, aside from Adult Swim not likely wanting to distance themselves from adult-comedic Space Ghost/Birdman/etc attempts, I don't know if lesser HB properties that's not Scooby-Doo would be that marketable nowadays.

But don't I wish for it.

The entire Hanna Barbera line has had kind of a "gritty" reboot in the comics.

Ridley327

But don't I wish for it.

I doubt they would try Johnny Quest, given that Venture Bros. covers a lot of the same ground already and more or less has Johnny in a recurring role.

Would be satisfied with an "Adult Swim Lite" featuring Cartoon Hangover shows like Bee & Puppycat and Bravest Warriors or even Infinity Train. Not every show need be an edgy dark continuation of an old CN show.

Well... unless they did a Codename Teens Next Door and Courage the Cowardly Dog.

I can't even think of anything that would benefit... Chowder? Fosters? Dexter? Flapjack?

I'm all in favor of this. There's a definite market for YA/teen-focused animation. Stuff that's not incredibly vulgar or violent but still wouldn't be exactly appropriate for kids under 12/13. If teens can handle dystopian novels where kids kill each other, then they can handle their cartoons saying "ass" or dealing with serious storylines.

Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gravity Falls, and Steven Universe all walk this fine line.

You would think that these are all terrible. But the Flintstones comic is absolutely outstanding in both its art and writing. Very political, heartfelt, and socially conscious, all from a goddamn Flintstones comic in 2016/2017.

Compsiox

Banned
I'm kinda fine with where they ended Ed Edd n Eddy. It got a legitimate conclusion and I feel like more would ruin that.

Codename KND was gonna have a reboot a while back but that never took off.

Powerpuff Girls had a reboot but I don't know if it was still ongoing. It also had an anime.

Samurai Jack really only got it because it was never concluded and it was clearly a show that had to put in effort to fit into its rating.

And a mature Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy might be too much. A lot of that show's charm came from seeing how close they could skirt the line of being too much.

Courage could work.

They could just make more episodes of Ed Edd n Eddy and just claim that they take place in the middle of the series. There are still so many scams that they could have used.

HStallion

If you really want to bring back an old CN classic show for modern times while also taking advantage of Adult Swims more adult focus then bring back Johnny Bravo. Except after all those years of trying and failing to get a lady despite his looks and charm Johnny has gone full MRA in response. You could make it about his adventures meeting MGTOWs, dealing with the Alt Right and a special episode with Milo. Boom! Thank me later.

Bronx-Man

Banned
If you really want to bring back an old CN classic door modern times while also taking advantage of Adult Swims more adult focus then bring back Johnny Bravo. Except after all those years of trying and failing to get s lady despite his looks and charm Johnny has gone full MRA in response. You thought Johnny was bad before but you haven't seen anything yet. Boom! Thank me later.
Ehhhh. You'd kinda lose the charm of the original if Johnny becomes a full-on creep. The appeal is he's a goofy musclehead that feels entitled to everything because of his musclehead status.

HStallion

Ehhhh. You'd kinda lose the charm of the original if Johnny becomes a full-on creep. The appeal is he's a goofy musclehead that feels entitled to everything because of his musclehead status.

I'm sure Seth McFarlane would be all for it.

If you really want to bring back an old CN classic show for modern times while also taking advantage of Adult Swims more adult focus then bring back Johnny Bravo. Except after all those years of trying and failing to get a lady despite his looks and charm Johnny has gone full MRA in response. You could make it about his adventures meeting MGTOWs, dealing with the Alt Right and a special episode with Milo. Boom! Thank me later.

Isn't the guy in charge of [as] right now an alt-righter? Could see him being down with this idea in a non-ironic way.

Blackage

Guy who made Danny Phantom has some youtube videos that aged up the characters.

I think what made Samurai Jack special though was the fact it was an incomplete story in a show that always a little mature, and it just made for a perfect fit/upgrade for Adult Swim to close it out. There's not too many shows like that.

I'd love to see any of these animated.

HStallion

I'd say they should do a new mature Johnny Quest but the Venture Brothers kind of already ate that piece of the pie.

What's the creator and crew of Megas up to these days? You think any of them might be game to make a spiritual successor of some kind?

I'm mad that, like, only two super robot shows in CN history, both pretty damn decent, have the biggest hurdles in order to comeback.

HStallion

Combine Dexter's Lab with Breaking Bad as an older heavily Jaded and hard up Dexter decides to get into making drugs to make ends meet after he discovers Monkey has cancer. I can't wait till DeeDee is like,"I fucked Mandark"

Top Bottom