• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Advance Collection listed on PlayAsia (Switch)

cormack12

Gold Member
Store link: https://www.play-asia.com/search/castlevania+advance+collection

gmbUYF.jpg

Announced - Pre-orders opening soon. Expected to ship: tba.

Konami's Castlevania Anniversary Collection traces the origins of the historic vampire franchise. Included is a unique eBook with details provided by developers, artists and others inspired by the Castlevania legacy which sheds a fresh light into the world of Castlevania.

Released as part of the Konami 50th Anniversary celebration, relive these timeless classics that helped define the platformer genre. From the Belmont clan to their extended bloodlines and allies, the Castlevania Anniversary Collection is the best first step for anyone to take into the world of Castlevania and the fight against Dracula!

Castlevania Advance Collection includes:

- 3D Classsic
- Castlevania Anniversary Collection
- Contra Anniversary Collection

cireza

Store link: https://www.play-asia.com/search/castlevania+advance+collection

gmbUYF.jpg

Announced - Pre-orders opening soon. Expected to ship: tba.

Konami's Castlevania Anniversary Collection traces the origins of the historic vampire franchise. Included is a unique eBook with details provided by developers, artists and others inspired by the Castlevania legacy which sheds a fresh light into the world of Castlevania.

Released as part of the Konami 50th Anniversary celebration, relive these timeless classics that helped define the platformer genre. From the Belmont clan to their extended bloodlines and allies, the Castlevania Anniversary Collection is the best first step for anyone to take into the world of Castlevania and the fight against Dracula!

Castlevania Advance Collection includes:

- 3D Classsic
- Castlevania Anniversary Collection
- Contra Anniversary Collection
I already bought digitally the Castlevania and Contra collections for 5€ each, well worth the money. M2 ports, so they are top quality.

This is going to include the three GBA games ? It is not so clear reading the description. Do we know if M2 is handling these ?
What is the 3D Classssssic ?

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
The description is obviously a placeholder since this hasn't been officially announced, it's all kind of scuffed (not to mention the main description is for Castlevania Anniversary Collection). Still "3D classsic" made me chuckle more than it should.

I already bought digitally the Castlevania and Contra collections for 5€ each, well worth the money. M2 ports, so they are top quality.

This is going to include the three GBA games ? It is not so clear reading the description. Do we know if M2 is handling these ?
What is the 3D Classssssic ?
The original ESRB leak had M2 as dev.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

Looking forward to this.
Missed out on Aria/Dissonance. I didn't buy the Double pack either because I hated the box art, which, on reflection was a bad decision.
I played Circle briefly, but it was hard going with the original GBA without an illuminated screen.
Getting this on Switch is a no brainer.

Ohhh cool . I love me some Castlevania. Will definitely buy if true. Hopefully physical but would even buy digital if that's the only option.

Fake

Good stuff but god it’d be nice if they had the DS games as well. Those were fantastic metroidvania’s.

Castlevania is Castlevania, not 'metroidvania'.

Besides, both Order of Eclesia and Dawn of Sorrow are fantastic. Portain of Ruin is a mix bag.

Saber

Gold Member
Is becoming difficult to not believe this as it slowly becoming a thing. But this 3D mention does not goes along with the GBA versions. They are not 3D.

Good stuff but god it’d be nice if they had the DS games as well. Those were fantastic metroidvania’s.

Calling them metroidvania is rather diminishing. Castlevania did use Metroid style, but he improved, make it better and created his own style.

I never ever though Castlevania Symphony of Night sequels as metroidvanias, but as a Castlevania style of game. Metroid is one thing and Castlevania SON is another, if people think they are the same they probably never played them.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I don’t suppose this would include the excellent Dawn Of Sorrow from DS? 🤔

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Those GBA games are good enough, anything more would only reduce the overall emulation quality. There's only so much they could spend their time on.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Announcement coming any day now. The description is obviously placeholder, but at least it looks like Asia is getting physical release of this, so I can import it.

If that's the official boxart though, it really looks like there will not be much extramaterial in there. Would be interested in finding out background information from these titles. Hope this does well so more Castlevania will come in the future.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
It's nice but fortunately I already have the original GBA trilogy cib. It's my favorite series.

Does anyone know if IGA's working on a new project?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Genuinely curious how this will translate on the big screen. I mean Belmont’s Revenge looked fugly on the big screen.

cireza

Genuinely curious how this will translate on the big screen. I mean Belmont’s Revenge looked fugly on the big screen.
These games are meant to be played portable, really. On the Wii U Gamepad they are fantastic, and it should be the same on Switch.

Last edited:
I'll pick this up if it's true, but I really really want those DS titles. OOE is tied neck and neck with SOTN for me, and I also really enjoyed POR as well.

BlackTron

DS titles require some reworking because of all the extra screen and touch screen stuff going on. A version of Dawn of Sorrow with the boss touchscreen aspect removed and the map assigned to minus/select instead of always on the extra screen would be the definitive version of the game.

That said. For a collection of old games to be released at full price, I expect absolutely no work done and a few GBA ROMs in an emulation wrapper. Which is easy enough for all of us to do ourselves. Actually reviving beloved games trapped on DS hardware is something they could actually do and I would pay for in a heartbeat but they won't do it.

I wonder if they will find some way to mess up GBA ROMs like how SotN on PS4 uses the controller's speaker. Probably.

Saber

Gold Member
DS titles require some reworking because of all the extra screen and touch screen stuff going on. A version of Dawn of Sorrow with the boss touchscreen aspect removed and the map assigned to minus/select instead of always on the extra screen would be the definitive version of the game.

Obviously. The problem is here is if the company is willing to do a good work or is in it just forming a crappie dimes here and there.
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance was ported to PS4 and all it's touch functions were removed so you could simply either use the analog or button pressing.
What I can see is Dawn of Sorrow using button pressing as a substitute for the Magic Seal touch functionality. But reality screams like it's too much work for Konami.

I hope this is real. All three are great, but Aria of Sorrow is ELITE.

I've wanted to replay this game for a while. Playing it without having to draw symbols on the second screen would be great. Hopefully we get a ds collection after this gba one.

Soodanim

Gold Member

That said. For a collection of old games to be released at full price, I expect absolutely no work done and a few GBA ROMs in an emulation wrapper. Which is easy enough for all of us to do ourselves. Actually reviving beloved games trapped on DS hardware is something they could actually do and I would pay for in a heartbeat but they won't do it.

I wonder if they will find some way to mess up GBA ROMs like how SotN on PS4 uses the controller's speaker. Probably.
This. The best mode is Julius mode because you don’t have to fuck about with the circle nonsense. It’s a waste of time and Nintendo’s forced gimmick is a blemish on an otherwise fantastic game.

This is the first I’ve heard about ps4 sotn, and that’s hilariously bad. I’m still disappointed that the PSP version redid the voices and gave us a strange version of Maria.

Kuramu

Aria of Sorrow was so good. I played it years later and i forget why but It just felt perfect in all ways.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Fuck yeah, these games are amazing

TLZ

Banned
So which games are included? How's Contra in this if this is a Castlevania collection? And how's this different to the Castlevania collection that I have on PS4?

SpiceRacz

All 3 of the GBA games are amazing, but the price should not exceed $30.

I'm guessing the "3D Classics" are just the N64 games. If it it includes the PS2 games, I'll buy this in a heartbeat.

BlackTron

This. The best mode is Julius mode because you don’t have to fuck about with the circle nonsense. It’s a waste of time and Nintendo’s forced gimmick is a blemish on an otherwise fantastic game.

This is the first I’ve heard about ps4 sotn, and that’s hilariously bad. I’m still disappointed that the PSP version redid the voices and gave us a strange version of Maria.

DoS is a fantastic game, muted by the fact that it has a few gimmicks around the edges and fails to surpass its fresher, simpler, and more pure predecessor AoS. Just a very slightly flawed game next to its perfect predecessor. I enjoyed my time with it but never went back since I finished it on my OG grey fat DS...when I think of using it I remember this game lol. I liked playing Soma again and the graphics update. It also felt like a gameplay luxury to always have the map open. But AoS the game I kept coming back to every few years.

The PS4 version of SotN has certain sound effects like items go through the controller. There is no way to change it. I was on the brink of getting this game when I saw it on sale but did my research and held back. I proceeded to finally resign myself and have PS3 under the TV whose one job is to play this damn PS1 disc. It's unfuriating that I can't buy this game on Switch like A HUNDRED YEARS AGO. That goes for every GBA/DS Castlevania game. Madness.

Good to see, that's another hint it may be coming. I know it was rated for all three consoles and PC in Australia and also Taiwan during the summer so it seems almost certain to happen at some point now.
AuApi42.png

Soodanim

Gold Member
DoS is a fantastic game, muted by the fact that it has a few gimmicks around the edges and fails to surpass its fresher, simpler, and more pure predecessor AoS. Just a very slightly flawed game next to its perfect predecessor. I enjoyed my time with it but never went back since I finished it on my OG grey fat DS...when I think of using it I remember this game lol. I liked playing Soma again and the graphics update. It also felt like a gameplay luxury to always have the map open. But AoS the game I kept coming back to every few years.

The PS4 version of SotN has certain sound effects like items go through the controller. There is no way to change it. I was on the brink of getting this game when I saw it on sale but did my research and held back. I proceeded to finally resign myself and have PS3 under the TV whose one job is to play this damn PS1 disc. It's unfuriating that I can't buy this game on Switch like A HUNDRED YEARS AGO. That goes for every GBA/DS Castlevania game. Madness.
If you have the disc I’d look into ripping it and installing RetroArch on an Xbox or PC that you have. At least that way you’d be able to apply a nice shader to make things look a little more like they would on a CRT

Top Bottom