• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night gets a "new" version on Sega Saturn. Who saw that coming?

Needlecrash

I just got this running on Mednafen, working great so far! Now to try it on the actual hardware. My 1st disc failed to start but I think the 2nd time around will actually work this time.

Side note, there's a Mega Man X8 demake in the style of Mega Man X1-X3.

Naked Lunch

Thanks for this post I'm all over these SNES ports. Zelda, Mega Man, Metroid, DuckTales WTF is going on
Yeah I know man - tell me about it. That stuff is just too cool.
The Metroid 1 port is a true crown jewel. Really stellar work. Having Metroid 1 2 3 now playable original SNES hardware is awesome.

Theres a Zelda 1 redux hack on the original NES that gives the sword the same attack motion as the SNES game - as well and tons of other little fixes.

I also forgot to list the Shin Pokemon QoL hack for the original Gameboy games. XP bars, run on the B button - lots of little non-offensive fixes - really worth playing through for a replay.

SpiceRacz

Yeah I know man - tell me about it. That stuff is just too cool.
The Metroid 1 port is a true crown jewel. Really stellar work. Having Metroid 1 2 3 now playable original SNES hardware is awesome.

Theres a Zelda 1 redux hack on the original NES that gives the sword the same attack motion as the SNES game - as well and tons of other little fixes.

I also forgot to list the Shin Pokemon QoL hack for the original Gameboy games. XP bars, run on the B button - lots of little non-offensive fixes - really worth playing through for a replay.

I tried out the Metroid 1 port tonight. I've never been able to put any meaningful time into the game. I was turned off by the difficulty and the absence of a map. I'm damn near finished with it after one sitting. Great stuff.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Some Russian site being the group behind amazing patches and fan translations, yeah. Of course it won't be "stuck" there and appear on all the sites that deal with such content (as above) and know this group, Idk why you must make it seem like they could be randoms spreading malware.
I would like to remind you that I said nothing of the sort. A cherry picked portion of a sentence that does not accurately reflect the meaning or intent the full sentence carries means that any comments made in response to said portion are invalid.

tl;dr you're mad about something you made up

Naked Lunch

I tried out the Metroid 1 port tonight. I've never been able to put any meaningful time into the game. I was turned off by the difficulty and the absence of a map. I'm damn near finished with it after one sitting. Great stuff.
That Metroid 1 port really puts it side by side with Super Metroid functionality with the addition of that map and other fixes like turning off and on the certain skills and weapons. I wish the map didnt show you everything though - but thats probably asking too much.

Just another tidbit about the Metroid 1 SNES port.
If you are using the MSU-1 music - look into manually adding the 'Luminist soundtrack'. A much better offering than the symphonic and Zero mission ones included in the port.
I usually despise most MSU1 soundtracks for SNES stuff but that Luminist one is pretty great.

Last edited:
Metroid 1 to SNES port
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Bounce

Where....??? I need.

Needlecrash

After several burning attempts, I can't get the game to play on my actual Saturn. Works perfectly on Mednafen though.

RAIDEN1

So what is it about this game, that makes it so highly regarded, especially if you aren't into that whole Vampire/Dracula theme, (and probably never will be..)

Crayon

I've never been able to burn a saturn disc correctly. :/ I've only tried a couple times, though. I'll have to give it another shot.

Crayon

So what is it about this game, that makes it so highly regarded, especially if you aren't into that whole Vampire/Dracula theme, (and probably never will be..)

Combination of historical significance, nostalgia for those that were there, wide availability, and totally holding up to play today. So it's a landmark game that anyone can appreciate without digging too deep.

Also, the soundtrack and promotional art really are up there and that can be a big deal in making a classic. Piano covers and wallpapers and such.

SpiceRacz

That Metroid 1 port really puts it side by side with Super Metroid functionality with the addition of that map and other fixes like turning off and on the certain skills and weapons. I wish the map didnt show you everything though - but thats probably asking too much.

Just another tidbit about the Metroid 1 SNES port.
If you are using the MSU-1 music - look into manually adding the 'Luminist soundtrack'. A much better offering than the symphonic and Zero mission ones included in the port.
I usually despise most MSU1 soundtracks for SNES stuff but that Luminist one is pretty great.

Yea the inclusion of the map does feel like cheating, especially when it indicates where items of interest and red doors are located. I finished it this morning before work. It's easily among my favorite NES games now.

Amazing music, amazing art, great gameplay, RPG elements (levels and equipment), satisfying exploration of the map, and way more accessible overall (both difficulty and mechanics) than the traditional Castlevania games. I don't really care for vampire stuff either but the game is just flat out amazing.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I first played SotN on PS3 as a digital title and instantly understood why it is so highly regarded. It's instant fun with a lot of freedom to explore and customise. There is so much that is entirely optional and missable, from obscure secret moves with weapons, to platform shoes that make you 1 pixel taller just because they felt like putting it in the game, to outright broken weapons that will tear everything in the game apart in seconds. It's a labour of love that doesn't take itself serious and demands very little of you, but keeps you hooked. It's also set to a genuinely fantastic soundtrack that people don't tend to tire of.

The Igavania sequels are objectively better in various ways, but SotN is more than the sum of its parts. Perhaps it's that it's more experimental. Perhaps it's that it's on console rather than handhelds. Whatever the case, SotN is one of my favourites of all time and I revisit it more readily than perhaps my more commonly listed favourites.

kiphalfton

Just bought this on PS+

Know nothing about what OP is talking about though, so not like it'd do me any good.

Guessing this is some "high seas" related thing...

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

The thing is if I end up purchasing this outside of this Saturn port, it'll probably just sit in the back-log.. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Top Bottom