• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CEO Jim Ryan: "VR still unproven, but really intriguing" (It’s not clear when this interview was conducted)

reptilex

Banned

Everyday the bad signals, in prospective terms, keep stacking against the PS5 (I was a PS fanboy until late PS4 and never had an Xbox in case it needs be said).

What the heck does this interviews means, that they're not going to pursue one of the biggest competitive advantage, value-adding and best selling VR Headset they had for the PS4?

Keep in mind that while not everybody is sold on VR (for either a lack of budget, loser boomer skepticism or being couch potato dumb dumbs), something that has potential, prospective or concrete appeal for several millions of player (5mil+ PSVR sold and $2.5bn revenue from headsets and apps) should be a crucial strategical aspect for their platform...and Jim Ryan's statement is yet another bad signal...

Thaedolus

Gold Member
kuJ4YmA.jpg

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Everyday the bad signals, in prospective terms, keep stacking against the PS5 (I was a PS fanboy until late PS4 and never had an Xbox in case it needs be said).

What the heck does this interviews means, that they're not going to pursue one of the biggest competitive advantage, value-adding and best selling VR Headset they had for the PS4?

Keep in mind that while not everybody is sold on VR (for either a lack of budget, loser boomer skepticism or being couch potato dumb dumbs), something that has potential, prospective or concrete appeal for several millions of player (5mil+ PSVR sold and $2.5bn revenue from headsets and apps) should be a crucial strategical aspect for their platform...and Jim Ryan's statement is yet another bad signal...

He said something completely reasonable, for once.

No bad news detected here.

LordOfChaos

It’s not clear when this interview was conducted, but Ryan’s words make it seem like Sony is optimistic about the future. “And I think the distinction between what’s a gaming experience and a non-gaming experience which, hitherto, has been really clear, really binary,” Ryan continued, “I think those lines will start to blur and you’ll have VR experiences with a certain sort of light touch of interactivity but which still technically might be games. Some of those could be the finest virtual reality entertainment experiences you will ever have, but they will be very simple to enjoy.”

Seems kinda key to point out the author doesn't know when the interview was conducted (?????) and that he's optimistic for the future and they did end up releasing a VR headset? Why would they turn their head away if PSVR did well?

tn_1235245586270.jpg

Last edited:

jose4gg

Sounds like it hasnt sold how they wanted it to, but they are still interested in it to persue it.

Is something that is still "new", it does not have a massive impact like the Wii had in terms of "new gaming experiences", that's why is still unproven but hey, they are trying to make it be a proven technology, that why it is intriguing...

Sometimes we just read what we want to read, because we just don't want our favorite company to succeed, we want the rivals to fail too 🙂

You can have a Core i9 and an Nvidia 3090 with 64GB of system RAM with the program written specifically for that system, and it still isn't enough power to get VR to where it needs to be.

MrFunSocks

Banned
No matter what people want to say, PS VRs sales were bad. selling to <5% of the install base is a failure. VR hasn't taken off like many thought/hoped it would, because it's just not how the vast majority of people want to play their games.

PSVR 2 is coming. PS5 hardware was made with it mind from the patents we've seen. This isn't "bad news". Just stating the truth. It's early tech that hasn't proven to have staying power to a significant extent, like cloud gaming in sense. Although I would go out as far as to say it has been more successful than both cloud gaming and digital game rental services (to date).

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Wearing big, awkward shit on your head and limited games aren't super attractive.

Fix both and I'm in.

More stuff closer to real games and less on rails stuff please.

ZywyPL

Banned
Well he is the one who knows best how the VR software sells, because that's what it ultimately comes down to, and apparently there's not much money to be made on VR despite all the efforts.

turtlepowa

Banned
Can't blame him, not even 5% of the PS4 owners bought VR and meanwhile it's chaep AS. I think they lost money with all the VR stuff. Still hoping for PSVR2.

Romulus

No matter what people want to say, PS VRs sales were bad. selling to <5% of the install base is a failure. VR hasn't taken off like many thought/hoped it would, because it's just not how the vast majority of people want to play their games.

It doesnt need to sale 50 million headsets, the software sales are there. Theres a reason VR games get sequels and more headsets than ever are coming out. And we don't know psvrs sales, thats from a while back.

VR will convince me when I don't need to wear a dumb thing on my head... so probably never.
You'll be the only one complaining about a pair of VR sunglasses. No one is going to care at that point as it will weigh next to nothing.

Yawn. Sony has said numerous times they are happy with the sales and everyone in the VR industry expected something like this for the first gen. Brush up your history of tech adoption knowledge.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm interested in VR, but like OP said...not spending a bunch of cash on it. PSVR is probably the cheapest...other than quest.

I think my real deterrence is motion sickness and lack of heavy hitting games.

Last edited:
You can have a Core i9 and an Nvidia 3090 with 64GB of system RAM with the program written specifically for that system, and it still isn't enough power to get VR to where it needs to be.
That with perfect eye-tracked foveated rendering and/or DLSS techniques would let you power ultra high resolutions with games looking close to whatever PS6 will enable.

In other words, it would be on the verge of photorealism. 5090/6090 would seal the deal for sure.

Kerotan

He's not wrong. PSVR was a great start however and I'd love if they launched a next gen version next year at some point. With the advancements made since the original and the power of the PS5 it's got so much potential.

Resenge

He's not wrong. PSVR was a great start however and I'd love if they launched a next gen version next year at some point. With the advancements made since the original and the power of the PS5 it's got so much potential.
Well I have some good news, here's a brand new patent from Sony.

fuhmr344x5p51.jpg

Notice any similarities with any advancements? I just can't put my finger tracking? on it.

It looks like inside out tracking being used on this patent, I hope they go with that, as much as I love lighthouse tracking I think inside out tracking is definitely the way forward and much better than the PSVR camera tracking. It just gives you so much more options on where you can setup your headset.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
PSVR 2 is coming. PS5 hardware was made with it mind from the patents we've seen. This isn't "bad news". Just stating the truth. It's early tech that hasn't proven to have staying power to a significant extent, like cloud gaming in sense. Although I would go out as far as to say it has been more successful than both cloud gaming and digital game rental services (to date).
I heard it will be shipping with Vita 2: More Life edition.

sublimit

Banned

Lol at "everyday bad news". Can we stop with the stupid click-bait fanboy titles and stupid threads?

Your post and the title doesn't even make sense FFS.

Last edited:

INC

Its still niche and in its infancy

But still my chosen way to play games now, just needs some solid games, its slowly changing tho

Aidah

Sounds about the most reasonable thing you could say about VR today. Doesn't mean that they aren't going to continue working on it.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Lol at "everyday bad news". Can we stop with the stupid click-bait fanboy titles and stupid threads?

Your post and the title doesn't even make sense FFS.

It is like he didn't even read the article he posted...

It’s not clear when this interview was conducted, but Ryan’s words make it seem like Sony is optimistic about the future. “And I think the distinction between what’s a gaming experience and a non-gaming experience which, hitherto, has been really clear, really binary,” Ryan continued, “I think those lines will start to blur and you’ll have VR experiences with a certain sort of light touch of interactivity but which still technically might be games. Some of those could be the finest virtual reality entertainment experiences you will ever have, but they will be very simple to enjoy.”

Top Bottom