• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheap Metacritic All Time Score Analysis(17045 games were ranked)- How many games have got score above 80?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
So, when i try to write something in Top 3 best bad games? topic, i decided to go check Metacritic- Best Games of All Time list(171 pages) for bad games scored between 50-70.
I clicked page number 40, thinking that will get me where i want quick. But it turns out, games that got scores below 80 starts with page 43!!! Every page contains 100 games so... 4228 games were scored 80 and above. That was a little shocker for me.

So i decide to wrap up this list to show you why you shouldn't get excited when you see 80 points(if you like me and take metacritic seriously that is).

Total games: 17045
95 points and above: 43 games(%0.25)-- this is great
90-94: 465 games(%2.72) --this is ridicilous
85-89: 918 games(%5.8)
80-84: 2802 games(%16.4)
70-79: 5715 games(%33.52)
50-69: 5940 games(%34.84)
0-49: 1162 games(%6.81)

Summary: %75.19 of the games(12817) scored 79 and below. %24.80 of the games scored 80 and above. Gamespot review system describes 8 points as "Great". So there is a great game in every four games!

80 points means average(or maybe a little more) for me from now on. Forza 85 points!

Arkam

After 18 games my Metacritic average (across all skus) is 78.42%.... so close to being average lol

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
how is 80 average?

No games score under 40, so the curve really starts there and no 0. So between 40 and 100, 80 is average? Wut.

:pie_expressionless:I used numbers, but spoke from heart at the end("... average for me"). This is not a "scientific article", i revealed exactly what kind of analysis this is at the very beginning of topic's title. I've just put some numbers together.

So you can relax and make your own judgement about it(y) "Average" means nothing exceptional in my eyes and that's it about it. I didn't use it as a statistical word.

:pie_expressionless:I used numbers, but spoke from heart at the end("... average for me"). This is not a "scientific article", i revealed exactly what kind of analysis this is at the very beginning of topic's title. I've just put some numbers together.

So you can relax and make your own judgement about it(y) "Average" means nothing exceptional in my eyes and that's it about it. I didn't use it as a statistical word.

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I wasn't so much as aiming at you as Metacritic and reviews in general.

🤷‍♂️ At least you were open about it.

If you had to compile a list of 5 games that changed you life, as in, games that you will remember through the decades, what would those 5 titles be?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I wasn't so much as aiming at you as Metacritic and reviews in general.

🤷‍♂️ At least you were open about it.

If you had to compile a list of 5 games that changed you life, as in, games that you will remember through the decades, what would those 5 titles be?

I was expecting an argument between me and a statistic expert so that's a relief:messenger_grinning_sweat:

I don't want derail this thread but in relation to this list and your question, i can say that thoso 5 titles are not in that top 43 games. So yeah, i don't rely heavily on Metacritic scores, but they can be helpful most of the time.

Btw, those 5 games would be; mario(first one-nes), fallout 2, counter strike, mgs 1, pro evolution soccor(old ones)/captain tsubasa 2.

Azurro

Banned

So your "analysis" is meaningless. If you want to know which games are exceptional, look up the ones with 90 and above, I fail to see what you have discovered here, other than not understanding what average even means.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
So your "analysis" is meaningless. If you want to know which games are exceptional, look up the ones with 90 and above, I fail to see what you have discovered here, other than not understanding what average even means.

Please don't stuck with my own outcomes with this list. I thought these numbers are interesting, i wasn't after any groundbreaking discoveries. Maybe my "analysis" is meaningless, that's ok, even i said it is "cheap".

If i ever do a Opencritic version, i will avoid "average" word and use SPSS instead of Windows Calculator plus Notepad.

I was expecting an argument between me and a statistic expert so that's a relief:messenger_grinning_sweat:

I don't want derail this thread but in relation to this list and your question, i can say that thoso 5 titles are not in that top 43 games. So yeah, i don't rely heavily on Metacritic scores, but they can be helpful most of the time.

Btw, those 5 games would be; mario(first one-nes), fallout 2, counter strike, mgs 1, pro evolution soccor(old ones)/captain tsubasa 2.

You won't have an argument from me, I prefer to hear people's genuine interests, although it does look like you found your statistic expert in this thread:messenger_tears_of_joy:

That's a good top 5 list. Although Fallout 2 over Fallout 1 and CS over Half-life 2? Very interesting.

There were some spectacular parts of Fallout 2; the size of the game, the enclave and Frank Horrigan, to name a few. Personally, I always thought that junk town and Harrison ford look-a-like mayor, leaving the vault and walking away into the wasteland when you finish the game, had a special kind of charm. Either way, you can't go wrong with kicking a mutant in the nuts for 95% crit chance :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
...it does look like you found your statistic expert in this thread:messenger_tears_of_joy:

That's a good top 5 list. Although Fallout 2 over Fallout 1 and CS over Half-life 2? Very interesting.
Yes indeed i found an expert:messenger_grinning_smiling:, i have averagewordphobia now.
Fallout 2 was my first Fallout so it made a huge impact on me.
Counter Strike reminds me my teenage years, we were addicted to it, it was basically Fortnite(in terms of popularity) in my hometown. I'm still playing it, maybe i will play it with my children too, so i won't have to tell stories about it.
You're ridicilous.
Isn't it ridicilous that 465 games got nearly perfect(i am scared to use this word but let's have it) scores? Ok, don't count duplicates(or more) on that list, and drop it to 100, even that is too many. My most favourite game is Fallout 2 and it deserves 95 points max. RDR 2 sits near the top with 97 score. I think reviewers are generous people, good for them, but i will reconsider my approach to this points.

MiyazakiProbablyHatesKeanuToo btw.

meirl

Banned
I can easily say that about Nintendo games as well.

come on. Just look at UNCHARTED 4. seriously. It has a 93!!! Metacritic score. 93!

this is ridiculous. What does this game have besides pretty graphics? Everything else is dog shit.
Nintendo Games are at least innovative and always something new.
for example Mario odyssey combined 2D and 3D Platform Gaming in one.
Or just look at Zelda BotW and compare it to the Zelda before that.

but Sony? They are all the same „Movie-like“ experience. Nothing new

come on. Just look at UNCHARTED 4. seriously. It has a 93!!! Metacritic score. 93!

this is ridiculous. What does this game have besides pretty graphics? Everything else is dog shit.

I am shocked by your reply. I did not expect that nor did I made that reply to trigger such a response lmao. Srsly, we all love different things. If you can't accept that then I feel sorry for you. My statement still holds.

wkAqjHs.jpg

Top Bottom