• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Nintendo Power's 100 Best Games of All Time - Sept. 1997

I remember that list. SMK beaten out by MK64 by a margin of nearly 30 spots, Gradius 3 instead of the much slicker and quicker Life Force, and all 3 DKC games but no Game Boy Donkey Kong '94 made me a sad panda. Not to mention my personal disagreement with LttP's placement, Moblins be damned. Yep, I've been long part of the Link's Awakening (not to mention Zelda II) brigade.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Mario Kart 64 was great, my first game on the N64 and the first game I spent sleepless nights on.
I will never forget the 6.9 score on IGN (later changed, same thing happened with Mario 64, which was scored lower than Banjo Kazooie).

Anyway Lufia 2 isn't on the list, but there is the much inferior Lufia 1.

Richelieu

There are some truly awesome games on there, but how does Rescue Rangers make it and not Duck Tales?! That just doesn't make sense. And no Battle of Olympus? I know there were a lot of great games but sheesh! At least I can forgive them for not putting XCOM on there since they wouldn't include computer games.

bryehn

Richelieu said:
There are some truly awesome games on there, but how does Rescue Rangers make it and not Duck Tales?! That just doesn't make sense. And no Battle of Olympus? I know there were a lot of great games but sheesh! At least I can forgive them for not putting XCOM on there since they wouldn't include computer games.

Duck Tales was the shit.

It's hard to disagree with Mario 64. I think many would feel it's somewhere near the top. I've always felt this way and the more Galaxy approaches the more inclined I am to download the bitch on my Wii.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Interestingly enough, Nintendo Power gave half of these games shitty or mediocre reviews when they were first released. I have an archive of every single Nintendo power review from issues 1-135 and 180-current (if anyone feels like doing some legwork for me or typing the reviews from the issues in between, I'd love to finish the archive and get it online) and man did they miss the fucking mark in early years.

Pokemon is probably the biggest example. I don't have the archive on my work computer, but IIRC it got a 7.2 or so (I can't remember what rating scale they were on at that point, but I think it would convert to a 7.2 if you used a ten point scale) and the review text was basically "neat concept but boring as hell, bad presentation."... and then by a few issues later, Pokemon was the big thing and suddenly they loved it retroactively.

Stumpokapow said:
and then by a few issues later, Pokemon was the big thing and suddenly they loved it retroactively.

Not quite a correct chronology. NP was promoting Pokemon far in advance of its North American release. Even though they said it was big in Japan, at the time I didn't understand at all why they were trying to build so much hype for it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
leroy hacker said:
Not quite a correct chronology. NP was promoting Pokemon far in advance of its North American release. Even though they said it was big in Japan, at the time I didn't understand at all why they were trying to build so much hype for it.

This is certainly true; their "what's going on in Japan" section was very pro-Pokemon, several times talking about it. Previews were fairly positive as well.

But the review itself was thoroughly neutral and all coverage after the review was unabashedly positive. And it's not like they've taken the stance that Pokemon is a good game that is GREATLY enhanced by the phenomenon it spawned... they've just erased the past and claimed that Pokemon has always been hot shit.

Ok I'm going to play Mario 64 for the first time.

Forgive me I never had a 64, I skipped it entirely for a Playstation instead.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
watkinzez said:
That list is riding a pretty big N64 high. And DKC3 the best of the trilogy? Err.. yeah.

All top lists are slanted towards contemporary hits. This is why sensible top lists exclude the last few years worth of product to gain historical perspective. Consider that in Sep 1997, DKC3 was very new, and the N64 was still hot shit.

The same list written a year later would have substantially deflated Wave Race and other N64 games and probably would not have DKC3 at all.

CassSept

BishopLamont said:
Ok I'm going to play Mario 64 for the first time.

Forgive me I never had a 64, I skipped it entirely for a Playstation instead.
What O_O
I mean, damn, ive started playing in 2000, and still ive cleared SM64 few times >_>
Go and play it
Now

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
10 Worst Games Of All Time

Games were picked from the libraries of the NES, Super NES, Game Boy, Virtual Boy and N64. This was published in September of 1997.

10. The Adventures Of Bullwinkle
If only Boris and Natasha had succeeded in blowing up this stinker the rest of the world would not have the tainted memory of Bullwinkle being pelted by boulders because the game's play control was about as responsive as a dead moose.
9. Color A Dinosaur
Imagine Mario Paint without anything fun in it and you've pretty much got this barker from Virgin Games. Even the producer of the game (Seth, wherever you are) would roll his eyes when reminded of this prehistoric patsy. Thankfully, it has long since gone extinct.
8. Beethoven
Hey, anyone smell something? Beethoven for Game Boy was based on the popular movie, but the horrendous play control made this game about as popular as a Saint Bernard's cold, wet nose in your armpit.
7. Michael Jordan In the Windy City
Not that this game was even bad, but it wins the award for Totally Blowing the Best License in the Universe. What's next, Michael Saves Nike Town?
6. Friday the 13th
After playing a few minutes of this aardvark, you wanted Jason to slaughter all the counselors and then you. Anything so it would just end.
5. Pit-Fighter
Slow, awkward and dumb is no way to go through life, son.
4. AD&D Heroes of the Lance
Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. It was actually possible to beat this dog in less than five minutes if you mapped out the maze.
3. Shaq Fu
Shaq, transported into another dimension, must battle weird fighters. It is not humanly possible to come up with a worst idea than this.
2. Barbie's Super Model
Actually, this is a worse idea than Shaq Fu. Barbie sets up a tent, or does she? The controls are so bad on this game that the poor doll can hardly get dressed. It's an insult simply to be on the same planet as this game.
1. Bebe's Kids
No game in the annals of Nintendo history has scored a whopping zero, but Bebe's Kids attempted to go where no game has gone before. The play control was so bad that some players claimed that it was like trying to perform Swan Lake with an elephant strapped to your back.

Games were picked from the libraries of the NES, Super NES, Game Boy, Virtual Boy and N64. This was published in September of 1997.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
By the way, Nintendo Power gave Bebe's Kids a slightly above average review when it was originally released. And by that I don't mean like "5.5/10 is slightly above the numerical midpoint of the range", I mean "The tone of the review was slightly positive and emphasized some of the good aspects".

Unfortunately, as Play Magazine continues to demonstrate, no magazine wants to mea culpa giving bad reviews to good games or good reviews to bad games.

timmy

Wow, that's a much more sound top 10 than I'm used to seeing from gaming mags. If I was gonna split hairs, I'd bicker over MK 64's inclusion, but even then, 9 out of 10 ain't bad.

guys, Guys, GUYS! There is one thing I think we can ALL agree on.

Mega Man at #19? Not Mega Man II or III? Those two aren't even on the list of the top 100? WTF?

This list fails for that simple fact alone.

Windu

Skiptastic said:
guys, Guys, GUYS! There is one thing I think we can ALL agree on.

Mega Man at #19? Not Mega Man II or III? Those two aren't even on the list of the top 100? WTF?

This list fails for that simple fact alone.

Mega Man = #20

K' Dash

DK games were put backwards, everyone knows the best is DK Country, not DK 3 as listed, DK 2 is fine where it is.

Super Metroid deserves better.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Duck Tales was better than at least 40 games on that list.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Windu said:

9. Color A Dinosaur

8. Beethoven

6. Friday the 13th

5. Pit-Fighter

3. Shaq Fu

2. Barbie's Super Model

1. Bebe's Kids

Where's OoT?

tnw

Banned
no virtual boy games? :lol

funny how that list is pretty much true for me 10 years later.

and demon's crest is waaaay better than super ghouls and ghosts.

SCReuter

Oblivion said:
[Ten Worst Games Of All Time]

Where's OoT?
You know, this issue actually featured a nice preview of Ocarina of Time. Back then, it was still known simply as Zelda 64 and looked nothing like the final product.

Darkpen

Banned
I like the fact that they have Tetris Attack in their top 20 (for those who don't know, it was the humble beginning of what we know now as Planet Puzzle League).

Windu

SCReuter said:
You know, this issue actually featured a nice preview of Ocarina of Time. Back then, it was still known simply as Zelda 64 and looked nothing like the final product.

heh yeah im looking at it right now, only one page of text though. Looks alot different than the release version. Here ya go:
I'm Bored said:
Finally, Miyamoto spoke to us about the story and setting of the most anticipated of upcoming N64 games. The biggest news is that Ganon will return as the bad boy of Hyrule. As Zelda fans know, Ganon has a thing for the Triforce and Princess Zelda. In the new adventure, Zelda will once again fall into the villain's clutches.

Part of the game will explain why Ganon, once a lowly thief, became such a twisted despot. As for the setting, Miyamoto told us that the world "is a size that would be difficult to cross in an entire game day. That's why Link will be able to drive a vehicle." He didn't tell us exactly what sort of vehicle - a Linkoln, perhaps. Miyamoto also described several areas, mentioning mountains, valleys, a deep "fairy" forest, and the mythical Zola Lake. Surrounding Hyrule Castle will be a bustling town.

Other changes include ten sword motions and a "big, two-fisted sword." We'll also find several types of arrows and be able to shoot bows in different ways. EAD used motion capture for the fighting animations, so we can expect a high level of realism. In the videos we received, the animation looks fast and smooth. Some of the most impressive sights are the special effects such as fire, shifting lights and dramatic camera angles and pans for cinematic effects.

A big part of Zelda games has always been the puzzles. Miyamoto stressed that there will be some familiar types of puzzles, but there will be fresh approaches, too, such as the use of the Rumble Pak to give clues.

More than anything, Miyamoto wants players to feel as if they are going to a real place. We'd like to get there, too, but we'll all have to wait until early next year, which is the probable release time for Zelda 64.

I still have that issue. They have a preview for Conker before he went all evil.

Of course the winner of the 100 best codes was the Konami Code.

SCReuter

Windu said:
heh yeah im looking at it right now, only one page of text though. Looks alot different than the release version. Here ya go:
Thanks for the type up.

Little did they know that the game would be delayed till the end of 1998. But yeah, the visuals at the time resembled SM64 moreso than the OoT we ended up with today.

tnw said:
and demon's crest is waaaay better than super ghouls and ghosts.
Both are great (as is the rest of Capcom's 16-bit catalogue), but I find SGnG's twitch gameplay much more addictive, thanks mainly to the rigid jumping mechanics. <3

Dash

Darkpen said:
I like the fact that they have Tetris Attack in their top 20 (for those who don't know, it was the humble beginning of what we know now as Planet Puzzle League).

Yeah, that game rocked! I loved the Yoshi Island motif ^_^.

Saitou

Banned
Windu said:
Wow.

That seems like a poorly translated interview they didn't even make. Two fisted sword? Zola? Vehicle?

Man, NP has come a long way.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Windu said:

9. Color A Dinosaur

8. Beethoven

6. Friday the 13th

5. Pit-Fighter

3. Shaq Fu

2. Barbie's Super Model

1. Bebe's Kids

Aside from the Michael Jordan inclusion (from what I remember, the game wasn't THAT bad), that list is perfect. Heroes of the Lance I remember being terrible, and Bebe's Kids was one of the worst games I've ever played! Family Dog (SNES) is another game I'd put on that list, hell any '90's THQ game belongs.

Link1110

12. The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy)

In many was, Link's Awakening may have been the best of the Zelda games. It was the only game with a walrus, for one thing. The humor, characters, puzzles, and action were all great. The only thing missing was color. Super Game Boy can fix that.
Were they hinting at something?

Top Bottom