• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chess a sport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xabre

Banned
Would you consider Chess to be a sport as in it requires significant mental exertion and stress of play at the highest levels or to be considered a sport does an activity have to involve a certain degree of physical exertion?

This is all in your opinion incidentally, the IOC already officially classify Chess as a sport.

Bobety

hahah i saw a guy recently wearing a shirt that said "Chess- the clever sport!"...i dont think of chess as a sport, more of a recreational activity. When i think sport i think physical excersise

Edit: Dictionary definition of sport- "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively."

pnjtony

I'm gonna vote that it's a boardgame. Just because you have to think hard doesn't make it a sport. I mean do you really have to think that hard when playing baseball? No, just hit the dumb thing and book it.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I don't think it's a sport. As far as I know ballroom dancing doesn't count as a sport (though maybe I'm wrong) and that falls into the criteria more than chess.

xabre

Banned
As far as I know ballroom dancing doesn't count as a sport (though maybe I'm wrong)

I believe it is. Similar things like figure skating and floor gymnastics are so I don't see why ballroom dancing would be any different.

What about supposed sports like shooting, table tennis, equestrian, lawn bowls or the ever hilarious curling, all considered sports yet require minimal physical exertion on the part of the athlete (then again they sweep pretty hard with their Nike broom sticks in curling lol). And what about things like the downhill ski jumping where you just slide down a hill and let gravity and inertia do the work for you or bobsled with a little run at the start and a nice rest thereafter. Where is the line between insufficient and sufficient physical activity required to be classified as a sport?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Bobety said:
Edit: Dictionary definition of sport- "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively."

you move chess pieces with your hands.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Unlike those other sports which have some degree of physical activity, chess has about as much as typing this message. Probably even less.

Maybe I'd give you shooting.

So is monopoly a sport too? How about scrabble? Oooh, mousetrap? I love that one.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Mama Smurf said:
Unlike those other sports which have some degree of physical activity, chess has about as much as typing this message. Probably even less.

Maybe I'd give you shooting.

So is monopoly a sport too? How about scrabble? Oooh, mousetrap? I love that one.

the definition doesnt quantify "physical".

xabre

Banned

Incidentally the IOC also consider Bridge a sport although I wouldn't have the foggiest how to play it. Anything with dice or random variation is based on chance so that's out; there's your board games.

What about Darts?

I would classify darts as a sport.

Dilbert

Dictionaries be damned -- the definition of "sport" ought to be "a competitive activity in which physical skill is required to win." It isn't enough that sport include some vague reference to "physical activity" -- the real essence of a sport is that you have to do something with your body which others can't in order to win.

So, by that definition, bridge and chess are out (as they should be), and darts would be in. (Of course, any international darts championship should have mandatory drinking by the competitors...)

DaveH

So action videogaming, by virtue of dexterity and reflexes should be a sport by your criteria? Or is it out?

karasu

It's a game, which is all most sports are. Some are more based in physical attributes, others rely on intelligence, who the fuck cares? Shooting a ball into a little hoop isn't more difficult to chess, it's just a different game with different rules. Who cares what it's called @_@

Socreges

Banned
Chess is not a sport, imo. Many other board games like it require mental exertion, but we're not about to call them sports just because they're not nearly as popular.

Darts and Pool require very little physical exertion, but that's still where the difficulty comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom