• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago PD respond to call of agitated man, somehow kill him & his neighbour

Status
Not open for further replies.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-police-shooting-20151226-story.html
Chicago police shot and killed a man and a woman as officers responded to a domestic disturbance at a West Garfield Park home early Saturday, according to police and relatives of the victims.

The statement contained no other details, but a source said the man — identified by relatives as 19-year-old Quintonio LeGrier — was carrying a bat and was threatening his father when police were called. No gun was recovered at the scene.

Relatives said LeGrier was studying engineering at Northern Illinois University but recently was struggling with mental issues. “I was praying with him because he wasn’t acting like himself,” said LeGrier’s great-aunt, Betty Turner, 56.

The other person killed was identified by family as Bettie Jones, a 55-year-old mother of five who lived on the first floor of the two-flat where the shooting occurred. LeGrier's father lives on the second floor.

Latisha Jones said she woke to gunfire and found her mother with a gunshot wound to the neck. “She wasn’t saying anything,” Jones said. “I had to keep checking for a pulse."

Relatives said police were called to the home by LeGrier's father because his son was agitated and carrying a metal bat, family members said.

“His father was scared because that’s not his character,” said LeGrier's mother, Janet Cooksey, 49, who was not present at the time of the shooting.

LeGrier’s father told Jones downstairs not to approach his son and to keep an eye out for police.

Responding officers were told by a dispatcher that a "male caller said someone is threatening his life. It's also coming in as a domestic. The 19-year-old son is banging on his bedroom door with a baseball bat."

Officers from District 11 arrived at the home around 4:25 a.m.

The officers "were confronted by a combative subject resulting in the discharging of the officer's weapon, fatally wounding two individuals," the police statement said.

The statement had no specifics, but the shooting appeared to have happened as LeGrier came out the front door, according to a relative of the teen. Evidence markers were placed on the sidewalk leading to the porch.

It was not clear how Jones was shot. Her daughter said she found her mother on the floor. She said she put her hand up to her mother’s face and she was still breathing. Jones was taken to a hospital where she was pronounced dead.
More at the link.

Update:
Father of 19-year-old killed by Chicago Police: Officer knew 'he had messed up'

The father of a 19-year-old man shot fatally by a Chicago Police officer Saturday morning said the cop knew he “messed up” after firing at the man and a 55-year-old neighbor who also was killed on the West Side.

Antonio LeGrier told the Chicago Sun-Times he saw the white or Hispanic officer standing on the grass 30 feet from the bodies after he heard the gunshots in the 4700 block of West Erie Street.

“F—, no, no, no. I thought he was lunging at me with the [baseball] bat,” LeGrier said the officer yelled following the shooting that claimed the lives of college student Quintonio LeGrier and Bettie R. Jones.

“In my opinion, he knew he had messed up. It was senseless,” Antonio LeGrier, 47, said of the dark-haired officer who had fired.

“He knew he had shot blindly, recklessly into the doorway and now two people are dead because of it.”

Coming barely a month after a white officer was charged with murdering 17-year-old Laquan McDonald last year, Saturday morning’s shooting that killed two African-Americans increased the pressure already on the police and Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

After learning of the double fatality, and the shooting and wounding of another man later in the day by Chicago Police, Emanuel issued a statement:

“Anytime an officer uses force the public deserves answers, and regardless of the circumstances, we all grieve anytime there is a loss of life in our city. With that in mind, I have been informed that the Independent Police Review Authority has opened investigations into each shooting, and that all evidence will be shared with the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office for additional review in the days ahead.”

CPD issued a statement Saturday saying officers involved in the shooting — the statement did not give a precise number — “will be placed on routine administrative duties for a period of 30 days.
” It noted the policy, implemented by interim Supt. John Escalante, will be the new protocol for all police-involved shootings.

That statement also extended condolences for the shooting of Jones and pledged the department’s full cooperation with the investigation by the Independent Police Review Authority.

Responding officers, according to the statement, “were confronted by a combative subject resulting in the discharging of the officer’s weapon which fatally wounded two individuals. The 55 year old female victim was accidentally struck and tragically killed. The department extends it’s deepest condolences to the victim’s family and friends.”

The elder LeGrier said his son was home for the holiday break from Northern Illinois University, where he majored in electrical engineering technology.

The younger LeGrier, who had been in foster care since he was four years old, was brought Friday morning by his mother to the building on Erie that his father owns, Antonio LeGrier said. The father said he invited his son to a family holiday gathering, but he chose to stay in the second-floor unit where his father lives.

Quintonio LeGrier’s mother, Janet Cooksey, said she was angry with police and wanted a personal apology from the mayor.

“When is this going to stop?” said Cooksey, who last saw her son on Friday. “My son wasn’t a thug on the street or a violent person.”

Because of psychological issues, Cooksey said he could become “hyper” and “a little loud” at times.

Antonio LeGrier said his son tried to bust the door open, but he kept him from breaking it down and called for police.

Soon, there was silence.

Antonio LeGrier said he then called Jones, who lived a floor below. He said he warned her, “My son is a little irate. Do not open the door unless the police arrive.”

Antonio LeGrier said Jones told him she saw his son outside with a baseball bat.

When police arrived, Antonio LeGrier said he heard Bettie R. Jones yell, “Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!”

Antonio LeGrier had reached the third step, as he made his way down from the second floor, when he heard the gunshots.

“I identified myself as the father and I held my hands out,” Antonio LeGrier said.

He said he then saw his son and Jones lying in the foyer. Antonio LeGrier said Quintonio LeGrier was still alive but Jones was not moving.

“My son had some emotional problems. Did it warrant him getting shot and killed? I don’t believe it,” Antonio LeGrier said.

Antonio LeGrier said he has since spoken with police and the Independent Police Review Authority — as well as two civil-right lawyers. Police had told him that his son was shot seven times and had called 911 before he did.

Officers responded to a call of a domestic disturbance, according to a statement from the Chicago Police Office of News Affairs.

“Upon arrival, officers were confronted by a combative subject resulting in the discharging of the officer’s weapon, fatally wounding two individuals,” the statement read.

Jones was pronounced dead at Loretto Hospital at 4:51 a.m., the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office said. LeGrier was pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital at 5:14 am.

Neighbors said Jones was shot in the neck soon after she opened the door for police.

Jones’ daughter Latisha Jones said she woke up when she heard three gunshots. She walked to the front door and saw her mother bleeding on the ground, she said.

“She wasn’t saying anything,” Latisha Jones said, who added that she could feel her mother breathing before she was taken away by paramedics.

Latisha Jones said that police shot her mother from outside the home after she opened the door.

As other family members nodded, she said, “Don’t open the door when the Chicago Police come. Don’t even call. They come to kill. Serve and protect? They should take that off their car and put, ‘We kill.’ Go to Iraq and fight. Serve in war, instead of this marshal law.”

Antonio LeGrier and Glover-Jennings noted that some other homes on the blocks have security cameras that might have recorded the shooting.

“They’re idiots,” Hatch said of the police. “All the spotlight on them and they shoot up this place? These people are out of control.”

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/...old-killed-chicago-police-officer-knew-messed

The victims:

Quintonio2.jpg

FullSizeRender-13.jpg

Sam Charles
‏@samjcharles

Daughter of 47-year-old woman shot by police says she was shot opening a door for officers
https://twitter.com/samjcharles/status/680714386890190848?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The officers "were confronted by a combative subject resulting in the discharging of the officer's weapon, fatally wounding two individuals," the police statement said.
I fucking hate copspeak.

"resulting in the discharging of the officer's weapon", as if it somehow the gun fired itself by its own accord.

Takuan

I wonder what kind of help his son was getting for his mental issues? It sounds like the neighbor was hit by a stray bullet. Sad shit.

Tugatrix

the news report is confuse but as I understood police used a gun to resolve a situation involving a blunt instrument and ended up shooting a person behind the suspect. In police academy they reinforce the need to be aware of the background before shooting so they fail in their duty

Volimar

Goddamn, 911 is like russian roulette

If you're dealing with someone with mental issues you really shouldn't call the police unless you're afraid for your life. Otherwise it's really is like Russian Roulette.

A combative mentally ill person with a bat? His odds weren't good. Sadder still that a bystander was killed.

Savitar

So one bullet accidentally hit the second person by mistake from what is being said. What a damn tragic situation.

Velcro Fly

Dude had a bat

And his entire family is saying he was dealing with mental issues and hadn't been himself lately and that was why they called. Is there no other way to resolve this other than being fucking Rambo?

Nope just fire indiscriminately at the suspect and kill him and his neighbor.

The systemic problem in many police forces is the worst in Chicago, where business as usual and the political landscape means none of this shit ever gets brought up. The problem goes way beyond McCarthy who I think tried to do a good job but ultimately didn't want to bust like thousands of shit cops. It goes beyond the McDonald killing and video and subsequent cover up. It is a culture that needs to be destroyed and rebuilt because there will never be public trust again.

akira28

um...that's not how you respond to domestics Chitown PD...

edit: oh jesus...she was downstairs and still got shot.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
These are trained law enforcement professionals entering a scene where they've been given information about the situation and they still manage to kill an innocent person. Meanwhile in the gun thread, ignoring the statistics, we have folks saying they'd protect their home in an imaginary invasion scenario like a more clinical John Wick.

Savitar

If our society at large was more capable of dealing with mental issues this might not have happened in the first place. The world as a whole is still so far behind on that.

entremet

I don't know why, but I've always had this kind of romantic image of Chicago. Shit like this is helping cure me of that.

Strange.

Chicago has one of the worst violent crime rates in the US.

It's also one of the most highly segregated cities in the US, which exacerbates these issues.

These are trained law enforcement professionals entering a scene where they've been given information about the situation and they still manage to kill an innocent person. Meanwhile in the gun thread, ignoring the statistics, we have folks saying they'd protect their home in an imaginary invasion scenario like a more clinical John Wick.

Let's be honest here, it's not like you can trust the fucking police anymore.

Slayven

I wonder if there were more out cry if folks were going to doctors with colds, sprain ankles, rashes, and somehow they end up dead .

Taramoor

Obviously his ninja reflexes allowed him to use the metal bat to deflect the first shot as he shadowstepped toward the officer, resulting in the death of an innocent bystander.

Only the officer's quick thinking and reflexes gave him a chance to survive by pulling the trigger multiple times in succession.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I fucking hate copspeak.

"resulting in the discharging of the officer's weapon", as if it somehow the gun fired itself by its own accord.
Nobody ever shoots someone else. "The gun went off."

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Kill anything that is black. Ask questions later. That is the cops piece of shit way.

Volimar

Kill anything that is black. Ask questions later. That is the cops piece of shit way.

You just assume that someone named Quintonio is black? I think we know who the real racist is here.

I couldn't get the pictures in the OP link to show up for me.

Edit: nvm I got them to work. Carry on then.

Beartruck

Strange.

Chicago has one of the worst violent crime rates in the US.

It's also one of the most highly segregated cities in the US, which exacerbates these issues.

Sadly this is true. We've shoved all the minorities together into the crappy parts of the city so we can pretend they aren't there. Not like Mayor Rahm gives a shit, he's too busy closing underfunded schools.

Could you ever? Jesus, this is why I will never call the fucking cops for anything. Rest in peace to both victims. What a horrible way to start the new year, God bless their families.

Yes? Most rural and small town law forces are amazingly laid back. The bigger the cities get, the more trigger happy the police seem to be.

Volimar

"He's gone, he's gone. Seven times he was shot," Cooksey said. "He didn't have a gun. He had a bat. One or two times would have brought him down.

“You call the police, you try to get help and you lose a loved one," she said. "What are they trained for? Just to kill? I thought that we were supposed to get service and protection. I mean, my son was an honors student. He's here for Christmas break, and now I've lost him.

Heartbreaking.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Yes? Most rural and small town law forces are amazingly laid back. The bigger the cities get, the more trigger happy the police seem to be.

As a person of color that grew up in the south, the rural and small town cops are the ones that I trust least.

Trojan X

Banned
To be fair, according to the manual that police seem to go by these days, tasers are only for use after the suspect is already cuffed.

That's stupidity.

The pd screwed up again. Now expect a paid vacation, a not guilty verdict, and the killer police be back on the streets. Why? Because it's america, land of the free for those in power.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I fucking hate copspeak.

Yeah, though I'm sure they do it to just to cover their asses legally
not that they need to, being fucking cops and all

Nivash

This is way too common and not just in the US, police officers in any country rarely seem to be sufficiently trained to deal with aggressive mentally ill people. And yet they're the ones that are supposed to be. The woman had the worst possible luck though, the probability of getting fatally hit by a stray round through a wall has to be disappearingly small.

Police need to be taught that standard deescalation methods don't work on people suffering through a psychiatric episode, odds are it will just provoke them and trigger a confrontation. Being calm, collected and acting casually like the situation isn't tense at all is more likely to calm them down than trying to intimidate them into submission. A friend of mine has worked a lot in psychiatric emergency clinics and he's a huge, muscly, scary looking dude. He's not their first choice at all if they get a psychotic or manic patient who's acting aggressively - he's the guy they keep in reserve. Their first choice is the grandmotherly nurse in her 60s because she's the least likely person to be perceived as provocative.

PopeReal

The small town cops in eastern Oregon are by and large uneducated and assholes to people they don't know. They think they know everything. I would never trust them in a high tension situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom