• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago PD respond to call of agitated man, somehow kill him & his neighbour

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
Didn't stand up for them. They fucked up.
But your comment infers that you indeed think that way.

Honestly, there is no way that you genuinely 100% believe that posters mean every single officer in the known world, ever. Do you really think that? How do you deal with people speaking in general terms in person, or in the gaming side? Do you rush to every post and declare that "not every single person at EA is bad guys, come on!" Or, in general, do you understand that EA has shitty behavior and people are commenting on that general experience. Use any example you want. There is no way you came to that conclusion.

kmag

There appear to have been three officer involved fatal shootings in the UK this year. One was a gun wielding nut job who had already fired off multiple shots, one was a guy who tried to break some other guys who were being held on gun charges out of a prison van, and one appears to have been a domestic dispute gone out of control, in which the person shot had a firearm and discharged it at or around police.

The one with guys trying to break out the guys from the prison transfer has resulted in the firearms officer being charged almost immediately. The guy shot was unarmed. A single shot was fired by all accounts and it seems to have been a slip or "accidental" discharge.

Trojan X

Banned
The one with guys trying to break out the guys from the prison transfer has resulted in the firearms officer being charged almost immediately. The guy shot was unarmed. A single shot was fired by all accounts and it seems to have been a slip or "accidental" discharge.

There you go. Now if that was the US, all cases would have been the police was innocent and he would receive a paid vacation.

Trojan X

Banned
i am just fucking done, over and over, this is too damn repetitive.
so burned out on this shit.

Time to think about relocation or continue to stay in equilibrium land where the only think the police don't do yet is gun kata. ... That was a serious post. :(

commedieu

Banned
Time to think about relocation or continue to stay in equilibrium land where the only think the police don't do yet is gun kata. ... That was a serious post. :(

soon..

mckinney911.gif

GJS

I'd be surprised if any UK domestic ended in police killing someone like ever .....

Also I'd be confident that the police would be trained to talk people down and de-escalate a situation in a professional manner.

Of course if they were worried that a gun could be pulled out of anyone's pocket at any moment in time I'm sure they'd be a lot more cautious and reckless.

Honestly the only time you should need a gun is when dealing with fucking criminals, robbers, gangsters etc.

The UK police have some semblance of a rational response to emotionally elated people, psychosis, depression, etc involved in violent or out of character incidents.

It's very rare that you hear of anyone dying when the police have responded and attempted to take someone to a place of safety under section 135 & 136.

Look at the Raoul Moat manhunt in 2010. The police spent hours negotiating and trying to stop him killing himself. All after he had shot and killed 1 person, and injured 2 others including a police officer. In the end they shot him with tasers in an attempt to stop him shooting himself but it failed.

What would an american police response have been?

commedieu

Banned
The UK police have some semblance of a rational response to emotionally elated people, psychosis, depression, etc involved in violent or out of character incidents.

It's very rare that you hear of anyone dying when the police have responded and attempted to take someone to a place of safety under section 135 & 136.

Look at the Raoul Moat manhunt in 2010. The police spent hours negotiating and trying to stop him killing himself. All after he had shot and killed 1 person, and injured 2 others including a police officer. In the end they shot him with tasers in an attempt to stop him shooting himself but it failed.

What would an american police response have been?

You know, I wonder if its cultural. In the UK, are you frowned upon for being in need of mental help? I can't help but feel its a weakness in America, seen as one. Or its shunned. We used to throw insane people in hospitals to save face for families. I dont know how that would eventually water down to the mindset that you are free to execute, but I do wonder.

What is going on there? I've seen this gif several times and I still don't know what I'm looking at.

You just have to watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R46-XTqXkzE

google police pool party, they were involved in a noise complaint.

GJS

You know, I wonder if its cultural. In the UK, are you frowned upon for being in need of mental help? I can't help but feel its a weakness in America, seen as one. Or its shunned. We used to throw insane people in hospitals to save face for families. I dont know how that would eventually water down to the mindset that you are free to execute, but I do wonder.

Mental health is still very much stigmatized in the UK.

The police are the front-line in our response to acute mental health needs, and seem to take it seriously as part of their job.
Outside of crisis teams and on-call nurses/doctors, regular community mental health services only work 9-5 Monday to Friday, everything else is down to the police plus A&E departments.
Many police forces have psychiatric nurses who work directly with them now.

MicH

These stories pop up every damn day. How long until people don't care anymore and it will become normal and accepted?

Dryk

Fuck.

Please stop killing people.

Even if the person has a bat or a knife please have some fucking restraint. Please
Change is only going to come from the top. As long as police are told and encouraged to shoot first and ask questions later it's going to keep happening. In the meantime it's worth keeping in mind that you shouldn't call the cops on an angry person you want to live.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The lesson that people should be learning here is to not call the police, especially on family, unless you really feel like it's time for desperate measure. I can't say for sure how I would have handled the situation if it were my family member but what I do know is that two people are dead now.

Remember the story of the dad who called the cops on his son, to teach him a lesson for taking the truck without permission? I don't know if death was the lesson he wanted taught.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/7/iowa-police-shoot-teen-dead-after-father-calls-cop/

People need to stop calling the police on family on non life and death situations.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Did they even try to reason with him? Did they even talk with him? I mean what the hell were they thinking??

I just can't imagine these things happening in my country.

Edit: And I just read that he was shot 7 times? 7?

So if I'm reading this right, the police were aware that this kid had a bat. No reports of a gun or gunshots and yet they go in guns first and end up killing two people.

Aren't they trained to defuse situations like this? Aren't tasers an option? Why does it always have to be guns?

Didn't stand up for them. They fucked up.
But your comment infers that you indeed think that way.

Please explain how it reads that way. I didn't say anything about all cops. What I said was that the Chicago PD is well known for ignoring complaints about their bad behavior, espcially when it comes from black citizens, and there is data to back that up. If you want to ignore reality and pretend that I am labeling all cops when I mentioned one specific police department, then that's on you

So if I'm reading this right, the police were aware that this kid had a bat. No reports of a gun or gunshots and yet they go in guns first and end up killing two people.

Aren't they trained to defuse situations like this? Aren't tasers an option? Why does it always have to be guns?

American cops are typically minimally trained in general. I saw in one article that the average training they receive is something like nine weeks. Think about that; nine weeks of training for a life or death job.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just how long are baseball bats in America? How could someone possibly lunge at a cop from distance before getting tassered?

shem935

Banned
Did they even try to reason with him? Did they even talk with him? I mean what the hell were they thinking??

I just can't imagine these things happening in my country.

Edit: And I just read that he was shot 7 times? 7?

Hey man, can't be too careful his bleeding was very dehumanizing.

watershed

Banned
When policing black communities, police officers end situations, they don't diffuse or resolve conflict. They end lives, and that's their approach to policing black communities. Any situation, any offense can be met with deadly force. It's so clearly wrong, would never be applied to white communities, and is inherently racist.

hwalker84

When policing black communities, police officers end situations, they don't diffuse or resolve conflict. They end lives, and that's their approach to policing black communities. Any situation, any offense can be met with deadly force. It's so clearly wrong, would never be applied to white communities, and is inherently racist.

Amen

ScribbleD

Just saw the mayor's speech on CNN. Guy was in tears and could barely get his words out. Unfortunately, I doubt a teary-eyed mayor is going to change anything even slightly.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Just saw the mayor's speech on CNN. Guy was in tears and could barely get his words out. Unfortunately, I doubt a teary-eyed mayor is going to change anything even slightly.

Well, if his tears were sincere a person in power who actually seems to give a damn is a start, I guess.

watershed

Banned

Rahm? He's full of shit. He is from Chicago. He knows the police have always been corrupt. He has done nothing. He protects them. His tears mean nothing.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Australian comedian entirely ignorant of US culture and insulated from the threat of gun violence presents scenario where he is the victim of home invasion by machete-wielding maniacs who tie up him and his girlfriend, and argues against having a means of defending himself because he finds it implausible to access a home defense firearm while he's naked in bed, because it won't be holstered on his naked body, or will be readily accessible but a liability to children in the home, or if it is safely locked away it will not be accessible quickly enough to matter.

Okay.

qU8KkjC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom