• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China censors Winnie the pooh comparison to Xi Jinping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derwind

Not sure if posted:

Link to Article

National Post said:
China’s army of Internet censors has picked an unusual target in its battle to wipe dissent from the country’s computer screens: Winnie the Pooh and Tigger.

Following the recent California summit between Presidents Barack Obama and Xi Jinping, Chinese micro-bloggers picked up on an uncanny resemblance between a photograph of the two strolling through the Sunnylands estate and a cartoon image of AA Milne’s cartoon creations. The two images were published side by side this week on the Chinese social media site Weibo.

But the posts were almost immediately “harmonized”, as censors appeared to take exception to the comparison between their president and a podgy bear with a penchant for honey. Hong Kong’s South China Morning Post said overzealous censors had “nipped in the bud what could have been a positive PR campaign, tailor-made for President Xi Jinping”.

A recent Harvard study, which analysed millions of micro-blog posts, concluded that those “with negative, even vitriolic, criticism of the state, its leaders, and its policies are not more likely to be censored” than others. The study found that the censors’ key aim was to curtail “collective action by silencing comments that represent, reinforce, or spur social mobilization”. There is no suggestion that Winnie the Pooh or Tigger had been plotting to stir up social unrest in China.

obama-pooh.jpg

PBalfredo

But the posts were almost immediately “harmonized”, as censors appeared to take exception to the comparison between their president and a podgy bear with a penchant for honey.

Is that seriously the term the censors use? That's incredibly Orwellian.

Link

The Autumn Wind
But the posts were almost immediately “harmonized”, as censors appeared to take exception to the comparison between their president and a podgy bear with a penchant for honey.
This line cracked me up.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That image wasn't made after the photo? I can barely believe the coincidences between them

Amazing

There's something off about the way Obama is walking. It's like his knee being that high and his foot still being on the ground wouldn't actually make him move forward.

It's freaking me out.

Vesmir

Banned
the background with the white pillars and wall even match. I doubt that drawing was made before that picture.

CDX

That image wasn't made after the photo? I can barely believe the coincidences between them

Amazing
Damn I wanted that drawing to be old just for the amazing coincidence.

But, I did a reverse image search of the Winnie the Pooh drawing and google can't find any version of it older than 4 days ago.

TinEye can't find it all.

So yeah, I'm going to assume the pic was drawn after the photo was taken :(

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Bullshit that Pooh & Tigger pic was made before their walking pic.

Still funny though that it was taken so wrongly that it's censored.

Bombadil

Banned
Why are they offended that their President is compared to an adorable bear whose only vice is honey?

Our Presidents are compared to monkeys (Bush) and Hitler (Obama).

Why are they offended that their President is compared to an adorable bear whose only vice is honey?

Our Presidents are compared to monkeys (Bush) and Hitler (Obama).

Admittedly, Pooh is a bear of very little brain.

I'm strangely more interested in the Obama/Tigger comparison. He has the height, thinness and the ears to match, so that works. Of course, then we get into problematic territory, with Tigger having mad hops, and a certain word that rhymes with Tigger.

Bombadil

Banned

I'm strangely more interested in the Obama/Tigger comparison. He has the height, thinness and the ears to match, so that works. Of course, then we get into problematic territory, with Tigger having mad hops, and a certain word that rhymes with Tigger.

I'm proud of myself for not even thinking of that.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
that's got to be the most adorable banned political cartoon ever

And Pooh has yellow skin! So maybe not such a harmless caricature after all...

Kim Jung Un is definitely Eeyore.

I see your point. "Thanks for noticing me pointing at things."

What about Piglet? Trespassers Will is a lot like Kim Jung Un's grandfather, a proud ancestor that he's trying to live up to.

Anyways, I hope no one gets hurt due to this parody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom